• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch 2 Can Run BOTW at 4K Res, 60 FPS; May Be Capable of Better Ray Tracing Than PS5/Xbox Series X

Kamina

Golden Boy
Remember to take everything that dude says with a grain of salt.
salt seasalt GIF by Cimsal

Inanilmaz

Well see how plays put. I honestly think switch got a massive boost cause of covid and free money. With parents buying it for their children. Playstation and switch have a different audience. Online gamers ain't gonna wanna switch for inferior hardware and inferior online experience.
Man.. covid and animal crossing that duo was a crazy boost! Probably a 30Million+ boost. Ngl it was pretty fun tho.

BlackTron

Well see how plays put. I honestly think switch got a massive boost cause of covid and free money. With parents buying it for their children. Playstation and switch have a different audience. Online gamers ain't gonna wanna switch for inferior hardware and inferior online experience.

It's definitely true, COVID massively helped Switch, but it also helped all platforms, and it wasn't critical to its success either, Switch stood on its own pre-Covid and got the same boost the other systems did, MS did very nicely with Series S as well, the only loser was PS because they couldn't make enough PS5 systems but people just got more PS4 games in lieu of that

I just looked it up and your value for switch is far off by around 100%. Its close to 0.4 terraflops. Having 4 times the ress and double the fps is gonna be hard.
This has already been mentioned multiple times before here and in other places since the leaks have started gaining traction. Switch 2 will most likely render games natively at 1080p and then upscale them to 4k via DLSS.
So when people say 4K they actually mean 4K DLSS Performance, which is totally doable, btw.

Last edited:

zeldaring

Banned
It's definitely true, COVID massively helped Switch, but it also helped all platforms, and it wasn't critical to its success either, Switch stood on its own pre-Covid and got the same boost the other systems did, MS did very nicely with Series S as well, the only loser was PS because they couldn't make enough PS5 systems but people just got more PS4 games in lieu of that
yea but switch was in its prime, ps4 and xbox got a big boost as well, but they were at the end of a cycle with nextgen consoles coming.

BlackTron

yea but switch was in its prime, ps4 and xbox got a big boost as well, but they were at the end of a cycle with nextgen consoles coming.

Nextgen consoles weren't coming, they came. Covid is arguably the only reason MS even had 15 minutes of fame with Series S. Otherwise, Sony may have had enough systems to faceplant them out of the gate. You can't downplay the effect of Covid on the other 2 because they were on the tail end and Switch was "in its Prime". Major events happened and all 3 balance sheets exploded then

It makes sense.

Switch
Docked: 256 x 2 x 0.768 = ~393.2 GFlops
Undocked boost: 256 x 2 x 0.378 = ~193.5 GFlops
Undocked: 256 x 2 x 0.3072 = ~157.3 GFlops

Switch 2: Rumored Spec using Switch clocks.

Docked: 2048 x 2 x 0.768 = 3TF
Undocked boost: 2048 x 2 x 0.378 = 1.5TF
Undocked: 2048 x 2 x 0.307 = 1.2TF

10x Switch GPU performance accounting for architectural improvements since Tegra maxwell. Now add on top of that DLSS that is being rumored to have. Let's assume they are using the more mature 6nm fabrication, it allows for an efficient chip that draws roughly 10W of power.

Let's put it in perspective.

Snapdragon 8 gen 2 can run Genshin Impact at native 4K 30fps drawing 9W power.

Dancin__Anime_Mix_500K.gif

zeldaring

Banned
Nextgen consoles weren't coming, they came. Covid is arguably the only reason MS even had 15 minutes of fame with Series S. Otherwise, Sony may have had enough systems to faceplant them out of the gate. You can't downplay the effect of Covid on the other 2 because they were on the tail end and Switch was "in its Prime". Major events happened and all 3 balance sheets exploded then
That's true but ps5 was sold for like 2 years lol like you said that was a huge miss for them. i see all console sales dropping with switch 2 and ps5 doing around 100 million tops.

It makes sense.

Switch
Docked: 256 x 2 x 0.768 = ~393.2 GFlops
Undocked boost: 256 x 2 x 0.378 = ~193.5 GFlops
Undocked: 256 x 2 x 0.3072 = ~157.3 GFlops

Switch 2: Rumored Spec using Switch clocks.

