• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Boys – Season 3 Trailer

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Even Superman has fights against villains. If the writers allowed Superman to go full power 100% of the time then that would be one very boring comic book.

The same thing applies to homelander. If he really did just murder all of the seven and start laying waste to cities in a literally unstoppable rampage then it would be a very boring show.

Disagree. Make him a god to be feared. I want him to take over the world as a crazed, autocratic dictator. That would make it interesting.

Downgrading him so other supes can go toe to toe with him is boring and doesn't make sense when you consider how powerful he's supposed to be.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
Disagree. Make him a god to be feared. I want him to take over the world as a crazed, autocratic dictator. That would make it interesting.

Downgrading him so other supes can go toe to toe with him is boring and doesn't make sense when you consider how powerful he's supposed to be.
Well luckily you aren't in charge of the show because him being an all powerful god that takes over the world would be boring as hell for a show.

Methos#1975

I think the super are afraid of Homelander because they have quite a bit to lose and there isn't really a united front. Remember, it took Butcher. Huey, and Soldier Boy to take on Homelander and he still managed to get away. If I were to say if any of the supes had a shot at taking on Homelander by himself, and a REAL LONGSHOT, I would say A-Train. Force = mass*acceleration so if A train was able to surprise him at full speed with a diamond blade of some sort, he might be able to take off Homelanders head. If anything, as funny as it sounds I think Huey has the best chance to take out Homelander or Soldier Boy by teleporting something into them. Like what would happen if Huey teleported a bomb or even a knife inside one of them? Is it possible he could teleport soldier boys shield into one of them? He couldn't lift it, but could he move it. Better yet what if he telwported zsoldier Boy inside of Homelander or vice versa..
I think a lot of it was also implied danger, they were told Homelander was basically unhurtable and many like Maeve believed the story because she had little reason to doubt it. She only becomes aware that he isn't all powerful last episode and that fact destroyed the illusion that Voight had created hence why we saw her finally confront him and stand toe to toe with him. For her the illusion is now gone.

bitbydeath

I had hopes that this season was going to be better than the recent Umbrella Academy season, but the finale really let it down.

-Black Noir shouldn’t be killed that easily, he’s had way worse injuries before.

-Maeve should be dead, if the blast hadn’t killed her then the fall definitely should have since the blast would have removed her powers. The blast also should have killed her.

-Butcher turning on Soldier Boy seemed dumb, he didn’t target the kid or kill him, he just got in the way. That kid reminds me of the one from The Strain, who got really annoying.

Majukun

I had hopes that this season was going to be better than the recent Umbrella Academy season, but the finale really let it down.

-Black Noir shouldn’t be killed that easily, he’s had way worse injuries before.

-Maeve should be dead, if the blast hadn’t killed her then the fall definitely should have since the blast would have removed her powers. The blast also should have killed her.

-Butcher turning on Soldier Boy seemed dumb, he didn’t target the kid or kill him, he just got in the way. That kid reminds me of the one from The Strain, who got really annoying.
agree for maive, but they wanted her to get an happy ending.

don't remember which worse injuries BN got, but that looked pretty fatal

soldier boy was not targeting the kid but would have ended up killing him anyway, so not sure what the difference is here

Hezekiah

Banned
Soldier Boy wasn't a good villain because he wasn't even a villain. He was just an ex-vought 'war hero' who simply wanted revenge against the people who betrayed him and left him for dead. His story could have been an entirely different show like Diabolical, if it wasn't for the fact that the writers made him directly involved with Homelander.

The only thing that can kind of be argued is that his depowering explosion's collateral damage somewhat made him a villain. Otherwise he was essentially like Beatrix from Kill Bill.
I agree Soldier Boy wasnt really a villain as such.

He was an incredibly powerful government weapon who was done dirty by his country and his team. Definitely messed up by the way his daddy raised him, and by decades of torture, but not evil in the way Stormfront was.

Hezekiah

Banned
I think a lot of it was also implied danger, they were told Homelander was basically unhurtable and many like Maeve believed the story because she had little reason to doubt it. She only becomes aware that he isn't all powerful last episode and that fact destroyed the illusion that Voight had created hence why we saw her finally confront him and stand toe to toe with him. For her the illusion is now gone.
Nah I disagree with that.

