• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Direct announced for September 14 at 7AM PT, 10AM ET, 15 UK, 16 CEST featuring 40 minutes of Nintendo Switch games releasing this Winter

BlackTron

Same here. I always loved their games. I wish they'd re-release Dragon's Crown, Aegis Rim and Odin Sphere on PS5. A tactical fantasy RPG was not something I expected them to announce so it was a cool surprise. I was wondering what their next game was and here it is lol.

There is something magical about Vanillaware's art style.

I was somewhat blindsided to notice Dragon's Crown digital on PS4 a few years ago and grabbed it for 10 bucks. It was touched up, more HD and even remastered music. Might wanna try that on PS5 BC. Still can never part with my PS3 copy even though will probably never use it again lol

Last edited:
This is the most end of console life cycle presentation I've ever seen.
For me that was the last two presentations. Nothing but farming sims left and right followed by only two big announcements.

I have nothing against farming sims, but if you want to put your viewing audience to sleep I can think of nothing better than overloading your presentation with them.

This direct I’ll give it a C, only because I haven’t played some of the original versions of these remakes, and it’s good to see them all being brought over to one system.

Elysion

Banned
Is it save to say at this point that Metroid Prime 4 is a Switch 2 game? In fact, it might not even be cross-gen, but a Switch 2 exclusive (possibly even a launch title). The reason I think it’s next-gen only without a Switch version is because they haven’t shown anything of it since the announcement, unlike with games like BotW or Twilight Princess, which they kept showing for their original hardware even before the next system was announced. But we’ve got absolutely nothing for MP4 so far.

blacktout

Not going to lie, the most exciting announcement for me was Horizon Chase 2. I picked up the original last year when it was on sale for like $5 and was shocked by how much I loved it. Had no idea there was a sequel coming.

Otherwise the Direct was pretty much what I expected: lots of low cost filler to keep the Switch afloat while Nintendo preps for the launch of its successor.

Gambit2483

Is it save to say at this point that Metroid Prime 4 is a Switch 2 game? In fact, it might not even be cross-gen, but a Switch 2 exclusive (possibly even a launch title). The reason I think it’s next-gen only without a Switch version is because they haven’t shown anything of it since the announcement, unlike with games like BotW or Twilight Princess, which they kept showing for their original hardware even before the next system was announced. But we’ve got absolutely nothing for MP4 so far.
It's definitely Switch 2 but yea, at this point it might just be exclusive. No Metroid Prime 2 announcement is extremely telling though.

If there's no Metroid Prime 2 this year then Switch 2 might not be launching until 2nd half of 2024. That's another year of Switch being drug out on ports, remakes and remasters...jc

SCB3

This has pretty much confirmed that a switch 2 is going to be Holiday and not an early year release like the Switch was

Stafford

Friend of mine says a rumor is saying Nintendo is changing their strategy and now planning to release the new system earlier. Anyone can make a rumor and I really doubt it.

Holiday 2024, no reason to believe otherwise, unless they reveal it this year or very early next year with a summer release. Doubt it very much.

F31 Leopard

Wasn't the greatest Direct but definitely picking up these titles presented.

SaGa Emerald
Another Code Recollection
Unicorn Overlord
Eiyuden Chronicles Hundred Heroes
Tomb Raider Collection

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Like clockwork.

People have been clamoring for another shot at TTYD for at least a decade at this point. Find me a single Direct thread where literally nobody asks for TTYD. You can’t.

Nintendo announce the TTYD remaster and everyone is “seriously? That’s it? WHO ASKED FOR THIS?!?!”

By the way, what the fuck is a Peachette? I get Toadette, but Peachette?

MagnesD3

Like clockwork.

People have been clamoring for another shot at TTYD for at least a decade at this point. Find me a single Direct thread where literally nobody asks for TTYD. You can’t.

Nintendo announce the TTYD remaster and everyone is “seriously? That’s it? WHO ASKED FOR THIS?!?!”
People definitely asked for this but I wasnt one of them, we have way way to many Remakes I dont wanna replay a game I already own otherwise Id boot up my GCN right now, I want new shit and im tired of seeing remakes to pad a consoles library. The only time im okay with remakes is if there a critical flaw that needs to be fixed like say Super Mario 64s camera or something like that, that game actually could use a remake.

