• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Bros. Wonder Nintendo Direct announced for August 31st | 7AM PT, 10AM ET, 3PM UK, 4PM CEST | roughly 15 minutes long

Oof. The timing of this and the lineup for the remainder of the year makes me think we won’t be getting the usual September Direct. Not unless they’re dropping some big guns outta nowhere. I predict no general Direct for rest of the year, and they are clearly prepping for a new console.

Maybe that, or maybe a big Direct that arrives later than normal, like late October/ early November-ish. Highlighting Mario RPG, and first half 2024 lineup including the Peach game and Luigi’s Mansion 2 remake. I think those two games are transitional titles to fill the lineup out and tide us over til Switch Advance or whatever they decide to call it.

Last edited:

rkofan87

Gold Member
Oof. The timing of this and the lineup for the remainder of the year makes me think we won’t be getting the usual September Direct. Not unless they’re dropping some big guns outta nowhere. I think no Direct for rest of the year, and they are clearly prepping for a new console.
this.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Oof. The timing of this and the lineup for the remainder of the year makes me think we won’t be getting the usual September Direct. Not unless they’re dropping some big guns outta nowhere. I predict no general Direct for rest of the year, and they are clearly prepping for a new console.

Maybe that, or maybe a big Direct that arrives later than normal, like late October/ early November-ish. Highlighting Mario RPG, and first half 2024 lineup including the Peach game and Luigi’s Mansion 2 remake.
I really dont think we will see anything new and surprising until Switch 2 gets unveiled.

Robb

Gold Member
Sweet, can’t believe we had to wait 11 years for a new 2D Mario.

Let’s-a-go!

SQdAj.gif

Last edited:
I really dont think we will see anything new and surprising until Switch 2 gets unveiled.
I agree. I think that’s why they’re doing a title Direct for Wonder instead of waiting two more weeks and having it anchor a general Direct. They’re moving internal focus over to what’s next.

Last edited:

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
After rewatching the reveal trailer, I’m honestly pretty impressed by Chris Pratt’s performance in this. He sounds way more like Mario than in the movie. It’s crazy how much better he got in such a short amount of time.

I think the main reason for this Direct that no one’s mentioned yet is based around timing of Nintendo Live taking place globally directly following this Direct. Great marketing plan, show the Wonder Direct, get everyone jazzed about it again, 6 weeks before launch, and then have a bunch of demos of it for people to try out at Nintendo Live all weekend. Everyone’s gonna be talking about this game, I can feel it already. Gonna be their biggest seller of the year for sure, beyond even TotK.

Last edited:

Astral Dog

do you all think we get a direct this coming month or is this it?
I still expect to see a September Direct

since Super Mario Wonder is their big holiday game,seems like they needed a few minutes extra to properly showcase the first 2D Mario in 11 years

We don't know what they have planned for early next year and normally there are no Directs in November/Dicember

Skeptical

Maybe that, or maybe a big Direct that arrives later than normal, like late October/ early November-ish. Highlighting Mario RPG, and first half 2024 lineup including the Peach game and Luigi’s Mansion 2 remake. I think those two games are transitional titles to fill the lineup out and tide us over til Switch Advance or whatever they decide to call it.
Why? Nintendo dropped a trailer for Pikmin 4 showing the character creation on June 6. A full direct was just two weeks later on June 21. So having a full direct 2 weeks after this Mario Wonder one is hardly unprecedented. Besides, Nintendo has been moving away from these extremely long segments in directs and putting them as separate videos (Tears of the Kingdom IIRC never had an overview segment in a main direct, trailers). Mario is a huge game. Letting it have its own spotlight changes nothing about the rest of Nintendo's timing.

Also, I think the days of Nintendo abandoning a platform 6-12 months before the new one is out is over. This is especially true if they aim to have a smooth transition of Switch owners to the Switch 2. They have nothing scheduled for 2024 (just 2 games with no release dates, well, and Metroid Prime 4) and traditionally don't have a direct until February. They need something to fill in the Jan-March/April timeframe.

Why? Nintendo dropped a trailer for Pikmin 4 showing the character creation on June 6. A full direct was just two weeks later on June 21. So having a full direct 2 weeks after this Mario Wonder one is hardly unprecedented. Besides, Nintendo has been moving away from these extremely long segments in directs and putting them as separate videos (Tears of the Kingdom IIRC never had an overview segment in a main direct, trailers). Mario is a huge game. Letting it have its own spotlight changes nothing about the rest of Nintendo's timing.

