• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stadia FAILS AGAIN! Doom Eternal will not run at 4K/60fps

DonJorginho

Banned
Another day another fail for Google as the bombshell was dropped that Doom Eternal is not true 4K on Google Stadia, developer id Software has confirmed.

Rather, the blistering first-person shooter runs at 1080p and 60 frames per second on HD displays, and up-samples to 2160p from 1800p at 60 frames per second on 4K displays.

The news comes as some surprise given Doom Eternal's position as one of the leading titles for Stadia, Google's use of the game to demo the tech to press, and the fact id promised the game would run in "true 4K" a year ago.

When Google unveiled its streaming platform at the Game Developers Conference in 2019, id boss Marty Stratton took to the stage to say Doom Eternal would run at "true 4K" - prompting a round of applause form the audience.

Safe to say Google have fallen behind all the competition, and then some with their disastrous launch, terrible lineup of games, and their constant lies and backtracking on former promises.

The days of Google Stadia are definitely numbered.

Stadiashit.png

Banned
TEN POINT SEVEN TERAFLOPS!

I wonder what the One X version will run like in comparison.
until now there is not a single game that runs better on Stadia compared to the One X, Metro Exodus came close but didn't get there all the way.

DonJorginho

Banned
TEN POINT SEVEN TERAFLOPS!

I wonder what the One X version will run like in comparison.
until now there is not a single game that runs better on Stadia compared to the One X, Metro Exodus came close but didn't get there all the way.

Fuck Google lmao.

If the base consoles are running at 1080p/60fps then you would expect such a powerful piece of equipment in the X to run at 4K/60fps, PS4 Pro performance could be interesting.

How the fuck will Switch run this though? 700p/25-30fps?

Last edited:

Banned
Fuck Google lmao.

If the base consoles are running at 1080p/60fps then you would expect such a powerful piece of equipment in the X to run at 4K/60fps.

to be fair, the base consoles will most likely not run it at 1080p60.
the game will most likely use a dynamic resolution like the first one.

I expect the One X version to hang around 1600p going up to 4k in some moments.
that's a realistic scenario I think.

also I wonder if that 1800p figure for Stadia is a fixed resolution or dynamic lol
it wouldn't surprise me if it's dynamic and will hang lower than the One X's resolution in comparable scenes

Last edited:

Banned
I just read the pro and x versions are also 1080p. That has to be a mistake, right...?

if it is not I would be REALLY worried if you only have a base Xbox One o_O

because they already said it will run at 60fps on every console (aside from the Switch)
so if One X is 1080p60... the Xbox One will really struggle to even hold 720p

DonJorginho

Banned
I just read this and was gonna make a thread.
You british bastard! :messenger_winking:

This is just another nail in the coffin for Stadia.

Ah should have let the pro make it, my bad brother :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Work is quiet as always so I have all the time in the world to meander aimlessly across the web.

And another pack of ten nails imo, Stadia is not gonna live past 2021 if it carries on this way, they are even giving away 3 months of pro for free!

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
The Googles's products are always FAIL... Is not NEW that Stadia is a piece of garbage.

So the lesson today is never trust in Google products... The best work is the website search tool

and where did YOU read THAT?
I have not seen any news stories about that.
and I highly doubt any of the consoles will use a fixed resolution
I agree. There's no chance in hell any console will have fixed resolution.
I think 1800p is the max possible, but that doesn't mean it's gonna run constantly at that resolution. Dynamic resolution tech.

Flick

Banned
I agree. There's no chance in hell any console will have fixed resolution.
I think 1800p is the max possible, but that doesn't mean it's gonna run constantly at that resolution. Dynamic resolution tech.

Uh, Bethesda?

Xbox One X

• DOOM Eternal on Xbox One X will up-sample to 4K (2160p) from 1800p @60 FPS.
  • The Xbox One X version of the game also supports HDR.
PlayStation 4 Pro

• DOOM Eternal on PlayStation 4 Pro will up- sample to 4K (2160p) from 1440p @60 FPS.
  • The PlayStation 4 Pro version also supports HDR.
Xbox One and Xbox One S

• DOOM Eternal on Xbox One and Xbox One S will up-sample to 1080p @60 FPS from 900p.
  • The Xbox One S version of the game also supports HDR.
PlayStation 4

• DOOM Eternal on PlayStation 4 will run at 1080p @60 FPS.
  • The PlayStation 4 version also supports HDR.
Stadia

• DOOM Eternal on Stadia will run at 1080p @60 FPS on HD displays and up-sample to 2160p from 1800p @60 FPS on 4K displays.
  • The Stadia version of the game also supports HDR.