Docked: 2048 x 2 x 0.768 = 3TF
Undocked boost: 2048 x 2 x 0.378 = 1.5TF
Undocked: 2048 x 2 x 0.307 = 1.2TF

10x Switch GPU performance accounting for architectural improvements since Tegra maxwell. Now add on top of that DLSS that is being rumored to have. Let's assume they are using the more mature 6nm fabrication, it allows for an efficient chip that draws roughly 10W of power.

Let's put it in perspective.

Snapdragon 8 gen 2 can run Genshin Impact at native 4K 30fps drawing 9W power.

Where are you pulling these specs from, your behind? 3TF lmao. What cooling system do you think they'll put the Switch to keep that chip cool? You think Nintendo is releasing a handheld as large as the steam deck?

BlackTron

That's true but ps5 was sold for like 2 years lol like you said that was a huge miss for them. i see all console sales dropping with switch 2 and ps5 doing around 100 million tops.

Again --Sony was supply blocked. They sold systems for 2 years, but were outsold by MS due to Series S being in more plentiful supply when people were desperate for covid boxes. That allowed MS to harness the pandemic to gain some traction back to their ecosystem -a miss for Sony. Ultimately a win, because MS was sacrificing a long-term plan for short term gains and failed to capitalize on the advantage...but digression

kevm3

Creating a portable machine by a company that historically has released underpowered hardware past Gamecube now releasing a machine for around $3 or $400 that is more powerful or on par with a standalone console that is selling for $450 to $500... Sorry, don't believe it.

If we get ps4 level graphics from nintendo, I'll be astounded and satisfied.

blacktout

Man.. covid and animal crossing that duo was a crazy boost! Probably a 30Million+ boost. Ngl it was pretty fun tho.

If you compare the Switch's sales during the two pandemic years (2020 and 2021) to its sales before and after, it seems like the pandemic probably boosted sales by around 15 million units. Maybe you could argue 20 million, if you assume that the Switch would have started to decline in 2020 instead of peaking then, though arguing a counterfactual like that would be hard. In order to get to 30 million, you have to assume that the Switch was destined to go into massive decline without the pandemic, even though it was experiencing significant growth each year prior to that point. I don't see how you get there without motivated reasoning.

So if you take away hypothetical pandemic sales, the Switch would still be well over 100 million units, and there's no argument at all that the PS4 would have fallen short of 100 million, since it hit that benchmark in June of 2019, months before the pandemic hit. Could the PS5 and Switch 2 fall short of 100 mil? Absolutely! But if they do, it won't be solely because they had a (hopefully) pandemic-free lifespan.

That said, if the Switch does end up squeaking past the DS and PS2 to become the best-selling system ever, then you're definitely free to make the "this never would have happened without COVID!" argument.

Last edited:

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
If you compare the Switch's sales during the two pandemic years (2020 and 2021) to its sales before and after, it seems like the pandemic probably boosted sales by around 15 million units. Maybe you could argue 20 million, if you assume that the Switch would have started to decline in 2020 instead of peaking then, though arguing a counterfactual like that would be hard. In order to get to 30 million, you have to assume that the Switch was destined to go into massive decline without the pandemic, even though it was experiencing significant growth each year prior to that point. I don't see how you get there without motivated reasoning.

So if you take away hypothetical pandemic sales, the Switch would still be well over 100 million units, and there's no argument at all that the PS4 would have fallen short of 100 million, since it hit that benchmark in June of 2019, months before the pandemic hit. Could the PS5 and Switch 2 fall short of 100 mil? Absolutely! But if they do, it won't be solely because they had a (hopefully) pandemic-free lifespan.

That said, if the Switch does end up squeaking past the DS and PS2 to become the best-selling system ever, then you're definitely free to make the "this never would have happened without COVID!" argument.
You're also ignoring Animal Crossing. The game had a huge impact on console sales, and while yes, COVID did help a game about doing chores, it still was a phenomena pretty early in the Pandemic. The game appealed to a huge audience the Switch didn't cater to.

zeldaring

Banned

The thing i see a recession coming that's why i think they top at 100 million and it will be very interesting to see how switch 2 considering everyone has a descent handheld gaming device with switch 1.

Dorfdad

Gold Member
100% onboard the train of those who believe that the Switch 2 will LOOK like 4K resolution in handheld, but it will not be 4K native IMHO. Lots of smoke and mirrors to fool people into a checkerboard looking 4K / 1440p look, and Im fine with that. I don't care how they get it but if we can get 1440p / 60 FPS on all games and easy enough for developers to port.

