• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Boys – Season 3 Trailer

I really like this season. It's one of those few shows where I've been on-board with every twist they've thrown so far--which is pretty incredible!

Also:
the way out for Hughie and Butcher at this point is permanent Compound V....right? Butcher has done V the 5 times, and Hughie 4. Unless the show bends the "rules" of temporary V, Butcher is dead and Hughie can't take another dose without dying
Sure permanent V or just have a healing Supe episode/mission to fix them both or a Vought scientist kidnapping episode to have them create a new temp V fix/version etc

VN1X

Banned
Man episode 7 was a fuckin' slog. You could've just watched the last 10 mins and gotten everything you needed from that one. Sheesh!

Last edited:

Hezekiah

Banned
Man episode 7 was a fuckin' slog. You could've just watched the last 10 mins and gotten everything you need from that one.
I found Butcher's flashbacks to be overly long and filler. Just a bit dull to be honest.

Bit of a letdown after last week's episode.

Still don't think Deep, A-Train, and Maeve get enough screen time. I want to see more of what Victoria Neuman is planning too.

I found Butcher's flashbacks to be overly long and filler. Just a bit dull to be honest.

Agreed.
Still don't think Deep, A-Train, and Maeve get enough screen time. I want to see more of what Victoria Neuman is planning too.
Ehhh... I don't know. You mentioned the 3 characters I like the least. So I'm glad they're getting less screen time.

pramod

Banned
Im hoping for a Deep redemption battle where he fights Homelander underwater and ends up beating his ass with the help of a zillion octopi.

Last edited:

Hezekiah

Banned
Are they going to kill off Soldier Boy like they killed off the main "new" character the last few seasons? It kinda feels like it to me. His character "arc" or what barely there was of it doesn't seem to have anywhere to go from here.
I'm actually kinda bored of his character already, it's pretty one dimensional. (not evil but just another arrogant jerkoff)

Anyways the show is still good but I think Ep 7 was probably the weakest so far as writing goes. It's not Disney+ territory but a lot of the stuff just didn't make sense. Like how did Starlight even walk right into Vought to steal the V...after what she did and said.
And they just "undid" stuff that happened before.

Also I didn't mind all the Trump/Homelander satire at first, but now it's getting so blatant and with zero subtlety, especially the whole parody of the MAGA stuff, it's not even good satire anymore.

These writers are so far left I bet they are Mao apologist.
Yeah it's a shame. Generally I'd prefer politics to be left out of the vast majority of shows, but in a show like this it makes perfect sense to include satire.

However season two was a clear turning point (even after the Christian concert of season one), and other than a couple of brief nods to woke agendas and capitalism, they barely take piss out of the left at all.

Then again Seth Rogan is an executive producer, and I only recently found out that Eric Kripke likes to bang on about toxic masculinity, so there goes any chance of an even-handed approach.

Hezekiah

Banned
Agreed.

Ehhh... I don't know. You mentioned the 3 characters I like the least. So I'm glad they're getting less screen time.
Deep's obviously there for comedy purposes, but I think the other two are underwritten.

I was expecting more from Neuman
(fair enough she toppled Edgar, but not been in it much since) after she exploded heads at the congressional hearing, and then took out that weird church leader at the end of the last season.

Last edited:

nkarafo

I still don't understand some of the "physics" or power/toughness tiers between the supes.

Like how Homelander doesn't seem to be even remotely worried of Newman's exploding heads trick. She can clearly pop supe heads with the same ease as regular heads. Is Homie's flesh so much more tougher than the others so he doesn't even care? Even if it is, how does he know?

Also, that temporal V thing... Apparently, it takes you straight to A-tier of power levels? I thought Homelander is the most powerful entity, with a power gap big enough for all the other supes to fear him. But a shot of that thing and you can trade punches with him like an equal? So Temp-V Butcher (or any other who gets a shot) is more powerful than all the other supes then? Including Kimiko who doesn't seem that powerful even with the permanent-V? Is the power level random based on the individual and Butcher got lucky?

Durien

I thought Homelander is the most powerful entity, with a power gap big enough for all the other supes to fear him. But a shot of that thing and you can trade punches with him like an equal? So Temp-V Butcher (or any other who gets a shot) is more powerful than all the other supes then?

