• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch 2 Can Run BOTW at 4K Res, 60 FPS; May Be Capable of Better Ray Tracing Than PS5/Xbox Series X

Boy bawang

Nothing new or surprising if you've been paying attention since March 2022.

I anticipate a lot of Harold hide the pain once this console releases, and that won't be from Nintendo fans.
Don't worry console warriors, your big boy console will still be more powerful, but the next switch will be good enough at tricking your brain.

zeldaring

Banned
Ah I've found that part.

Yes that could potentially happen, although in this case we already know a lot of the specs from the Nvidia leak.
Honestly the demo useless. its all gonna depend how everything works when put together. you had unreal 4 demo on tegra and switch was a generation behind ps4 but from the demo you think ah ok lower resolution and some missing effects. another thing is I don't even want ray tracing on current gen it's useless feature because consoles are just not powerful enough.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
The Switch has been such a complete turd of a system since day 1 that I have a hard time believing any of these optimistic takes... but man do I want to. I'd really love a piece of Nintendo hardware that's up to snuff with the actual games and doesn't hold them back.

Puscifer

Right
Bullshit You Lie GIF by Travis
Even if it has the power of a 2000 RTX that means it technically does have better RT performance as the 6000 series is barely there

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
At this point, at this week, just reveal the thing. There is so much fumes come out of everywhere, it is very Nintendo to test people's patience haha.

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
Seems like in this thread people don't understand that running 4K doesn't mean natively. It's prob DLSS.

Nintendo games also lend themselves really well to DLSS, because they are usually less "real" and more "abstract" in color, which can prob help image quality.

Woopah

Honestly the demo useless. its all gonna depend how everything works when put together. you had unreal 4 demo on tegra and switch was a generation behind ps4 but from the demo you think ah ok lower resolution and some missing effects. another thing is I don't even want ray tracing on current gen it's useless feature because consoles are just not powerful enough.
Pretty useless for us. But developers it will be pretty useful to know what Switch 2 can and cannot do. Which was the whole point of the demonstration.

BlackTron

I am not that stupid to be basing predictions on ancient games that were released 2 generations ago. I am more interested about whether Switch 2 is able to run UE5 capable titles and how well it can rn them. If Switch 2 can run UE5 games, then it will be a nice change of pace for Nintendo. UE5 has really nice lighting thanks to Lumen.

As far as the resolutions goes I expect 1080 as the bare minimum, I am not sure if Switch 2 will do 4K. It will 100% NOT do 4K native, but maybe DLSS upscaled. BotW was still running at 900p on the Switch, I believe it's time Nintendo gets into the 4 digit native resolutions.

My point is, there is no reason Nintendo cannot do a UE5 capable machine in the year 2024 after the Series S was released and retailed at $299 in 2020. There is no way Switch 2 will be costing less than $299. But then again Nintendo is going to Nintendo, they are very unpredictable. So who knows.

You might have a typo somewhere, you said you are 100% sure it will not do 4k native (cogent) but then say you believe it's time Nintendo gets into 4k native res? (Unless you think they ought to, but not that they are going to).

The Series S can help us get a bit of a feel but there are a ton of caveats there, biggest one being console vs handheld. I mean we can still glean things from that comparison, while being aware it's an apple vs. an orange.

The longer it takes to come out, and the higher the price, the better that is for us because the better it locks in the base specs for the whole next gen. I think they can get away with a higher price this time, say $349 or even MAYBE $399 if they REALLY kill it with hardware and games at launch. When Switch launched, they were coming from a failed system and needed to get a fucking product into people's hands. This time, they are in a position of strength, can make something they are confident people will want, and can continue to sell Switch 1 software until people can afford it (the same way you play PS4 till you can afford the PS5 you drool over). However if it comes out at 399 there will be price drops over its lifespan this time. Whatever it takes to lock in a decent hardware from the start.

Edit: One more thing. Don't forget this is the first Nintendo console launch with their new CEO, and using a modern design from Nvidia, not their old pinball machine parts. "Nintendo gonna Nintendo" may not apply as much as it used to

Last edited:

zeldaring

Banned
Pretty useless for us. But developers it will be pretty useful to know what Switch 2 can and cannot do. Which was the whole point of the demonstration.
what did the unreal 4 demo for tegra? and even worse you can't look at what a console can or can't do looking at a targeted spec demo lol.

You might have a typo somewhere, you said you are 100% sure it will not do 4k native (cogent) but then say you believe it's time Nintendo gets into 4k native res? (Unless you think they ought to, but not that they are going to).

The Series S can help us get a bit of a feel but there are a ton of caveats there, biggest one being console vs handheld. I mean we can still glean things from that comparison, while being aware it's an apple vs. an orange.

The longer it takes to come out, and the higher the price, the better that is for us because the better it locks in the base specs for the whole next gen. I think they can get away with a higher price this time, say $349 or even MAYBE $399 if they REALLY kill it with hardware and games at launch. When Switch launched, they were coming from a failed system and needed to get a fucking product into people's hands. This time, they are in a position of strength, can make something they are confident people will want, and can continue to sell Switch 1 software until people can afford it (the same way you play PS4 till you can afford the PS5 you drool over). However if it comes out at 399 there will be price drops over its lifespan this time. Whatever it takes to lock in a decent hardware from the start.
You misread completely what I was trying to say.

