• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order PS5 vs Xbox Series X|S Frame Rate Comparison (Next-Gen Update), VGTech

I still find it hilarious that a feature like VRR which is restricted to a small amount of sets and broken on some of those sets too (use it on LG C9/CX/C1 at your own risk… yeah, on the latter they will give people a way to tweak settings to minimise issues… yet more calibration fun per title) erases frame rate differences between consoles as if it did more than cover stuttering and removing testing… by the way people talk about it then VRR would have to be able to interpolate full frames.

Still, better to have VRR in games that do not have a locked framerate, just hope devs do not rely on it as a crutch to optimise framerate less and less.
I have a B9 and haven't noticed anything's broken yet. I know there are some technical issues but when they're not perceivable during normal gameplay, they don't really matter that much. VRR is a great feature and even Sony first party games would profit a lot from it (see frame drops in Returnal, Ratchet...).
It is still hilarious how we went from total domination (12 > 10, fixed clocks vs variable making it an even bigger gap, etc…), but sure they are quite close and there are some wins for XSX in this game for sure (it does score some losses too, VRR is not the silver bullet people sell it as).
The variable clock talking point is still not over imo. There's no reason to downclock the GPU when the CPU is half asleep running cross-gen games built for Jaguar :messenger_beaming: We'll see what happens once we start getting games that kill the GPU and CPU simultaneously. Avengers is one such game and it really didn't look great on PS5.
When games are this close, controller integration does come into play. As much as some may agree or disagree, if two game versions are quite close and one version has a great DualSense implementation than that is the one to go for IMHO… but it is a personal choice based on control methods (proper haptics are important to the game experience, some hardcore Xbox fans will only accept it when their controller will have the same features too then it will be a sudden epiphany).
If/when it comes to Xbox, there's a 90% chance I'll turn it off. We'll see.

Riky

$MSFT

Interesting theory. Can you point to any MS first party titles that exhibit the issues you are talking about? Did Gears Hivebusters have any hiccups? They showed footage of Flight Simulator on XSX. Did you notice stuttering? If there is a hardware defect with the Series consoles surely it would be apparent across all titles.

It's the stupidest theory going, firstly the game would need to exceed 10gb of VRAM which it almost certainly doesn't in a cutscene and then the memory used would still be faster than the memory in an Xbox One X another 4k console.

Rea

We'll see what happens once we start getting games that kill the GPU and CPU simultaneously. Avengers is one such game and it really didn't look great on PS5.
You're gonna have to wait until the sky is falling. There is no such game which kills both CPU and GPU simultaneously, unless you're running benchmark app which specifically designed to stress the hardware.
Where is your proof that Avenger is stressing both CPU and GPU of the console? You can't access GPU profile on console unless you have a dev kit.

You're gonna have to wait until the sky is falling. There is no such game which kills both CPU and GPU simultaneously, unless you're running benchmark app which specifically designed to stress the hardware.
I don't mean literally 100% stress on both all the time, but close enough (just like last gen). Right now with most games the CPU is basically in sleep mode.
Where is your proof that Avenger is stressing both CPU and GPU of the console? You can't access GPU profile on console unless you have a dev kit.
PC version is very stressful on the CPU at times. Digital Foundry also mentioned it stresses both CPU and GPU.

Rea

I don't mean literally 100% stress on both all the time, but close enough (just like last gen). Right now with most games the CPU is basically in sleep mode.
You're only assuming. You have no idea what game is stressing CPU or GPU. There may be some games already stressing CPU in both hardware.

Doesn't really matter for both, the difference will be minimal, just like currently.

PC version is very stressful on the CPU at times. Digital Foundry also mentioned it stresses both CPU and GPU.
I don't want to know about PC. I said "on Console". Games performed differently on consoles especially for Playstation consoles. Different OS, different API.

You're only assuming. You have no idea what game is stressing CPU or GPU. There may be some games already stressing CPU in both hardware.