I think the super are afraid of Homelander because they have quite a bit to lose and there isn't really a united front. Remember, it took Butcher. Huey, and Soldier Boy to take on Homelander and he still managed to get away. If I were to say if any of the supes had a shot at taking on Homelander by himself, and a REAL LONGSHOT, I would say A-Train. Force = mass*acceleration so if A train was able to surprise him at full speed with a diamond blade of some sort, he might be able to take off Homelanders head. If anything, as funny as it sounds I think Huey has the best chance to take out Homelander or Soldier Boy by teleporting something into them. Like what would happen if Huey teleported a bomb or even a knife inside one of them? Is it possible he could teleport soldier boys shield into one of them? He couldn't lift it, but could he move it. Better yet what if he telwported zsoldier Boy inside of Homelander or vice versa..

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
I still don't understand some of the "physics" or power/toughness tiers between the supes.

Like how Homelander doesn't seem to be even remotely worried of Newman's exploding heads trick. She can clearly pop supe heads with the same ease as regular heads. Is Homie's flesh so much more tougher than the others so he doesn't even care? Even if it is, how does he know?

Also, that temporal V thing... Apparently, it takes you straight to A-tier of power levels? I thought Homelander is the most powerful entity, with a power gap big enough for all the other supes to fear him. But a shot of that thing and you can trade punches with him like an equal? So Temp-V Butcher (or any other who gets a shot) is more powerful than all the other supes then? Including Kimiko who doesn't seem that powerful even with the permanent-V? Is the power level random based on the individual and Butcher got lucky?
A fundamental disregard for internal consistency and a lack of fucks to give about real world physics are the two most prized qualities in a comic superhero writer!

If you want "superheroes" that obey rigid laws of nature and maintain consistent power levels, you need to read Brandon Sanderson.

nkarafo

A fundamental disregard for internal consistency and a lack of fucks to give about real world physics are the two most prized qualities in a comic superhero writer!

If you want "superheroes" that obey rigid laws of nature and maintain consistent power levels, you need to read Brandon Sanderson.
The Boys is supposedly a more "grounded" universe.

I also don't expect the series to obey the laws of nature, just it's own rules.

I feel like it was a backstory episode, which is fine by me, this show has been hit after hit this season. You have to throw stories in there somewhere.

AJUMP23

I think they exchanged dialog where he threatened her that if she even thought about it he would end her. He could laser her faster than she could pop his head.

nkarafo

I think they exchanged dialog where he threatened her that if she even thought about it he would end her. He could laser her faster than she could pop his head.

Sure, if Newman was face to face with him, he would probably be faster. Maybe.

But Newman could just hide in a crowd or something and pop his head without him ever knowing she was ever there.

She has such a powerful attack that she can use in the most sneaky way possible. If i was Homelander i would consider her the most dangerous opponent.

MudoSkills

Volcano High Alumnus (Cum Laude)
Definitely took some of the pace out with the last episode but I really enjoyed Noir's backstory.

I've never read the comics but know what his character is in those, as some fuckhead YouTube channel just spoiled it in a vid I was watching in the run up to season two.

HoodWinked

that finale is really strange because they basically ended season 3 back to where they were at the end of season 2. you can pretty much skip season 3 and it would barely break any continuity.

Season 2, ends with Black Noir, Stormfront presumed dead. And they are dead by the end of season 3.

Every character introduced in season 3 is now dead or gone. And every major thing that happens in season 3 is self contained within the season, Kimiko loses powers get them back. Soldier boy revealed, and back to being captured. Payback revealed, everyone in Payback now dead. Huey gets powers and now hit the limit of getting powers again. Frenchy and Russian lady revealed and now gone. The boys have a breaking up but make up by the end of the season. Almost nothing was permanent.

As for Homelander its funny seeing the writers being as unsubtle as possible to make him Trump now with Ryan being Baron Trump and the antifa attacking him.

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
that finale is really strange because they basically ended season 3 back to where they were at the end of season 2. you can pretty much skip season 3 and it would barely break any continuity.

