• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Boys – Season 3 Trailer

FingerBang

We didn't see at what height she lost her powers.

And Kimiko lost her powers to Solider Boy and was impaled completely through the stomach, yet survived. That's means survivability is at least somewhat consistent in this universe. Now, you may bring up Black Noir, but he had his fucking guts ripped out. We also don't fully know if he is dead yet (afterall, he survived horrific brain damage from Soldier Boy).

So,

Pop Tv Ronnielee GIF by Schitt's Creek's Creek
Yep, this is the only reason why I don't think Maeve surviving is weird. There is some inconsistence in Soldier Boy's powers though. Kimiko and Maeve lose their powers, but during herogasm he kills a bunch of supes without any sweat.

bitbydeath

And Kimiko lost her powers to Solider Boy and was impaled completely through the stomach, yet survived. That's means survivability is at least somewhat consistent in this universe. Now, you may bring up Black Noir, but he had his fucking guts ripped out. We also don't fully know if he is dead yet (afterall, he survived horrific brain damage from Soldier Boy).

So,

It shouldn’t matter if her powers vanished at the second or even the first floor, the speed at which she was travelling is the same, and again she should have evaporated. Many other supes evaporated for a lot less. Kimiko surviving had nothing to do with her powers.

Last edited:

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins

So,

I really enjoy the show, but it's easy to point out flaws with the writing.

I mentioned it before, that the security at Vought is a joke. Maeve and Annie are easily able to walk into the lab and take temp V whenever they like. Why do the supes have access to the lab in the first place? How wasn't there any security cameras in the lab that picked up supes stealing the V? Why wasn't the most valuable resource on the planet locked down tighter than a Vegas vault and just easily accessible in the lab? Why doesn't anybody notice all this V that's going missing?

It's a bit of a plot hole because in previous seasons Annie had to blackmail somebody who worked in the lab to steal the V for her. That made sense, but season 3 throws that out the window and now everyone can walk in and take what they want.

Still, really enjoy the show and I hope they can fix this plot hole in the next season. For example, maybe Vought knew temp V was being taken, but just let it slide because they think The Boys on temp V might take out Homelander, then temp V ends up killing the Boys. Kill two birds with one stone.

I really enjoy the show, but it's easy to point out flaws with the writing.

I mentioned it before, that the security at Vought is a joke. Maeve and Annie are easily able to walk into the lab and take temp V whenever they like. Why do the supes have access to the lab in the first place? How wasn't there any security cameras in the lab that picked up supes stealing the V? Why wasn't the most valuable resource on the planet locked down tighter than a Vegas vault and just easily accessible in the lab? Why doesn't anybody notice all this V that's going missing?

It's a bit of a plot hole because in previous seasons Annie had to blackmail somebody who worked in the lab to steal the V for her. That made sense, but season 3 throws that out the window and now everyone can walk in and take what they want.

Still, really enjoy the show and I hope they can fix this plot hole in the next season. For example, maybe Vought knew temp V was being taken, but just let it slide because they think The Boys on temp V might take out Homelander, then temp V ends up killing the Boys. Kill two birds with one stone.
Maybe the writers/showrunners hear enough feedback about the V-stealing that they work it into the plot next season. Retconning why it's so easy.

Dr.Morris79

I dunno, it all seemed to be in mockery of it.
Thats what I was thinking. Maybe i'm wrong. Wouldnt be the first time, or last.

I still enjoy the show though. This, Stranger things and The Terminal List spoilt me for TV this last week and a half, and I rarely watch tv.

wondermega

Finished S2 about a week ago and just blasted through S3 the past few days (I was starved for something new to get wrapped up about). I think I agree that S1 > S3 > S2, although overall it is starting to feel a bit long in the tooth. Great characters and relationships and very interesting premise, but in some ways I feel that they really have painted themselves into a corner and may not be clever enough to wring much more out of the show. They really need to be able to pull off more wild FX stuff to feel more bombastic (especially with the whole "ultimate Homelander showdown" that must be coming eventually) but it feels very evident that they will never really have the budget to sell whatever they are leading up to. In that regard I think we might be getting a little spoiled with some of these big-budget these Marvel shows..