Nintendo HAS never chased high end, and I can't believe they will do that and sacrifice the current install base for a 400-500 system. Considering steam deck / Rig Ally costing 700 can't hit those targets currently.

One rumor I can see them chasing but not sure its switch 2 or a future project is the rumored switch focus (VR) they tried the 3D stuff and had a VR system way back in the day so they may want to look into a modern cheap VR trick.

Last edited:

blacktout

You're also ignoring Animal Crossing. The game had a huge impact on console sales, and while yes, COVID did help a game about doing chores, it still was a phenomena pretty early in the Pandemic. The game appealed to a huge audience the Switch didn't cater to.

Absolutely. Animal Crossing was critically acclaimed and you could totally see it being a "big fucking deal" even if there had been no pandemic. I just didn't want to touch that factor in my post, because it's hard to disentangle the impacts of Animal Crossing and the pandemic from each other, since there was definitely a feedback loop there.

The thing i see a recession coming that's why i think they top at 100 million and it will be very interesting to see how switch 2 considering everyone has a descent handheld gaming device with switch 1.

That's totally possible and deep into "who the hell knows?" territory. My point was just that the pandemic wasn't the factor that got either console over the 100 million mark.

coffinbirth

An overclocked Switch can run TOTK at 60 fps 1080p.
Nope.

You can get 720p @ 40-60fps with lots of caveats, patches, tweaks and mods resulting in a generally shitty feeling game OR 900p locked 30fps that feels nice to play though.

If you want TotK to run in 1080p @ 60FPS you're going to have to emulate it...or wait for Switch 360 to grace us with it's presence.

BlackTron

I agree there are many variables at play but I as usual I think this is where it comes down to software. The weaker they become from other forces, the more they need to bring the big guns to tip the scales. If they bring games that are crazy enough, people will do anything to get the system. I have a funny feeling we will all be resigned to buying it on the reveal lol...

Ulysses 31

Nope.

You can get 720p @ 40-60fps with lots of caveats, patches, tweaks and mods resulting in a generally shitty feeling game OR 900p locked 30fps that feels nice to play though.

If you want TotK to run in 1080p @ 60FPS you're going to have to emulate it...or wait for Switch 360 to grace us with it's presence.
Hmmm, guess I misremembered the 1080p part. Would seem feasible to get 1080p at 30 fps if you can get nearly twice the fps by overclocking.

Tripolygon

Banned
And what is the battery for that?If you would take out your switch 2 to school or wherever how long will it last playing modern game?
The Switch has 4310mAh and gets 3-6 hrs depending on game drawing max 10W, BOTW draws average 8.25W. Switch 2 can easily up that to 5000mAh and get comparable battery life at 10W.
I just looked it up and your value for switch is far off by around 100%. It’s close to 0.4 terraflops. Having 4 times the ress and double the fps is gonna be hard.
What you found is a nice rounded figure. What I put there is the actual calculation of flops given the spec of the SoC (256 cores at docked 0.768Ghz clock speed X 2 = 392Gflops)

It’s not gonna be hard getting to 4x the resolution with a much more modern architecture not only for GPU but CPU and modern upscaling techs like dlss.
Where are you pulling these specs from, your behind? 3TF lmao. What cooling system do you think they'll put the Switch to keep that chip cool? You think Nintendo is releasing a handheld as large as the steam deck?
The steam deck is 1.5TF x86 APU on 7nm with max 15W power draw.

Snapdragon 8 gen 2 is already 3.5TF on 4nm and draws max 10W.

I don’t think Nintendo would find it difficult to cool it. I’m not even calculating using high clocks. I’m using Switch low clocks.

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

Creating a portable machine by a company that historically has released underpowered hardware past Gamecube now releasing a machine for around $3 or $400 that is more powerful or on par with a standalone console that is selling for $450 to $500... Sorry, don't believe it.

If we get ps4 level graphics from nintendo, I'll be astounded and satisfied.

Nvidia is making it, for other tasks than just a console. Nintendo doesn't have the pocket to pay Nvidia for custom SOC, not at the levels of derp they were doing with ATI back in the days at least. No, Nvidia won't design a potato mobile chipset.

It won't reach PS5's raw power, but that's the point of Nvidia's gamble on ML.