Season 2, ends with Black Noir, Stormfront presumed dead. And they are dead by the end of season 3.

Every character introduced in season 3 is now dead or gone. And every major thing that happens in season 3 is self contained within the season, Kimiko loses powers get them back. Soldier boy revealed, and back to being captured. Payback revealed, everyone in Payback now dead. Huey gets powers and now hit the limit of getting powers again. Frenchy and Russian lady revealed and now gone. The boys have a breaking up but make up by the end of the season. Almost nothing was permanent.

As for Homelander its funny seeing the writers being as unsubtle as possible to make him Trump now with Ryan being Baron Trump and the antifa attacking him.

Disagree completely.
This show is basically about the rise of Homelander and Butcher trying to stop him. After this season
Butcher is dying and Homelander has come to realize he can do whatever he wants and get away with it. He also has Ryan on his side now.
The situation was completely different at the end of season 2 when
Homelander had been nerfed and the Butcher had Ryan

Last edited:

pramod

Banned
Damn, it's really hard to hate this show, even with all its flaws.

Had a lot of problems with the episode, but in the end bad-ass Maeve saved it for me.

And they pretty much stopped any subtlety with the Homelander/Trump comparisons now. Maybe soon we'll see Homelander eating cheeseburgers and having a cup of covfefe.

BaneIsPain

Shame the finale is a bit meh. At least, there is something to look forward to next season, especially on BN.
It would be nice if they could give a similar sendoff for her in the comic.

At least Deep and A-Train arcs will be similar to the comic where they quit the Seven at the end eventually.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
That final scene, where the guy yelled 'what the fuck libtard' had me laughing. Perfect scene to end the season imo.
Literally showed how people are in the world right now, for better or worse

Oh, and this seasons really screamed that we don't have heroes. Can we have this kind of thinking with politics? Probably not

nkarafo

So Maeve was that powerful the whole time? Strong enough to trade punches against Homelander? On her own?

Then why the f she was afraid of him for 3 whole seasons?

Again, i like the show, but it seems like each supe gets stronger or weaker when the plot demands it. In the first 2 seasons Homlanded looked like some sort of a god, powerful enough to destroy 6 of the 7 on his own, someone who can't be beat without some magic, convoluted plan or something. Now he looks like another superhero who can be beat like everyone else. Just get 2 or 3 supes to beat the shit out of him. He doesn't seem to be the main threat anymore. Or even a threat at all.

Dunno, i liked the show when he was the threat. Now it seems like everyone was wasting their time with him and they are focusing on a different threat.

SkylineRKR

I think this was the weakest season yet, though still extremely fun. Basically,

Homelander is still at large, and there is no more leverage on him as he doesn't give a shit. Ultimately the good guys, as far good guys go here, defeated the weapon they wanted to deploy against him. They can't really use V anymore, unless S4 develops a cure and a safe upgraded version of the substance.

Black Noir's send off was quite sudden.

Maeve will be missed, I loved her this season.

Soldier Boy was awesome as fuck.

Disagree completely.
This show is basically about the rise of Homelander and Butcher trying to stop him. After this season
Butcher is dying and Homelander has come to realize he can do whatever he wants and get away with it. He also has Ryan on his side now.
The situation was completely different at the end of season 2 when
Homelander had been nerfed and the Butcher had Ryan

I was wondering when we would start to see Eric Kripke's Supernatural TV show writing style creep into this show. Looks like it sort of started with these final two episodes. I enjoyed Supernatural for what it was and what it tried to do with the shoestring budget it was given. However, sometimes in that show you'd have seasons that were essentially bottle seasons where things sort of reset themselves back into place and/or felt like a lot happened but ultimately not much happened. For The Boys, this felt like one of those seasons.

For any supernatural fans, the best season I can compare it to is when we were introduced to that MI6-esque vampire hunting group at the beginning of a season and then within an entire season the organization was entirely disbanded, either through everyone being killed or fleeing. Sam and Dean ended up in nearly the same place they started, and we ended up with maybe 1 new character after all of it.

