• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch 2 Can Run BOTW at 4K Res, 60 FPS; May Be Capable of Better Ray Tracing Than PS5/Xbox Series X

Robb

Gold Member
That doesn’t sound hard to believe nor very impressive imo..

Last edited:

Tripolygon

Banned
BOTW run not that good on Switch in 1080p 30 fps with drops but yeah, Switch 2 is going to do 4x better... Hahahahahah
It makes sense.

Switch
Docked: 256 x 2 x 0.768 = ~393.2 GFlops
Undocked boost: 256 x 2 x 0.378 = ~193.5 GFlops
Undocked: 256 x 2 x 0.3072 = ~157.3 GFlops

Switch 2: Rumored Spec using Switch clocks.

Docked: 2048 x 2 x 0.768 = 3TF
Undocked boost: 2048 x 2 x 0.378 = 1.5TF
Undocked: 2048 x 2 x 0.307 = 1.2TF

10x Switch GPU performance accounting for architectural improvements since Tegra maxwell. Now add on top of that DLSS that is being rumored to have. Let's assume they are using the more mature 6nm fabrication, it allows for an efficient chip that draws roughly 10W of power.

Let's put it in perspective.

Snapdragon 8 gen 2 can run Genshin Impact at native 4K 30fps drawing 9W power.

Christian Bale GIF by PeacockTV

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
Yeah remember that from before the Switch release?

So that was bullshit, just like the rumors that it was more powerful than ps4 or X1.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
BOTW run not that good on Switch in 1080p 30 fps with drops but yeah, Switch 2 is going to do 4x better... Hahahahahah

8x better actually. 4K is 4x the resolution of 1080p, and then twice the framerate on top of that. But yeah, this is probably upscaled from 1080p or so, which means it's actually only rendering twice the pixels per second (but DLSS isn't free, so it's still doing more than twice the work).

Edit: BOTW is actually 900p on Switch, so probably a bit more than 2x. But yeah.

Last edited:
Is it even possible to make something as good as the leaks suggest within the confines of size, battery life, and making profit on hardware Nintendo has chosen to follow?

Last time I was caught up in the hype cycle was with Silicon Graphics and Ultra 64. Never again.

It makes sense.

Switch
Docked: 256 x 2 x 0.768 = ~393.2 GFlops
Undocked boost: 256 x 2 x 0.378 = ~193.5 GFlops
Undocked: 256 x 2 x 0.3072 = ~157.3 GFlops

Switch 2: Rumored Spec using Switch clocks.

Docked: 2048 x 2 x 0.768 = 3TF
Undocked boost: 2048 x 2 x 0.378 = 1.5TF
Undocked: 2048 x 2 x 0.307 = 1.2TF

10x Switch GPU performance accounting for architectural improvements since Tegra maxwell. Now add on top of that DLSS that is being rumored to have. Let's assume they are using the more mature 6nm fabrication, it allows for an efficient chip that draws roughly 10W of power.

Let's put it in perspective.

Snapdragon 8 gen 2 can run Genshin Impact at native 4K 30fps drawing 9W power.

This comparison is non-sense, Genshin impact is a low GPU dependant game, the game is made to run on extremely low power hardware... BOTW is way more demanding, maybe 10x more demanding...

diffusionx

Gold Member
Is it even possible to make something as good as the leaks suggest within the confines of size, battery life, and making profit on hardware Nintendo has chosen to follow?

Last time I was caught up in the hype cycle was with Silicon Graphics and Ultra 64. Never again.
Nvidia may decide to take a little bit less of a vig as it would be a great way to push RT and DLSS (as opposed to FSR) on more devs.

The fact is that this tech is years-old at this point. It's just that the advancement has been frustratingly slow largely because Nvidia is pricing their cards astronomically and stringing them out for way too long (we should be on 5xxx if not 6xxx by now).

Robb

Gold Member
Kind of depends on how much free heavy lifting they can get from the DLSS stuff I guess. We should get a pretty good bump up from the Switch either way.

I’m not sure how the tech works but my impression is that the use of DLSS wouldn’t put additional strain on the system and, in turn, battery (?). So you get “fake” high performance, or whatever you want to call it.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb

AFAIK the closest equivalent to PS5’s GPU is the RX6700 (non XT) which is a little behind RTX 3060 in ray tracing. So exceeding that isn’t TOO far fetched.

As for BotW at 4K60, that too isn’t so far fetched if it’s rendering internally at 1080p and upscaling with DLSS.

So I’d say it’s plausible, although you are wise not to get your hopes up too high just yet

Sleepwalker

Im not sure I believe it but I could see 720p upscaled to 1080 or at most 1440p. I dont think Nintendos next console will do 4k at all.

Remember they will target $299 or $399 at most, Nintendo wont take a loss on hardware.

Z1 exreme devices start at $699
Valve makes up for any hardware loss via their store.
All these chinese handhelds arent this powerful and are $1k+

DLSS is great but it doesnt do miracles.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Im not sure I believe it but I could see 720p upscaled to 1080 or at most 1440p. I dont think Nintendos next console will do 4k at all.

Remember they will target $299 or $399 at most, Nintendo wont take a loss on hardware.

