• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order PS5 vs Xbox Series X|S Frame Rate Comparison (Next-Gen Update), VGTech

assurdum

Banned
Again, it has nothing to do with GPU. The CPU does the decompression. The average CPU is also bored to death with all these cross-gen games. By the time we get next-gen games and the CPU has to put in some solid work, we'll have Direct Storage anyway.
I could have used the word decompression wrongly, but we are talking how data is transferred in the GPU. You wasted cycle when you can just use the GPU for the graphic.

I could have used the word decompression wrongly, but we are talking how data is transferred in the GPU. You wasted cycle when you can just use the GPU for the graphic.
The GPU isn't wasting any ressources here. It doesn't really care how it gets the data, it just wants the data to be there. You waste a bit of CPU ressources with the decompression on the PC, but it's a non-issue currently and with Direct Storage it will never become an issue. That's why I don't see a difference.

assurdum

Banned
The GPU isn't wasting any ressources here. It doesn't really care how it gets the data, it just wants the data to be there. You waste a bit of CPU ressources with the decompression on the PC, but it's a non-issue currently and with Direct Storage it will never become an issue. That's why I don't see a difference.
Listen I explained to you how work. CPU has nothing to do with what I talked about. But obviously you find an excuse to downplay it barely understand of what I'm talking about. It's ended as expected. Your fanboism is hopeless.
As Riky. Zero argument all war. Grow up childs.

Last edited:
Doubt it. Probably we are talking of milliseconds of "better" IQ I suspect.

That's why I said "at times". Whether or not it's often enough to be noticeable we don't really know.

All I saw from the description is that the max resolutions is common on both systems. Makes me believe that the stress points is where we will see those drops.

those 2 fps difference in exchange of higher res is the best choice ...also sx have VRR
and i have a vrr 4k 120hz

With the two being almost identical it would really have to boil down to controller choice for me.

In my situation I wouldn't notice the difference in framerate or resolution.

Last edited:

Lysandros

But all of a sudden you forgot better framerates, less to no stuttering and better texture filtering on PS5 in some games. Btw. didn't people claimed that PS5 36 CU's and less bandwidth wouldn't be enough for RT in some games and also running as good as XSX with its higher bandwidth and 52 CUs? Oh, yes, they did. And look where we are now. PS5 is on par with XSX with RT or better. Who would ever thought that.
No, i didn't forget about those at all, quite the contrary, i am one of the posters pointing at these PS5 advantages regularly (you can check my post history). My argument was (for some time now) that PS5 isn't punching above its weight but performing as it should/according to its spec base. Now, after seeing the recent trend/examples mentioned i am begining to think that PS5 isn't performing as well as in the beginning of the generation (like Assassin's Creed or Dirt for example with higher overall rosolution and performance) or even 'underperfoming' (again in those tiles specifically) and wondering about the reasons. To be clear Star Wars Jedi order falls within my expectations there is no mystery there.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
The so called 'more powerful' (not that agree with that statement 'yet'..) console pushing more pixels than its rival at equivalent performance across the titles, what would be so 'embarrasing' about it exactly?..

Because we have never seen the XSX pulling both better FPS and framerate and let's not forget graphics. It was always the same between the 2 or a slightly better res for XSX. Other then that the PS5 has mostly the better graphics settings, less pop-in, stutters and frame pacing issues.

The XSX shows nothing impressive against the PS5 in comparisons. But if you find a slightly higher dynamic res impressive then well....enjoy it then.

Last edited:
I have a TV with an excellent upscaler. So ps5 is the better version right? Better performance. Period
GIF by Giphy QA

nowhat

So. Instead of wanking over the specs/performance on various platforms, I actually downloaded and completed this on PS5. Already bought it on a Pro, played it for a couple of hours - didn't hate it, but it was quite rough at the time as far as technology is concerned. And didn't immediately love it either. Off to backlog she goes, which usually would have been the end of that, but now that there's a free update, why not give it a go?