It was simply the case of power levels being adjusted on the fly to serve the plot. I think the teamwork aspect could have played up a bit more. The Homelander and Maeve fight stuck out like a sore thumb as she seemed to be getting the better of it for the most part even when he got serious, which is a nonsense.

He was an incredibly powerful government weapon who was done dirty by his country and his team. Definitely messed up by the way his daddy raised him, and by decades of torture, but not evil in the way Stormfront was.
Yea, like I said earlier I honestly feel if he had completed his entire mission he set out to do, he would have simply left and went to vegas or on a vacation somewhere, or maybe on a farm somewhere, and he would be kicking back and relaxing with beer. He didn't care about power, he didn't care about his namesake as much, and he didn't care about glory anymore. Those are all things Homelander cared more about.

IDKFA

Well luckily you aren't in charge of the show because him being an all powerful god that takes over the world would be boring as hell for a show.

It would make him a more interesting antagonist. At the moment, he really doesn't seem all that threatening.

Wasn't he racist? MM called him a racist for killing MM's family. Being a racist makes him just as much as a villain as Stormfront.

Hezekiah

Banned
It would make him a more interesting antagonist. At the moment, he really doesn't seem all that threatening.

Wasn't he racist? MM called him a racist for killing MM's family. Being a racist makes him just as much as a villain as Stormfront.
Thing is while he had views which were very much 80s centric, I don't recall anything he said as being explicitly racist. MM's grandad was basically collateral damage.

Hell he was even a huge fan of Bill Cosby...

The line from MM seemed like another dig from the writers toward Conservative 'Murica. I noticed it straight away and honestly felt it was unnecessary.

Overall Solder Boy just isn't near the same level as Stormfront (or Homelander) in the evil stakes.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Thing is while he had views which were very much 80s centric, I don't recall anything he said as being explicitly racist. MM's grandad was basically collateral damage.

The line from MM seemed like another dig from the writers toward Conservative 'Murica. I noticed it straight away and honestly felt it was unnecessary.

Overall Solder Boy just isn't near the same level as Stormfront (or Homelander) in the evil stakes.

Agreed. I came here to say basically the same thing. SB isn't evil. A big jerk and trying to overcompensate because of his daddy issues but a racist he isn't.

I think several times in the show he talked about specific black people in high regard ... Like Bill Cosby.

I think MM said that because he believed it to be true... With white characters like Stormfront and Blue Hawk, I think that's why he drew that conclusion.

I still think Stan Edgar is a supe.

If that is true, they didn't do a good enough job of conveying this in the show(even in prior seasons), especially with current day/post time skip Soldier Boy. They portrayed 70s/80s him only as an asshole and a wannabe war hero.

We can go down the list and be sure:

-He was essentially on a The Boys' version of Soul Train.
-He didn't think Black Noir was as funny as Eddie Murphy.
-He called Bill Cosby 'America's Dad'.
-He worked under Stan Edgar.
-He still considered the middle east full of wonderful people and allies.
-He didn't care either way about MM and didn't even know about the fact that he killed his family. To him it was just superhero business as usual and another number on a large list of kills.

If someone wants to consider him a closet racist okay maybe I guess, but the evidence didn't point towards it. Instead Soldier Boy is the type of guy who would call asian people 'oriental' and not care about it being insensitive to them because he's technically an old man stuck in his ways. Compare the way he spoke and acted to Blue Hawk, Stormfront, and Homelander(who's actions and opinions came dangerously close to Stormfront's this season) and he isn't even near their radar. I'd consider current age Soldier Boy a gray area character(neither hero, nor villain) who had a kill list/revenge list. He's around the range of Punisher/Deadpool/Red Hood for me.

IDKFA

You're right! How could I forget about this gem of a scene!

nkarafo

Not once in all 3 seasons Homelander "proved" his might. All he did so far is kill regular people and some D-listers. Everything else was just talk and hype from the characters in the show.

Him being the main threat for everyone was the most interesting thing about the show. But now it seems like that's gone. Cant say i'm hyped for the next season. The only thing that might redeem the show for me is Homelander having enough of everyone's shit and just wreck havoc on everyone and everything, without holding back so he can become an even bigger threat than before.

