• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher: Season 3 | Official Teaser

Stitch

Gold Member
thats not liam hemsworth
Dj Khaled Compliment GIF

he's in season 4

jason10mm

Gold Member
I'm trying to recall any type of labyrinth from the books but maybe some sort of representation of the portals/Tower of Swallows? Looks like the wild hunt is in it at least. I don't even remember where s2 ended, had the wizard enclave met yet?

I expect this season to be hot trash, but hopefully it is salacious hot trash like s1 instead of the just boring tedium of s2. Genetically enhanced monster hunters should NEVER be dull.

Teletraan1

Banned
I won't be watching. I liked S1 for the most part but S2 was abysmal. I hope others follow suit. How else will these assholes get the message if you just keep watching this shit. Make your own property if you want to put your stamp on it. Don't adapt poorly. Above all of that the way his exit was treated and how the hollywood machine tried to paint him as some misogynist gamergater was dreadful. Keep playing that game and see how fast people like me tune you the fuck out.

jason10mm

Gold Member
I won't be watching. I liked S1 for the most part but S2 was abysmal. I hope others follow suit. How else will these assholes get the message if you just keep watching this shit.
See, the play here is to watch S3, cavill probably kept it at least somewhat decent, then Netflix drops 100 mill on s4 and nobody watches that one. That will teach them, though if the absolute bomb that was Blood Orgins didn't impress netflix that the Witcher audience is driven by cavill and not their writing team then nothing about s3 will change their minds. Anyone who thinks Liam Hemsworth can spearhead a show is just kidding themselves.

Teletraan1

Banned
See, the play here is to watch S3, cavill probably kept it at least somewhat decent, then Netflix drops 100 mill on s4 and nobody watches that one. That will teach them, though if the absolute bomb that was Blood Orgins didn't impress netflix that the Witcher audience is driven by cavill and not their writing team then nothing about s3 will change their minds. Anyone who thinks Liam Hemsworth can spearhead a show is just kidding themselves.
They aren't going to get the hint either way because they are narcissists. Even if it completely fails they can just blame it on misogyny or racism or gamergate or whatever they have set up as the big bad for not liking their poor adaptation of a beloved property. Hopefully some bean counter with no ego will pull the rug out from under them sooner rather than later.

jason10mm

Gold Member
They aren't going to get the hint either way because they are narcissists. Even if it completely fails they can just blame it on misogyny or racism or gamergate or whatever they have set up as the big bad for not liking their poor adaptation of a beloved property. Hopefully some bean counter with no ego will pull the rug out from under them sooner rather than later.
That seems to be the way these streaming services are going. They are getting more and more aggressive in cutting stuff and I think the tolerance for "socially progressive, critically acclaimed, but poor audience response" is growing thin. These guys need stuff that gets subscribers and the golf claps for putting in non-traditional "breaking the standards and finding new audiences" stuff into established genres just isn't cutting it BECAUSE THOSE AUDIENCES DON'T EXIST. Women are NEVER gonna be a staunch supporter of sci-fi, fantasy, action no matter what bait gets thrown out there and minorities......well, they are minorities, so they just don't have the numbers by definition.

If they put in an expensive high octane car chase and shoot-out in the middle of a soapy family drama or holiday romance film it isn't suddenly gonna get a lot of guys watching that stuff. The appeal just isn't there long term. Or adding a lot of stuff that only appeals to 2% of the population that everyone else just has to endure.

So I expect we will see a reversion to tried and true markets. Problem is that the writers are rotten to the core, the new generation have no understanding of their craft and the old guard are spread much too thin. Gonna be a LONG ROUGH ROAD until we get back to quality writing again (though, to be honest, it's always been this way, only the rosy haze of nostalgia and cherry picking makes older stuff seem so good).

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
Not sure why people find her so attractive. She's so... mild.
She actually resembles quite a lot a friend of mine, btw.
Just sommat about her that's all - not drop dead gorgeous but then neither am I so we are ideally suited.

Reactions: Fuz
First season showed some promise but second one was boring. I think the show is kinda dead and nothing can save it. Maybe third take on Witcher book will finally work.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Im in for more Witcher. And likely the last good season.
Last season period. No way a Cavill less witcher survives. The prequel dive bombed, no one wants netflix "original" witcher content and I gotta think that after season 3 they will be far removed from the books. It's totally getting the axe in this era of cost cutting.

Batiman

Banned
I want to like this show but it’s just not enjoyable at all. The show seems to be all over the place. There were a couple of good really good scenes here and there though. Should of just kept a more a simple approach IMO. I might give season 3 a shot but I honestly can’t remember what the fuck was going on last season or how it ended.

Fools idol

Banned
Jesus christ, just watched the new season... this thing is doomed, no wonder Henry Cavil has bailed.

They have deviated so much from the books and games I dont know what is going on anymore. Geralt is barely on screen for the first 3 episodes, dandilion has some weird ass lgbtq plot going on with one of the red princes, and Yen's plot is some weird ass sex in the city sorceress daytime tvshow.