Z1 exreme devices start at $699
Valve makes up for any hardware loss via their store.
All these chinese handhelds arent this powerful and are $1k+

DLSS is great but it doesnt do miracles.
DLSS ultra performance mode at 4K is rendering internally at 720p. Yeah I doubt there will be many games rendering natively at 4K, but with DLSS it’s not far fetched at all to expect a 4K output.

JordiENP

Clearly by reading some comments people here don't know shit about tech. The 1650 can do that on cemu, 4k 60fps we are talking about an emulator. And that's a very old GPU with a very old architecture that doesn't support dlss. Now Nintendo will have a modern chip with modern technology and developed by Nvidia.

The switch 2 by default will support FSR 3, Dlss and Nintendo's own method.

Sleepwalker

DLSS ultra performance mode at 4K is rendering internally at 720p. Yeah I doubt there will be many games rendering natively at 4K, but with DLSS it’s not far fetched at all to expect a 4K output.
Fair enough, actually for switch 1 games I can see them being upscaled very nice to 4k and even 60fps for sure.

Where I'm more skeptical is the claims about better perfomance than the current consoles. I think at most we could expect series S like performance when docked and after DLSS.

Unless their next console is a home console lol, in that case it will 100% be more powerful than current consoles and it would be hilarious.

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
If they can give me at least 1440p image quality or better with 60fps in TOTK I'll be very happy. I honesty think they should make the system $500 and go all in on the mobile tech.

T4keD0wN

Sure, a 15-25w handheld will outperform 200w+ consoles. Cant he put in more effort and at least make up something that sounds semiplausible?

Last edited:

Gojiira

Pleaseeeee…So we’re to believe a portable console will be running 4k 60fps with better high end effects like Ray Tracing than the dedicated home consoles? No,just no.
Now it running something as graphically unimpressive as BotW at 4k/60 sure, its possible. But if people are expecting Forbidden West level visuals pushing ‘better’ ray tracing at 4k/60, no just no.

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
So not at 4k as DLSS is not native 4k.

At the same resolutions and frame rates?
No, lower res + DLSS.

That's the whole point of NVidia, the DLSS. You can render stuff at 1080p and DLSS it to 4K.

I don't get why people in this thread think Switch 2 will outperform PSX. It won't, it'll be comparible thru DLSS.

JordiENP

i am sorry, but even the most efficient lovelace card will not outperform 6600xt-6700xt when limited below 30w.
Not when you have Dlss, which works miles better than FSR. Also you're forgetting the switch runs at lower clocks on handheld than docked, so the next one will definitely do the same. Just like games run at lower resolution with lower settings handheld than docked, I expect the next one to do the same.

Obviously will not be as powerful because of the form factor, but the tech is just better.

Fbh

It's not going to be native 4K, just upscaled.
TotK is 900p 30fps on Switch, it doesn't sound crazy that the Switch 2 version could run it at like 1080p 60fps. Then they just upscale it with DLSS and it's technically "4K 60fps".

It's no different than all these recent games claiming to be 1440p but it's actually like 720p with FSR2.0

Fake

Richard Leadbetter is kicking off some cold water to the Nintendo fanboys getting delusional about Nintendo Switch 2.

Comparable ≠ Possible

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member
Sure, a 15-25w handheld will outperform 200w+ consoles. Cant he put in more effort and at least make up something that sounds semiplausible?
Pleaseeeee…So we’re to believe a portable console will be running 4k 60fps with better high end effects like Ray Tracing than the dedicated home consoles? No,just no.
Now it running something as graphically unimpressive as BotW at 4k/60 sure, its possible. But if people are expecting Forbidden West level visuals pushing ‘better’ ray tracing at 4k/60, no just no.
You both overstated what was said by quite an extend lol

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
not gonna be hard to be better than the consoles at Raytracing with NVIDIA behind the chip.

I hope it can do tears of the kingdom at 60FPS

Xellos

4k/60 for BotW using DLSS seems possible. Original Switch ran BotW 720-900p and could have had a pretty solid lock on 30fps if it had more memory bandwidth. I think Switch 2 would have enough headroom for 60fps and DLSS to 4k on a Switch 1 game. The comment about fast loading time is encouraging as well.

Not sure about ray tracing beating XSX/PS5 but only because Switch 2 is going to be a low-power mobile device. If Nintendo/Nvidia decide to implement ray tracing on Switch 2, it would punch well above its weight compared to XSX/PS5. Nvidia has better GPU for ray tracing than AMD and DLSS is better than FSR2 when starting from lower resolutions. I would want ray tracing just for Luigi's Mansion 4 with Luigi's flashlight and the ghosts.

zeldaring

Banned
People should watch some videos of fsr2 vs dsll.3 they are basically the same tech except one does a better job but by no means is fsr.2 bad. Cyberpunk and dead space both use it, and switch will be around 2.5 teralflops it's not coming close to even series S. FSR.2 is still gonna beat dsll easily because of the raw power difference and the higher resolution difference.

Last edited:

sinnergy

They might be trying to ensure that they can get satisfactory ports of PS5/Series X games running on there system.
They don’t really care is my bet .. switch had enough ports that worked good enough . Nintendo cares about running their own games with their vision. And what that hardware needs at a affordable price max 349.99.

Last edited:
Top Bottom