I said I am 100% sure Switch 2 is NOT doing 4K Native, BUT it will most likely be in 4 DIGIT native (MEANING 4 DIGITS of whatever that resolution is) I mentioned that BoTW is 900p on Switch, that is 3 DIGITS. So 4 digits means 1000p or ABOVE. 4 Digits means 4 numbers NATIVE, NOT 4K native...

4k native is 3840x2160
4 digit native would be 1000p or above (and not 900p anymore like BotW is, re-read what I said, you have horrendous reading comprehension)

I am not sure if Nintendo will do $399. they never sell their consoles at a loss so why change that now? PS5 Pro will be out by that time (assuming rumors are true) and will most likely replace the standard PS5 and cost $499 and the PS5 will now be $399 or $349. Max I see for switch is $349 not above.

Last edited:

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
I am not sure if Nintendo will do $399. they never sell their consoles at a loss so why change that now? PS5 Pro will be out by that time (assuming rumors are true) and will most likely replace the standard PS5 and cost $499 and the PS5 will now be $399 or $349. Max I see for switch is $349 not above.
They are selling the OLED, which only has a new screen and kick-stand, at 350. And it's selling really well.

The Switch 2 will be 399. People also thought Switch was too much at 299.

They are selling the OLED, which only has a new screen and kick-stand, at 350. And it's selling really well.

Nintendo could make the Switch 2 $1000 and it will still sell. My point is that they never set prices where they lose out on revenue.

People who thought $300 was too much for Switch are lazy cunts and need to learn something called saving up and work.

Last edited:

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
Nintendo could make the Switch 2 $1000 and it will still sell. My point is that they never set prices where they lose out on revenue.

People who thought $300 was too much for Switch are lazy cunts and need to learn something called saving up and work.
Nah, 1000 is too much. Nintendo needs to position it as a new console at a good price, while the original Switch keeps selling.

And I think people do expect to pay more for stuff these days because of inflation.

Woopah

what did the unreal 4 demo for tegra? and even worse you can't look at what a console can or can't do looking at a targeted spec demo lol.
Are you referring to this tech demo? -

If so, they explain some of the features that they are demonstrating at the end of the video.

Nah, 1000 is too much. Nintendo needs to position it as a new console at a good price, while the original Switch keeps selling.

And I think people do expect to pay more for stuff these days because of inflation.
No shit its too much, my point was to say that the Nintendo fans buy everything and anything that Nintendo makes regardless of price. But if they want to keep making revenue on consoles sales it cannot be super low.

Remember what happened with 3DS and Wii U?
No and don't care for them. They were horrible systems that are now irrelevant. Make a shitty product - poor sales is not a surprise. Why do people keep trying to do these "gotcha" moments on here? You just make yourself look worse and desperate.

Last edited:

BlackTron

OK when you said 4 digit I thought you meant 4k, just reading quickly here. But I don't understand why having a higher price equates to selling at a loss? If anything it just means N can give us better hardware without sacrificing a margin on HW sales? I was thinking the same thing, OLED is just a potato Switch and that sells for $350. $50 more for a Switch 2 that plays Matrix 2 demo doesn't seem a stretch to me. HOWEVER I do think it would be more susceptible to price cuts and HW revisions than OG Switch. $399 would just be opening salvo then they pivot based on reaction
No and don't care for them. They were horrible systems that are now irrelevant. Make a shitty product - poor sales is not a surprise. Why do people keep trying to do these "gotcha" moments on here? You just make yourself look worse and desperate.
That's the entire point, you don't care for them and are irrelevant. So apparently Nintendo can't just do whatever they want.

zeldaring

Banned
Are you referring to this tech demo? -

If so, they explain some of the features that they are demonstrating at the end of the video.

Yea i get that it explains features but they don't really know what they can and can't do till they start developing for it. we all know the new GPU will have the latest features, just like the tegra did but many games weren't feasible. only thing is might surprise is frame generation but thats 95% not gonna be in switch 2.

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
They disprove your point though. 3DS especially, which mind you is a fantastic system.

It had a too high price and Nintendo had to cut it by a lot early on because it wasn’t selling. That worked and it ended up selling +70M units.

Last edited:
Is is really that hard to believe it can run BOTW at 4K? BOTW is a WiiU game and DLSS is a thing.
Nope, not at all from what I've seen. The game is basically void of detailed textures.

This is really cool news though if it's true. Nintendo may finally be in the same realm as the other top dogs, resolution and framerate wise.

Woopah

Because if "Nintendo fans buy anything" then the Wii U would not have been a huge failure.

What I am supposed to be "desperate" for exactly?
Yea i get that it explains features but they don't really know what they can and can't do till they start developing for it. we all know the new GPU will have the latest features, just like the tegra did but many games weren't feasible. only thing is might surprise is frame generation but thats 95% not gonna be in switch 2.
It's a first step. Nintendo shows the tech demos, explains some of the features, and then tells the attendees how to apply for a dev kit.