Cyberpunkd

Last season period. No way a Cavill less witcher survives. The prequel dive bombed, no one wants netflix "original" witcher content and I gotta think that after season 3 they will be far removed from the books. It's totally getting the axe in this era of cost cutting.
Best thing about the prequel was the elf queen.

8bitpill

2ZB.gif

This series was problematic from the gate.

The casting, the misdirection it took from the books, the characters personalities, and the list goes on. Henry Cavil was the saving grace of this show. When I first heard he was going to play as Geralt I thought it was off and it was a pleasant surprise how he handled being Geralt.

Contemporary writing and views just made for a polished turd. They made a show trying to please everyone and just tarnished what came before it.

At this point the only thing from The Witcher universe that came out good from Netflix was The Witcher: Nightmare of the Wolf .

My hopes is that CD Projeckt Red just hires a animation studio to create their version of The Witcher.

Cyberpunkd

My hopes is that CD Projeckt Red just hires a animation studio to create their version of The Witcher.
The thing is Witcher OG is not a very PG material, never was. People forget it was written in 1980s in an ethnically homogenous country in Eastern Europe. Hell, very first paragraph of the first book has Geralt having sex. Sorceresses are often portrayed as borderline nymphomaniacs. One of the stories has Yennefer unsure who she wants to continue fucking.

Then what is completely lost on the series - Nilfgaard is by far the most tolerant and civilised country, it’s an exaggerated version of Prussia and “prosperity through order”. Northern Kingdoms are a bunch or racist, unwashed barbarians with kings not giving a fuck about people and busy plotting against one another.

jason10mm

Gold Member
The thing is Witcher OG is not a very PG material, never was. People forget it was written in 1980s in an ethnically homogenous country in Eastern Europe. Hell, very first paragraph of the first book has Geralt having sex. Sorceresses are often portrayed as borderline nymphomaniacs. One of the stories has Yennefer unsure who she wants to continue fucking.

Then what is completely lost on the series - Nilfgaard is by far the most tolerant and civilised country, it’s an exaggerated version of Prussia and “prosperity through order”. Northern Kingdoms are a bunch or racist, unwashed barbarians with kings not giving a fuck about people and busy plotting against one another.
Yeah, I cringe inside whenever they show a chubby sorceress or Yen with a hair out if place. The vanity of those women, which bleeds over into them playing God eventually, is a key element. They are POWERFUL women, but flawed, compared to what we get in the show.

Why it turned so prudish is a mystery, surely they knew the appeal from the start, why abandon it?

Ulysses 31

Yeah, I cringe inside whenever they show a chubby sorceress or Yen with a hair out if place. The vanity of those women, which bleeds over into them playing God eventually, is a key element. They are POWERFUL women, but flawed, compared to what we get in the show.

Why it turned so prudish is a mystery, surely they knew the appeal from the start, why abandon it?
Because they have no reverence for the past work, it's problematic and needs to be fixed for current day adaptations.

One of the writers who left early(Beau Demayo) said they were openly mocking the source material.

Last edited:

8bitpill

Should have mentioned in this statement that the animation would be rated R / mature and along the lines of Castlevania series.

The Netflix series like the polish series (The Hexer) is just the Wish version of the books.

I was surprised they’re even going forward with a fourth season. Switching a major actor is going to just make this look more like a cash grab and watered down.

To throw this in there, in September 2021 it was announced they’re moving forward with a kids friendly Witcher series. This is just a money machine for the producer and Netflix.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Finished the episodes in Season 3 and I liked it.
I'm only on S3ep3. That first episode was rooouuuggghhh, the caravan "Bait" bit was sooo muddled, the caravan turned out to be 2 wagons with Geralt and Yen riding RIGHT BEHIND IT, and there is zero sense of time and space. They could have just had Ciri twirl in a field for a few hours and Reince show up for the same end result. Eps 2-3 got a little better, but they REALLY need to show maps or city names more to orient people better. The elves still feel like hobo versions of humans (that Queen though.....yum) and the Lesser Amell sounds like he thinks he is auditioning for the Geralt role the entire time. Yaskier feels off this season, he was never that great of an actor but something about his haircut or makeup is ruining what little immersion he had from before. Why they aren't trying to get another "Toss a coin to your Witcher" mass hit is odd as well as that guy can sing damned well, maybe it comes later.

I really dug the body horror thing, even if it made little sense. Hire whoever came up with that for S4 please. And STOP having ladies in bath house scenes where they are wearing neck to ankle robes! Just change the setting already instead of trying to make a point that these women shouldn't be sexualized.

Laptop1991

Watched the first one then turned it off, i couldn't watch anymore, awful storytelling, acting and pacing, and Henry not doing much Witchery stuff, and apparently the other episodes were worse according to others, that showrunner didn't read a single book and can't stop lying, this show is over.

Roufianos

Haven't found the motivation to watch this yet but just looked at the IMBD ratings for the new season and they're not good. I think I'm just gonna read the books instead.

Top Bottom