And I'm glad I did, I really liked it. Not the combat so much, it's fine but not best in class in any area. But the exploration/traversal/Metroid-esque levels, they were great. When it comes to the last bit, for the most part it's fine, but there are few issues with the level design at places. On the whole though, the levels are fun to explore which is essential in this kind of game, once you unlock more skills (which is how it should be, not complaining).

Also when it comes to the story, I particularly didn't care for it. It was fine, but nothing to write home about. Some good characters. Some... less good. I usually find it quite pathetic when people complain about these kinds of things, so the hypocrisy is not lost on me, but: Cere. I didn't care for her as a character, that's fine. It's her appearance. When details of her harrowed past kept being revealed, I was constantly waiting "ok, so is this the point where you learn what they did to her eyes?". No such point came. The eyes still haunt me.

...oh right, this is a performance topic. It was completely fine. The occasional stutter here and there, but pretty much all the time related to world traversal, not really affecting gameplay. I did run into one quite major technical issue though, if you play for extended sessions (and maybe also pause during cutscenes, that may or may not be related), the speech audio in cutscenes can get way off. Like way off, we're talking a few seconds. And the only way to rectify this, as far as I can tell, is to restart the game (if you keep playing, the problem will persist into the next cutscene). Annoying, but restarting is quick thankfully.

Lysandros

Because we have never seen the XSX pulling both better FPS and framerate and let's not forget graphics. It was always the same between the 2 or a slightly better res for XSX. Other then that the PS5 has mostly the better graphics settings, less pop-in, stutters and frame pacing issues.

The XSX shows nothing impressive against the PS5 in comparisons. But if you find a slightly higher dynamic res impressive then well....enjoy it then.
Which i find to be 'surprising' (not impressive) right now is how a GPU with only ~20% higher max theoretical compute is begining to push ~ 20% higher resolutions more often than not despite being behind in quite a few other GPU metrics by that much, especially with a lesser/slower cache system. I always considered the GPUs in those machines to be nearly equal in capability with the higher efficiency of PS5. I begin to feel slight doubts about this right now, but lets see how proper next-gen games fare.

Last edited:

MonarchJT

Banned
I have a TV with an excellent upscaler. So ps5 is the better version right? Better performance. Period
In any case the PS5 have better performance of you have VRR .this above the fact that the xs have better iq and higher res. Your downplay is plain stupid

Last edited:
Which one do you prefer?

Unfortunately I haven't had a chance to really try out the Haptics or adaptive triggers since I'm using them on PC.

The Xbox controller does have better support on PC. It's nice to have matching button icons instead of trying to guess where X and Y are on the Dualsense.

But I do find the Dualsense more comfortable and everything seems tighter on it overall.

I usually only use the Xbox controller if a game has horrendous support for the Dualsense. Otherwise I stick with the DualSense because it feels more ergonomic to me. And I like the buttons a lot better.

Shmunter

In any case the PS5 have better performance of you have VRR .this above the fact that the xs have better iq and higher res. Your downplay is plain stupid
Are you trying to convince yourself or those around you? The console performance is as is. An external device is just that - external, it is not the console.

External peripherals can certainly enhance and compliment one’s experience, bigger screen, better colours, 7.1 system, high end headphones, vsync, gsync, gaming chair, etc etc etc. None of these are better system ‘performance’.

You measure the actual, not a theoretical.

So no, PS5 performance is better as per the metrics presented. An XsX coupled with a VRR display can optionally aid an individual’s experience on XsX, it does not increase XsX performance.

Zathalus

This argument around 13 individual frames, or a difference in 0.001% average is bizzare. You all do realize that such numbers are statistically insignificant? How many runs were done with and were any deviations observed? What is the meaningful distinction here? As is arguing about the resolution differences, yes the PS5 has lower minimums, but without knowing how often each console deviates from 1440p it really means nothing.