Flick

Banned
and where did YOU read THAT?
I have not seen any news stories about that.
and I highly doubt any of the consoles will use a fixed resolution

It's at least 1800p and will dynamically reach native 4K. No where did I say fixed.

But saying 1080p is crap, its never 1080p on one X.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Brilliant then. And no, that’s what other sites are reporting, “1080p on stadia, X and Pro”. I had a feeling it was wrong.

No need for hostility.

However you also listed there the stadia will run at 1800 and upscale to 4k. So why is everybody reporting otherwise? Very strange. I think a lot of sites are getting this confused.

Last edited:
Uh, Bethesda?

Xbox One X

• The Xbox One X version of the game also supports HDR.
PlayStation 4 Pro

• DOOM Eternal on PlayStation 4 Pro will up- sample to 4K (2160p) from 1440p @60 FPS.
  • The PlayStation 4 Pro version also supports HDR.
Xbox One and Xbox One S

• DOOM Eternal on Xbox One and Xbox One S will up-sample to 1080p @60 FPS from 900p.
  • The Xbox One S version of the game also supports HDR.
PlayStation 4

• DOOM Eternal on PlayStation 4 will run at 1080p @60 FPS.
  • The PlayStation 4 version also supports HDR.
Stadia

• DOOM Eternal on Stadia will run at 1080p @60 FPS on HD displays and up-sample to 2160p from 1800p @60 FPS on 4K displays.
  • The Stadia version of the game also supports HDR.
You on drugs or something, bruv?

1800p is the max and from there they upsample to 4k. That's not native 4k.
When the action heats up let's say resolution drops to 900p, they upsample from 900p to 4k.
That's my understanding of this. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think I am

Last edited:

DonJorginho

Banned

When the action heats up let's say resolution drops to 900p, they upsample from 900p to 4k.
That's my understanding of this. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think I am.

Elektro using British Slang has given me a raging tower of girth.

Banned
they are not mentioning any dynamic scaling on the website.
but I honestly have a hard time believing that.
if that is the case than that's a huge improvement over Doon 2016 which rarely even reached 900p on base Xbox One.

TacosNSalsa

they are not mentioning any dynamic scaling on the website.
but I honestly have a hard time believing that.
if that is the case than that's a huge improvement over Doon 2016 which rarely even reached 900p on base Xbox One.
They don't tend to say that out right , do they? I would guess we'd have to wait for the pixel counters to get it (DF, NXGamer) before we know for sure

Bryank75

Banned
Why have 10.7 Tflops on hand when the compression and transfer etc diminishes the quality way below those values..... it's so inefficient.
Microsoft have the right idea by pairing Xbox One S with streaming, cause you're never going to get 4K equivalent image through streaming or proper 60fps.
It's only good for marketing to people that have no idea how these things work.

Ma-Yuan

They just have a shitty API in the background. I don't believe its the hardware. Also based on the low number of users I think developers are not inclined to invest to much in optimization.

TwoDurans

"Never said I wasn't a hypocrite."
They just have a shitty API in the background. I don't believe its the hardware. Also based on the low number of users I think developers are not inclined to invest to much in optimization.

I think it requires resources to port. Stadia is based on Linux, so no it's not the hardware but it does require some work on their part for optimizing and actually making the game run.

DonJorginho

Banned
Yes it will not be 4K/60FPS. It will be 8K/120FPS on Stadia. Prepare for the awesome power of Doom Eternal on Stadia you ignorant fucking savages

Don't you order me and my Tribe of intellectuals around you big cock swinging mongoloid, Stadia is ACTUALLY hitting 16K/500fps levels never seen before in gaming and technology and has upgraded their TF Power to upwards of 19.43TF.

GOOGLE IS KING.

Virex

Banned
Don't you order me and my Tribe of intellectuals around you big cock swinging mongoloid, Stadia is ACTUALLY hitting 16K/500fps levels never seen before in gaming and technology and has upgraded their TF Power to upwards of 19.43TF.