Could you sort of see a
  • ~2.4 Tflops docked
    • >30% high Tflops than PS4
    • Has much more modern feature set that Ampere introduced,
      • The improvements in concurrent operations
      • Asynchronous barrier to keep execution units almost always near full occupancy
      • Ampere's global memory for latency improvements and reduced memory traffic, hides data copy latency.
      • Wouldn't have fucking jaguar CPUs
      • RTX IO management
      • RT/ML of Ampere of course
      • Sprinkle some bigger cache there, TSMC node and you have Ada basically, maybe without the optical flow modules.
    • Nvidia's API of course to remove the PC OS header that is dragging those architectures down
With how thin the difference is between PS4 and PS5 games, those above additional bumps over a mere PS4 raw TFlops would basically come within "comparable PS5", without actually looking like PS5 pixel for pixel. Could render at 720p and upscale to 4K and with DLSS, it would honestly look better than most of the checkerboard garbage of that era anyway.

Nintendo's say in this is to accept Nvidia proposal or not, probably a chipset that will be used in Shield 2 or some other project. Not to go into architecture details.

Switch was >PS3 10 years after PS3
Why couldn't Switch 2 be >PS4 10 years after PS4

This 1.6 TFlops handheld with less of a good feature set than Ampere and stuck with windows's OS header.

UPbVdlV.jpg

No, it's not as good as PS5. Would it be fine and be comparable to PS5? I mean for most peoples in motion, absolutely.

With the iPhone's power displayed today, I'm not sure how peoples can still come in with so much doubt. Not even silicon locked in a phone form factor, these consoles have passive cooling.

Yup. This android gaming device has 8000mAh and a Snapdragon 8 gen 2 SoC. It has a cooling fan as well to help maintain sustained performace without throttling.

odin-2-clear-shell-revealed-entry-price-v0-s20eew4t70hb1.png

hack-khaby.gif

This guy gets it

Last edited:

Woopah

Nvidia is making it, for other tasks than just a console. Nintendo doesn't have the pocket to pay Nvidia for custom SOC, not at the levels of derp they were doing with ATI back in the days at least. No, Nvidia won't design a potato mobile chipset.

It won't reach PS5's raw power, but that's the point of Nvidia's gamble on ML.

Could you sort of see a
  • ~2.4 Tflops docked
    • >30% high Tflops than PS4
    • Has much more modern feature set that Ampere introduced,
      • The improvements in concurrent operations
      • Asynchronous barrier to keep execution units almost always near full occupancy
      • Ampere's global memory for latency improvements and reduced memory traffic, hides data copy latency.
      • Wouldn't have fucking jaguar CPUs
      • RTX IO management
      • RT/ML of Ampere of course
      • Sprinkle some bigger cache there, TSMC node and you have Ada basically, maybe without the optical flow modules.
    • Nvidia's API of course to remove the PC OS header that is dragging those architectures down
With how thin the difference is between PS4 and PS5 games, those above additional bumps over a mere PS4 raw TFlops would basically come within "comparable PS5", without actually looking like PS5 pixel for pixel. Could render at 720p and upscale to 4K and with DLSS, it would honestly look better than most of the checkerboard garbage of that era anyway.

Nintendo's say in this is to accept Nvidia proposal or not, probably a chipset that will be used in Shield 2 or some other project. Not to go into architecture details.

Switch was >PS3 10 years after PS3
Why couldn't Switch 2 be >PS4 10 years after PS4

This 1.6 TFlops handheld with less of a good feature set than Ampere and stuck with windows's OS header.

UPbVdlV.jpg

No, it's not as good as PS5. Would it be fine and be comparable to PS5? I mean for most peoples in motion, absolutely.

With the iPhone's power displayed today, I'm not sure how peoples can still come in with so much doubt. Not even silicon locked in a phone form factor, these consoles have passive cooling.

hack-khaby.gif

This guy gets it
The T239 is being built for Nintendo, but I could also see it being used in a new Sheild product afterwords.

Buggy Loop

The T239 is being built for Nintendo, but I could also see it being used in a new Sheild product afterwords.

It's an offbranch of Jetson Orin, somewhere around the AGX Orin and the Orin NX.

The tweak, much like they did with Switch, doesn't require a new architecture ($$$$), that's what i mean. Nvidia ain't designing two potatoes duct taped together because Nintendo is cheap. Not like ATI flipper's Wii nonsense solution when all GPU architectures had already moved away from the gamecube texture unit.

Probably to be used for their next shield iteration, or chinese product variants, absolutely.