Doesn't really matter for both, the difference will be minimal, just like currently.

I don't want to know about PC. I said "on Console". Games performed differently on consoles especially for Playstation consoles. Different OS, different API.
Nope. GPU and CPU load won't be much different between consoles and PCs. There's no reason to believe that. Consoles are glorified PCs after all (yes, the PS5 too).

Rea

Nope. GPU and CPU load won't be much different between consoles and PCs. There's no reason to believe that. Consoles are glorified PCs after all (yes, the PS5 too).
Loop Trump GIF

Wrong. PC and consoles are not the same, even Microsoft said that.
Playstation consoles are far from being the same as PC, PS shares the same x86 architecture programming environment with PC to be more developers friendly. PS has its own OS, API. PS GPUs are heavily modified since PS4. PS5 GPU is called customed RDNA2. Not the same as PC cards.

TBiddy

When games are this close, controller integration does come into play. As much as some may agree or disagree, if two game versions are quite close and one version has a great DualSense implementation than that is the one to go for IMHO… but it is a personal choice based on control methods (proper haptics are important to the game experience, some hardcore Xbox fans will only accept it when their controller will have the same features too then it will be a sudden epiphany).

It's hard to sell to someone who has never tried it. Personally I think the "rumble" part sounds great, but the triggers fighting back at me sounds like something I'd disable as soon as possible, no matter if it's on Xbox or PS. I'm also curious to see if it impacts controller durability, but that remains to be seen I suppose.

Also, I doubt it's the controller that makes the difference in the end. I think it's more a question of price and where does my friends play this game (if multiplayer). If we're talking stricly single player games and it's 15$ cheaper on the competing platform, would you really pay 15$ for haptics?

It's hard to sell to someone who has never tried it. Personally I think the "rumble" part sounds great, but the triggers fighting back at me sounds like something I'd disable as soon as possible, no matter if it's on Xbox or PS. I'm also curious to see if it impacts controller durability, but that remains to be seen I suppose.

Also, I doubt it's the controller that makes the difference in the end. I think it's more a question of price and where does my friends play this game (if multiplayer). If we're talking stricly single player games and it's 15$ cheaper on the competing platform, would you really pay 15$ for haptics?
Maybe I'm just a luddite but a lot of the forum buzz around haptics in every cross platform game feels like a way of arguing that one version is better in a way that you literally can't counter as they aren't available on Xbox. The only haptics that have even remotely impressed me so far have been in Astrobot and I think some of that was clever use of the controller speaker to trick your brain into thinking you were feeling ice skates or the wind - however they did it it did work.

The triggers feel super janky to me and all the clicking as the tension changes belies the premium feel they are going for. They are not at all how I imagined them based on the hype. They do work very well for alt fire in Ratchet but are not that accurate and sometime ignore your input when the tension hasn't reset in time which is bad for such a fast paced game. I've not tried playing without in that game to see how alt fire would work normally.

I think they could become a differentiator if used carefully, i.e. haptics only for select things and triggers that don't try to do too much, but the current trend appears to be more rumble more better.

Md Ray

And no one here would know frame drops without these sites doing it either. But given the information, Series X wins.

It's OK Dforce. It's just a reverse of PS4/Xbox One days when PS4 had more resolution wins. Since PS4 Pro/One X days (and now), Xbox systems win the res game almost all the time.

I'm sure you were a resolution supporter back in the day. So you cant do a 180 now when it doesn't support your console.
Let me remind you that PS4/XB1 and the Pro consoles have larger difference in resolution, always in the region of 40-44%, and clearly noticeable. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

PS5/XSX res differences are nowhere near that big. All that chest-beating for an imperceptible 8% difference in the case of this game only makes you look desperate for "wins".

So another win fo Xbox. Interesting, 6 months ago PlayStation used to have better versions of multi platform, further we go into this gen Xbox is getting more and more wins in these comparisons. The best place to play 3rd party games (after pc) is Xbox series x

LOL. What win?