Last edited:

Dorfdad

Gold Member
I’m not sure that a fall 2024 release is a smart move while it would still sell great because it’s Nintendo and it’s switch to they would be facing more competition from the new PlayStation pro and or price drops and adjustments plus a plethora of new games from both Sony and Microsoft, competing for those dollars especially if the switch two is going to cost more

If they’ve already got the system, I think a March 2024 would be the best release window however, in order to launch in March they would have to announce it at the end of this year and that would kill holiday sales as people would just wait till March instead of purchasing more switch, games and accessories

I’m not sure which route Nintendo will go down but if I was them I would do March 2024 so that means it’ll be fall 2024 :)

BlackTron

I’m not sure that a fall 2024 release is a smart move while it would still sell great because it’s Nintendo and it’s switch to they would be facing more competition from the new PlayStation pro and or price drops and adjustments plus a plethora of new games from both Sony and Microsoft, competing for those dollars especially if the switch two is going to cost more

If they’ve already got the system, I think a March 2024 would be the best release window however, in order to launch in March they would have to announce it at the end of this year and that would kill holiday sales as people would just wait till March instead of purchasing more switch, games and accessories

I’m not sure which route Nintendo will go down but if I was them I would do March 2024 so that means it’ll be fall 2024 :)

TY for seeing the things N is actually weighing here in order to make their decision. IMO some are misreading their personal hunger for a stronger Switch for N's hunger to deliver it faster. They get to have dev time AND harness the holiday AND not piss off people who buy Switch 1 this year if they release it in Q4. Best of all, they get to milk the user base of Switch 1 users for longer, their MAIN GOAL.

Switch sales are down about 20% but 80% of a lot is still a lot, and every sold Switch is still making the base bigger. It's not exactly a dead business like Wii U was. They will milk that train all the way to Christmas while readying mind blowing launch games. Can't see N willfully dumping an alive profitable platform that's printing easy money just to deny their next system a holiday launch

Gambit2483

They literally played their biggest hand this year with TOTK. I have no clue how the hell they think they could carry Switch through 2024 with Gamecube and 3DS ports.

We needed a Switch 2 this year and the idea we'll have to wait yet another full year (assuming it launches Fall 2024) is bonkers. I almost feel like Nintendo doesn't want to launch until hardware sales completely plummet.

BlackTron

They literally played their biggest hand this year with TOTK. I have no clue how the hell they think they could carry Switch through 2024 with Gamecube and 3DS ports.

We needed a Switch 2 this year and the idea we'll have to wait yet another full year (assuming it launches Fall 2024) is bonkers. I almost feel like Nintendo doesn't want to launch until hardware sales completely plummet.

We needed Switch 2 this year, but Nintendo didn't. Sadly.

Jsisto

But they’re still making bank on software that people are obviously buying. Seems like a reasonable strategy to me. I respect that they’re not just rushing to churn out the next gen asap. They’ve been doing this longer than any other console maker currently in the game. Pretty sure they know what they’re doing.

blacktout

Super Mario Wonder is going to be huge and a lot of kids won't get TOTK until Christmas, so there's plenty to carry the Switch through this holiday season. Also, it's pretty clear that the heavy Mario emphasis over the next few months is supposed to feed off the hype from the Mario movie, which is going to be on a bunch of Christmas wish lists as well. There's no chance that their holiday sales tank.

Now you may see Switch sales dip a fair amount next year, especially if they announce the successor early in the year and it doesn't release until holiday, but I doubt Nintendo is too concerned about a couple of iffy quarters when the Switch has been so profitable for them so far and they can just remind investors that the successor is on its way.

Gambit2483

But they’re still making bank on software that people are obviously buying. Seems like a reasonable strategy to me. I respect that they’re not just rushing to churn out the next gen asap. They’ve been doing this longer than any other console maker currently in the game. Pretty sure they know what they’re doing.
Yea and they also fumbled the Wii when it went from hot to not. I know, not the same situation..but at some point the bubble does burst, mindshare and momentum is lost when new compelling software releases dry up or become filled with filler/ports, resulting in stagnant hardware sales. What happens when all the new great releases are coming to PS5/XSX and not Switch? Consumers start looking elsewhere. It's happened before and can happen again.

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
I think this Direct confirmed that Switch 2 is coming before June 2024, I'd say April 2024. There's no way they can keep selling Switches with this software output.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Super Mario Wonder is going to be huge
Correct.

New Super Mario Bros U Deluxe has sold over 16.5m copies on the Switch. And in my opinion, that looked like a stale ass game.

This new one looks legit. I think it’ll sell 10m copies before Christmas.

For an end of life period, this is still remarkably strong. Wonder, Super Mario RPG and Detective Pikachu between October and November. I’m not sure any other company could do better than that.

Killer8

>new side-scrolling Contra game
>it's by Wayforward

>...it's in 3D

For fuck sake. When will this company learn that their strength is 2D and they can't do 3D for shit.

NanaMiku

Some interesting stuff from the Japanese one:

Fitness Boxing x Miku

Hop Step Dance, spinoff of Fitness Boxing that teaches you dance

Mysterious Dungeon 6

In the direct, they only give us the snippet, but 2 weeks ago, the spiritual successor of Goemon released a trailer

Dorfdad

Gold Member

I think a couple of things actually #1 all future titles will be cross generations for the switch 2. This allows them to milk the switch and grow the install base of sw2. The second is they can also and will charge 9.99 more for switch 2 tax I mean games lol.