Last edited:

Woopah

It's an offbranch of Jetson Orin, somewhere around the AGX Orin and the Orin NX.

The tweak, much like they did with Switch, doesn't require a new architecture ($$$$), that's what i mean. Nvidia ain't designing two potatoes duct taped together because Nintendo is cheap. Probably to be used for their next shield iteration, or chinese product variants, absolutely.
With the Switch it was basically just an X1 with lower clocks right? The T239 looks to be significantly created for Nintendo and therefore much more customised.

Buggy Loop

With the Switch it was basically just an X1 with lower clocks right? The T239 looks to be significantly created for Nintendo and therefore much more customised.

Was the present solution for shield and what was cutting edge in their mobile lineup back then.

Nvidia platform diversity has exploded since then for industrial grade controllers & AI.

Now the Orin can scale between 2048 GPU cores to 512. To make a platform (we don't have numbers) that is not in the current list of Orin series is not a huge effort like peoples are suggesting, not in the kinds comparable to what would be required for Nintendo would R&D some potato mobile chipset and waste Nvidia's time for a single architecture solution.
T239 could be a binned T234 (beefier core count) like they do for GPUs for all we know.

T239 is also years old rumors, with how many times we heard that Nintendo pushed back the Switch 2, we might be entirely elsewhere in specs. For all we know, T239 could have been early internal testing.

The rumours (grain of salt) right now is Ada SMs with newer Cortex X4 cores. If the numbers are even close to true, 12GB would fit the Ada memory configurations, not Orin's Ampere.

Who the fuck knows

I just want to point out that, soon it'll be raining 2.4 TFlops mobile chipsets with RT & ML for cheap products from Quest 3 / Pico 5 / Tons of chinese snapdragon XR2 gen 2 handhelds, freaking Apple having that in phone form factor.

Its just getting annoying to see the pessimism around Switch 2. Somehow Nintendo saw the competition and offers from Qualcomm, but fumbled all around and will have a more expensive, less powerful and less features than a PS4 while everyone else has the cake.

Nintendo is a special kind of idiot, but cmon, that's too much. They're lucky to have Nvidia's designs, let me tell you that.

Last edited:

Beechos

These rumored specs only get better and better. Theres is no way this system will be less than 399. I wonder how people will react when this thing has like only a 1080p display to go with this power and 64gb of storage.

Last edited:

blacktout

These rumored specs only get better and better. Theres is no way this system will be less than 399. I wonder how people will react when this thing has like only a 1080p display to go with this power and 64gb of storage.

Setting aside the truth or falsehood of this rumor, whatever the Switch 2 is, it will almost certainly be at least $399, since they're still selling the Switch OLED for $349. You're probably right about the 1080p screen too. There's no way they're going to put a 4k screen on an 8" handheld.

Storage is going to be a lot higher than 64 GB though. Nintendo will want you to be able to fit at least two third party games on the console at a time, lol.

Beechos

Setting aside the truth or falsehood of this rumor, whatever the Switch 2 is, it will almost certainly be at least $399, since they're still selling the Switch OLED for $349. You're probably right about the 1080p screen too. There's no way they're going to put a 4k screen on an 8" handheld.

Storage is going to be a lot higher than 64 GB though. Nintendo will want you to be able to fit at least two third party games on the console at a time, lol.
I hope the storage will be more. I'm just thinking of areas they can cheap out on to keep the price low since games will prob be also sold on cards also will it be a ssd? Game pricing can also be potentially worrisome since memory card prices scale alot differently compared to pressing multiple blu ray dics.

Last edited:

Boy bawang

The narrative that Nintendo hasn't been about power since the GameCube is dumb and shows how little most people here know about tech.

The switch was very much about power. The tegra X1 was, on release, close to the state of the art of mobile SoC and it's no surprise that Nintendo started funding impossible ports such as Doom within the first year. They wanted to show that while less powerful than its competitors, it was very much a current generation console. Nintendo doesn't intend to win the power race, but they very much intend to be close enough to make virtually any game possible on their system.

This new switch, in terms of raw computing power, will be in the same position as the switch was on release. But this time, with DLSS and Nvidia's superior RTX technology, it will have a few ways to trick us into thinking that it's punching above its weight. And seeing grown ass basement dwellers feeling threatened by that is downright hilarious.

zeldaring

Banned
The narrative that Nintendo hasn't been about power since the GameCube is dumb and shows how little most people here know about tech.