I agree with the previous poster, it would be interesting if Homelander was some kind of dictator for a while and the boys would try and take him down with the help of the army and all the other supes. I'm waiting for something like that since episode 1.

Hezekiah

Banned
Agreed. I came here to say basically the same thing. SB isn't evil. A big jerk and trying to overcompensate because of his daddy issues but a racist he isn't.

I think several times in the show he talked about specific black people in high regard ... Like Bill Cosby.

I think MM said that because he believed it to be true... With white characters like Stormfront and Blue Hawk, I think that's why he drew that conclusion.

I still think Stan Edgar is a supe.
Yeah they played the mental health card with Butcher giving Soldier Boy tons of weed to keep him relatively sedate. But while he was a little unhinged, his fury was aimed at his former team for screwing him over. That bitterness had built and built over decades to the point where he probably thinks some collateral damage is acceptable (Herogasm).

bitbydeath

agree for maive, but they wanted her to get an happy ending.

don't remember which worse injuries BN got, but that looked pretty fatal

soldier boy was not targeting the kid but would have ended up killing him anyway, so not sure what the difference is here
I don’t know how BN couldn’t survive that, his powers pretty much put him on the level of deadpool, able to survive bullets, stabbings and explosions in prior seasons. It would have been more convincing if Homelander exploded his head, or completely decimated his body to prevent him from walking it off.

As for the kid, they should have just had someone take him out of the building instead of turning on their ally, it just seemed stupid.

Hezekiah

Banned
I thought that entire season was fantastic viewing.

Much better than Season 2.

Sad it’s over, as I just want to consume more and more of it.
I agree it was definitely better than season two which was a notable downward step. However...
I thought the last episode was a shower of shit. A lot of the writing did not make sense at all. Very underwhelming. Also a shame that we won’t see Soldier Boy next season. He was the highlight of this one.
This sums up my thoughts on the series to an extent.

I really enjoyed parts of it, but certain scenes felt contrived because the writers were working toward an endpoint (or delivering a message), rather focusing on consistent (and engaging) characters.

Methos#1975

Not only that but when speaking to Hugie he shows remorse for killing innocent people and admits it wasn't meant to happen, he just seems a flawed individual and no where near as bad as say A-Train who only grew a conscious after his hypocrisy was pointed out. If anything Soldier Boy is well, a soldier, he did his duty and he isn't proud of everything he did but accepts it. They want you to hate him on the show, but they failed IMO to really give you reason to do so.

bitbydeath

I really enjoyed parts of it, but certain scenes felt contrived because the writers were working toward an endpoint (or delivering a message), rather focusing on consistent (and engaging) characters.
That ending with Homelander killing the guy in the audience was stupid, everyone knows “words are violence” is the lunatic left mmo and not associated with the far-king crazy right.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Final episode wasn't bad, but it wasn't especially satisfying either.

The problem as always is that there are simply too many characters for the amount of time available. For example Ackles was mostly wasted as Soldier Boy, when he was given stuff to do he was great, but there simply wasn't much there.

That ending with Homelander killing the guy in the audience was stupid, everyone knows “words are violence” is the lunatic left mmo and not associated with the far-king crazy right.
Are you referring to the lazering of the guy who threw his drink at Ryan? I thought him throwing it was actual violence, albeit mild

Last edited:
I'm glad they finally gave Noir a back story only for THAT to happen the very next episode...
Black Noir was still moving when we last saw him, and he has crazy renegerative powers. I hope it's not the last we've seen of him. And I actually mean him, not another person put into the Black Noir suit.

Agreed. I absolutely hated that whole "rally" scene towards the end.

The more I think about Season 3, the more I realize that while it had some fun and cool moments, overall it was a letdown. Soldier Boy and Black Noir in particular had so much potential, but were wasted.

That's partially because starting with Season 2, the writers seem to have shifted their focus on sociopolitical commentary, at the expense of good character and plot development. Which is why Season 1 remains by far the best.

And why I'm actually not all that optimistic about Season 4. Hope they prove me wrong.