This is it? This is how XSX with 1.9 TF ( with one and only full RDNA 2 , 52 CUs, advantage and higher bandwidth and "much faster" CPU won this comparison over PS5? If i were you, i would throw XSX through the window. I would be damn embarrassed to see how weaker console can parry and be better in some segments than stronger console.

This is basically a win for PS5 ( pretty much every comparison is ), . It is a sight to behold how weaker console is on par with stronger one. In some cases even better, like slightly more stable framerate and better AF in this game.

Looks like there is a truth to theory which said that XSX with 100% sustained clocks speed will leave some power on the table, so underperforming compared to PS5 which surely punch above its weight with variable clocks

Last edited:

pasterpl

LOL. What win?

This is it? This is how XSX with 1.9 TF ( with one and only full RDNA 2 , 52 CUs, advantage and higher bandwidth and "much faster" CPU won this comparison over PS5? If i were you, i would throw XSX through the window. I would be damn embarrassed to see how weaker console can parry and be better in some segments than stronger console.

This is basically a win for PS5 ( pretty much every comparison is ), . It is a sight to behold how weaker console is on par with stronger one. In some cases even better, like slightly more stable framerate and better AF in this game.

Looks like there is a truth to theory which said that XSX with 100% sustained clocks speed will leave some power on the table, so underperforming compared to PS5 which surely punch above its weight with variable clocks
You are funny. Not sure if on purpose, but still, funny. I would I throw my XSX with all of its high res and 120fps glory? https://www.neogaf.com/threads/120fps-games-ps5-xbx-xbs.1606376/

It is quite simple, we have got XSS that is is a weak, casual machine that is struggling to compete with XoneX, PS5 that is somewhere between the generations, and XSX which is a proper next-gen with all "bells and whistles" (referring to all DX12 and RDNA2 features). I also can see that the "no-games" narrative is no longer mentioned that much so now what is left for some is grasping at straws. And to think that FlightSim, Forza H5, and Halo are not yet out. It will be a very unpleasant H2 for some 8)

Below a quick summary table, I have done based on some comparison we have had in the last months (if expanded might be worth a thread);

GamePlaystation 5Xbox Series XXbox Series S
Marvel's Avengers4K Checkerboard4K Native1440p
Need for Speed Hot Pursuit Remastered4K Native4K Native1080p
Hitman 31800p4K Native1080p
Mortal Shell Enhanced Edition1440p1800p1350p
AC Valhalla (QM)4K Native4K Native1296p
Outriders1260p to 1800p1440p to 2088p900p to 1440p
Resident Evil Village4K Reconstructed4K Reconstructed1440P Reconstructed
CoD BO CW1800p-2160p1800p-2160p1200p-1440p

Mr Moose

You are funny. Not sure if on purpose, but still, funny. I would I throw my XSX with all of its high res and 120fps glory? https://www.neogaf.com/threads/120fps-games-ps5-xbx-xbs.1606376/

It is quite simple, we have got XSS that is is a weak, casual machine that is struggling to compete with XoneX, PS5 that is somewhere between the generations, and XSX which is a proper next-gen with all "bells and whistles" (referring to all DX12 and RDNA2 features). I also can see that the "no-games" narrative is no longer mentioned that much so now what is left for some is grasping at straws. And to think that FlightSim, Forza H5, and Halo are not yet out. It will be a very unpleasant H2 for some 8)

Below a quick summary table, I have done based on some comparison we have had in the last months (if expanded might be worth a thread);

Mortal Shell is the same on PS5 as the Xbox Series X now (1800p DRS).

assurdum

Banned

Look at the coincidence you use the games with the higher resolution difference possibile and you don't even care to check the last updating about Mortal Shell...Xbox a proper generation update lol sure if you don't care about steady FPS.