This was the season where the show should have been building up new likeable/charismatic characters so that they could kill off a few main characters, but instead nearly every new character this season was killed or fridged. The Boys are in that Sam and Dean spot of being pretty much untouchable even though Frenchie has been giving off giant death flags every time he pops up on screen(because his character arc has been done twice already and he's essentially as background as Will from Stranger Things at this point).

I'll temper my expectations for future seasons because of this, but I'll still watch happily because aside from those small issues, this show is incredible in many other ways. I'm hoping Soldier Boy finds a way to come back next season as I like that he introduces this third side of not quite boys, not quite vought/homelander, just a man on a revenge mission type of story. He could easily just get his revenge and then go live on a farm somewhere drinking beer and watching old TV, because it truly seems like he isn't trying to be as ambitious as homelander and he doesn't care about any of the vought bullshit to take a stance either way.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
So Maeve was that powerful the whole time? Strong enough to trade punches against Homelander? On her own?

Again, i like the show, but it seems like each supe gets stronger or weaker when the plot demands it. In the first 2 seasons Homlanded looked like some sort of a god, powerful enough to destroy 6 of the 7 on his own, someone who can't be beat without some magic, convoluted plan or something. Now he looks like another superhero who can be beat like everyone else. Just get 2 or 3 supes to beat the shit out of him. He doesn't seem to be the main threat anymore. Or even a threat at all.

Dunno, i liked the show when he was the threat. Now it seems like everyone was wasting their time with him and they are focusing on a different threat.

This. Homelander has claims he can wipe out whole cities. Every supe is scared to death of his power, because apparently nothing can destroy him, yet in this season we've had Butcher and Maeve trade hits with him. Even fucking Hughie got a hit on Homelander in ep6 and knocked him back.

Lame.

xrnzaaas

Finale was okayish but worse than several previous episodes. Noir's story deserved a better conclusion especially with how much screen time it had in the last ep. Anyway you guys ready for another annoying kid in a tv show? ;)

pramod

Banned
This. Homelander has claims he can wipe out whole cities. Every supe is scared to death of his power, because apparently nothing can destroy him, yet in this season we've had Butcher and Maeve trade hits with him. Even fucking Hughie got a hit on Homelander in ep6 and knocked him back.

Lame.
Yeah the nerfing of Homelander was the most inexplicable thing for me this season. I don't know if it was deliberate, in an attempt to "humanize" him more? Or was it just bad writing, or a lack of budget? He doesn't seem like a god anymore. Are they actually planning to "redeem" him somehow in the end?

UnNamed

Banned
What I liked the most about this season

-The ties with current events, like Southpark but in live action. All the reference to antifa, BLM, Trump supporters, fake simpathy from companies, wokes, etc. Everything match perfectly inside the show. Just wonderful;
-Soldier Boy, It could have been much worse, not good as Stormfront in Season 2 but nice enough;
-Homelander's evolution and Antony Starr who plays him;
-Ashley. And The Deep's fiancée;
-Mother's Milk's arc story in general [but NOT the fact he has never mentioned of Soldier Boy before];

-What I didn't like

-villains: most of them were portraited as interesting and intriguing in the previous seasons, now they have turned out to be a joke: Edgar, Neuman, Stormfront, Noir, the Vaught itself. It was very anticlimactic;
-Powers on and off because of the plot;
-The Deep: he was better in the previous seasons where he had his own side-story. His role was taken by ATrain, but it wasn't that good;

Last edited:

Majukun

Much like at the end of season one, i'm not sure about the motivations of the characters going into the following season.

yes, poppin head woman is gonna be VP..is that really that big of a deal? Before she was tied to vought, but now her ties are severed and she is just a power hungry woman

now homelander has the kid on hi side, but technically butcher, the ones that cares about it, is dying in months (unless season 4 changes that)

even the homelander part seem directionless.
The guy wants love and recognition and is getting it...if he wants to become a dictator nobody can really stop him so the series is not going that direction...what else is left for this plotline?

maeve passed every single moment in prison training herself if i remember correctly (although now i'm fearing it's headcanon..i didn't imagine the scene right?), while homelander has been busy with politics most of the season....that's probably what gave her the edge, that and her being dead serious on killing him while he was worried about something else during their battle.

also, homelander's biggest asset has always been his resiliance..guy was tackled by butcher, hughie and soldier boy but had bately any injury afterward...against maeve he took a small pipe to the brain ans shrugged it off

Last edited:
One more additional gripe, Starlight's powered up move should have had more oomph behind it from the effects team. I wanted to see everyone, including maeve and homelander, get knocked back or fly across the room from it to show her potential power.

main-qimg-fe9ef3e826b6d05d685324b041304add

Hezekiah

Banned
Just saw the finale, pretty exhilirating. I hope the budget gets upped next season and we get a couple more fast-paced, epic fight scenes.

