• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"The Last Night" (Milkshake Duck incarnate) E3 Trailer [XBO/Win10/Steam 2018]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blindy

Good grief.
That's why I avoid speaking on the matter, because I am admittedly not educated enough to have the know all of what has gone on in the few years it has begun. I have no shame in admitting that.

I just don't really care much for the whole "How dare you buy or play this game" mentality I have seen throughout the thread, that's probably my lone gripe. Otherwise, I can understand the frustration plenty are showing here.

jviggy43

I just don't get that mentality at all, sorry.

I am not an insane person because I would like to try the game based off the trailer. I don't have the time or knowledge to really get involved with "Gamergate" and what not and I don't want that to ruin my enjoyment on games by looking at games with a completely different lens or point of view.
"I don't have time to understand the discussion being had in the very thread ive spent time posting in, thus i am not an insane person".

Opto

Banned
I just don't get that mentality at all, sorry.

I am not an insane person because I would like to try the game based off the trailer. I don't have the time or knowledge to really get involved with "Gamergate" and what not and I don't want that to ruin my enjoyment on games by looking at games with a completely different lens or point of view.

Nice quotes. Someone likes the president's tweets style.

How much you want to bet I find examples of you finding time and knowledge for other subjects that are more trivial to the gaming scene than the alt-right's internet team

I am being cagey because it looks like people automatically assume I am a GG troll or something.
I used the KKK as an example, because its an extreme example of how liberal the US government decided to be when it comes to free speech.
i guess i should have said "you" instead of "GAF".

I edited it later in my previous post:
My question basically is: Should video games be curated based on political/moral views expressed in the game?
(Edit: because it seems that a lot of people here would be in favor of such an idea. And if it should be curated, who should decide? As an ideal, not necessarily practical.)

I have seen people state they aren't going to buy the game, which makes sense.

And you completely are off the mark with free speech angle. You misinterpret what is going on to suit your needs. Racism is a belief. And the US has laws protecting institutions formed off of beliefs. BUT we have laws against Hate speech. That means an organization can exist whose belief structure is all about hate but they need to keep it to themselves. Once it crosses out into the public it is considered hate speech and is punishable by law. The mere existence of the KKK has nothing to do with freedom of speech.

Blindy

"I don't have time to understand the discussion being had in the very thread ive spent time posting in, thus i am not an insane person".
I've stuck to just a few of the people who are responding back to posts I have made pages ago. I don't have the time or luxury to view every single post in this massive thread.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Have yet to ask the question but is this guy the only one working on the game? If so, forget my next point because if not, what's to say my 10 or 15 dollars isn't supporting some harmless art designer or translator trying to crack into the mainstream in this industry?
Two guys on that team are Gamergaters: this Tim guy, who is lead designer, and the lead writer and producer. Both have voiced explicit support for Gamergate in the past, and are still retweeting Gamergate-related topics (including the writer who retweeted an article like this).

Look, if two of the main devs of the game being supportive of a hate/harassment group isn't enough to convince you to reject this game, then you do you, but don't be surprised if people have a problem with that, and moreover, stop making excuses.

8byte

Banned
No clue where you pulled all that bs from. GJ tho. Keep amusing me, will ya? "Complaining about feminists, muslims, and SJWs?" Hahahaha, what even are you talking about. Ofc i will remove since some freaks already spammed my psn

Poor deflection. No one was spamming you on PSN within the last few hours. You realized that your Reddit profile and PSN ID are the same, and you'd been caught.

I'm out of this thread from this point on, or at least this particular discussion, but consider yourself exposed. Not a single person here believes you are an innocent party. We know what you're here for, dude.

Go forth and troll on, you won't last long here.

✌🏼

Famassu

That's why I avoid speaking on the matter, because I am admittedly not educated enough to have the know all of what has gone on in the few years it has begun. I have no shame in admitting that.

I just don't really care much for the whole "How dare you buy or play this game" mentality I have seen throughout the thread, that's probably my lone gripe. Otherwise, I can understand the frustration plenty are showing here.
I think the whole "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" mentality applies here, except it's even worse because you're not just doing nothing, but actively supporting hateful people even when you've been pointed out that they are not good people. You put "hey, this game has a cool artistic look" above the suffering of a lot of people at the hands of all the neo-nazis of GG/"alt-right".

Blindy

Nice quotes. Someone likes the president's tweets style.

How much you want to bet I find examples of you finding time and knowledge for other subjects that are more trivial to the gaming scene than the alt-right's internet team
Nice assumption, I can't stand Trump nor even go to his twitter or divulge into that mess but very nice assumption.

I work to provide a living for my family and I play games the few hours I have before going back to the 9-5 weekday job. It's not a matter of being ignorant about not being up to date with this couple year long tug of war, I just don't have the time or luxury.