The switch was very much about power. The tegra X1 was, on release, close to the state of the art of mobile SoC and it's no surprise that Nintendo started funding impossible ports such as Doom within the first year. They wanted to show that while less powerful than its competitors, it was very much a current generation console. Nintendo doesn't intend to win the power race, but they very much intend to be close enough to make virtually any game possible on their system.

This new switch, in terms of raw computing power, will be in the same position as the switch was on release. But this time, with DLSS and Nvidia's superior RTX technology, it will have a few ways to trick us into thinking that it's punching above its weight. And seeing grown ass basement dwellers feeling threatened by that is downright hilarious.
They could have went with the Tegra x2 and they made money on hardware from day one lol.

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
It mostly comes from the knowledge they've been lied to. They bought PS5XSX thinking they'll get 60FPS@4K+RT, and that never materialized. It's kinda funny seeing how they keep talking shit about Nintendo being underpowered, when they bought a lie.

Boy bawang

They could have went with the Tegra x2 and they made money on hardware from day one lol.

This is really not the gotcha you think it is. Tegra X2 wouldn't have changed much, and would have been very wasteful considering that the Denver cores would have had to be deactivated.
They went with Mariko in 2019 which is basically a tailored X2 without the Denver cores, and decided to use the added efficiency from the 16nm node for battery life which ended up being the smart choice though I would have liked the console to be natively overclocked.

Boy bawang

That’s absolutely not true lol. It cannot be more than 15watt an me it won’t be.

Docked mode can go higher.
We already know what the chip is going to be (we have since March 2022 and the Nvidia hack). And we already know that it'll be 2.5-3.5 TF depending on how they clock it. DLSS and a superior RTX technology gets you a result trading blows with a series S in some aspects.
But worry not, the big boy console keep a strong edge in terms of CPU and memory bandwidth.

zeldaring

Banned
This is really not the gotcha you think it is. Tegra X2 wouldn't have changed much, and would have been very wasteful considering that the Denver cores would have had to be deactivated.
They went with Mariko in 2019 which is basically a tailored X2 without the Denver cores, and decided to use the added efficiency from the 16nm node for battery life which ended up being the smart choice though I would have liked the console to be natively overclocked.
First person I heard say this but almost every tech head said the Tegra x2 would have been much better option. they also could have customized it. Besides that they released a switch lite where thye could have easily made a pro or even just a home console version with with much better graphics. Nintendo been having shit hardware for 20 years it's unfortunate.

Last edited:

Boy bawang

First person I heard say this but almost every tech head said the Tegra x2 would have been much better option.
Exactly what I mean when I mention how technically illiterate this thread is. If you want to see how an X2 would have performed, check how Mariko performs.
In 2017, releasing an X1 switch was as state of the art as one could have hoped for an hybrid console under 300 bucks.

PS4 and XBox1 released with arguably the worst CPU they could have. Would you say that Sony and Microsoft aren't after computing power, or does your logic only applies to Nintendo?

zeldaring

Banned
Exactly what I mean when I mention how technically illiterate this thread is. If you want to see how an X2 would have performed, check how Mariko performs.
In 2017, releasing an X1 switch was as state of the art as one could have hoped for an hybrid console under 300 bucks.

PS4 and XBox1 released with arguably the worst CPU they could have. Would you say that Sony and Microsoft aren't after computing power, or does your logic only applies to Nintendo?
Ps4 was by far the best available hardware for the pirce so can't complain, and more importantly the results were amazing. Xbox one was trash though.

Tegra x2 Could have offered 50% more performance at the same TDP.

Last edited:

Boy bawang

Ps4 was by far the best available hardware for the pirce so can't complain, and more importantly the results were amazing. Xbox one was trash though.
Have you even read what I said?
The Jaguar CPU of both the PS4 and X box 1 was absolute garbage EVEN at the time they released. So my question stands: does it mean that neither Sony nor Microsoft chase computing power?

zeldaring

Banned
Have you even read what I said?
The Jaguar CPU of both the PS4 and X box 1 was absolute garbage EVEN at the time they released. So my question stands: does it mean that neither Sony nor Microsoft chase computing power?
The difference is Nintendo for thr past 20 years has made a consoles 2 generations behind the competition so how can they be chasing power when they are generations behind the competition graphically? Again if they care anything about graphics we would have got something like the pro or even a home console version years ago for switch.

