• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order PS5 vs Xbox Series X|S Frame Rate Comparison (Next-Gen Update), VGTech

My argument was (for some time now) that PS5 isn't punching above its weight but performing as it should/according to its spec base. Now, after seeing the recent trend/examples mentioned i am begining to think that PS5 isn't performing as well as in the beginning of the generation (like Assassin's Creed or Dirt for example with higher overall rosolution and performance) or even 'underperfoming' (again in those tiles specifically) and wondering about the reasons. To be clear Star Wars Jedi order falls within my expectations there is no mystery there.

PS5 surely punch above its weight. Real test was between the two when first games with RT shows up. Because XSXs GPU has higher CU numbers and higher bandwidth which are so important for good RT in games. And what happened in end? We saw how PS5 is on par ( not couting that photomode test in Control ) or better in some cases compared to XSX. XSX is pushing higher res in some games, but pales in other segments, especially with RT in games where XSX should be in noticeable advantage besides resolution, but it is not. If you reply to this post, i'm expecting DonJuanSchlong DonJuanSchlong to like your post. He really likes you. :D

Last edited:
It does pattern matching per frame based on image analysis stored in its database, it knows faces, depth of field, etc. and applies varying levels of upscaling within each frame.
Yes, I said it's adaptive. It's an adaptive sharpening filter. And it definitely doesn't resolve more detail than is being rendered by the graphics card. That's not how sharpening filters work. They can only sharpen what's already there.

PS5 surely punch above its weight. Real test was between the two when first games with RT shows up. Because XSXs GPU has higher CU numbers and higher bandwidth which are so important for good RT in games. And what happened in end? We saw how PS5 is on par ( not couting that photomode test in Control ) or better in some cases compared to XSX. XSX is pushing higher res in some games, but pales in other segments, especially with RT in games where XSX should be in noticeable advantage, but it is not. If you reply to this post, i'm expecting DonJuanSchlong DonJuanSchlong to like your post. He really likes you. :D
When losing an argument, best way to try and get an upper hand is to mention something so unrelated to the content of the topic at hand. You mentioned me liking 2 of his posts. Holy shit, call the emoji police!

You guys are so insufferable. You can't win every race you know, sometimes you just gotta learn when not to be a sore loser

You guys are so insufferable. You can't win every race you know, sometimes you just gotta learn when not to be a sore loser

Looks who's talking about being unsufferable. Tools already matured for XSX. You, Xbox fans, used that before, now you can't. So, what is another problem (excuse) for XSX?
But i have lost an argument when weaker console is on par or better than a stronger one. ;/

Edit : i was joking calling you for liking posts, but if that is serious for you, sorry then

Last edited:

Shmunter

Yes, I said it's adaptive. It's an adaptive sharpening filter. And it definitely doesn't resolve more detail than is being rendered by the graphics card. That's not how sharpening filters work. They can only sharpen what's already there.
But like anything you say, it’s all just driven by child like wonder 🤩

Last edited:

Zathalus

PS5 surely punch above its weight. Real test was between the two when first games with RT shows up. Because XSXs GPU has higher CU numbers and higher bandwidth which are so important for good RT in games. And what happened in end? We saw how PS5 is on par ( not couting that photomode test in Control ) or better in some cases compared to XSX. XSX is pushing higher res in some games, but pales in other segments, especially with RT in games where XSX should be in noticeable advantage besides resolution, but it is not. If you reply to this post, i'm expecting DonJuanSchlong DonJuanSchlong to like your post. He really likes you. :D
Curious, which RT games is the PS5 better or on par with the XSX when it comes to RT? The only one I can think of is Watch Dogs: Legion.

Looks who's talking about being unsufferable. Tools already matured for XSX. You, Xbox fans, used that before, now you can't. So, what is another problem (excuse) for XSX?
You weirdos gotta stop labeling me as a fan of either consoles, as I don't own last gen or current consoles.