Opto

Banned
Nice assumption, I can't stand Trump nor even go to his twitter or divulge into that mess but very nice assumption.

I work to provide a living for my family and I and I play games the few hours I have before going back to the 9-5 weekday job. It's not a matter of being ignorant about not being up to date with this couple year long tug of war, I just don't have the time or luxury.

And yet you're here not even reading the updated OP.

jviggy43

I've stuck to just a few of the people who are responding back to posts I have made pages ago. I don't have the time or luxury to view every single post in this massive thread.
Or the op, which,by rule, is a requirement here. Also the topic and reasoning behind it has been summed up in posts including the op which takes a maximum of several minutes to get the gist of. Pretending to be ignorant of it to defend a shitty position is rightfully going to get called out because understanding the topic being discussed is a bare minimum to rational conversation. You don't get to circumvent the topic at hand because you want to be willfully ignorant

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.

I work to provide a living for my family and I play games the few hours I have before going back to the 9-5 weekday job. It's not a matter of being ignorant about not being up to date with this couple year long tug of war, I just don't have the time or luxury.

You keep talking about time and luxury but it is just a quick Google search away.

Poor deflection. No one was spamming you on PSN within the last few hours. You realized that your Reddit profile and PSN ID are the same, and you'd been caught.

I'm out of this thread from this point on, or at least this particular discussion, but consider yourself exposed. Not a single person here believes you are an innocent party. We know what you're here for, dude.

Go forth and troll on, you won't last long here.

✌��

Exposed? Hahahahaah, how lovely. Do you accuse everyone you disagree with of trolling?! Time to grow up. So apparently i am advocating hate for STATING on a different PLATFROM that adding black female wehrmacht soldiers to CoD WW2 is ruining the immersion for me. Good to know.

jviggy43

You keep talking about time and luxury but it is just a quick Google search away.
Na, it's a 30 second read in any of the dozens of posts, mod edits, or even the required reading in the Op. He can piss off with that bullshit "I don't have time to understand why what I'm supporting is harming groups of marganilozed people" line of reasoning.

Blindy

And yet you're here not even reading the updated OP.
I hadn't checked page 1 in days.

I'm out of this thread. I'll go back to my enjoyment of video games and stay out of this. I am admittedly not in the know of this current conversation and it's not in ignorance or being a troll. Game caught my attention last week, came into said thread and saw the posts pertaining to some of the controversy and I didn't understand the offensive some were giving posters who wanted to try/play this game.

jviggy43

I hadn't checked page 1 in days.

I'm out of this thread. I'll go back to my enjoyment of video games and stay out of this. I am admittedly not in the know of this current conversation and it's not in ignorance or being a troll. Game caught my attention last week, came into said thread and saw the posts pertaining to some of the controversy and I didn't understand the offensive some were giving posters who wanted to try/play this game.
"I came into this thread to defend a position I had no conception of because I like how pretty the game looks and despite spending the last few pages arguing cannot be bothered to read up on its content to understand why said position is being challenged in the first place."

Your contribution will be missed.

Famassu

Hey, we understand that not everyone has the time to follow the game industry so much that they'd catch all cases like this or time to look into developers making the entertainment they consume. In case of stuff like movies & games that nowadays have hundreds & even thousands of people involved, it's not even impossible or reasonable to expect to check all that up (though we do know official stances of big companies, like EA has a very open transgender & gay supporting stance, so they are good in that regards, at least).

But here is a case where you can't feign ignorance anymore. You came into this thread and now you know these people support a group that has systematically harassed & threatened women, gays, people of colour, muslims, transgender people and people who stand by them. So if you buy this game, you either don't care about the blight of others just because OMGZ GAME SO PRETTY or you support GG's ideals, none of which are a particularly good look on you. You can't go back to "hey, I can't know the political stance/hate group supporting status of everyone involved and thus I just buy games that look interesting" after coming into this thread. This is at least one case that you CAN now make an educated decision of buying or not buying a game with, based on the devs openly admitted bigoted views.

zenspider

OP is informing people that apparently the game was built with GG ideology in mind, so that people, who do not want to support these kind of things financially can, you know, not buy the game, if they don't want to.

People are entitled to do that.

Then the backlash of pretend ignorance, wonky comparisons, gaslighting, and sealioning brought us to this very page.

So, your bait-y questions and pretend "I'm the neutral, rational participant in this discussion" is very very tired at best (re: "Does this only apply to good political opinions?")

Also saying this:
"my opinions aren't so fragile that I can't be exposed to others' views", is an unhelpful, thinly masked insult to people who actually want to talk about this.

