• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Bros. Wonder | Review Thread

Draugoth

Gold Member
a13441a9532b1c9e90f657ee1c67255de073707543ff6735ceb57b472faec691

Game Information​

Game Title: Super Mario Bros. Wonder

Platforms:

• Nintendo Switch (Oct 20, 2023)
Trailers:

Developer: Nintendo

Review Aggregator:

OpenCritic - 92 average - 97% recommended - 28 reviews

Captura-de-tela-2023-10-18-102145.png

MetaCritic - 94 average - Must Play - 50 reviews

Captura-de-tela-2023-10-18-102211.png

Critic Reviews​

CGMagazine - Jordan Biordi - 10 / 10
Super Mario Bros. Wonder is a complete reinvention of everything that makes the franchise great, and the best 2D Mario game ever made.

Cerealkillerz - Julian Bieder - German - 8 / 10
Super Mario Bros. Wonder evidently impresses with its creativity and innovation! The best jump 'n' run action paired with the colourful presentation of the flower kingdom including new enemy types and unpredictable spectacles of a wonder flower leave hardly anything to be desired! The implementation of a selectable badge before the levels rounds off the game experience; and the multiplayer has clearly been given some thought too. Only in terms of scope one can sense the short playing time and the small amount of power-ups that can be found.

Checkpoint Gaming - Elliot Attard - 9 / 10
Super Mario Bros. Wonder is yet another magnificent showing from Nintendo. To take a concept that's so well understood but still find new ways to impress is no easy feat. Yet Mario Wonder excels in this field thanks to incredibly dynamic gameplay, headlined by the imaginative amazement of the Wonder Flower. It's hard not to fall in love with this new release, a game that's packed to the brim with charm and zest.

Console Creatures - Bobby Pashalidis - Recommended
Super Mario Bros. Wonder delivers one of the best 2D Mario games in decades, providing an experience unquestionably tied to Nintendo’s identity.

Daily Mirror - Scott McCrae - 5 / 5
Simply put, thanks to the inventive gameplay tweaks, and the absolutely gorgeous visuals and animation, Super Mario Bros. Wonder is the best 2D Mario since the SNES era, and a strong contender for the best one yet.

Destructoid - Timothy Monbleau - 9 / 10
Super Mario Bros. Wonder is the first Mario game in literal decades to live up to the plumber’s legendary 2D platforming legacy. It is a return to levels overflowing with creativity, a world rich with secrets to uncover, and controls that make the mere act of movement fun. Whether Wonder exceeds or meets the quality of Super Mario Bros. 3 or World is for the fans to debate. But that aside, I’m confident in saying that Mario’s latest adventure is one of the best side-scrollers you’ll find on the Switch. Long live 2D Mario!

Dexerto - James Busby - 4 / 5
While Super Mario Bros. Wonder doesn't revolutionize Nintendo’s beloved series, the charming 2D platformer successfully pays homage to its roots, paving the way forward with unique twists that keep the gameplay feeling fresh.
Mario Bros. Wonder may not take the crown from Super Mario Bros. 3 or Oddysey, but the latest outing encapsulates the very essence of what a 2D Mario game should be. It’s silly, whacky, and most importantly great fun.
The fact that Nintendo can still deliver a great 2D Mario game 42 years after the first title hit our screens back in 1981, really is a wonder in itself.

Digital Spy - Jess Lee - 3.5 / 5
It is a game that tries to evoke a feeling of discovery at every possible turn, but in doing so loses the element of wonder fairly quickly.
Instead, Wonder's strongest moments are when it takes a breather, taking the time to set the scene while letting the platforming do the talking.

Enternity.gr - Nikitas Kavouklis - Greek - 9 / 10
Super Mario Bros. Wonder is the game every Nintendo Switch owner should buy!

Eurogamer - Christian Donlan - 5 / 5
An endless cascade of ideas in a game that takes Mario to some wonderfully strange places.

Everyeye.it - Cristina Bona - Italian - 9.2 / 10
Several times we found ourselves postponing the conclusion of a game session, eager to see what surprise the next level would have in store for us.

GameSpot - Steve Watts - 9 / 10
This is the rightful successor to Super Mario World, and hopefully, will serve as a touchstone for 2D Mario going forward.

Glitched Africa - Marco Cocomello - 9.5 / 10
Super Mario Bros. Wonder takes simplicity and turns it into pure joy. It is Nintendo’s masterful level design at its finest. The game’s Wonder Seed system also delivers charming gameplay sections we have yet to see from the series to date. It is simply wonderful.

IGN - Ryan McCaffrey - 9 / 10
Super Mario Bros. Wonder looks and plays like the true next step for 2D Mario platformers. Wonder effects change each stage in both surprising and delightful ways, the Flower Kingdom makes for a vibrant and refreshing change of pace, and Elephant Mario steals the show.

IGN Italy - Mattia Ravanelli - Italian - 9.5 / 10
Super Mario Bros. Wonder paves a bold new road for the "classic" Mario experience. Never a 2D Mario has been so surprising and satisfying since Super Mario World.

