• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Bros. Wonder | Review Thread

Cashon

Banned
cover3.jpg
Oh, I don't want people to not have fun. I fully intend on playing through this game eventually.

I just feel like I'm constantly not seeing what other people are seeing.

Will Ferrell Crazy Pills GIF

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins is one of my favorite games of all time, so it's good to see 2D Mario doing so well this far into the franchise's lifespan.
I wish the franchise would dip into some of the weirdness that game had. Wonder definitely seems to go that angle, but I want them to make it even weirder.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
This. And 2D Mario games are still very, very good platformers (most of them, anyway). If people really lament that this is a "2D" game then they should also, consequently, shit on every fucking indie game as well (especially the "pixel art" ones) since these are 2D as well.
Here here! Jolly good comment sir!

Woopah

Only thing that bothers me is that there is a 4 player mode in the game.
IMO the world design suffers a bit when played alone everything is so wide because it's designed for 4 players.
Given that characters now overlap and don't bump into each other, do platforms need to be wider for 4 players?

Synless

Non-mainline Mario just waltzed in and outdid the Spider-Man.

i wonder how that dude feels that was saying this Mario had no right to be a game of the year contender to that one other dudes graphic. A bit humbled I’d bet.

Last edited:
Its really cool how Nintendo continues to innovate, especially in the 2d genre. I still struggle with the idea of paying 60$ for a 2d platformer that will only take up 12 hrs of my time

Cashon

Banned
I went in the game with an expectation of it being mediocre, but the more I play the more I find myself getting addicted to it. Sign of a good game.
This is good to read. I would love for it to surprise me and feel fresh, but my expectations are that it will just feel like more of the New series. Hopefully I have a similar experience to yours.

Katajx

Gold Member
Played a few stages of the demo at a Best Buy today. It was great, and way better than NSMB.

I love the visuals and all the little touches with the animations. After the first level I stopped using the elephant power up and played with some badges and just had fun.

DryvBy

This year is packed with great games. I'm still trying to get through half that I have and here we are, about to play two great bangers this year from Sony and Nintendo in one week.

Then when you think it's over, bam, Nintendo drops the RPG bomb. Then we you think that's over, bam, WW3 and I won't get to enjoy 2024 games.

TIGERCOOL

I guess there’s a part of me that wonders how such a formula can score higher than other games that are just doing so much more. I’m sure it’s a good game, but the 2D formula for Mario hasn’t been fun for me since I was a kid.
I’m sure my gf will get it at some point and I’ll give it a shot, but I’d rather just have Galaxy 3.
I can tell you that if 2D Mario's have lost their luster for you, this one isn't going to change that. It's a solid 8.5 though, good fun and worth your time. It's structured more like a modern Yoshi game in that the focus in main path levels is almost entirely on secrets and gimmicks. If you're ignoring the extras you will absolutely cruise through it and probably feel slightly baffled at the brain dead simplicity of it all. Though I doubt anyone does that.

That said, those aspects are very well executed for what they are. It just doesn't feel like the Mario World successor it's being hyped up as. More claustrophobic, and the pure platforming elements aren't as seamlessly integrated as SMW.

I'm right there with you waiting on Galaxy 3. In 4k on the Switch 2... My god...

Interfectum

Free Pass Studios out with another 90+ banger! :messenger_clapping:

FWIW, This is looking like a great game! But some of these reviews are quite ridiculous, it has to be said. Not the scores themselves (it is what it is), but the criteria publications use to rate Nintendo/Maria games... the bar is so low it must be in hell.
Uh Huh Sure GIF

If you agree with a review, it's spot on and accurate. If you don't agree it's Nintendo/Sony/MS bias.

Stop being a doofus.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member

FWIW, This is looking like a great game! But some of these reviews are quite ridiculous, it has to be said. Not the scores themselves (it is what it is), but the criteria publications use to rate Nintendo/Maria games... the bar is so low it must be in hell.

That's not something i'd expect a patientgamer to say

shoplifter

It's good, but it feels floaty to me in ways the old games never did, which has been pretty consistent across all of the 3d side scrolling Mario games from NSBU on

edit: I've come around, it feels fine now

Last edited:

OuterLimits

I was expecting mid 80s so this is certainly reviewing better than I guessed.

The fact Nintendo is releasing such highly scored games right at the end of the Switch lifespan is very impressive.

I don't think that's a fair thing to say because their games are gens behind from a tech standpoint compared to the others.

Its easier to pump out games when you don't need to worry about keeping up with graphics, fps, ray tracing, etc.
The people who jokingly claim that Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is a better looking game than Gran Turismo 7 and Forza Motorsport don't know how kind of right they really are

Graphics tech and ray tracing and shit are nice but ultimately how good a game "looks" is more than the number of tech buzzwords in the engine

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
Dunno. It's ok for me so far. Still early on, but not really yet. Usually I'm not a fan of the 2D marios, I also feel like the movement is so limited compared to the 3D ones, not sure why they don't allow for more.

Was Mario Sunshine just a continuation of Mario 64? Was Mario Galaxy just a continuation of Mario Sunshine? "nice refreshing of the models & controls/weight, plus some new level gimmicks and a huge slop of paint on top" is broad enough that it could easily describe the differences between Super Mario Bros. 3 and Super Mario World, or really any game and a subsequent sequel most of the time.

The "New" series was obviously riding the nostalgia wave and giving people what they had been asking for, a new 2D platformer Mario game. To me the level design, look and feel, power ups, etc. all felt like they were extremely safe and designed by committee. Meanwhile, this game has actual charm, smart levels, great visuals, and overall it's just fun to play. The first four 2D Mario games had an incredible amount of whimsy that was almost totally stripped out of the "New" games in favor of appealing to member berries, but it's back in Mario Wonder.

The people saying "this feels like the real Mario 5" are only saying that because this game feels like a return to form for 2D Mario that we haven't seen since the SNES days. This isn't trying to be a nostalgia cash grab, it's trying to be a competent 2D Mario platformer.

I'll be picking the physical up for this game in December. Everything I heard about the game is that it's the best 2D Mario since Yoshi Island.

DryvBy

I am not enjoying this like I was hyping it up in my head. Sad to say, this is one of the worst 2.5D Marios I've played in terms of fun. It doesn't have a feel of a true platformer. It just feels like it's a race to get to the Wonder stuff and ride it out until the end. I don't know how else to put it but it feels like a side game or a Party platformer.

Maybe I just haven't played enough but World 1 gave me 0 issues and World 2 is the same way.

Impotaku

Screen-Shot-2022-10-06-at-4.11.43-PM.png

Astral Dog

I am not enjoying this like I was hyping it up in my head. Sad to say, this is one of the worst 2.5D Marios I've played in terms of fun. It doesn't have a feel of a true platformer. It just feels like it's a race to get to the Wonder stuff and ride it out until the end. I don't know how else to put it but it feels like a side game or a Party platformer.

Maybe I just haven't played enough but World 1 gave me 0 issues and World 2 is the same way.
I guess, it feels a little more "gimmicky" in a way compared to the previous games,with the Wonder mechanic,its not a negative though everybody wanted a change and Super Mario Wonder definetly delivers that change, there is no other 2D Mario that plays like it thats why its so praised

Top Bottom