Last edited:
Wrong. PC and consoles are not the same, even Microsoft said that.
Playstation consoles are far from being the same as PC, PS shares the same x86 architecture programming environment with PC to be more developers friendly. PS has its own OS, API. PS GPUs are heavily modified since PS4. PS5 GPU is called customed RDNA2. Not the same as PC cards.
Feel free to explain why GPU and CPU loads would be different on the PS5 compared to a PC. There's no reason the loads should be different.

Lysandros

LOL. What win?

Why do you think that PS5 is 'punching above its weight' with its higher geometry throughput, higher pixel fill rate, better/faster cache architecture and faster fixed function GPU units exactly? I am actually very perplexed to see up to 30% resolution advantages in favor of XSX in recent exaples like Watch Dogs (performance mode) and Metro, i expected better from PS5 given the specs (unless there is something miscommunicated about them like the stability of the variable clocks). I would be very curious to know about Matt Hargett's thoughts about the situation, he was quite eager about the 'benchmarkable' situations between those systems in the beginning of the generation, putting emphasis on PS5's cache system/architecture again and again, not so much now for a reason it seems.. Maybe someone should directly ask him about the matter on Twitter, i am not a user.

Last edited:

silent head

(QM)
4K Native4K Native1296p

Xbox Series X in performance mode uses a dynamic resolution with the highest resolution found being 3840x2160 and the lowest resolution found being approximately 2304x1296.
PS5 in quality mode uses a dynamic resolution with the highest resolution found being 3840x2160 and the lowest resolution found being 3200x1800.
Xbox Series X in quality mode uses a dynamic resolution with the highest resolution found being 3840x2160 and the lowest resolution found being approximately 3413x1920.

PS5 in Performance Mode uses a dynamic resolution with the highest native resolution found being 3840x2160 and the lowest native resolution found being approximately 2432x1368. PS5 in Performance Mode rarely renders at a native resolution of 3840x2160.
Xbox Series X in Performance Mode uses a dynamic resolution with the highest native resolution found being 3840x2160 and the lowest native resolution found being 1920x1080. Xbox Series X in Performance Mode rarely renders at a native resolution of 3840x2160 and drops in resolution down to 1920x1080 seem to be uncommon.
In scenes such as 8:14 the PS5 in Performance Mode runs at a higher native resolution than the Xbox Series X in Performance Mode but with worse performance. However, in many scenes the PS5 and Xbox Series X render at a very similar resolution in Performance Mode.
PS5 and Xbox Series X in Performance Mode use a form of temporal reconstruction to increase the resolution up to 3840x2160 when rendering natively below this resolution. PS5 and Xbox Series X in Quality Mode uses a dynamic resolution with the highest native resolution found being 3840x2160 and the lowest native resolution found being approximately 3552x1998. On both consoles in Quality Mode drops in resolution below 3840x2160 seem to be uncommon.

Last edited:

assurdum

Banned
Why do you think that PS5 is 'punching above its weight' with its higher geometry throughput, higher pixel fill rate, better/faster cache architecture and faster fixed function GPU units exactly? I am actually very perplexed to see up to 30% resolution advantages in favor of XSX in recent exaples like Watch Dogs (performance mode) and Metro, i expected better from PS5 given the specs (unless there is something miscommunicated about them like the stability of the variable clocks). I would be very curious to know about Matt Hargett's thoughts about the situation, he was quite eager about the 'benchmarkable' situations between those systems in the beginning of the generation, putting emphasis on PS5's cache system/architecture again and again, not so much now for a reason it seems.. Maybe someone should directly ask him about the matter on Twitter, i am not a user.
I'm not at all. Engine tied to CUs specs favour series X hardware. About the supposed advantage of the custom cache inside the ps5 hardware, I think it's quite early to judge. I don't think in 9 months from launch you already can see it. If really it's that useful.

