• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order PS5 vs Xbox Series X|S Frame Rate Comparison (Next-Gen Update), VGTech

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
"xbox fans", no people with working brains that aren't lubing up their plastic boxes each night to sexually molest the poor things
intellectually dishonest bullshit, like expected by a fanboy (we know what fanboy really means)

first off, Metro has on average about 10%-20% higher resolution in similar scenes on XSX compared to PS5
second of all, yes Control in photo mode is a valid benchmark. the framerate is unlocked and shows how fast the game COULD run if the developers simply gave us the option to unlock the framerate... which they don't, and I think people should always criticize developers for that. Options are always better. (especially since the SX version would be highly playable unlocked in that mode, especially with VRR, it hangs above 48fps in most scnearios after all)
and if you compare exactly the same scenes on SX and on PS5, the XS runs the game at up to 20% faster, on average I think it was 17% or something.

In the video, we discuss some of the ramifications when looking over the results, but there are some enticing possibilities - CPU tests on the PC version do seem to suggest that locking to 60fps may not be a problem for the Zen 2 clusters within the new consoles and that the limit we're seeing in our tests is GPU-based. So with that in mind, could there be an option to lower resolution, and improve frame-rate while retaining RT effects?

Photo mode is not a 1 for 1 benchmark to see how a game can actually run if unlocked. Its stated that its mainly a GPU benchmark test.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
No true.

You were too busy boasting without realizing what you were actually saying.

You told others to have fun figuring out the frame-drops. I then told you that NX Gamer showed large frame-drops that are noticeable. You tried to excuse it by saying no one will notice it unless these sites pointed it out.

Don't say, "these sites" and then complain when others point out different sites (or YT videos) other than VG Tech. Your own words are your own fault. You better off admitting that you did mention other sites.
Great! Thanks for finding my posts and even bolding it.

As I said many times (which you cant understand), nobody would notice the differences between PS5 at 16 and Series X at 29 out of sync frames unless VG told them in a spreadsheet.

Nobody is going to sit there playing two games on two systems at the same time trying to eyeball like an eagle which 13 frames out of 27000 recorded each are the better frames on PS5.

Also, as I said you keep bringing up NX Gamer when this is a VG Tech thread. There's a dedicated NX Gamer thread already. So if you want to promote NX Gamer is a better video do that there.

Not sure why you keep complaining. Isnt 13 better frames out of 27000 a win?

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
5e32mt.jpg

Last edited:

Rea

Feel free to explain why GPU and CPU loads would be different on the PS5 compared to a PC. There's no reason the loads should be different.
I already told you, PC and consoles have different CPU overhead, PC usually has more CPU overheads due to different OS and API. Consoles have ligh OS footprint.
Example of CPU overhead,
on PC data transfer ( Hdd/SSD -->system Ram-->GPU memory) everytime the data needs to move, cause CPU overhead.

On consoles, data only needs to move one time ( Storage-->unified memory), less CPU overhead. Even better, current gen consoles has dedicated I/O hardware to totally free CPU overhead.

first off, Metro has on average about 10%-20% higher resolution in similar scenes on XSX compared to PS5
second of all, yes Control in photo mode is a valid benchmark. the framerate is unlocked and shows how fast the game COULD run if the developers simply gave us the option to unlock the framerate... which they don't, and I think people should always criticize developers for that. Options are always better. (especially since the SX version would be highly playable unlocked in that mode, especially with VRR, it hangs above 48fps in most scnearios after all)
and if you compare exactly the same scenes on SX and on PS5, the XS runs the game at up to 20% faster, on average I think it was 17% or something.

First off, Metro on XSX has worse framerate and it is a stuttering mess. So, it doesn't perform better during gameplay.

