• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order PS5 vs Xbox Series X|S Frame Rate Comparison (Next-Gen Update), VGTech

Arioco

Stats

Xbox Series X in Performance Mode uses a dynamic resolution with the highest native resolution found being 2560x1440 and the lowest resolution found being approximately 2112x1188. Xbox Series X in Performance Mode uses temporal upsampling to reconstruct a 2560x1440 resolution when rendering natively below this resolution. PS5 in Performance Mode uses a dynamic resolution with the highest native resolution found being 2560x1440 and the lowest resolution found being approximately 2026x1140. PS5 in Performance Mode uses temporal upsampling to reconstruct a 2560x1440 resolution when rendering natively below this resolution. Native resolution pixel counts at 2560x1440 seem to be common on PS5 and Xbox Series X in Performance Mode. PS5 in Resolution Mode uses a dynamic resolution with the highest native resolution found being 3840x2160 and the lowest resolution found being approximately 3072x1728. PS5 in Resolution Mode uses temporal upsampling to reconstruct a 3840x2160 resolution when rendering natively below this resolution. Xbox Series X in Resolution Mode uses a dynamic resolution with the highest native resolution found being 3840x2160 and the lowest resolution found being approximately 3200x1800. Xbox Series X in Resolution Mode uses temporal upsampling to reconstruct a 3840x2160 resolution when rendering natively below this resolution. Native resolution pixel counts at 3840x2160 seem to be common on PS5 and Xbox Series X in Resolution Mode. Xbox Series S uses a dynamic resolution with the highest native resolution found being 1920x1080 and the lowest resolution found being 1280x720. Xbox Series S uses temporal upsampling to reconstruct a 1920x1080 resolution when rendering natively below this resolution. All three consoles render the UI at 3840x2160.

Last edited:

Mr Moose

draw-game.png

Banned
if they ironed out the weird stutters it would be perfect on PS5 and SX... Series S would still need some work tho, seems not really performing how it should considering similar PC hardware tbh. but then again, none of them do, but it's more obvious on Series S

Last edited:
if they ironed out the weird stutters it would be perfect on PS5 and SX... Series S would still need some work tho, seems not really performing how it should considering similar PC hardware tbh. but then again, none of them do, but it's more obvious on Series S

The XSS only has one mode though?

Can't find the stats for the resolution mode so I'm wondering if that's a mistake.

Banned
The XSS only has one mode though?

Can't find the stats for the resolution mode so I'm wondering if that's a mistake.

no, it really only has a framerate mode... which is extremely weird to say the least. that system is the only one who actually could use a resolution mode, but doesn't have one.

I mean, like I said, it seems not that optimised still. I think Respawn really had a hard time switching to Unreal Engine. even the jump to native PS5 and SX didn't iron out the weird and random stutters... now there's no I/O or CPU excuse anymore

Last edited:
no, it really only has a framerate mode... which is extremely weird to say the least. that system is the only one who actually could use a resolution mode, but doesn't have one.

I mean, like I said, it seems not that optimised still. I think Respawn really had a hard time switching to Unreal Engine. even the jump to native PS5 and SX didn't iron out the weird and random stutters... now there's no I/O or CPU excuse anymore

There's no reason why it shouldn't have a 1440P 30FPs mode. Weird that they left the option out.

Banned
There's no reason why it shouldn't have a 1440P 30FPs mode. Weird that they left the option out.

extremely weird. seems like even tho they made native ports, the basic setup was almost entirely brought over from the last gen versions, where the One S also only had 1 option which was eventually patched to run unlocked on Series S.

but then on the other hand, they improved the graphics settings within these modes/versions... so I really don't get why they did that.

Kilau

Gold Member
What's the resolution between the two?
Xbox Series X in Performance Mode uses a dynamic resolution with the highest native resolution found being 2560x1440 and the lowest resolution found being approximately 2112x1188. Xbox Series X in Performance Mode uses temporal upsampling to reconstruct a 2560x1440 resolution when rendering natively below this resolution.

PS5 in Performance Mode uses a dynamic resolution with the highest native resolution found being 2560x1440 and the lowest resolution found being approximately 2026x1140. PS5 in Performance Mode uses temporal upsampling to reconstruct a 2560x1440 resolution when rendering natively below this resolution.

Native resolution pixel counts at 2560x1440 seem to be common on PS5 and Xbox Series X in Performance Mode.

PS5 in Resolution Mode uses a dynamic resolution with the highest native resolution found being 3840x2160 and the lowest resolution found being approximately 3072x1728. PS5 in Resolution Mode uses temporal upsampling to reconstruct a 3840x2160 resolution when rendering natively below this resolution.