I absolutely want to talk about this! I think a discourse is great. That's why I enjoy engaging with perspectives I don't share - particularly in fiction.

I didn't mean for it to be a thinly masked insult - I thought it was a pretty clear jab. This isn't a case like say, Dragon Quest where the politics of the creators are deplorable but have nothing to with the game - if this game truly has those politics in it's fiction (which I'm pretty sure is no longer the case), that interests me in exactly the context of a discussion. Not wanting to engage is the opposite of a discussion.

Hey, we understand that not everyone has the time to follow the game industry so much that they'd catch all cases like this or time to look into developers making the entertainment they consume. In case of stuff like movies & games that nowadays have hundreds & even thousands of people involved, it's not even impossible or reasonable to expect to check all that up (though we do know official stances of big companies, like EA has a very open transgender & gay supporting stance, so they are good in that regards, at least).

But here is a case where you can't feign ignorance anymore. You came into this thread and now you know these people support a group that has systematically harassed & threatened women, gays, people of colour, muslims, transgender people and people who stand by them. So if you buy this game, you either don't care about the blight of others just because OMGZ GAME SO PRETTY or you support GG's ideals, none of which are a particularly good look on you. You can't go back to "hey, I can't know the political stance/hate group supporting status of everyone involved and thus I just buy games that look interesting" after coming into this thread. This is at least one case that you CAN now make an educated decision of buying or not buying a game with, based on the devs openly admitted bigoted views.

Where can i inform myself about GG?! Preferably from a neutral source.

Volphied

Exposed? Hahahahaah, how lovely. Do you accuse everyone you disagree with of trolling?! Time to grow up. So apparently i am advocating hate for STATING on a different PLATFROM that adding black female wehrmacht soldiers to CoD WW2 is ruining the immersion for me. Good to know.

He never said that.

All he said is that despite pretending to be a neutral you have a long history of inflammatory comments on other sites.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-intersect/wp/2014/10/14/the-only-guide-to-gamergate-you-will-ever-need-to-read/?utm_term=.5b81ef501dac

EDIT

There's no such thing as being "neutral" about gamergate, you either support the harassment campaign dedicated to keeping women and minorities out of the industry , or you explicitly speak up against it. It's not a "neutral" issue as there isn't a single net positive about gamergate other than the fact that it helped bring to light how fucked the gaming community can be.

This tho

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
There's no such thing as being "neutral" about gamergate, you either support the harassment campaign dedicated to keeping women and minorities out of the industry , or you explicitly speak up against it. It's not a "neutral" issue as there isn't a single net positive about gamergate other than the fact that it helped bring to light how fucked the gaming community can be.

EDIT:Welp, nvm then. Ծ_Ծ

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.

Man, that first comment....right off the bat.

Sorry Caitlin Dewey, I lost faith in your judgement and integrity after reading:

"Predictably, the debate has also attracted the usual crowd of men’s rights activists, neo-Nazis and other unsavories."

Comparing "men’s rights activists" with "neo-Nazis and other unsavories." just made my blood boil.

Imagine a male journalist writing:

"Predictably, the debate has also attracted the usual crowd of women’s rights activists, neo-Nazis and other unsavories."

Then publishing it in a national newspaper.
If the point of your article is to highlight bias, prejudice and intimidation of people, it might work better if you wrote an article that was itself free of bias and prejudice. Don't you think?

ZeoVGM

Banned
Have yet to ask the question but is this guy the only one working on the game? If so, forget my next point because if not, what's to say my 10 or 15 dollars isn't supporting some harmless art designer or translator trying to crack into the mainstream in this industry?

I believe it is a team of 6 people. And so far, we know that two of those people are terrible, anti-feminist, GamerGate supporters -- the producer and the actual writer of the script, who recently liked an article accusing Zoe Quinn of lying about being harassed.

I absolutely want to talk about this! I think a discourse is great. That's why I enjoy engaging with perspectives I don't share - particularly in fiction.

I didn't mean for it to be a thinly masked insult - I thought it was a pretty clear jab. This isn't a case like say, Dragon Quest where the politics of the creators are deplorable but have nothing to with the game - if this game truly has those politics in it's fiction (which I'm pretty sure is no longer the case), that interests me in exactly the context of a discussion. Not wanting to engage is the opposite of a discussion.

Your initial quote / jab implied that people react towards the premise of the game the way that they do, because they are fragile, unsure of their opinion and stand points. So all you do is just actively trying to undermine the legitimacy of another's opinion, which in this case is "no financial support for a GamerGate dev".

