• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Winter Sale is Live

MikeM

After my PS5 stopped working last week, I decided to replace most of the games I play on Steam Deck. I picked up both Spider-Man games, Horizon Zero Dawn,Rift Apart, and Sackboy. I need to pick up Detroit, but I see a decent sale on the Quantum Dream set. It amazes me how well these games work on the Steam Deck.
Are you getting 60fps on it?

I subbed to EA plus (or whatever it's called) to play the new Jedi game. I also installed the Dead Space remake.

Dead Space remake looked incredible but stuttered constantly. I uninstalled after about 10 mins.

Apparently its an unfixed regular issue on PC. Just a heads up.
I noticed some stutter but nothing to intrusive. A shame they didn't fixed it properly.

I see Far Cry games are on sale - I've never played these games. Is the first game a good place to start? That's kind of what I'm thinking.
Far Cry 1 and 2 are pretty different games. FC1 doesn't age as well as FC2 does. But FC2 is definitely interesting enough to warrant at least a cursory glance. FC3 is a good mix of modern shooter design and kind of the start of the Ubi open world formula they've come to be known for. FC3 is probably a great starting point, but honestly, just pick the one that has the most interesting setting to you, they aren't connected in any ways that matter or make a difference. They are all pretty self-contained.

Of the Far Cry games I've played 2, 3, Blood Dragon, Primal are all pretty fun if you don't have a buddy to play with. But if co-op is a possibility, FC 4 and FC 5 are really good times with friends. Very very fun.

Didn't spend much time with FC6, but it more or less felt like different flavors of the same FC4/5 formula. But really, the first 5 or so FC games offer some pretty wild rides and as long as you aren't the type that categorizes things into "best or worst"; the franchise has a lot of fun to be had.

If you are interested more in Sci-fi in general, pick up Blood Dragon, it's the best 80's nostalgia tribute you could get with the formula. Great time. Or pick up Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora, it's essentially sci-fi Far Cry with co-op.

Last edited:

Pantz

I drank enough to pull the trigger on a full cart.
xbEJJ3F.jpg

Codes 208

Bought MHR during this sale. Barely touched the switch version, but ive been putting a lot of time on the steam deck.

Same with halo wars 1, feels nostalgic getting back into this

manfestival

Just picked up Marvel Midnight Suns and Total Warhammer 3. Both I know are solid and was just waiting for a reason to play them as well as some extra freetime.

Korranator

Need help what's everyone's opinion on the following? If you could only buy 1 game which would you suggest?

Eiyuden Chronicle: Rising

Chained Echoes

Sea of Stars

Holammer

Grabbed a few games with good user scores from my wishlist. Tried Pronty in a Steam Next event, it's a promising metroidvania based on swimming like Song of the Deep & Aquaria. There's a good discount on Spyro Trilogy, you should get it! If you don't own or buy it, I won't be mad, just disappointed.
No no! No need to feel guilty! Even if this is why we can't have nice things.

Hero_Select

I would so bite for that price but I cannot stand that shitty EA bullshit attached.

Is it one time check in or is it always online? I wouldn't mind it on the Deck, that I normally keep offline when travelling.
it's not "always online" cus the game doesnt have any online component to it, but yes you do have to deal with the launcher first to play the game but after that you dont have to worry about it.

simpatico

ss_c2c97a8c4705a3315d07df7b3795fd7cc45a3c8c.600x338.jpg

ss_87a654d19e09244bb1432460f2eac81baa0ff130.600x338.jpg

ss_814d9f57b9ba81ce1c715f21b498424897266130.600x338.jpg

ss_fc381df35ba9866853cb4622d080e2ca13aee99a.600x338.jpg

The MetroidVania SoulsBorne genre is very hot lately. The Last Faith is pretty amazing. Once you get to leveling your weapons (of which there are many), you realize this game has multiple viable builds. Probably the best attempt at a 2D Souls game with a bigger dose of IgaVania than most of it's contemporaries. Seems like it would be great on a Steam Deck too.

I'd like to recommend two underrated titles from Gust / Koei Tecmo:

They're magical girl with light yuri undertones JRPGs set in a comfy high-school setting that has borrowed elements from Persona series. The first one is a bit rough around the edges, but it makes it up with its amazing soundtrack, great atmosphere, pretty art style, but also interesting characters and relationships. I also wanted to add that the first game has some fan service-y stuff (probably gust didn't have confidence to stand on its own so they had to rely on fan service as a selling point) so if you're not okay with this you can skip to the next game.

Now the second game, is a much better one with lots of QoL improvements in comparison to the first one and it's probably one of the best Gust games has released in years. They also dropped most of the fan service-y stuff. The music, atmosphere, beautiful environments and expansive characters are standout as well in this second entry in the series.

Couple really good ones below 5 this time. Man I love games that support all os, have full controller support and are less than 5GB to download. Keep it simple and flexible.

SJRB

Gold Member
Allow me to give but two recommendations:

An amazing survival horror game with huge nods to Silent Hill and classic Resident Evil, but with an immaculate own style to it. A very bleak, depressing but remarkably beautiful game with great atmosphere, awesome puzzles and great music set in a sci-fi offworld facility.

Play it to commemorate the very recently departed James McCaffrey. The story is great, the gameplay is cool as shit, the music is truly epic and it is overall a remarkable experience because of its extremely mature themes of loss, grief, alcoholism, drug use and coming to terms with oneself. A brutal noir-with-a-twist story that will definitely fuck you up. All-time classic.

Last edited:

Jesb

Anyone have issues with max Payne 3? I just get a black screen after going through the stupid rockstar social club prompts when it asks you to log in.

Finally got it to work but it doesn’t work within steam. In window mode only.

Finally was able to get the screen to go in a normal mode and enable full screen in the menu. But the game doesn’t work within steam.

Last edited:
Here's one with Diablo 1-2 style artwork and a pinch more control than regular survivor clones. It's pretty good with a 96% user score.

Brotato.

Better than VS in my opinion.

Halls of Torment had already been suggested but I highly recommend this one as well. I like this one because upgrades come in the form of loot which I prefer over the standard upgrades you put points in to.
Thanks for the reccs. I think I'll go with Death Must Die. The loot drops sounds like it will be decent for replayability.

T-Cake

I feel like I spent a lot this year on Steam. Due to Steam Deck :messenger_grinning_sweat: Some steam sales, some new releases, some humble bundle deals...

Me too. Just looking through my email Inbox there's tens of Steam emails for purchases which I'd already forgotten about! Biggest year ever for Steam spending resulting in PS5 gathering dust.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
Building my first pc in a long tune tonight as all my parts showed but I forgot about windows. Where is a good place to get a key?

sedg87

Banned
I bought Halls of Torment the other night. Sunk 3-4 hours into it and it's great. Bit burnt out of Vampire Survivors and I thought that might hamper my enjoyment of this one, but it hasn't.

Also purchased Symphony of War: The Nephalim Saga. Excited to start that later.

StereoVsn

Looks amazing. It reviewed well and I certainly am excited to check it out when I get the time. It's one of the most cited immersive sims pre Deus-Ex that I can think of for the genre.
System Shock remake is excellent. I loved it. Well, I am familiar with the OG game, but still it’s a must if you like immersive sims.

Top Bottom