But i have lost an argument when weaker console is on par or better than a stronger one. ;/
No, you lost the argument before it even started by being completely wrong about me. I'm a PC guy first and foremost. I could give 1/8th of a fuck about console wars, I just find them entertaining, especially seeing poor arguments, whataboutism's, and hilarious meltdowns. It's what makes GAF, GAF.

And no I'm not upset, I just find it funny. Several people on this site keep wrongly labeling me. Imma ask for my tag to be changed to "He/Him/PC"

Last edited:
I'm not sure if this will get me banned, but I had fun yesterday trolling people. I don't really care about these differences (which I don't think was that big). I just wanted to rattle some cages for the entertainment.

Actually you do believe the differences were massive. It's to late to go around saying that you were joking just to save face.

Will Ferrell Reaction GIF

But please Mod of War Mod of War don't give him the axe.

Chill Out Fragrance GIF by AXE South Africa

Last edited:
Actually you do believe the differences were massive. It's to late to go around saying that you were joking just to save face.
I didn't know you had a lie detector that works across the internet. I believe you are just mad because I rattled your cage and got played lol. I did the same thing with the metro game.

You weirdos gotta stop labeling me as a fan of either consoles, as I don't own last gen or current consoles.

No, you lost the argument before it even started by being completely wrong about me. I'm a PC guy first and foremost. I could give 1/8th of a fuck about console wars, I just find them entertaining, especially seeing poor arguments, whataboutis's, and hilarious meltdowns. It's what makes GAF, GAF.

Poor arguments when i didn't say anything wrong about PS5 compared to XSX. Cheers. Nothing else to discuss further.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I was being nice to Xbox Series X but in just the 362 seconds it showed drops in frametime 83.33ms, 66.67ms, 50ms that didn't happen on PS5.
Funny how you don't mention PS5 trying to make it look perfect.

Another way of comparing frame rates is simply to go by the excel stats, which showed out of 27000 frames analyzed on both systems, PS5 had 16 out of sync frames and Series X had 29.

So out of 27000 frames recorded, Series X had 13 more frames which werent 60 fps.

Bravo for the frames per second win.

Last edited:

Another way of comparing frame rates is simply to go by the excel stats, which showed out of 27000 frames analyzed on both systems, PS5 had 16 out of sync frames and Series X had 29.

So out of 27000 frames recorded, Series X had 13 more frames which werent 60 fps.

Bravo for the win.
Or you look at mean frame rates, and realize that the difference is literally 0.1%. Massive win for PS5, of course :messenger_beaming:

I didn't know you had a lie detector that works across the internet. I believe you are just mad because I rattled your cage and got played lol. I did the same thing with the metro game.

Actually I found it enjoyable.

:messenger_tears_of_joy:

And looks like I played you as well.

All in good fun.

Anyways forgive and forget.

Edit: The perm wasn't my intention though.

:messenger_fearful:

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Of course it is, because XSX with 1.9 TF more, 52 CUs, higher bandwidth and "much faster" CPU can't beat the shit out of PS5.
And PS5 with an SSD that is more than double as fast (or 4x as fast with that 22gb/s mode) cant beat Series S or X either. Going by the tests all the way back to the November launch, the Xbox systems have won probably half the loading speed tests and the ones where PS5 won were barely faster.

You're one of the guys who brings up being chained up to last gen systems stunting next gen performance, so cant have it both ways when it comes to game performance or SSD speeds.

Also, when it comes to all these game comparison threads you never seem to bring up resolution.

Last edited:

Lysandros

Let's just agree to disagree on punching 'above its weight' argument then (i am against this logic since it assumes that PS5 should perform worse because it is 'significantly weaker in absolute terms' based solely on a very superficial spec analysis like CU number and partial RAM bandwidth), it's pretty well known that RT performance also scales with clock frequency since this leads to CUs/Intersection engines running faster. I also don't think that XSX has clear cut 25% advantage in RAM bandwidth as if it's a magical solution (equal to a 'unified 560 GB/s setup) overcoming/ignoring its split nature sharing the same adress space with the slower 336 GB/s part. RE Village performance was only ~2.5% better on on XSX with RT enabled compared to PS5 at same resolution.