There seemed to be some notable inconsistencies though, and stuff I didn't like too much.

Frenchie's Novichok plan was a nonsense, though there was more than a nod to that at least by the rest of the group.

How the hell did Deep break into the grounds of the VP candidate's home without being seen? Like regardless of doing the kill underwater, he still has to get there, and then get out undetected. Surely the man had cameras?!

Maeve seemed to be able to hang with Homelander in their fight surprisingly well. I mean at first Homelander was holding back, but then after she was really getting her licks in - even with one eye!

The ending was ridiculous. Regular dude gets half his head lasered off in public in broad daylight for calling him a 'Libtard', and Mothers Milk's daughters replacement daddy starts bigging him up for it, and everyone just joins in. Once again it feels like the writers couldn't help but push their Leftist agenda that the right are hardcore fundamentalists with limitless stupidity.

If what I've seen about Black Noire on YouTube is correct, they're going for a different ending with the show compared to the comics. I would like to have seen more of him in action though.

I also hope Soldier Boy makes a return at some point. I thought Jensen Ackles did a great job playing him. Would have liked to see more of him adapting to 21st Century life. Actually I would have loved to have seen Soldier Boy and Back Noire go head-to-head and throw hands too.

Last edited:

sol_bad

I have loved the entirety of season 3 but can't help but feel let down by the finale. It really felt all over the place and it really felt constrained by budget, even the sound effects were God awful.

I really need to buy the oversized Omnibu of this comic.

In the first 2 seasons Homlanded looked like some sort of a god, powerful enough to destroy 6 of the 7 on his own, someone who can't be beat without some magic, convoluted plan or something. Now he looks like another superhero who can be beat like everyone else. Just get 2 or 3 supes to beat the shit out of him. He doesn't seem to be the main threat anymore. Or even a threat at all.

Lame.
Yeah the nerfing of Homelander was the most inexplicable thing for me this season. I don't know if it was deliberate, in an attempt to "humanize" him more? Or was it just bad writing, or a lack of budget? He doesn't seem like a god anymore. Are they actually planning to "redeem" him somehow in the end?
I thought it was because Homelander took a few dingers from Soldier Boy's supe-de-powering beam, but if not, then, yeah, what the heck's up with the unexplained nerfing?

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
Homelander will probably go back to being a god in S4 if thats what the story calls for (I'm guessing he'll take on Neumann's presidency). There's a lot inconsistency in supers power levels for the sake of the plot (see: Homelander eviscerating Noire like he was just a normie in S3 but then struggling against Maeve, despite Maeve struggling to fight Noire in S2).

Last edited:

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion

Lame.
Even Superman has fights against villains. If the writers allowed Superman to go full power 100% of the time then that would be one very boring comic book.

The same thing applies to homelander. If he really did just murder all of the seven and start laying waste to cities in a literally unstoppable rampage then it would be a very boring show.

Did we ever actually get a confirmed power level for Maeve? Everyone seems so surprised that she was able to hold strong against Homelander(who wasn't even fighting her that seriously for the most part), yet in the previous season, while untrained, she was able to tank hits from Stormfront and was the reason they managed to beat down Stormfront, who was arguably on Homelander's level(since Stormfront was able to easily tank HL's eyebeams and scared off the super strong S level supe who escaped from the clinic).

Even if you rank Homelander at S+, nothing aside from Maeve's own laziness truly indicated that she was anything below S rank. The more ridiculous scene that should be pointed out is that Black Noir was able to capture Maeve, because he is clearly not on the level of the 3 people above.