And despite the great characters and actors - and again great premises they come up with - a lot of the promising/tense situations they come up with end up getting resolved with kinda increasingly wonky plot devices "ok now we need to find some excuse to get everyone to go to this place and here's the excuse why." It's pretty lazy and undermines a lot of the previous build-up which feels carefully planned before, by comparison. Makes the show feel kinda transparent/shatters the suspension of disbelief.

Of course none of these complaints wouldn't even show up if the show wasn't so well-done otherwise. I was eager to get through the past 2 seasons (after such an intense 1st one) but with the resolution at the end of this past season - well I am certainly interested to see what comes next, but hopefully they will be a little less rushed about it. There's a few good unresolved threads out there that they can still play with.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Finally wrapped up S3. Alas, I felt like the season was on a pretty steady downhill post ep6. Homelander feels very nerfed, hell Maeve by herself almost fights him to a standstill but somehow the combo of V'd up Butcher, regular ass MM and Frenchie, Kimiko, and Starlight, whatever the hell her power actually is sorta kinda stalled Soldier Boy. I kinda like the idea, however underdeveloped it is, that normies actually know how to fight while Supes are kinda lazy and just rely on their powers, but the randomly fluctuating power levels makes it realy hard to know the stakes. The Frenchie /Kimiko relationship is all over the damn place, they just keep to haul off into the sunset IMHO. Could they have given Maeve more of the permament V to restore her? I'm sure they let her live for that express purpose. The season basically ends where it began other than half of the 7 being dead or quit. Like why didn't they think to use that nerve agent on Homelander as well?

Anyway, Homelander continues to carry this show along with Butcher providing momentary entertainment. The rest of this cast is getting REALLY long in the tooth and the whole Vought thing needs to go. Hopefully we'll see Homelander just demolish the building in S4ep1 and the whole season is a triangle between the VP, homelander and his crew, and the Boys.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
Finally wrapped up S3. Alas, I felt like the season was on a pretty steady downhill post ep6. Homelander feels very nerfed, hell Maeve by herself almost fights him to a standstill but somehow the combo of V'd up Butcher, regular ass MM and Frenchie, Kimiko, and Starlight, whatever the hell her power actually is sorta kinda stalled Soldier Boy. I kinda like the idea, however underdeveloped it is, that normies actually know how to fight while Supes are kinda lazy and just rely on their powers, but the randomly fluctuating power levels makes it realy hard to know the stakes. The Frenchie /Kimiko relationship is all over the damn place, they just keep to haul off into the sunset IMHO. Could they have given Maeve more of the permament V to restore her? I'm sure they let her live for that express purpose. The season basically ends where it began other than half of the 7 being dead or quit. Like why didn't they think to use that nerve agent on Homelander as well?

Anyway, Homelander continues to carry this show along with Butcher providing momentary entertainment. The rest of this cast is getting REALLY long in the tooth and the whole Vought thing needs to go. Hopefully we'll see Homelander just demolish the building in S4ep1 and the whole season is a triangle between the VP, homelander and his crew, and the Boys.

Fully agreed on Homelander nerf and fluctuating power levels.
Also, wtf was with Maeve using a normal metal chunk to pierce homelander's ears? So bullets dont do anything but a simple metal rod goes through? Severe nerf, especially in the last episode, to create some tension.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Fully agreed on Homelander nerf and fluctuating power levels.
Also, wtf was with Maeve using a normal metal chunk to pierce homelander's ears? So bullets dont do anything but a simple metal rod goes through? Severe nerf, especially in the last episode, to create some tension.
This is a common writer failure. They don't really understand physics, or at least don't care. How many times do you see someone take a tank round to the chest, something with an almost unimaginable amount of kinetic energy, and are unfazed yet a punch with orders of magnitude less energy, knocks the guy out. Visually I think this plays well to the audience.

Also consider the classic image of superman with 6 rounds bouncing off the chest yet he ducks when the pistol is thrown at him. Why? The actor doesn't want to get hit :p

About the only time this was even remotely "realistiically" done, IMHO, was with Power Man on Netflix. Point blank shotgun rounds to the head didn't penetrate, but knocked him out as his skin was imprenetrable but his internal organs/brain were still suceptible to energy transfer. Of course he still punched through walls and stuff that should have broken bones but what can you do?

Top Bottom