• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch 2 Can Run BOTW at 4K Res, 60 FPS; May Be Capable of Better Ray Tracing Than PS5/Xbox Series X

Boy bawang

For low power draw, the chips process node is very important, the smaller the chip, you get more power for the same energy or lower power for the same performance. Tegra x1 is a 20nm process node chip released in 2015 and put in the Switch Q12017. Around this time AMD Zen 1 chips and intel 7000 series were being launched built on a 14nm process, the Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 was released at the end of 2016 and was on a 10nm process. So theoretically Nintendo could have released a much faster Switch that fit in the same power envelope, obviously its comes down to availability in partners to design and supply chips and also cost.

The Tegra X1 was a good 20nm chip but it could have been better redesigned on a lower process node to increase power and/or battery life, this would have inevitably cost Nintendo allot more money...

Sony and Microsoft sell their systems at a loss because they go for power utilising the latest process nodes for their chips, it is clear Nintendo do not go for power as they like to make a profit on their consoles and do not want to subsidise consumers having more powerful systems, they rely on the charm of their games and the family friendly aspect of their systems to shift units and that works for them.

We know what it could have been: the Tegra X1+, which released in 2019. It is indeed more powerful than the original X1, but let's not pretend that it would have been a game changer either. Nintendo could have made a pro console at that time and decided to go for battery life instead, which in a hindsight was a paying strategy considering how crazy successful the switch was, and still is.

Once again, companies have to make choices and in 2017, of you wanted to have an hybrid console below 300 dollars, Erista (the original Tegra X1) was an excellent choice, and certainly not an underpowered one.

zeldaring

Banned
We know what it could have been: the Tegra X1+, which released in 2019. It is indeed more powerful than the original X1, but let's not pretend that it would have been a game changer either. Nintendo could have made a pro console at that time and decided to go for battery life instead, which in a hindsight was a paying strategy considering how crazy successful the switch was, and still is.

Once again, companies have to make choices and in 2017, of you wanted to have an hybrid console below 300 dollars, Erista (the original Tegra X1) was an excellent choice, and certainly not an underpowered one.
LOL game changer, its a option like ps4 pro its not a a game changer but it gives people a option to play their games with more powerful hardware and nintendo just didn't care to make anything. honestly think even a home console pro that was around xb1 power would have did crazy numbers better then switch light but they just dont care about power, but what do you expect from the makers of wii and wiiu. The fact the switch being so successful and not getting a pro version is unbelievable to me.

Last edited:

mrmeh

Not true. The jaguar is a 28nm CPU, even though at the time Intel was making 22nm mid range processors. I thought Sony and MS took a loss to use the LATEST nodes only? It's okay when Sony and MS grab a dog shit CPU to make a console but when Nintendo doesn't use the very latest manufacturing process in their 299 handheld it doesn't look good...

At the time I think 28nm was AMDs best node with global foundries so again they choose the best node they could get a one chip solution for, they were releasing some of their PC APUs still at 32nm. The Wii U which launched a year earlier had a 45nm chip.

In recent history the PS5 and XSX launched with 7nm chips which were close to cutting edge and expensive to produce.

mrmeh

It was an excellent choice for them, they want to make money. It is clear from that choice though that power was not their main concern. All the evidence and history shows that Nintendo thinks differently about console design and spec than either Sony or Microsoft.

Which is not a bad thing, I like Nintendo being different.

I think I waded in to some weird fan boy argument so Ill leave it here

Woopah

For low power draw, the chips process node is very important, the smaller the chip, you get more power for the same energy or lower power for the same performance. Tegra x1 is a 20nm process node chip released in 2015 and put in the Switch Q12017. Around this time AMD Zen 1 chips and intel 7000 series were being launched built on a 14nm process, the Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 was released at the end of 2016 and was on a 10nm process. So theoretically Nintendo could have released a much faster Switch that fit in the same power envelope, obviously its comes down to availability in partners to design and supply chips and also cost.

The Tegra X1 was a good 20nm chip but it could have been better redesigned on a lower process node to increase power and/or battery life, this would have inevitably cost Nintendo allot more money...

Sony and Microsoft sell their systems at a loss because they go for power utilising the latest process nodes for their chips, it is clear Nintendo do not go for power as they like to make a profit on their consoles and do not want to subsidise consumers having more powerful systems, they rely on the charm of their games and the family friendly aspect of their systems to shift units and that works for them.
From my understanding the X1 was redesigned to a lower process node, and Nintendo used that to improve Switch battery life.