Last edited:
Let's just agree to disagree on punching 'above its weight' argument then (i am against this logic since it assumes that PS5 should perform worse because it is 'significantly weaker in absolute terms' based solely on a very supercial spec analysis like CU number and partial RAM bandwidth), it's pretty well known that RT performance also scales with clock frequency since this leads to CUs/Intersection engines running faster. I also don't think that XSX has clear cut 25% advantage in RAM bandwidth as if it's a magical solution (equal to a 'unified 560 GB/s setup) overcoming/ignoring its split nature sharing the same adress space with the slower 336 GB/s part. RE Village performance was only ~2.5% better on on XSX with RT enabled compared to PS5 at same resolution.
Agreed here. I look at it as if they were two separate GPU's that I could put in my PC. Would I go narrow or wide? Higher frequency with less CU's, or lower frequency with more CU's? Personally, I'd go with the wider GPU, as it seems to be more future proof, but maybe not by as much as people thought.

Nonetheless, it would be interesting if developers uncap the 60fps limit, and run both consoles at exact same settings, resolution, etc. That way it would be unanimously concluded the winner.

P.S. F FatKingBallman I liked his post a 3rd time. He makes value points.

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
It's hard to sell to someone who has never tried it. Personally I think the "rumble" part sounds great, but the triggers fighting back at me sounds like something I'd disable as soon as possible, no matter if it's on Xbox or PS. I'm also curious to see if it impacts controller durability, but that remains to be seen I suppose.

Also, I doubt it's the controller that makes the difference in the end. I think it's more a question of price and where does my friends play this game (if multiplayer). If we're talking stricly single player games and it's 15$ cheaper on the competing platform, would you really pay 15$ for haptics?
I was impressed at first but it quickly becomes gimmicky. When I first used the bow in Astro I was like yes this cool but after a while it became a little irritating everytime you take a shot. The controller feels heavy as well, not comfortable for long play sessions, when you get the Xbox controller back in your hands after the Dualsence it feels great and really nimble.
I am looking forward to the Dualsence on GT7 though as I really like the vibration in the triggers in the Xbox on Forza 7 so it will be interesting what can be done with the Dualsence.

MonarchJT

Banned
Are you trying to convince yourself or those around you? The console performance is as is. An external device is just that - external, it is not the console.

External peripherals can certainly enhance and compliment one’s experience, bigger screen, better colours, 7.1 system, high end headphones, vsync, gsync, gaming chair, etc etc etc. None of these are better system ‘performance’.

You measure the actual, not a theoretical.

So no, PS5 performance is better as per the metrics presented. An XsX coupled with a VRR display can optionally aid an individual’s experience on XsX, it does not increase XsX performance.
the HDMI output of the series console support vrr (that the PS5 still does not support after almost 2 years of promises) I only know that until around 10 of fps drop with the vrr there are no problems. obviously the same would not apply to the PS5. So yes the perfomance f the xsx are objectively better as well as having a higher res and better iq. But then what performance are we talking about? the usual 0.something%?

Last edited:

Banned

so if you ignore Control, and Metro, the Xbox has no advantage in RT.

let's just ignore the 2 most demanding RT using games... great argument!
how handy to just ignore 2 games where the SX can show an advantage of up to 20%, sometimes even higher

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
And PS5 with an SSD that is more than double as fast (or 4x as fast with that 22gb/s mode) cant beat Series S or X either. Going by the tests all the way back to the November launch, the Xbox systems have won probably half the loading speed tests and the ones where PS5 won were barely faster.

You're one of the guys who brings up being chained up to last gen systems stunting next gen performance, so cant have it both ways when it comes to game performance or SSD speeds.

Also, when it comes to all these game comparison threads you never seem to bring up resolution.