Xbox Series X in Resolution Mode uses a dynamic resolution with the highest native resolution found being 3840x2160 and the lowest resolution found being approximately 3200x1800. Xbox Series X in Resolution Mode uses temporal upsampling to reconstruct a 3840x2160 resolution when rendering natively below this resolution.

Native resolution pixel counts at 3840x2160 seem to be common on PS5 and Xbox Series X in Resolution Mode.

Xbox Series S uses a dynamic resolution with the highest native resolution found being 1920x1080 and the lowest resolution found being 1280x720. Xbox Series S uses temporal upsampling to reconstruct a 1920x1080 resolution when rendering natively below this resolution.

All three consoles render the UI at 3840x2160.
I swear the textures look a tiny bit sharper close up on PS5 in the performance mode, just like a strange blurriness on Xbox, but I'd never notice it when playing.

Last edited:

Elios83

Looks like series x Wins again with much higher resolution and on xbox game pass.
Resolution is pretty much the same:

Xbox Series X in Performance Mode uses a dynamic resolution with the highest native resolution found being 2560x1440 and the lowest resolution found being approximately 2112x1188. Xbox Series X in Performance Mode uses temporal upsampling to reconstruct a 2560x1440 resolution when rendering natively below this resolution.

PS5 in Performance Mode uses a dynamic resolution with the highest native resolution found being 2560x1440 and the lowest resolution found being approximately 2026x1140. PS5 in Performance Mode uses temporal upsampling to reconstruct a 2560x1440 resolution when rendering natively below this resolution.

Native resolution pixel counts at 2560x1440 seem to be common on PS5 and Xbox Series X in Performance Mode.

PS5 in Resolution Mode uses a dynamic resolution with the highest native resolution found being 3840x2160 and the lowest resolution found being approximately 3072x1728. PS5 in Resolution Mode uses temporal upsampling to reconstruct a 3840x2160 resolution when rendering natively below this resolution.

Xbox Series X in Resolution Mode uses a dynamic resolution with the highest native resolution found being 3840x2160 and the lowest resolution found being approximately 3200x1800. Xbox Series X in Resolution Mode uses temporal upsampling to reconstruct a 3840x2160 resolution when rendering natively below this resolution.

frame rate average is actually higher on PS5, Gamepass has nothing to do with a technical analysis and obviously you're desperate to find advantages for your favourite console that simply do not exist.
The game is the same on both for all practical purposes.

Last edited:
Looks like series x Wins again with much higher resolution and on xbox game pass.

Nope.

Xbox Series X in Performance Mode uses a dynamic resolution with the highest native resolution found being 2560x1440 and the lowest resolution found being approximately 2112x1188. Xbox Series X in Performance Mode uses temporal upsampling to reconstruct a 2560x1440 resolution when rendering natively below this resolution. PS5 in Performance Mode uses a dynamic resolution with the highest native resolution found being 2560x1440 and the lowest resolution found being approximately 2026x1140. PS5 in Performance Mode uses temporal upsampling to reconstruct a 2560x1440 resolution when rendering natively below this resolution. Native resolution pixel counts at 2560x1440 seem to be common on PS5 and Xbox Series X in Performance Mode. PS5 in Resolution Mode uses a dynamic resolution with the highest native resolution found being 3840x2160 and the lowest resolution found being approximately 3072x1728. PS5 in Resolution Mode uses temporal upsampling to reconstruct a 3840x2160 resolution when rendering natively below this resolution. Xbox Series X in Resolution Mode uses a dynamic resolution with the highest native resolution found being 3840x2160 and the lowest resolution found being approximately 3200x1800. Xbox Series X in Resolution Mode uses temporal upsampling to reconstruct a 3840x2160 resolution when rendering natively below this resolution. Native resolution pixel counts at 3840x2160 seem to be common on PS5 and Xbox Series X in Resolution Mode.

Both versions of the game are practically identical. The only one that falls way behind is the XSS version.

Xbox Series S uses a dynamic resolution with the highest native resolution found being 1920x1080 and the lowest resolution found being 1280x720. Xbox Series S uses temporal upsampling to reconstruct a 1920x1080 resolution when rendering natively below this resolution. All three consoles render the UI at 3840x2160.

Last edited:
Resolution is pretty much the same:

frame rate average is actually higher on PS5, Gamepass has nothing to do with a technical analysis and obviously you're desperate to find advantages for your favourite console that simply do not exist.
The game is the same on both for all practical purposes.
Actually, the resolution is much better on Xbox series x (check the description) and has VRR support for those 1fps differences which isn't noticeable to begin with. Also, how is xbox game pass not a factor? If you own Xbox game pass, you get the game without any additional cost. More options = better experience.