Not sure what your jab is aiming for. Currently it just tells me that you think people are afraid the game's ideology will red pill them so hard, they don't dare let it's ideological statements be made in the first place - but as the initial ideological statements have already been made, I don't know what else to expect intellectually from a Gamergater. It is a very shallow type of ideology, which is 100% incapable of coming up with anything new or challenging - leave alone an interesting sci-fi world.

"But what if feminism...!" Pff.

Hey what kind of game is it gameplay wise ?

would be a waste if it was some point and click.

2D Yakuzer maybe ???
The sheer irony is that sounds like its going to be a narrative exploration game, you know a "walking simulator" that the kind of people this game is pandering to doesn't acknowledge as being games.

Regginator

It looks brilliant from a visual perspective, but I must admit I'm not entirely digging the mixture of pixel design, and then at the same time some "realistic" directions (lighting, water, rain, etc.). Kinda feels odd.

jviggy43

Oh shit. Comments about the game. :D
Considering the story of the game itself, everything in here has been related to the game. I'm starting to think the people coming in, leaving one sentence with some type of smiley face are doing nothing but trolling

And the complaining about this thread on voat has started again, amazing really how transparent these people are.

You'd think if they hate this place so much they'd just move on with their lives instead of anonymously complaining off-site.

The problem is they can't not lurk on GAF because it's the best place for video game news and discussion on the web, but when they do, they're reminded of how much they hate the kind of people who post here. (Stellar fucking people, btw.)

mo60

what the hell happened here. Damn, didn't expect any of this. Shame, and I was looking forward to the game... well before I found that that the creator is on that bullshit anyway.

Microsoft is going to drop this game so hard.

Microosft may just stop promoting this game heavily unless something else that is damging pops up.

zenspider

Your initial quote / jab implied that people react towards the premise of the game the way that they do, because they are fragile, unsure of their opinion and stand points. So all you do is just actively trying to undermine the legitimacy of another's opinion, which in this case is "no financial support for a GamerGate dev".

Not sure what your jab is aiming for. Currently it just tells me that you think people are afraid the game's ideology will red pill them so hard, they don't dare let it's ideological statements be made in the first place - but as the initial ideological statements have already been made, I don't know what else to expect intellectually from a Gamergater. It is a very shallow type of ideology, which is 100% incapable of coming up with anything new or challenging - leave alone an interesting sci-fi world.

"But what if feminism...!" Pff.

I wasn't taking a jab at people's opinions, but at their conviction - but maybe I'm missing the point.

If it's just a case of this guy has openly supported gamergate at some point so I don't want to give him money, that's fine - I feel a litle grimey every time the Oculus Store opens up on my computer - I totally get that and think that's even admirable in a way, even though I don't draw the line there personally.

However, if the story of this game is this guy's idea of a some dystopian feminist end-game (and as I've said, I'm pretty sure that is no longer the case), I find that really interesting - even fascinating. I said that I seriously doubt that a compelling case would or could be made (we agree), but I made the comparison to my book library which has plenty of views and perspectives I don't agree with - some passionately so - and I don't see why we, who do want to have an intellegent discourse in this space, would treat our game libraries any different. Fiction in that space broadens the disscusion, and I don't see the value in ignoring it. I suppose not wanting to pay for it is a different thing altogether.

Also, that "will 'red pill' them..." turn of phrase was rad! I'm stealing that.

ToonLink

It's amazing to me that some people truly feel okay still being excited for the game knowing it's literally about hate.

Yeah... it's kind of fascinating how much people are willing to ignore, just so they can play a pretty looking game. It's not like there aren't plenty of other games that they can support with their money instead.

Ran rp

I wasn't taking a jab at people's opinions, but at their conviction - but maybe I'm missing the point.

If it's just a case of this guy has openly supported gamergate at some point so I don't want to give him money, that's fine - I feel a litle grimey every time the Oculus Store opens up on my computer - I totally get that and think that's even admirable in a way, even though I don't draw the line there personally.

However, if the story of this game is this guy's idea of a some dystopian feminist end-game (and as I've said, I'm pretty sure that is no longer the case), I find that really interesting - even fascinating. I said that I seriously doubt that a compelling case would or could be made (we agree), but I made the comparison to my book library which has plenty of views and perspectives I don't agree with - some passionately so - and I don't see why we, who do want to have an intellegent discourse in this space, would treat our game libraries any different. Fiction in that space broadens the disscusion, and I don't see the value in ignoring it. I suppose not wanting to pay for it is a different thing altogether.

Also, that "will 'red pill' them..." turn of phrase was rad! I'm stealing that.

What's fascinating about a GamerGater's vision of Feminism ruining the world?

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
We've reached the point of this discussion where people from offsite are just loading up their throwaway accounts to run out obnoxious talking points, so it's time to put it to bed. We can have a new thread if any significant new information emerges about either the game or its creators.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom