• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch 2 Can Run BOTW at 4K Res, 60 FPS; May Be Capable of Better Ray Tracing Than PS5/Xbox Series X

Bernoulli

M2 slut
Speaking in a new video shared on YouTube, NateTheHate, who proved to be a reliable leaker and insider in the past, revealed how the new Nintendo console was capable of running The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild at 4K resolution, 60 frames per second using NVIDIA DLSS upscaling technology. Additionally, the tech demo had no load times at all, which sounds even more interesting than the console being able to run the demo at high resolution and smooth framerate.

In the video, NateTheHate also talked about the Matrix Awakens Unreal Engine 5 demo running on Nintendo Switch 2, which apparently ran with better ray tracing than PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series but without ray reconstruction, which was introduced in NVIDIA DLSS 3.5, which isn't surprising, considering a report from last week did say that the Matrix Awakens demo ran with DLSS 3.1 instead of the new version of the tech. Lastly, NateTheHate revealed that March 2024 is being chattered a lot about the console, though it is not yet clear if that is the window for the official reveal or launch.

Last edited:
tonight GIF

IAmRei

I dont know if this will be true, but if its true, it would be awesome. Nyway, im worried about battery if its true...

BlackTron

BOTW run not that good on Switch in 1080p 30 fps with drops but yeah, Switch 2 is going to do 4x better... Hahahahahah

Switch 1 was made with old 2015 parts Nvidia had laying around, and was made as a WiiU game.

I think 8 years of tech advancements by Nvidia shouldn't make this so blatantly laughable. Maybe it isn't quite good enough to smoothly run TOTK at 4k, that's why they demo BOTW. Who knows.

If it's so good then why not reveal it? It's not like they have competition for a hybrid console.

They don't want to compete with themselves. They have one more xmas to sell Switch 1 before telling the world to stop buying it. Sales are already slowing, their job is to clear out as many as they can, not tell everyone to wait

Nintendo handheld and console in essence can be summer up as 'powerful but underclocked for [insert reason]" reason being either to enhance a feature gimmick or battery life

gothmog

Gold Member
They don't want to compete with themselves. They have one more xmas to sell Switch 1 before telling the world to stop buying it. Sales are already slowing, their job is to clear out as many as they can, not tell everyone to wait
There has been rampant speculation on a new switch for two years. I don't think announcing another one is coming with no launch date is going to do much to hinder sales. If you message it right and maybe throw in a price cut it could actually get sales to pick up.

Switch 1 was made with old 2015 parts Nvidia had laying around, and was made as a WiiU game.

I think 8 years of tech advancements by Nvidia shouldn't make this so blatantly laughable. Maybe it isn't quite good enough to smoothly run TOTK at 4k, that's why they demo BOTW. Who knows.

AMD Z1 Extreme is 100% way more powerfull than the next switch 2 and this chip is for sure incapable of running game in 4K/60 fps even with DLSS...

jayj

Banned
Anyone else feel like a Switch 2 could make a Switch OLED a redundant purchase for someone who already has a rev 1 or 2 Switch? I mean I got both a rev 1 and 2, and I held off on the OLED because it didn't do anything to improve the performance. I usually buy the final versions of a console before they end production, but it seems like the Switch 2 will be fully backwards compatible with the existing Switch library and enhance the performance of many Switch titles.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
This is retarded. Use your brain. No 2-4 tflops Nvidia GPU beats out 10-12 tflops RDNA gpus in ray tracing. Even with DLSS. Just stop.

Alex even tried to make the 7 tflops RTX 2060 super comparisons stick but that lasted maybe two games. Lumen RT is literally 1:1 with nvidia and AMD tflops. So UE5 games on the switch will perform like the series s at best. Blocky, blurry 480p messes.

Last edited:
AMD Z1 Extreme is 100% way more powerfull than the next switch 2 and this chip is for sure incapable of running game in 4K/60 fps even with DLSS...
How can you say that when we don't even have 100% confirmation on the SoC configuration that will be put into the Switch 2? And that off the shelf laptop chip is dogshit at the ultra-low power the Switch is operating in portable mode 6-10W. It's even being beaten by the Zen 2/RDNA 2 APU that's in Steam Deck at the slightly higher 15W TDP.