GOOGLE IS KING.
Listen here mr. Smarty pants. The Stadia can do more than 16K/500fps. Google just knows that the world just isn't ready for more power than that at the moment.

DonJorginho

Banned
Listen here mr. Smarty pants. The Stadia can do more than 16K/500fps. Google just knows that the world just isn't ready for more power than that at the moment.

My Avatar proves that I am a man of levels of IQ never before seen across any race of beings, I am a chosen individual sent by the lords of creation and the council of life across all galaxies and am a prophet of the future of our blessed solar systems.

I can run Doom Eternal through my crusty asscrack at 56K at a whoppping gajillion FPS.

This all runs through the liquid cooling system installed via my Balls2Shaft wiring company which runs on white glacier semenergy instead of your typical power source.

Last edited:

Fbh

B..but the power of no compromise high end PC gaming with no hardware needed!!!

It really didn't.
Framerate was bad and as much as places like Digital Foundry claim "it looks just as good" for some reason, that's only true on paper and ignores the fact that streamed 4K doesn't even come close to actual 4K rendered on local hardware:

NgnzpEM.jpg

ZywyPL

Banned
Truth be told, even 1800p @60 is waaay more that what most PCs out there are capable of. But the input lag will most likely entirely kill Doom's gameplay anyway, so whatever.

Flick

Banned

That's my understanding of this. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think I am

He wrote 1080p

I just read the pro and x versions are also 1080p. That has to be a mistake, right...?

Last edited:

Virex

Banned
My Avatar proves that I am a man of levels of IQ never before seen across any race of beings, I am a chosen individual sent by the lords of creation and the council of life across all galaxies and am a prophet of the future of our blessed solar systems.

I can run Doom Eternal through my crusty asscrack at 56K at a whoppping gajillion FPS.

This all runs through the liquid cooling system installed via my Balls2Shaft wiring company which runs on white glacier semenergy instead of your typical power source.
Okay big man. My rig is cooled with gas mined on the moon Titan and it's also mixed with a solid that is a combination of mountain dew and Doritos. It is also environmentally friendly and even my wife and her boyfriend that are in antifa approve of the cooling solution. It takes high IQ to be able to understand how much it cools my Stadia.

DaGwaphics

Brilliant then. And no, that’s what other sites are reporting, “1080p on stadia, X and Pro”. I had a feeling it was wrong.

No need for hostility.

However you also listed there the stadia will run at 1800 and upscale to 4k. So why is everybody reporting otherwise? Very strange. I think a lot of sites are getting this confused.

I guess people are holding them to the "True 4k", it seems obvious to me that when these companies say 4k they are really saying "however close we can get". LOL

B..but the power of no compromise high end PC gaming with no hardware needed!!!

It really didn't.
Framerate was bad and as much as places like Digital Foundry claim "it looks just as good" for some reason, that's only true on paper and ignores the fact that streamed 4K doesn't even come close to actual 4K rendered on local hardware:

NgnzpEM.jpg

It's impossible (IMO) for streaming to look as good as a local render in a freeze frame. The One X output is uncompressed raw pixels while Stadia is a compressed video stream. You'd hope they wouldn't have to go that muddy, but ....

Seems like there is some inefficiencies in the delivery somewhere. The video compression itself shouldn't cost this much (isn't Stadia like 45% stronger than One X with a better CPU?), maybe it is something they can fix over time. With that said, I think the target of streaming is to be good enough for the masses, not necessarily the king of head-to-heads or the platform of choice for enthusiasts. Anybody have the still above from Xbone or base PS4?

Fbh

It's impossible (IMO) for streaming to look as good as a local render in a freeze frame. The One X output is uncompressed raw pixels while Stadia is a compressed video stream. You'd hope they wouldn't have to go that muddy, but ....

Yeah I know. Which is why I think that just talking about resolution is pretty pointless with streaming services, since steamed 4K and uncompressed 4K are never going to be the same.
I get why google would focus on resolution since the average consumer probably thinks "4K" will always look the same, but I'm still surprised to see places like Digital Foundry with headlines like "looks the same as Xbox one X"....which is simply not true.

Sadly I don't have the same shot taken from a base Ps4 or Xb1. Though I wouldn't be surprised if despite the lower resolution they still look as good or better.

Top Bottom