Last edited:
Did we ever actually get a confirmed power level for Maeve? Everyone seems so surprised that she was able to hold strong against Homelander(who wasn't even fighting her that seriously for the most part), yet in the previous season, while untrained, she was able to tank hits from Stormfront and was the reason they managed to beat down Stormfront, who was arguably on Homelander's level(since Stormfront was able to easily tank HL's eyebeams and scared off the super strong S level supe who escaped from the clinic).

Even if you rank Homelander at S+, nothing aside from Maeve's own laziness truly indicated that she was anything below S rank. The more ridiculous scene that should be pointed out is that Black Noir was able to capture Maeve, because he is clearly not on the level of the 3 people above.
Power levels seem pretty analogous to Justice League (the movie). Wonder Woman seemed to be the only one who could seriously go on a 1v1 fistfight against Superman. Same situation here.

In other news...

- Yooooo, that dress fit Ashley really nicely :messenger_tears_of_joy:

- (Soulcalibur reference incoming) That Deep/Homelander portrait towards the end reminded me of Voldo's ending in Soulcalibur 1:
lxD7lJr.jpg

- All of that hype for Starlight's power and all it does is just push Soldier Boy a little bit. I was hoping all that hype would lead to... something more.

- As a huge fan of classic/70s Elton John, "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road" was almost a perfect song for that end sequence.

- I thought Maeve and Soldier Boy were dead. I don't like how some of these heroes are like permanently invincible, it lowers the stakes.

- Like someone already said in the thread, I would have loved to see Noir more in action.

- I think Soldier Boy was a good season-long antagonist, and the actor who played him did a fantastic job (who is that guy, anyway? Never seen him on anything else)... but was ultimately done kind of wrong by the writers. As far as "single-season villains" go, Stormfront was done infinitely better.

- I just want the conflict to stay focused between The Boys vs. The Seven (really just Homelander now). I think the peripheral characters and entities (Vought/Stan Edgar, Neuman, Grace Mallory, etc) were initially built up but then they all went nowhere. Yeah they said Neuman wants to run for VP but I'm kind of getting tired of her, honestly. Even though the actress is hot AF, the character is kind of annoying.

Mossybrew

Finale was.... a bit of a letdown because it seemed to just reset a slightly different status quo, but it definitely had its moments, and I know shit can't get totally resolved because S4 is coming so... I give it a B+.

- I think Soldier Boy was a good season-long antagonist, and the actor who played him did a fantastic job (who is that guy, anyway? Never seen him on anything else)... but was ultimately done kind of wrong by the writers. As far as "single-season villains" go, Stormfront was done infinitely better.
Soldier Boy wasn't a good villain because he wasn't even a villain. He was just an ex-vought 'war hero' who simply wanted revenge against the people who betrayed him and left him for dead. His story could have been an entirely different show like Diabolical, if it wasn't for the fact that the writers made him directly involved with Homelander.

The only thing that can kind of be argued is that his depowering explosion's collateral damage somewhat made him a villain. Otherwise he was essentially like Beatrix from Kill Bill.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
What started promising ended up being the same format used three times each season. Pretty fucking boring. Think this might be where I drop off.

Rickyiez

Jensen Ackles, he's another main lead in Supernatural you didn't know?

YCoCg

Season 3 has been brilliant but the last episode got into Dragon Ball territory when it came to power levels. Black Noir was done dirty after all that build up.

sol_bad

I don't consider the ending of season 3 resetting things to how they were at the end of season 2 at all. There are lots of various things that have been changed up.
I'm more disappointed in the actual battle that happened, there was so little of it and it wasn't choreographed that well. Homelander/Maeve did not feel like Superman level threats in any way, shape or form. Add to the fact that they didn't show Maeve's escape inside the truck and it really does feel low budgeted.

BeardGawd

Banned
What a shitty ending for Noir.

And now we have evil superman jr to deal with next season.

This season was good but I feel Stormfront was a much better villain.

Will be interesting to see where this goes.

Tieno

I really like how they've written Black Noir and his conversation with Homelander. He has so much trauma that he's unable to speak. I hope they somehow can patch him up next season, he has survived a lot, I mean "revenge does wonders for the will to live" and this was just a flesh wound in the gut area.

Last edited:
Top Bottom