I think the current Switch has 16nm instead of 20nm.

BlackTron

LOL game changer, its a option like ps4 pro its not a a game changer but it gives people a option to play their games with more powerful hardware and nintendo just didn't care to make anything. honestly think even a home console pro that was around xb1 power would have did crazy numbers better then switch light but they just dont care about power, but what do you expect from the makers of wii and wiiu. The fact the switch being so successful and not getting a pro version is unbelievable to me.

The very plausible rumors are that Nintendo planned a "Switch Pro" to extend the legs of the system, but then COVID happened. This created a massive chip shortage and premium on new parts, while giving a boost to sales making it altogether less necessary. They reacted to world events and market conditions and decided to ride it out for Switch 2. It's not like Nintendo hasn't done this before, look at DSi, New 3DS, they love it. The companies that did upgrade during COVID couldn't make enough to sell (PS5 and XSX) while Nintendo did very well riding the wave of old components, biding their time for the best moment to strike.

At the time I think 28nm was AMDs best node with global foundries so again they choose the best node they could get a one chip solution for, they were releasing some of their PC APUs still at 32nm. The Wii U which launched a year earlier had a 45nm chip.

In recent history the PS5 and XSX launched with 7nm chips which were close to cutting edge and expensive to produce.

So now we are making excuses for Sony and Microsoft not to use the latest manufacturing instead of Nintendo. They had a reason not to! Yeah and Nintendo had a reason not to do it last time either. To soak up all of Nvidias Shield chips which, comically, were good enough for Nvidia but I guess not good enough for a fledging Nintendo handheld meant to replace Wii U as an experiment. Seriously, Switch was such a bold idea and disruptive product, but you guys act like Nintendo knew it would be such an insane success and were intentionally dooming us all to "only" 20 nanometer...lmao. It was literally their first salvo with this idea and then they were locked into the spec. There's a lot of disingionous talk to "prove" the next one will be shit. Wait so Sony/MS upgraded from a netbook Jaguar to new 7nm chips? You mean you posted proof that a console maker can change from crap to good in so many years? If N brings a good chip it won't even be crap to good, it will be decent to good, a smaller jump than the consoles had.

mrmeh

From my understanding the X1 was redesigned to a lower process node, and Nintendo used that to improve Switch battery life.

I think the current Switch has 16nm instead of 20nm.

Yep, though again it was a conservative update for 2019. I imagine it would have also lowered production cost quite a bit as well. The current thinking is Switch 2 will be a cut down Orin on 8nm, which is a big upgrade on the Switch but will be interesting to compare against the Steam Deck and Ally, though it will obviously have much better battery life. The best low powered chipset (3nm) will probably be in iPhone 15 announced yesterday but there crazy money... and Apple

Last edited:

Inanilmaz

It mostly comes from the knowledge they've been lied to. They bought PS5XSX thinking they'll get 60FPS@4K+RT, and that never materialized. It's kinda funny seeing how they keep talking shit about Nintendo being underpowered, when they bought a lie.
The ps5 isn't even native 4k30 in most games am i right? Just upscaled i think?

Last edited:

Dorfdad

Gold Member
These rumored specs only get better and better. Theres is no way this system will be less than 399. I wonder how people will react when this thing has like only a 1080p display to go with this power and 64gb of storage.
Apple fans would eat it up. I really think Nintendo is very Apple like in aloy of ways.

tr1p1ex

The very plausible rumors are that Nintendo planned a "Switch Pro" to extend the legs of the system, but then COVID happened. This created a massive chip shortage and premium on new parts, while giving a boost to sales making it altogether less necessary. They reacted to world events and market conditions and decided to ride it out for Switch 2. It's not like Nintendo hasn't done this before, look at DSi, New 3DS, they love it. The companies that did upgrade during COVID couldn't make enough to sell (PS5 and XSX) while Nintendo did very well riding the wave of old components, biding their time for the best moment to strike.
I thought the rumors were bogus.

It didn't fit Nintendo.

DSi and New 3DS weren't pro models. Not like the PS4 Pro or the XBox Series X.

They didn't play the games any better at higher resolutions.

The spec bumps were refinements for other purposes. To support an internet store in the case of the DSi and improve the OS performance in the case of the New 3ds which also improved load times for old games. (And maybe the spec bump was needed for the improved 3d effect.)