Bravo for the frames per second win.
And you don't consider yourself a fanboy. lol

You don't know how often the resolution drops between both consoles. VG Tech only pointed out the lowest numbers but said the target resolution is common.

NX Gamer made a video about this the other day and it shows XSX version with bigger frame-drips than the PS5 version.

You're ignoring the frame-rate side for obvious reasons. PS5 has an advantage with the frame-rate and XSX has an advantage with resolution because it doesn't dip as low as the PS5 version.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
And you don't consider yourself a fanboy. lol

You don't know how often the resolution drops between both consoles. VG Tech only pointed out the lowest numbers but said the target resolution is common.

NX Gamer made a video about this the other day and it shows XSX version with bigger frame-drips than the PS5 version.

You're ignoring the frame-rate side for obvious reasons. PS5 has an advantage with the frame-rate and XSX has an advantage with resolution because it doesn't dip as low as the PS5 version.
I never avoided the frame rate win for PS5.

I said many times in this thread the stats chart VG Tech posted shows Series X with 29 frames out of sync out of 27000 tested, and PS5 was 16 frames not 60 fps.

PS5 won by 13 frames out of 27000.

Last edited:

Banned
Control runs better on the PS5.
Unless you're talking about the photo mode?

the topic was RayTracing. and to test RT performance in Control you sadly have to use photo mode as they decided to not give th option to unlock the framerate during gameplay (which they should, at least on Xbox).
the performance on hand is still very much representative of how it would perform during gameplay.

on SX it performs well enough to where you could easily play it on a VRR TV and have a mostly smooth experience. if you'd set the system to 120hz output it would be even smoother

the PS5 version on the other hand is too low for that to be an option. on average 6 to 10 fps lower, in extreme cases more than that

Last edited:

sircaw

Banned
I'm not sure if this will get me banned, but I had fun yesterday trolling people. I don't really care about these differences (which I don't think was that big). I just wanted to rattle some cages for the entertainment.
You got found out, and I seriously doubt you were trolling, You actually believed that shit you were spouting and people put you in your place.

Good to see the mods act,

Topher

Gold Member
If these were PCs, people would say they perform the same. But because they are consoles, each frame and each pixel are a battle for the future.

In fact, the differences we are seeing here in pixels and frame rates are the equivalent of nudging the resolution scale slider in either direction on PC. Want more frames, move it a notch to the left. Want more pixels, a nudge to the right. The difference is miniscule.

If I were only given two options on my PC, one equalling PS5 and the other equalling XSX, then my choice would clearly be.......

i-dont-give-83uylv.jpg

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
I never avoided the frame rate win for PS5.

I said many times in this thread the stats chart VG Tech posted shows Series X with 29 frames out of sync out of 27000 tested, and PS5 was 16 frames not 60 fps.

PS5 won by 13 frames out of 27000.
You did. You tried to excuse it before by saying no one would notice a frame drops without these videos and that was a complete lie.

Frame-rate drops into the low 50s are easier to recognize than small resolution drops.

What's even more ridiculous is that you're including BC games in those SSD comparisons. lol.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
You did. You tried to excuse it before by saying no one would notice a frame drops without these videos and that was a complete lie.

Frame-rate drops into the low 50s are easier to recognize than small resolution drops.

What's even more ridiculous is that you're including BC games in those SSD comparisons. lol.
Nobody would notice a difference between the two without these videos and stat sheets because nobody is going to put two TVs beside each other and play the same game at the same time trying to notice millisecond differences with two human hands and eyes.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Nobody would notice a difference between the two without these videos and stat sheets because nobody is going to put two TVs beside each other and play the same game at the same time trying to notice millisecond differences with two human hands and eyes.
Frame-drops are easy to recognize. lol

We're talking about drops in to the 50s. It doesn't look good when you're trying to lie, dude. lol

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Frame-drops are easy to recognize. lol

We're talking about drops in to the 50s. It doesn't look good when you're trying to lie, dude. lol
As if a gamer is going to play the same game on two TVs at the same time on two different systems and be able to track one game has 16 frames not at 60 fps and the other is 29 frames not at 60 fps out of 27000 frames played.