Last edited:

assurdum

Banned
That doesn't even mean anything, sounds like standard Tim Sweeney PR speak. Even with the power of the magical SSD, the GPU and CPU loads will stay the same.
Mean anything to you because you barely understand such stuff. He did a good explanation about it via Twitter. But sure no way ps5 can't have any sort of advantage right?

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member

That is like selling a bunch of pictures without the frames.

sarcastic well done GIF by CBC
Not Funny Reaction GIF by Bounce

Last edited:
Mean anything to you because you barely understand such stuff. He did a good explanation about it via Twitter. But sure no way ps5 can't have any sort of advantage right?
Again, "go look on Twitter" is not an argument. There is no reason why GPU and CPU loads should be much different between PC and consoles. It's not like the magical SSD is rendering graphics or solving logic equations. It's only pushing data from A to B.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year

If resolution is the only thing we will see as a difference between the 2 consoles, then yes…it will look kinda embarrassing after a year of power talk from Xbox and their brainwashed fans.

Insiders and some devs were right. The PS5 looks like a more balanced console.

Last edited:

assurdum

Banned
Again, "go look on Twitter" is not an argument. There is no reason why GPU and CPU loads should be much different between PC and consoles. It's not like the magical SSD is rendering graphics or solving logic equations. It's only pushing data from A to B.
Based on what there is no way? Do you have idea how much GPU is wasted in useless processing where meanwhile could be used for the graphic? You know how the data transfer works?

Last edited:
Based on what there is no way? Do you have idea how much GPU is wasted is useless processing where meanwhile could be used for "better" graphic? You know how data works?
What do you mean with "useless processing"? How does the magical SSD solve this problem?

assurdum

Banned
What do you mean with "useless processing"? How does the magical SSD solve this problem?
It's not just SSD, it's the I/O customization. The time the GPU waste to decompress data (as on pc), can be used to push more the graphic. That's what Sweeney confimed and Cerny claimed in Road to ps5.

Last edited:

But all of a sudden you forgot better framerates, less to no stuttering and better texture filtering on PS5 in some games. Btw. didn't people claimed that PS5 36 CU's and less bandwidth wouldn't be enough for RT in some games and also running as good as XSX with its higher bandwidth and 52 CUs? Oh, yes, they did. And look where we are now. PS5 is on par with XSX with RT or better. Who would ever thought that.

Feel free to explain why GPU and CPU loads would be different on the PS5 compared to a PC. There's no reason the loads should be different.

GPU and CPU variable clocks are based on temperature, on PS5 are based on workload in games. You asked for that or something else?

Lysandros

If resolution is the only thing we will see as a difference between the 2 consoles, then yes…it will look kinda embarrassing after a year of power talk from Xbox and their brainwashed fans.

Insiders and some devs were right. The PS5 looks like a more balanced console.
The so called 'more powerful' (not that i agree with that statement 'yet'..) console pushing more pixels than its rival at equivalent performance across the titles, what would be so 'embarrasing' about it exactly?..

Last edited:

Dibils2k

- Xbox Series X in Performance Mode uses a dynamic resolution with the highest native resolution found being 2560x1440 and the lowest resolution found being approximately 2112x1188.
- Xbox Series X in Performance Mode uses temporal upsampling to reconstruct a 2560x1440 resolution when rendering natively below this resolution.
- PS5 in Performance Mode uses a dynamic resolution with the highest native resolution found being 2560x1440 and the lowest resolution found being approximately 2026x1140.
- PS5 in Performance Mode uses temporal upsampling to reconstruct a 2560x1440 resolution when rendering natively below this resolution.
- Native resolution pixel counts at 2560x1440 seem to be common on PS5 and Xbox Series X in Performance Mode.