One console is not performing better then the other in this title. Maybe if the consoles were not fps or resolution capped we would have something to go on, but they are not, so we don't.

You measure the actual, not a theoretical.
It goes both ways. The actual experience is what counts in the end, and VRR makes the games silky smooth no matter if there are some slight measureable stutters.

By the way, if you want to measure actual raw performance, you have to include both pixel count and framerate, otherwise you only have one part of the equation and it tells you nothing about the performance.

Honestly, I watch these comparison, and let me be clear, I have both systems, but multi-plat on Series X, and I never really see these frame rate dips, (maybe because of VRR). FOR ME, resolution, on a 4K OLED, is much more important.

SubZer0

Banned
The variable clock talking point is still not over imo. There's no reason to downclock the GPU when the CPU is half asleep running cross-gen games built for Jaguar :messenger_beaming: We'll see what happens once we start getting games that kill the GPU and CPU simultaneously. Avengers is one such game and it really didn't look great on PS5.
Marvel avengers is far away from taxing ("Kill") The CPU at all... in fact on an Ryzen 3700x it sits between 18 and 30% CPU usage with Peaks at 36-39%

eHT7UmI.jpg

Marvel avengers is far away from taxing ("Kill") The CPU at all... in fact on an Ryzen 3700x it sits between 18 and 30% CPU usage with Peaks at 36-39%

eHT7UmI.jpg

When you have spikes like these, I'd argue it's hitting the CPU quite decently. It also uses every single core which is kinda rare on cross-gen games.

NSlK4bs.png

SubZer0

Banned
When you have spikes like these, I'd argue it's hitting the CPU quite decently. It also uses every single core which is kinda rare on cross-gen games.

NSlK4bs.png
At these moments yes right the cpu usage is quite decently as you say, but its very rare and most of the time it sits between 20 to 30 %

scydrex

So Xbox fan when 900p vs 1080p didn't matter but now it matter... To me there is no difference. I´m happy X & PS5 performance is close so just get the console you like for the games you like. Arguing for a 8% res diff and still going with the console war.

Last edited:

avin

This argument around 13 individual frames, or a difference in 0.001% average is bizzare. You all do realize that such numbers are statistically insignificant? How many runs were done with and were any deviations observed? What is the meaningful distinction here? As is arguing about the resolution differences, yes the PS5 has lower minimums, but without knowing how often each console deviates from 1440p it really means nothing.

One console is not performing better then the other in this title. Maybe if the consoles were not fps or resolution capped we would have something to go on, but they are not, so we don't.

I agree. Without knowing what goes into these measurements, I don't want to be too critical of what's being attempted here, but it would be good to know more.

avin

Shmunter

It goes both ways. The actual experience is what counts in the end, and VRR makes the games silky smooth no matter if there are some slight measureable stutters.

By the way, if you want to measure actual raw performance, you have to include both pixel count and framerate, otherwise you only have one part of the equation and it tells you nothing about the performance.
And the Reality Creation feature on my TV increases perceived resolution. Does it mean the plugged in console is now a higher rez console? I may be getting a clearer picture than some others, but it’s not increasing the actual pixel count the PS5 is rendering. It’s idiotic to conflate by any measure.

Yes, XsX has higher rez and PS5 has better performance. That’s the actual reality, not VRR makes XsX perform better like the some are crossing their fingers in hopes of convincing some suckers.

Consistent performance is the priority for me and I’d argue most people. Those that disagree have an option in the Xbox.

Last edited:

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
I've just watched it on a 4k tv and the SX looks cleaner to me most of the time. Not night and day and I wouldn't notice unless next to each other, but it does imo.

And the Reality Creation feature on my TV increases perceived resolution. Does it mean the plugged in console is now a higher rez console? I may be getting a clearer picture than some others, but it’s not increasing the actual pixel count the PS5 is rendering. It’s idiotic to conflate by any measure.