Why are you complaining? Be happy. I even supported VG's stat sheet saying PS5 won the frame rate war with only 16 frames out of sync vs. Series X's 29 frames out of their 27000 frame test. You won by 13.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
As if a gamer is going to play the same game on two TVs at the same time on two different systems and be able to track one game has 16 frames not at 60 fps and the other is 29 frames not at 60 fps out of 27000 frames played.

Why are you complaining? Be happy. I even supported VG's stat sheet saying PS5 won the frame rate war with only 16 frames out of sync vs. Series X's 29 frames out of their 27000 frame test. You won by 13.
It's not about "winning", it's about you being dishonest and cherry picking. lol.

You keep mentioning the stats and ignoring the frame-rate dips that I brought up that are into the low 50s. You don't need VG Tech or DF to know when those frame dips occur. Gamers can see slow downs that low because the frame-rate is not consistent. They're even easier to recognize in cutscenes.

You literally tried to tell people that it was winning loading speed comparisons without mentioning those were only BC titles. We've known BC titles load faster on XSX, but you didn't mentioned that in your post and tried to make it appear like they were just PS5 and XSX games.

You can't lie or be dishonest. That's why people are calling you out.

Which games are you talking about?

assurdum

Banned
In any case the PS5 have better performance of you have VRR .this above the fact that the xs have better iq and higher res. Your downplay is plain stupid
It's hard to downplay something I can't see. But sure now math percentage counts more friends not the fact FPS is more perceivable than lower dynamic resolution. Your exaltation about such things is what is really stupid and childish. The level of dishonesty of some of you is unbelievable. And just to kiss the ass to their favourite toy. Most of developers should be a bunch of idiot to repeat performance is more important than native IQ I guess. Even Spencer said the same, the irony.

Last edited:

OsirisBlack

Banned

I'm sure you're joking but I'll bite. Any game that has been optimized for the PS5 SSD loads in a second or less. Dying in Demons Souls, Ratchet and Clank, Miles Morales, FF7 Intergrade, Spider Man Remastered ..... I know you're not using poorly optimized multiplatform games as a basis for anything right?

To the other people the consoles are really too close to call it stop bitching and enjoy the generation it should be good for everyone.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
You keep mentioning the stats and ignoring the frame-rate dips that I brought up that are into the low 50s. You don't need VG Tech or DF to know when those frame dips occur. Gamers can see slow downs that low because the frame-rate is not consistent. They're even easier to recognize in cutscenes.
How am I ignoring frame rate dips when I've said many times the VG stat sheet shows PS5 and Series X with out of sync frames? 16 for PS5 and 29 for Series X in their 27000 frame test.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I'm sure you're joking but I'll bite. Any game that has been optimized for the PS5 SSD loads in a second or less. Dying in Demons Souls, Ratchet and Clank, Miles Morales, FF7 Intergrade, Spider Man Remastered ..... I know you're not using poorly optimized multiplatform games as a basis for anything right?

To the other people the consoles are really too close to call it stop bitching and enjoy the generation it should be good for everyone.
Thats the point I was making above.

You cant cherry pick "PS5 isnt taking advantage of SSD due to old games", while then discounting res or frames quality for an old game too.

Thats the point I was making above.

You cant cherry pick "PS5 isnt taking advantage of SSD due to old games", while then discounting res or frames quality for an old game too.

So why would new games be automatically worse on the PS5?

It's not like the game isn't a native version on both platforms. If it was BC it would give us different results which it did before it got updated.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
How am I ignoring frame rate dips when I've said many times the VG stat sheet shows PS5 and Series X with out of sync frames? 16 for PS5 and 29 for Series X in their 27000 frame test.
How many times have I mention NX Gamer's stats and you keep bringing up VG stat sheet?

Top Bottom