Last edited:
I could see this. The Xbox Series S was $299 back when it launched and is capable of UE5 and that was from 2020. Will be very nice too see Nintendo finally be almost or close too on same level as current gen Series X and PS5 systems.

Nintendo systems are always cheaper than the other 2. I can see it match the Series S for $299 or perhaps maybe by the time it release it would be more expensive, because I am assuming the Series S will go down in price by Holiday 2024 to like $199 while the Switch 2 launches at $299.

Now the question is

- Battery Life
- Launch Titles
- Price
- Release Date
- BC Capablities or Not

Last edited:

BlackTron

I could see this. The Xbox Series S was $299 back when it launched and is capable of UE5 and that was from 2020. Will be very nice too see Nintendo finally be almost or close too on same level as current gen Series X and PS5 systems.

Now the question is

- Battery Life
- Launch Titles
- Price
- Release Date
- BC Capablities or Not

Meh. Being able to play a Wii U game at 4k doesn't really put it near current consoles level.

We can get a PS2 to drive 4k if you want to output a repeating 32x32 jpeg of a rubber ducky

How can you say that when we don't even have 100% confirmation on the SoC configuration that will be put into the Switch 2? And that off the shelf laptop chip is dogshit at the ultra-low power the Switch is operating in portable mode 6-10W. It's even being beaten by the Zen 2/RDNA 2 APU that's in Steam Deck at the slightly higher 15W TDP.

Maybe because it's the most powerful portable gaming chip available and already costs a lot of money? To believe that Nvidia is going to pull out an incredible madness out of nowhere and sell it for a pittance, you really have to wake up...

Solidus_T

This is retarded. Use your brain. No 2-4 tflops Nvidia GPU beats out 10-12 tflops RDNA gpus in ray tracing. Even with DLSS. Just stop.

Alex even tried to make the 7 tflops RTX 2060 super comparisons stick but that lasted maybe two games. Lumen RT is literally 1:1 with nvidia and AMD tflops. So UE5 games on the switch will perform like the series s at best. Blocky, blurry 480p messes.
Maybe they mean to say that it will display PS5 and XSX graphics, but at 480p or lower resolutions! :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Seriously, I am waiting to see what it actually looks like. I have serious doubts every time I see a claim that it runs games with PS5 graphics or at high resolution. I even doubt that it will do 1080p smoothly unless it's 600+ USD.

Meh. Being able to play a Wii U game at 4k doesn't really put it near current consoles level.

We can get a PS2 to drive 4k if you want to output a repeating 32x32 jpeg of a rubber ducky
You must have selective reading or something. I did not mention anything about Breath of the Wild. I said that the Series S is capable of doing UE5 at $299 back from 2020. I didn't even mention anything about resolution. Did you quote the right person?

Elios83

Lol people are going to be so disappointed if they start believing these bullshit leakers instead of using common sense.

It will be a base PS4 level system with a better CPU helped my modern features like DLSS which will be used to hide the low internal resolutions + some basic ray tracing effects.

Last edited:
AMD hardware is shit at ray tracing whereas Nvidia hardware isn’t. I wouldn’t be surprised in the slightest if it had better ray tracing performance than Series X or PS5 with the help of DLSS.

Normal performance outside of ray tracing? That’ll be another thing I’m sure. There’s no way a handheld will be able to keep up with those two devices.

Also isn’t BoTW a last generation game? I’d hope that the next Nintendo console can run it at a high resolution and frame rate.

MadPanda

Banned

Nintendo systems are always cheaper than the other 2. I can see it match the Series S for $299 or perhaps maybe by the time it release it would be more expensive, because I am assuming the Series S will go down in price by Holiday 2024 to like $199 while the Switch 2 launches at $299.

Now the question is

- Battery Life
- Launch Titles
- Price
- Release Date
- BC Capablities or Not
Series s is 165w tdp. Switch 2 needs to be 15w tdp.

Hudo

He is the same guy who said we switch would get Zelda remasters wiiu got, right?
Yep. And who also was one of the guys who kept saying that the Switch Pro was a thing. And when it turned out to be just the OLED revision, he gaslighted people. So, yeah. Nate gets some stuff right but also some stuff really wrong.

Top Bottom