Yes, XsX has higher rez and PS5 has better performance. That’s the actual reality, not VRR makes XsX perform better like the some are crossing their fingers in hopes of convincing some suckers.
TV upscaling can't resolve more detail than the GPU renders. It doesn't increase perceived resolution since resolution isn't only about sharpness, but also detail.

VRR on the other hand makes (small) frame drops imperceptible.

And no, PS5 doesn't have better performance. It has a higher frame rate, but that's only one half of the performance equation.

Md Ray

Unfortunately I haven't had a chance to really try out the Haptics or adaptive triggers since I'm using them on PC.

The Xbox controller does have better support on PC. It's nice to have matching button icons instead of trying to guess where X and Y are on the Dualsense.

But I do find the Dualsense more comfortable and everything seems tighter on it overall.

I usually only use the Xbox controller if a game has horrendous support for the Dualsense. Otherwise I stick with the DualSense because it feels more ergonomic to me. And I like the buttons a lot better.
Cool.

I'm thinking of getting DualSense for PC. I heard Metro Exodus EE is the first PC game to support DualSense features, is it true? If you have the game on PC maybe you can give it a try.

Last edited:

Shmunter

TV upscaling can't resolve more detail than the GPU renders. It doesn't increase perceived resolution since resolution isn't only about sharpness, but also detail.

VRR on the other hand makes (small) frame drops imperceptible.

And no, PS5 doesn't have better performance. It has a higher frame rate, but that's only one half of the performance equation.
Mine can, sharpness setting is a completely seperate slider. Reality creation does a lot of intelligent enhancements via AI. . Makes the tiny increased pixel count off XsX completely redundant on my set.

But I’m not going to go down the path of idiots by claiming external enhancements somehow increase the power of the console. Lol so idiotic.

Last edited:
Mine can, sharpness setting is a completely seperate slider. Reality creation does a lot of intelligent enhancements via AI. . Makes the tiny increased pixel count off XsX completely redundant on my set.
Bruh, I know Sony loves its made up buzzwords, but "Reality Creation" is nothing more than a sharpening filter which works a little better than a standard sharpening filter because it's adaptive to what's going on on the screen.

Cool.

I'm thinking of getting DualSense for PC. I heard Metro Exodus EE is the first PC game to support DualSense features, is it true? If you have the game on PC maybe you can give it a try.

I do know the Dualsense Haptics does work with some PC games. I had it working with Vanquish and Dragons Dogma. Unfortunately I don't have Metro so I can't tell you how well it works with it unless there's a free demo.

Shmunter

Bruh, I know Sony loves its made up buzzwords, but "Reality Creation" is nothing more than a sharpening filter which works a little better than a standard sharpening filter because it's adaptive to what's going on on the screen.
It does pattern matching per frame based on image analysis stored in its database, it knows faces, depth of field, etc. and applies varying levels of upscaling within each frame.

It may not be perfect, impossible to tell - but the difference it makes is striking on/off. Seems you know as much about the tech as you do about console performance. 😂

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
It's hard to sell to someone who has never tried it. Personally I think the "rumble" part sounds great, but the triggers fighting back at me sounds like something I'd disable as soon as possible, no matter if it's on Xbox or PS.
Play Astro’s Playroom and try to go for the Platinum and I think the game ought to make a believer out of you ;).

Also, I doubt it's the controller that makes the difference in the end.
Like tires or suspensions for a race car. You are free to buy your tires at a discount shop, but do not complain if the lesser cars are performing better than you think they should ;).

I think it's more a question of price and where does my friends play this game (if multiplayer). If we're talking stricly single player games and it's 15$ cheaper on the competing platform, would you really pay 15$ for haptics?
Provided DualSense was implemented well and the game looked close enough (few percent Resolution or frame rate diff is more than close enough)… yes, I would unless I lacked the money for the game and I just could not wait for some reason.

Top Bottom