They will also with the magic of Dlss charge a few to convert your existing games to switch 2. all the big games on switch will run on switch 2 with higher fidelity and frame rates for a small free per title.

I expect the first year to be major remaster / patches from some of their bigger titles that they will rely on for content. That will allow them to release 2-3 first part titles a year while back filling with remasters and third party titles.

Gambit2483

I think a couple of things actually #1 all future titles will be cross generations for the switch 2. This allows them to milk the switch and grow the install base of sw2. The second is they can also and will charge 9.99 more for switch 2 tax I mean games lol.

They will also with the magic of Dlss charge a few to convert your existing games to switch 2. all the big games on switch will run on switch 2 with higher fidelity and frame rates for a small free per title.

I expect the first year to be major remaster / patches from some of their bigger titles that they will rely on for content. That will allow them to release 2-3 first part titles a year while back filling with remasters and third party titles.
😂 Oh I'm sure they have multiple revenue streams they plan on pulling from for Switch 2.

My concern is with the damage to the brand that could be done in the time before Switch 2 launches. Circana (formerly NPD) has already reported sales are down double digits in August.

Hardware sales will continue to drop as the market is becoming more and more saturated and people aren't rushing out to buy a new Switch for Gamecube and 3DS ports, especially while Sony and MS continue getting actual new big games. I think Nintendo is taking a risk trying to carry Switch another full year with remasters and ports, especially when sales are already in decline.

Banjo64

cumsessed
especially while Sony and MS continue getting actual new big games.

Excuse Me What GIF by Bounce

Like what?

Gambit2483

Excuse Me What GIF by Bounce

Like what?
Stellar Blade
Rise of the Ronin
Wolverine (possibly)
FF7 Rebirth
Death Stranding 2
Star Wars Outlaws
Metal Gear Solid 3 Delta
Silent Hill 2 Remake
Persona 3 Reload
Tekken 8

Edit: Hell we might even get GTA6 based on Rockstars last shareholders meeting comment (they expect significant growth next fiscal year)

I'm sure there's more but that's just off the top of my head and mostly for PS5. I'm sure there's more coming to Xbox as well

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
Stellar Blade
Rise of the Ronin
Wolverine (possibly)
FF7 Rebirth
Death Stranding 2
Star Wars Outlaws
Metal Gear Solid 3 Delta
Silent Hill 2 Remake
Persona 3 Reload
Tekken 8

Edit: Hell we might even get GTA6 based on Rockstars last shareholders meeting comment (they expect significant growth next fiscal year)

I'm sure there's more but that's just off the top of my head and mostly for PS5. I'm sure there's more coming to Xbox as well
I’ve highlighted the ones that will sell well and appeal to normies.

I don’t think anyone’s finishing TotK and thinking ‘man, how am I going to play Steller Blade’

Gambit2483

I’ve highlighted the ones that will sell well and appeal to normies.

I don’t think anyone’s finishing TotK and thinking ‘man, how am I going to play Steller Blade’
My point is these systems will be getting new games next year that people do actually want to play while Switch is pumping out Gamecube and 3DS ports. The mindshare/momentum could easily Switch (no pun intended) if every month/other month PS5 and Xbox is getting a new AAA/AA game while Switch is pumping out 15 year old ports.

Banjo64

cumsessed
My point is these systems will be getting new games next year that people do actually want to play while Switch is pumping out Gamecube and 3DS ports. The mindshare/momentum could easily Switch (no pun intended) if every month/other month PS5 and Xbox is getting a new AAA/AA game while Switch is pumping out 15 year old ports.
Yeah true, Nintendo better have their next console good to go next year with some high quality games.

Astral Dog

We needed Switch 2 this year, but Nintendo didn't. Sadly.
They didn't really needed to release Switch 2 this year, let them squeeze every penny they can out of the current Switch , successor launch needs to be perfect.

Simply we are no longer in the 4 year console cycle
Lets calm down, those are completely outside Nintendo's control, all generation there have been games the Switch couldn't run

Remember next generation there is gonna be another big increase in visual complexity and resources to create games, if they don't show must play/system seller games ready for the first year ,that look a generation beyond what the Switch was capable of, they will be in trouble, Nintendo knows this , they want those exclusives ready, but good things take time hence the filler gap

If people really want a Switch 2, they won't mind waiting ,even if they play something else in the meantime they will come back

Plus this holiday they can get by with the hype of the Mario movie,Super Mario Wonder and Tears of the Kingdom alone

Switch had a great year

My point is these systems will be getting new games next year that people do actually want to play while Switch is pumping out Gamecube and 3DS ports.

Totally fair.

I am at least a little sensitive to there being some complaining if they announce the Switch 2 around CES. Especially since Switch 2 should be able to play all Switch 1 games (digitally anyway). But Feb should be fine for a June launch.

Last edited:

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
That's why Nintendo is releasing a new console in the first half of next year. These are filler titles just like they did with 3DS.

Top Bottom