Last edited:

Elios83

Actually, the resolution is much better on Xbox series x (check the description) and has VRR support for those 1fps differences which isn't noticeable. Also, how is xbox game pass not a factor? If you own Xbox game pass, you get the game without any additional cost. More options = better experience.

Resolution is almost the same, you should check the description.
Are you actually suggesting that 1188p vs 1140p or 1800p vs 1728p as the lowest res is the two modes equal to something perceivable let alone much better? :messenger_tears_of_joy:
You're quite frankly delusional and totally stucked in MS propaganda.

Last edited:
XSX lowest = 3200x1800 = 5,760,000

PS5 lowest = 3072x1728 = 5,308,416

That is over an 8% difference. Not to mention Xbox series X hits the higher resolution more often than PS5 so it could be even higher! Not to mention the 1fps difference (lol) is gone with VRR.

That's pretty small and it's an edge case in this game and not the average.

Native resolution pixel counts at 3840x2160 seem to be common on PS5 and Xbox Series X in Resolution Mode.

Could you find a way to make the percentage larger?

Edit: Like around 30%-40% on average would be fine..

Last edited:

8% + better pixels is a pretty big difference. Especially in a semi open world game. I can imagine hitting 20% range because series x able to hit the higher resolution in certain areas.

Last edited:

Going from 90% to 100% resolution scaling in many games, do have a pretty perceivable difference. Like Valhalla for instance. There's no real way to test this on consoles on the other hand, as most couldn't tell the difference, unless they could flip a switch and alternate between the two.

I'd personally go for the highest resolution, and Gsync/Freesync would cover the rest.

Thief1987

Sorry for offtop. Is anybody know which version i will get through EA Play on PS5 - this or regular PS4 version through BC? I'm not sure how these free upgrades work with subscription service's games.

Last edited:
Going from 90% to 100% resolution scaling in many games, do have a pretty perceivable difference. Like Valhalla for instance. There's no real way to test this on consoles on the other hand, as most couldn't tell the difference, unless they could flip a switch and alternate between the two.

I'd personally go for the highest resolution, and Gsync/Freesync would cover the rest.

Well it also depends on the screen that your using. Someone gaming on a small screen won't see it but someone on a much larger display would.

The problem is that the resolution scales dynamically on both systems so the percentage on a per scene basis will change.

And your right that for the most part people won't notice the difference while playing unless they take screens and compare the two side by side.

Kangx

A pile of pixels the size of a postage stamp vs 1fps and some people blow their chests up like roosters. :messenger_tears_of_joy:
Yea, I don't see anyone win in this. Both console hit the same resolution. I think most resolution drop are in cutscene like wise for frame rate too. So anyone take the lowest bound as indicate of the common resolution when VGtech clearly clarify that in his description. Also, it's not just 1 frame advantage. In this scene here the ps5 has 10fps which close to 20 percent advantage, but clearly this is not indicative of how the ps5 has big advantages over the series x. We can't use this and say the ps5 clearly has 20 percentage in fps like you using lower bound resolution now.
FamRuDp.jpg

However, it could be more depending on the areas. This was the LOWEST point but not the average. Usually the average will become bigger.

Not really the average sounded like it's the max resolution on both. If you look at a bell curve the minimums are outliers. According to this analysis both systems are hitting their max resolutions often so the curve should lean heavily towards the maximums.

You can bet you last dollar 8% difference in the average framerate would be a massive difference.

I have a feeling that differences in framerate would be more noticeable than differences in resolution. If you don't have VRR any dips in framerate can cause visible stuttering and increased input lag.

But with this comparison the differences in FPs is quite minimal so I doubt anyone would notice that on either platform.

Kangx

Not really the average sounded like it's the max resolution on both. If you look at a bell curve the minimums are outliers. According to this analysis both systems are hitting their max resolutions often so the curve should lean heavily towards the maximums.
Agree, See my post above. It is not average for frame rate and resolution. Ps5 drop in resolution and series x drop in frame rate. The lowest resolution drop in one scence has the series x 8 percent advantage. The frame rate drop in one scene has the ps5 around 17 percent advantage. So yea, we can not use this stats and say this is th common performance of both consoles.

Mr Moose

Where did I lie at? It has at least 8%+ better resolution VRR, and quick resume which is definitely needed for this game. Also, it is on xbox game pass which makes it the ultimate deal.
Yeah that's a sooo much higher resolution that you're trying to peddle.
VRR? Who are you, the second coming of Riky?
Game Pass has fuck all to do with technical analysis.

Last edited:
Top Bottom