Also, I think the days of Nintendo abandoning a platform 6-12 months before the new one is out is over. This is especially true if they aim to have a smooth transition of Switch owners to the Switch 2. They have nothing scheduled for 2024 (just 2 games with no release dates, well, and Metroid Prime 4) and traditionally don't have a direct until February. They need something to fill in the Jan-March/April timeframe.

I guess I’m not understanding your point of comparison. The pikmin trailer was just a trailer drop, two weeks after they just had a direct. Which is perfectly normal .I don’t understand what that has to do with my point about doing a Title direct for Mario game two weeks before they’ve done a direct every September other than Covid since the switch started.

There’s very little doubt that them doing a title direct so close to the time they do a normal general direct very likely means we’re not getting the usual September direct. In my opinion. I’m not an insider I’m just giving my honest opinion.

Since the game doesn’t launch until late October, this Title direct comes very early, and a bit unnecessary. *If there’s a general direct coming in two weeks. That’s my point. Why wouldn’t they just anchor the usual September Direct with Mario Wonder in 2 weeks, if they were doing a General.

Last edited:
I guess I’m not understanding your point of comparison. The pikmin trailer was just a trailer drop, two weeks after they just had a direct. Which is perfectly normal .I don’t understand what that has to do with my point about doing a Title direct for Mario game two weeks before they’ve done a direct every September other than Covid since the switch started.

There’s very little doubt that them doing a title direct so close to the time they do a normal general direct very likely means we’re not getting the usual September direct. In my opinion. I’m not an insider I’m just giving my honest opinion.

Since the game doesn’t launch until late October, this Title direct comes very early, and a bit unnecessary. *If there’s a general direct coming in two weeks. That’s my point. Why wouldn’t they just anchor the usual September Direct with Mario Wonder in 2 weeks, if they were doing a General.

Just last year they did a Splatoon 3 Direct on Aug. 10 and then a general direct on Sep. 13

Saber

Gold Member
Oh cool. Aways want to see for sure if this game will be cool. I still have my doubts though.

Just last year they did a Splatoon 3 Direct on Aug. 10 and then a general direct on Sep. 13

That was a month in between, and Splatoon launched in September, so it would’ve been too late to put all that into the Direct. Mario launches in late October.

Another way to look at it would be what’s going to be in a direct if their big holiday game’s already had one 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
I still expect to see a September Direct

since Super Mario Wonder is their big holiday game,seems like they needed a few minutes extra to properly showcase the first 2D Mario in 11 years

We don't know what they have planned for early next year and normally there are no Directs in November/Dicember

Console transition periods are always impossible to predict using what Nintendo “usually does”. Usually they always do a September Direct, but they also usually don’t do a title Direct right before Labor Day. And they also don’t usually have to contend with a console transition the following year. 🤷‍♂️. So, could there still be a September Direct, this Wonder title Direct notwithstanding? Sure, it’s possible. But what would the anchor software in it be? Normally the big year-end holiday game (Wonder this year is that game) would be the big ticket title in the Direct that they spend 5-10 minutes talking about in detail.

But again, 2023’s weird because of no E3, that June Direct being a week late, Nintendo doesn’t normally do Nintendo Lives outside Japan, there’s a Mario Wonder title Direct right before Labor Day, and there’s a console transition in process behind the scenes sometime in the next 6-12 months. So literally anything is possible.

They could do a full Direct in October and talk about Mario RPG, Peach game, and Dark Moon remake, etc. or they would do a Mini for those three, or there could be nothing til next year outside of trailer drops to get us through end of the year 🤷‍♂️

The only reason to expect them to still do a full Direct in September would be everyone expects them to do one and Nintendo are keenly aware of what people expect of them. And Directs do drive tons of buzz and excitement that lead to a boost in hardware sales.

Last edited:

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
I think the main reason for this Direct that no one’s mentioned yet is based around timing of Nintendo Live taking place globally directly following this Direct. Great marketing plan, show the Wonder Direct, get everyone jazzed about it again, 6 weeks before launch, and then have a bunch of demos of it for people to try out at Nintendo Live all weekend. Everyone’s gonna be talking about this game, I can feel it already. Gonna be their biggest seller of the year for sure, beyond even TotK.
Yep they prob are withholding secrets kinda like the hat transformations in Odyssey, and they know it's gonna get spoiled.

EDIT: They also did the same for Tears of the Kingdom where they showed more gameplay.

Last edited:

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Oh cool. Aways want to see for sure if this game will be cool. I still have my doubts though.
I agree and I’m also a little doubtful. I don’t think the 2D Mario’s have been very good since Yoshi’s Island compared to the 3D entries. I play them once and forget about them.