Control in photomode only includes RT benchmark specifically, no enemies, no destroyed objects, no alpha effects, nothing like it is happening during gameplay. You don't play photomode. So, Control runs worse on XSX with RT during gameplay compared to PS5. No need to spin it, Xbox fan. Go check comparison threads again

Last edited:
Xbox Series X in Performance Mode uses a dynamic resolution with the highest native resolution found being 2560x1440 and the lowest resolution found being approximately 2112x1188. Xbox Series X in Performance Mode uses temporal upsampling to reconstruct a 2560x1440 resolution when rendering natively below this resolution. PS5 in Performance Mode uses a dynamic resolution with the highest native resolution found being 2560x1440 and the lowest resolution found being approximately 2026x1140. PS5 in Performance Mode uses temporal upsampling to reconstruct a 2560x1440 resolution when rendering natively below this resolution. Native resolution pixel counts at 2560x1440 seem to be common on PS5 and Xbox Series X in Performance Mode. PS5 in Resolution Mode uses a dynamic resolution with the highest native resolution found being 3840x2160 and the lowest resolution found being approximately 3072x1728. PS5 in Resolution Mode uses temporal upsampling to reconstruct a 3840x2160 resolution when rendering natively below this resolution. Xbox Series X in Resolution Mode uses a dynamic resolution with the highest native resolution found being 3840x2160 and the lowest resolution found being approximately 3200x1800. Xbox Series X in Resolution Mode uses temporal upsampling to reconstruct a 3840x2160 resolution when rendering natively below this resolution. Native resolution pixel counts at 3840x2160 seem to be common on PS5 and Xbox Series X in Resolution Mode. Xbox Series S uses a dynamic resolution with the highest native resolution found being 1920x1080 and the lowest resolution found being 1280x720. Xbox Series S uses temporal upsampling to reconstruct a 1920x1080 resolution when rendering natively below this resolution. All three consoles render the UI at 3840x2160.
Xbox Series X (true k machine)
Performance Mode
: max 2560x1440 min 2112x1188
Resolution Mode: max 3840x2160 min 3200x1800

PS5 (faux K machine)
Performance Mode
: max 2560x1440 min 2026x1140
Resolution Mode: max 3840x2160 min 3072x1728

Xbox Series S (next-gen 720p machine)
Max native resolution is 1920x1080 min 1280x720

All three consoles
Use temporal upsampling to reconstruct to the top resolution when rendering below the mode's target resolution.
Render the UI at 3840x2160 at all times.

Conclusion (with the performance stats data):
Xbox Series X has a slight resolution advantage
PS5 has a slightly more stable frame rate
Series S has a very low resolution and slightly more frame rate drops.

First off, Metro on XSX has worse framerate and it is a stuttering mess. So, it doesn't perform better during gameplay.

Control in photomode only includes RT benchmark specifically, no enemies, no destroyed objects, no alpha effects, nothing like it is happening during gameplay. You don't play photomode. So, Control runs worse on XSX with RT during gameplay compared to PS5. No need to spin it, Xbox fan. Go check comparison threads again
They are like the Tazmanian devil of console gamers:
Looney Tunes Art GIF by Looney Tunes World of Mayhem

Spin, spin, spin....

I would actually not have been a problem that the consoles perform about the same in most cases if some people did not try to claim "wins"—at all cost—where there is actual parity (at best).

I decided to give this game another try(thought it was pretty shit on first attempt when it came out) on the next-gen consoles(ps5) and holy shit at the buggy mess this is. Started out with info display borders randomly appearing with no message, my lightsaber had a square texture around it, my guy would spaz out when I'd scan something, and random pieces of the environment would be lit in red for no reason. That and the general janky movement. Just yuck

I decided to give this game another try(thought it was pretty shit on first attempt when it came out) on the next-gen consoles(ps5) and holy shit at the buggy mess this is. Started out with info display borders randomly appearing with no message, my lightsaber had a square texture around it, my guy would spaz out when I'd scan something, and random pieces of the environment would be lit in red for no reason. That and the general janky movement. Just yuck

I definitely like it more than you did, but that Character Jank was less than ideal.

SLB1904

Banned
yep terrible game. bought on sale and regret so much. pure garbage

edit: great cinematics tho, i guess that's where the high score on Metacritic comes from

Last edited:

RGB'D

They are like the Tazmanian devil of console gamers:
Looney Tunes Art GIF by Looney Tunes World of Mayhem

Spin, spin, spin....

I would actually not have been a problem that the consoles perform about the same in most cases if some people did not try to claim "wins"—at all cost—where there is actual parity (at best).
Lol plenty of spin from both camps and claim for wins. It's pretty obvious this far into generation that x pushes slightly better resolution and Sony has a slight frame rate advantage. Neither of which really means much of anything... but every damn thread they come out parroting that PS5 wins or that actually series x wins.

Top Bottom