- PS5 in Resolution Mode uses a dynamic resolution with the highest native resolution found being 3840x2160 and the lowest resolution found being approximately 3072x1728.
- PS5 in Resolution Mode uses temporal upsampling to reconstruct a 3840x2160 resolution when rendering natively below this resolution.
- Xbox Series X in Resolution Mode uses a dynamic resolution with the highest native resolution found being 3840x2160 and the lowest resolution found being approximately 3200x1800.
- Xbox Series X in Resolution Mode uses temporal upsampling to reconstruct a 3840x2160 resolution when rendering natively below this resolution.
- Native resolution pixel counts at 3840x2160 seem to be common on PS5 and Xbox Series X in Resolution Mode.

- Xbox Series S uses a dynamic resolution with the highest native resolution found being 1920x1080 and the lowest resolution found being 1280x720.
- Xbox Series S uses temporal upsampling to reconstruct a 1920x1080 resolution when rendering natively below this resolution.

- All three consoles render the UI at 3840x2160

AHHHH much better. sorry carry on

It's not just SSD, it's the I/O customization. The time the GPU waste to decompress data (as on pc), you can use such time to push more graphic on console. That's what Sweeney confimed and Cerny claimed in Road to ps5.

This is one of the old post i've accidentally found :

People are really struggling to realize how a variable clock/power system gets more performance out of a certain hardware than one with fixed clocks/power balancing.
PS5 variable clocks are there to balance the load between the CPU and the GPU in order to eliminate per frame bottlenecks, they're not there because "the system can't handle both at max clocks". Whenever there's a bottleneck in either the CPU/GPU, power can be channeled from either one of them to the other without compromising performance thus making the system more resilient to bottlenecks.
With a system like the Series X, you just throw fixed power at both and if there's a bottleneck in either the CPU or the GPU at a given time, the bottleneck simply occurs.
Now, of course the Series X still has a more powerful CPU/GPU, that's not up for debate, what I'm trying here to explain is that If the system was also designed as a variable clock system with the APU load balancing like the PS5, it would end up being even more powerful than what it currently is precisely because of that.

Just like that.

assurdum

Banned
This is one of the old post i've accidentally found :

Just like that.
Well that's a different argument there. Yes variable frequency can help too to push better the hardware but I'm talking about the data communication in the GPU and how many cycles are wasted to other stuff than just graphic.

The so called 'more powerful' (not that agree with that statement 'yet'..) console pushing more pixels than its rival at equivalent performance across the titles, what would be so 'embarrasing' about it exactly?..

Because people claimed that one and only "full RDNA2" ( which is nonsense ) 12TF with 52CUs, higher bandwidth would provide a much better performance over PS5 in every category in games ( resolution, graphics, framerate ), especially RT in games because RT is scaling with CUs where PS5 lakcs of. :/

It's not just SSD, it's the I/O. The time the GPU waste to decompress data (as on pc), you can use it to push more graphic on console. That's what Sweeney confimed and Cerny claimed in Road to ps5.
The decompression happens on the CPU. It's currently not a problem though because CPUs are asleep with current games since 95% of games are built for 2012 Jaguar CPUs. By the time games start actually hitting the CPU, we'll have Direct Storage so it won't become a problem. I don't see the advantage nor the difference tbh.

That doesn't sound right.

I always thought the data has to go to ram before going to the GPU. Saying that it can go from the SSD straight to the GPU doesn't sound right.

assurdum

Banned
The decompression happens on the CPU. It's currently not a problem though because CPUs are asleep with current games since 95% of games are built for 2012 Jaguar CPUs. By the time games start actually hitting the CPU, we'll have Direct Storage so it won't become a problem. I don't see the advantage nor the difference tbh.
You don't see the advantage to use such time to graphic processing indeed to waste it in other stuff? Ok

Last edited:
You don't see the advantage to use the time to graphic processing indeed to waste it in other stuff? Ok
Again, it has nothing to do with GPU. The CPU does the decompression. The average CPU is also bored to death with all these cross-gen games. By the time we get next-gen games and the CPU has to put in some solid work, we'll have Direct Storage anyway.

Top Bottom