Why are you doubtful, personally?

Last edited:

Woopah

Mario gets its own Direct because they don't want to spend 15 minutes of a Direct on a single game.

The General Direct still needs to be in September, so Japanese third parties can announce games before TGS.

Mario gets its own Direct because they don't want to spend 15 minutes of a Direct on a single game.

The General Direct still needs to be in September, so Japanese third parties can announce games before TGS.

??? they do it all time. That’s what Directs are for, dude. I’m sure you’re not saying there’s so much to Mario Wonder that it would be a longer segment than what was needed for Mario Odyssey or Luigi’s Mansion 3, or Smash Ultimate, etc. All of those were in general Directs. Title Directs are usually used to highlight one game because the timing of a General Direct doesn’t align so they need to make separate one. It’s really not ever because they literally don’t have time to discuss the game in a normal Direct.

And they could easily do a Partner Mini Direct to satisfy what you’re saying about TGS announcement arrangements. They’ve done so many times in the recent past.

We’ll see what happens I guess.

Last edited:

Astral Dog

Console transition periods are always impossible to predict using what Nintendo “usually does”. Usually they always do a September Direct, but they also usually don’t do a title Direct right before Labor Day. And they also don’t usually have to contend with a console transition the following year. 🤷‍♂️. So, could there still be a September Direct, this Wonder title Direct notwithstanding? Sure, it’s possible. But what would the anchor software in it be? Normally the big year-end holiday game (Wonder this year is that game) would be the big ticket title in the Direct that they spend 5-10 minutes talking about in detail.

But again, 2023’s weird because of no E3, that June Direct being a week late, Nintendo doesn’t normally do Nintendo Lives outside Japan, there’s a Mario Wonder title Direct right before Labor Day, and there’s a console transition in process behind the scenes sometime in the next 6-12 months. So literally anything is possible.

They could do a full Direct in October and talk about Mario RPG, Peach game, and Dark Moon remake, etc. or they would do a Mini for those three, or there could be nothing til next year outside of trailer drops to get us through end of the year 🤷‍♂️

The only reason to expect them to still do a full Direct in September would be everyone expects them to do one and Nintendo are keenly aware of what people expect of them. And Directs do drive tons of buzz and excitement that lead to a boost in hardware sales.
It could go one way or another

Personally i believe they will show a Direct in September, maybe Mini but General is more likely but its true we are entering in a console transition period, and Nintendo are hard to guess

Makes sense to keep the fanbase hyped into next generation with say, a Metroid Prime 4 teaser with a 2024 date(it should be time right?)and other stuff than to keep completely silent for the rest of the year..

And we don't know if Switch 2 will release holiday 2024 or sooner,they need to announce something to fill up the gap

Last edited:

Woopah

??? they do it all time. That’s what Directs are for, dude. I’m sure you’re not saying there’s so much to Mario Wonder that it would be a longer segment than what was needed for Mario Odyssey or Luigi’s Mansion 3, or Smash Ultimate, etc. All of those were in general Directs. Title Directs are usually used to highlight one game because the timing of a General Direct doesn’t align so they need to make separate one. It’s really not ever because they literally don’t have time to discuss the game in a normal Direct.

And they could easily do a Partner Mini Direct to satisfy what you’re saying about TGS announcement arrangements. They’ve done so many times in the recent past.

We’ll see what happens I guess.
They did it early on in Switch's life when they didn't have a lot of content, but neither Luigi's Mansion 3 nor Mario Odyssey got 15 minutes segments in General Directs. Smash Bros. was the last time they ever did that.

Mario Maker 2 got a 17 minute dedicated Direct, and then they followed it up with a General Direct. The same can happen here.

They did it early on in Switch's life when they didn't have a lot of content, but neither Luigi's Mansion 3 nor Mario Odyssey got 15 minutes segments in General Directs. Smash Bros. was the last time they ever did that.

Mario Maker 2 got a 17 minute dedicated Direct, and then they followed it up with a General Direct. The same can happen here.

You absolutely argue it either way. This is Nintendo we are talking about 🤷‍♂️

My gut feeling is this Wonder Direct signals there won’t be a big September blowout Direct like normal, at the very least a Direct moved to late October. But I could definitely be wrong.

Saber

Gold Member
I agree and I’m also a little doubtful. I don’t think the 2D Mario’s have been very good since Yoshi’s Island compared to the 3D entries. I play them once and forget about them.

Why are you doubtful, personally?

Visually it doesn't look that much different from older New Super Marios. I would like to see if the soundtrack holds up.

Top Bottom