Last edited:

Boy bawang

The difference is Nintendo for thr past 20 years has made a consoles 2 generations behind the competition so how can they be chasing power when they are generations behind the competition graphically? Again if they care anything about graphics we would have got something like the pro or even a home console version years ago for switch.
Stop parroting broad statements and moving goal posts.
Let me recenter:
1.Tegra X1 was, in 2017, the best one could have hoped for an hybrid console under 300 bucks. So yes, with the switch, Nintendo was absolutely chasing power.

2. The Jaguar CPU found in the just generation consoles was basically a 2013 netbook CPU (equivalent to an Intel Atom c2750). That is, complete shite. Does it mean that Sony and Microsoft weren't targeting computing power?

And since you have apparently a short attention span, let me answer that for you. No, it doesn't mean that Sony and Microsoft weren't targeting computing power. It just means that they had to make choices and cheap out on some components, like every company does. You will learn that if you go to college after finishing high school.

And to summarize, the next switch will be in roughly the same position as the current one except with smart features allowing it to look significantly closer to your big boy console. And that, for whatever reason, makes you extremely butthurt. And that funny, not gonna lie. But like everything funny, it needs to stop, and that's what I'll do right now. I'm just looking forward to the actual reveal of the console, when you'll probably be crying that "DLSS 4k isn't real 4k, Nintendo has no right 😭😭".

mrmeh

The switch was very much about power. The Tegra X1 was, on release, close to the state of the art of mobile SoC and it's no surprise that Nintendo started funding impossible ports such as Doom within the first year. They wanted to show that while less powerful than its competitors, it was very much a current generation console. Nintendo doesn't intend to win the power race, but they very much intend to be close enough to make virtually any game possible on their system.

For low power draw, the chips process node is very important, the smaller the chip, you get more power for the same energy or lower power for the same performance. Tegra x1 is a 20nm process node chip released in 2015 and put in the Switch Q12017. Around this time AMD Zen 1 chips and intel 7000 series were being launched built on a 14nm process, the Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 was released at the end of 2016 and was on a 10nm process. So theoretically Nintendo could have released a much faster Switch that fit in the same power envelope, obviously its comes down to availability in partners to design and supply chips and also cost.

The Tegra X1 was a good 20nm chip but it could have been better redesigned on a lower process node to increase power and/or battery life, this would have inevitably cost Nintendo allot more money...

Sony and Microsoft sell their systems at a loss because they go for power utilising the latest process nodes for their chips, it is clear Nintendo do not go for power as they like to make a profit on their consoles and do not want to subsidise consumers having more powerful systems, they rely on the charm of their games and the family friendly aspect of their systems to shift units and that works for them.

shamoomoo

It mostly comes from the knowledge they've been lied to. They bought PS5XSX thinking they'll get 60FPS@4K+RT, and that never materialized. It's kinda funny seeing how they keep talking shit about Nintendo being underpowered, when they bought a lie.
That's a lie, nobody thought 4K+RT and 60fps was going to be possible on current gen consoles because it wasn't a thing on PCs.

4K,sure but most likely at 30fps depending on the game .RT, definitely but in a quality type mode and we expect 60fps to be more consistent given the CPU upgrade.

BlackTron

For low power draw, the chips process node is very important, the smaller the chip, you get more power for the same energy or lower power for the same performance. Tegra x1 is a 20nm process node chip released in 2015 and put in the Switch Q12017. Around this time AMD Zen 1 chips and intel 7000 series were being launched built on a 14nm process, the Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 was released at the end of 2016 and was on a 10nm process. So theoretically Nintendo could have released a much faster Switch that fit in the same power envelope, obviously its comes down to availability in partners to design and supply chips and also cost.

The Tegra X1 was a good 20nm chip but it could have been better redesigned on a lower process node to increase power and/or battery life, this would have inevitably cost Nintendo allot more money...

Sony and Microsoft sell their systems at a loss because they go for power utilising the latest process nodes for their chips, it is clear Nintendo do not go for power as they like to make a profit on their consoles and do not want to subsidise consumers having more powerful systems, they rely on the charm of their games and the family friendly aspect of their systems to shift units and that works for them.

Not true. The jaguar is a 28nm CPU, even though at the time Intel was making 22nm mid range processors. I thought Sony and MS took a loss to use the LATEST nodes only? It's okay when Sony and MS grab a dog shit CPU to make a console but when Nintendo doesn't use the very latest manufacturing process in their 299 handheld it doesn't look good...

Top Bottom