Batiman

Banned
That was a great season. The finale was slightly underwhelming. The show randomly pulls some stupid moments with the writing though. Starlight tells hugie that the V is gonna kill butcher and him and he shows zero reaction that butcher already took too much and is probably gonna die. Found that scene weird

YCoCg

Looking back I'm happy with the season EXCEPT for the last episode, they've got a lot to write around for Season 4 but I hope it doesn't go all in on the Homelander = Trump as the main focus when they could've used soo much stuff they've just wasted in the last ep. Also fuck that kid, Solider Boy did nothing wrong, Billy turning on Soldier Boy was just a plot device.

Fbh

The season overall was better than S2 but the finale was rather underwhelming. Using Ryan as a last minute plot device to get Butcher to turn against Soldier Boy felt cheap, and this whole "oh boy things are about to blow up" buildup the show does only to deflate and de-escalate every time is starting to get tiresome. After all the events in the season it feels like the overall status quo didn't change at all.

Finally the whole Homelander = Trump approach feels like the laziest way to take his plotline. They could at least have made it a bit more subtle but at this point they might as well give him am orange tan next season.

For the people that are not supes from the get go, how are their powers determined when they take Temp-V? The only thing that the characters say (mostly in the conversation between Hughie and Starlight, I think) is that Temp-V just makes people "more of who they already are." That's just vague emotional diarrhea, so how does that translate to actual powers?

It's too much of a coincidence that Butcher's Temp-V powers mirror almost exactly those of Homelander.

Maybe that all got explained and I somehow missed it...

Last edited:

FingerBang

I really liked this season, it was really a return to form.

I didn't mind the political commentary, it's a good way to adapt the comic to today's era and also doesn't talk down to the audience or tries to push "the message" as much as it simply shows all the bullshit that corporations and media push for their own interest. Women can lose, race and LGBT issues are only brought up when convenient to media and companies.

The only issue with the season is that it's mostly a big running in circle, coming back again to the status quo.

Yes, some supes are dead, yes, some characters have matured and their relationships have changed, but overall it feels like we're back to where we started. Homelander is still alive and kicking and so are the boys.

But hey, it's a very entertaining show and it's not woke. Hard to ask for more in 2020.

For the people that are not supes from the get go, how are their powers determined when they take Temp-V?
1200px-ItemBoxMK8.png

APN.gif

Butcher just landed on the blue shell.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I think how this season ended put the writers into a very tricky situation for season 4, and I think how this season ended could negatively impact season 4.

The Homelander threat is still there. And I get why it is, he drives the show, so if he were to be killed or lose his powers, the show would suffer dramatically. But at the same time, now what are they going to do with season 4? Have another season of "Homelander is out of control, we must stop him now!"? And if not and the plot decides to focus on something else, then it's like "So, everyone just stopped worrying about Homelander and that angle is just gone now? They have to find a way to introduce something new, but also important enough to distract them from the Homelander angle for a short time, so they can focus season 5 back on Homelander and make the final season Homelander vs everyone. And I can't think of any threat that could possibly be more interesting or pressing than Homelander, so they have their work cut out for them.

Kssio_Aug

I have a different assumption. I think the only reason Maeve...
was able to put up a fight against him, was because 1) he liked her; and 2) he was underestimating her. Just because he's powerful as fuck, doesn't mean other supes aren't strong as fuck too. This and also the fact that he was a bit too emotional with his son and father situation.

There's even that dialogue in another episode (I think it was the Herogasm episode) when he talks to the mirror about his biggest weakness being his humanity. He is still conflicted about that, clearly.

I think the most frustrating thing about this last episode was...
when Hughie turn on the lights so Annie could get stronger, her demonstration of power was really, really underwhelming.

But this season was fantastic imo. Could probably have developed the plot a bit more forward, but I think it did great developing characters and raising the tension.

Last edited:

VN1X

Banned
I think how this season ended put the writers into a very tricky situation for season 4, and I think how this season ended could negatively impact season 4.