Metro GameCentral - David Jenkins - 10 / 10
A fantastic 2D platformer that immediately takes its place amongst the pantheon of Nintendo's very best titles, with such a constant stream of new and surreal ideas you want to stand up and applaud it by the end of it.

Nintendo Life - PJ O'Reilly - 9 / 10

Super Mario Bros. Wonder is, quite simply, the best 2D Mario game since Super Mario World. This is the slickest, sharpest, and smartest that two-dimensional Mario has felt since 1991 and in its Wonder Flowers, badges, and online aspects, it serves up an endlessly inventive and impressive platforming adventure that we've been utterly hooked on. With local co-op and online fun adding to the replayability factor and nigh-on perfect performance in both docked and handheld modes, this feels like 2D Mario with its mojo back, and one of the very best platformers we've played in quite some time.

Press Start - James Mitchell - 10 / 10
Super Mario Bros. Wonder is just that. A wonder. It leverages tight and concise platforming with a robust set of power-ups and skills to offer a degree of flexibility to players like never before. While it's still slightly easier than I'd like, Super Mario Bros. Wonder is an incredibly engaging Mario game and one of the best platformers available on the Switch, if not ever.

SECTOR.sk - Matúš Štrba - Slovak - 8 / 10
Super Mario Bros. Wonder is a very good 2D platformer, full of little innovations, but it doesn't feel like a major revolution. It plays very similarly to Super Mario Bros. 2, and that's a game that's already 35 years old.

Shacknews - Asif Khan - 10 / 10
At its core Super Mario Bros. Wonder is a fun and fantastic escape from reality that will leave players smiling for years to come.

Spaziogames - Valentino Cinefra - Italian - 9 / 10
Super Mario Bros. Wonder is a new classic: charismatic, eclectic, lysergic, funny, entertaining and... entertained.

Stevivor - Ben Salter - 9.5 / 10
Super Mario Bros Wonder is a resounding success. It reboots a 2.5D reboot, with far more personality and the best balance and pacing in the modernised side-scrolling Super Mario Bros series.

TheSixthAxis - Stefan L - 9 / 10
Super Mario Bros. Wonder puts a fresh new spin on the classic Mario side-scroller with wild and trippy level transformations. It's still Mario at its core, but it's fun not knowing what to expect from each level. This could be the start of a bright new era for 2D Mario games.

VG247 - Alex Donaldson - 5 / 5
Within the understood parameters of what 2D Mario can be, this has to be the single best entry since Super Mario World - and is the perfect first game to launch a new era of Mario games with his new-found elevation to movie star status.

VGC - Andy Robinson - 5 / 5

Inventive and full of heart, with a tight design and striking presentation, Super Mario Bros. Wonder is undoubtedly the plumber’s most memorable 2D outing since the 1990s.

Video Chums - A.J. Maciejewski - 8.7 / 10
Super Mario Bros. Wonder certainly lives up to its name by offering a spectacle-filled and simply magical experience where you never know what sort of clever twist will pop-up next. Plus, it has a surprising level of challenge for anyone wanting to test their platforming skills.

Wccftech - Nathan Birch - 9.5 / 10
Super Mario Bros. Wonder is the plumber’s best platformer this generation. We haven’t been able to say that of a 2D Mario for a long time, but this game measures up to the best and most beloved side-scrollers Nintendo has ever made, delivering joyously-creative level design and rock-solid platforming in a gorgeous wrapper.

We Got This Covered - Shaan Joshi - 5 / 5
Super Mario Bros. Wonder is an absolute masterpiece, offering up some of the most inventive, charming, and creative platforming action the genre has ever seen. It might have taken three decades, but Super Mario World has finally been dethroned.

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Scores are well deserved, the game has been great (my copy arrived a few days early). I don't agree that "it's the best 2D Mario game ever made" because there are a lot of reasons that Super Mario World is still the king, in my opinion. I predicted a 95 metascore, so I was close.

Congrats, like I said in another thread, Nintendo and PlayStation consistently deliver exclusive GOTY contenders year in and year out, sometimes *multiple* GOTY contenders in a single year, you all enjoy it 👌

skit_data

This year has been crazy honestly and it just goes on and on with these super ciritically acclaimed titles.
It's gonna be really interesting to see what game wins Geoffs GOTY. I'd love to see BG3 win, it would probably be such a huge and great thing for the studio compared to giving it to one of the first party developers

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Do any of the reviews mention difficulty and how long the game is?
Difficulty in this game is a bit of a sliding scale, as there are various ways you can make the game a cakewalk thanks to badges and yoshi/nabbit characters that can only die from pits and don't otherwise take damage. Some levels are downright dastardly though, and without taking the handicaps I'm finding some to be incredibly difficult and require precise timing and platforming.

As for length, I'm about halfway through the game now, and I've played for 3.5 hours, but I've also been playing every level (even the optional ones). I would say the whole game could be comfortably finished in 7-8 hours. Rushing through with the handicap characters and skipping the optional levels you could probably easily do it in 5.

Top Bottom