Last edited:

zeldaring

Banned
Because if "Nintendo fans buy anything" then the Wii U would not have been a huge failure.

What I am supposed to be "desperate" for exactly?

It's a first step. Nintendo shows the tech demos, explains some of the features, and then tells the attendees how to apply for a dev kit.
yea i suppose. funny enough we are getting the same reactions now from the unreal 5 demo w demo you just posted people expected ps4 like graphics and it didn't happen i see the history repeating itself. I think it will be a steam deck 1.5 which would still be amazing.

Switch 1 was made with old 2015 parts Nvidia had laying around, and was made as a WiiU game.

I think 8 years of tech advancements by Nvidia shouldn't make this so blatantly laughable. Maybe it isn't quite good enough to smoothly run TOTK at 4k, that's why they demo BOTW. Who knows.

They don't want to compete with themselves. They have one more xmas to sell Switch 1 before telling the world to stop buying it. Sales are already slowing, their job is to clear out as many as they can, not tell everyone to wait

Please Nintendo just beat the PS2. This may be your one shot.

Interfectum

yea i suppose. funny enough we are getting the same reactions now from the unreal 5 demo w demo you just posted people expected ps4 like graphics and it didn't happen i see the history repeating itself. I think it will be a steam deck 1.5 which would still be amazing.
It's going to be interesting to compare a Switch 2 to all of these handheld PCs that may or may not have better raw specs. IMO, built in DLSS and a dedicated SDK will still boost a Switch 2 well above current portable PCs even if they have comparable hardware in regards to game performance and battery life.

Last edited:

Woopah

Yes I think people have to remember that a tech demo is not a game, especially something like the UE4 one which doesn't have any interactivity.

Just because the matrix demo can run on it doesn't mean that actual Switch 2 games will look like that.

The BOTW demo is a bit different though since that actually is a game.

zeldaring

Banned
It's going to be interesting to compare a Switch 2 to all of these portable PCs that may or may not have better raw specs. IMO, built in DLSS and a dedicated SDK will still boost a Switch 2 well above current portable PCs even if they have comparable hardware in regards to game performance and battery life.
DLSS is already built in with tensor cores. It's a upscaler with ai i don't see how they can keep improve it more for switch 2. they already keep improving it with updated versions.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Even if it’s just 1080p 60fps for Zelda docked and undocked I would be over the moon.

This device if it has backwards compatibility AND takes old titles to improve them would be a day one for me. Like ToTK I’m putting off completing the last two dungeons just in case they announce switch 2 will run it at 60fps. Would be so hyped.

Xenoblade series and Zelda at 60fps would be the easiest sale of Nintendo’s life for me to get their console.

Interfectum

DLSS is already built in with tensor cores. It's a upscaler with ai i don't see how they can keep improve it more for switch 2. they already keep improving it with updated versions.
I'm talking about handheld PCs on the market right now. They are all AMD.

zeldaring

Banned
Yes I think people have to remember that a tech demo is not a game, especially something like the UE4 one which doesn't have any interactivity.

Just because the matrix demo can run on it doesn't mean that actual Switch 2 games will look like that.

The BOTW demo is a bit different though since that actually is a game.
yea and honestly unless BOTW add ray tracing. series S would easily run it 4k/60fps with out a upscaler.

StereoVsn

DLSS in docked mode I could see it. It's going to be a much newer and more powerful chipset witb faster memory and modern features.

Note, rendering res wasn't mentioned and it's probably going to be 1080p.

blacktout

Yeah.. We'll see about that. Keep your expectations in check 😅

I can see your point, but, honestly, fuck it, I hope expectations run wild.

The more hyped people get, the more fun the discourse is going to be. These new console hype cycles are relatively rare, so we might as well cherish the insanity while we can.

Also, not to sound too cynical, but if these rumors turn out to be bullshit, the meltdowns will be epic, and if they turn out to be true ... the meltdowns will be really epic.

It makes perfect sense to me. They will want to show developers that the console can run UE5 and that it can run open world games with good loading/resolution/frame rate.

What do you think they would show developers instead?
A special demo that showcases best capabilities of the device I suppose. Never saw Nintendo ran out of ideas about showcasing something made in-house.

At what resolution though. Probably is running internally at 480p for all we know, if the rumour is true that is. If not, the Switch 2 is either the size of a brick and producers enough heat to fry your hands or it has a battery of 5 minutes. I think the main issue however is cost. There is no way in hell they will be able to sell this thing for less than $500.

zeldaring

Banned
I can see your point, but, honestly, fuck it, I hope expectations run wild.

The more hyped people get, the more fun the discourse is going to be. These new console hype cycles are relatively rare, so we might as well cherish the insanity while we can.

Also, not to sound too cynical, but if these rumors turn out to be bullshit, the meltdowns will be epic, and if they turn out to be true ... the meltdowns will be really epic.
i love it. it's like betting on UFC or sports. for the past 3 gens hype Rumors of Nintendo hardware have been epic fails lol.

Tripolygon

Banned
Most modern high-end mobile SoCs have hardware accelerated raytracing and machine learning acceleration hardware. It is very plausible that Switch 2 has support for both.

Top Bottom