The Homelander threat is still there. And I get why it is, he drives the show, so if he were to be killed or lose his powers, the show would suffer dramatically. But at the same time, now what are they going to do with season 4? Have another season of "Homelander is out of control, we must stop him now!"? And if not and the plot decides to focus on something else, then it's like "So, everyone just stopped worrying about Homelander and that angle is just gone now? They have to find a way to introduce something new, but also important enough to distract them from the Homelander angle for a short time, so they can focus season 5 back on Homelander and make the final season Homelander vs everyone. And I can't think of any threat that could possibly be more interesting or pressing than Homelander, so they have their work cut out for them.
Yeah honestly I wouldn't have minded if Homelander lost his powers and then somehow had to form an uneasy alliance with The Boys to go up against another threat (such as Head Popper AOC or Edgar, whatever). That would've really turned things on its head and would've brought back a lot more humour back in the show as well (what with all them bants and what not). They could even make it so he'd get his powers back again.

Anyway, overall I'm slowly starting to lose interest. We've had 3 seasons of the exact same thing so far and while it was novel and fresh at first it's really starting to become a slog now.

Last edited:

Sgt.Asher

The super natural style of writing is starting to show. Soldier Boy was completely wasted as nothing more than a plot device, i doubt he will be hardly mentioned after this season(same as his history with MM, which came out of nowhere in this season). His powers were rather inconsistent too, some people can tank a hit from his chest beam and only lose their powers whilst others are blasted apart.

The homelander is trump is getting old too, can really see the seth rogan coming through.

I was hoping this was the final season, but now I can see them dragging this on until they pull a game of thrones.

Honestly thought they were going to be basically offing a "major" supe every episode until a finale with Homelander. It's sort of slowed to day time drama but it's still bat shit crazy to watch. Started solid but had weaker ending episodes this season.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
There was nothing exciting about that "cliffhanger" for and ending to make me go, "OMG I NEED TO SEE THE NEXT SEASON!"

Hezekiah

Banned
There was nothing exciting about that "cliffhanger" for and ending to make me go, "OMG I NEED TO SEE THE NEXT SEASON!"
Honestly it felt stupid and OTT, even in the context of this crazy show.

Still going to watch the next season, and am interested to see where they go, but I feel like they went overboard with that ending.

Tams

Reading through the comments here, and I think a load of you need to take a chill pill and just enjoy entertainment. I feel Thor: Love and Thunder is getting the same over-critiqued reaction.

I get critiquing stuff, but come on, surely you must admit this show is very entertaining?

VN1X

Banned
Reading through the comments here, and I think a load of you need to take a chill pill and just enjoy entertainment. I feel Thor: Love and Thunder is getting the same over-critiqued reaction.

I get critiquing stuff, but come on, surely you must admit this show is very entertaining?
Criticizing others for being critical is the dumbest thing.

"Just turn your brain off!" yes Jimmy, we're nearly drooling in our seats over here. That good enough for ya?

afdf873ccfc918d01918e14e101ce19c.jpg

Tams

Criticizing others for being critical is the dumbest thing.

"Just turn your brain off!" yes Jimmy, we're nearly drooling in our seats over here. That good enough for ya?

afdf873ccfc918d01918e14e101ce19c.jpg
Come up with one decent critique of this season then.

Bored Daily Show GIF by CTV Comedy Channel

bitbydeath

Come up with one decent critique of this season then.

Bored Daily Show GIF by CTV Comedy Channel
The writing, an easy target is Maeve surviving the fall, she should have lost her powers from the blast, but I wonder if they’ll conveniently forget that too and prop that up as to how she survived the fall. (Even though the blast should have evaporated her, as it had done to everyone else and with smaller doses and with them standing further away)

Last edited:

Tams

The writing, an easy target is Maeve surviving the fall, she should have lost her powers from the blast, but I wonder if they’ll conveniently forget that too and prop that up as to how she survived the fall. (Even though the blast should have evaporated her, as it had done to everyone else and with smaller doses and with them standing further away)
We didn't see at what height she lost her powers.

And Kimiko lost her powers to Solider Boy and was impaled completely through the stomach, yet survived. That's means survivability is at least somewhat consistent in this universe. Now, you may bring up Black Noir, but he had his fucking guts ripped out. We also don't fully know if he is dead yet (afterall, he survived horrific brain damage from Soldier Boy).

So,

Pop Tv Ronnielee GIF by Schitt's Creek

Top Bottom