New 3ds had a handful of New 3ds exclusives like Xenoblade and FE Warriors. But it was a short list. And was it the spec bump that brought the exclusives or the extra stick/nub?

DSi had some small downloadable exclusive games.

Last edited:

Boy bawang

Yep, though again it was a conservative update for 2019. I imagine it would have also lowered production cost quite a bit as well. The current thinking is Switch 2 will be a cut down Orin on 8nm, which is a big upgrade on the Switch but will be interesting to compare against the Steam Deck and Ally, though it will obviously have much better battery life. The best low powered chipset (3nm) will probably be in iPhone 15 announced yesterday but there crazy money... and Apple

You cannot get that level of performance on 8nm, especially Samsung 8nm. It'll be a similar architecture on a smaller node.

Last edited:
The Switch has 4310mAh and gets 3-6 hrs depending on game drawing max 10W, BOTW draws average 8.25W. Switch 2 can easily up that to 5000mAh and get comparable battery life at 10W.

What you found is a nice rounded figure. What I put there is the actual calculation of flops given the spec of the SoC (256 cores at docked 0.768Ghz clock speed X 2 = 392Gflops)

It’s not gonna be hard getting to 4x the resolution with a much more modern architecture not only for GPU but CPU and modern upscaling techs like dlss.

The steam deck is 1.5TF x86 APU on 7nm with max 15W power draw.

Snapdragon 8 gen 2 is already 3.5TF on 4nm and draws max 10W.

I don’t think Nintendo would find it difficult to cool it. I’m not even calculating using high clocks. I’m using Switch low clocks.
Except for the fact that we know the switch chip is being made on samsung 8nm which means it's not happening.

zeldaring

Banned

So now we are making excuses for Sony and Microsoft not to use the latest manufacturing instead of Nintendo. They had a reason not to! Yeah and Nintendo had a reason not to do it last time either. To soak up all of Nvidias Shield chips which, comically, were good enough for Nvidia but I guess not good enough for a fledging Nintendo handheld meant to replace Wii U as an experiment. Seriously, Switch was such a bold idea and disruptive product, but you guys act like Nintendo knew it would be such an insane success and were intentionally dooming us all to "only" 20 nanometer...lmao. It was literally their first salvo with this idea and then they were locked into the spec. There's a lot of disingionous talk to "prove" the next one will be shit. Wait so Sony/MS upgraded from a netbook Jaguar to new 7nm chips? You mean you posted proof that a console maker can change from crap to good in so many years? If N brings a good chip it won't even be crap to good, it will be decent to good, a smaller jump than the consoles had.
Thats rumors aren't plausible at all. Even though covid happened a switch pro model is a pro model and not a new system launch so its not gonna need a massive amount of chips. they would have been fine with less then half the ps5 out put of chips lol, so the rumor is total BS.

BlackTron

Thats rumors aren't plausible at all. Even though covid happened a switch pro model is a pro model and not a new system launch so its not gonna need a massive amount of chips. they would have been fine with less then half the ps5 out put of chips lol, so the rumor is total BS.

Nobody knows for sure if the rumors are true. But it absolutely makes sense that Nintendo simply did not want to introduce a new, more premium Switch at a time when manufacturing was at a premium and sales were fine (on the up, actually).

It was no secret to Nintendo what a challenge it was to get third party games onto the system like Doom. It was just news that they were actually trying to do it because the system was so popular. Now that that happened, N definitely has a demonstrated vested interest in giving the system even better headroom for next time. It's no longer a BOTW and Mario deliverance machine, it's now also a sell third party games en masse machine. Really I do not think it's going to be a PS5 lol. But I think it will be an insanely wisely designed and featured product that makes a studio say "shit we can put this game on there without too much of a problem and it will even run decent enough casuals will hardly even care about the difference" which honestly if they pull that off, checkmate guys

zeldaring

Banned
Nobody knows for sure if the rumors are true. But it absolutely makes sense that Nintendo simply did not want to introduce a new, more premium Switch at a time when manufacturing was at a premium and sales were fine (on the up, actually).

It was no secret to Nintendo what a challenge it was to get third party games onto the system like Doom. It was just news that they were actually trying to do it because the system was so popular. Now that that happened, N definitely has a demonstrated vested interest in giving the system even better headroom for next time. It's no longer a BOTW and Mario deliverance machine, it's now also a sell third party games en masse machine. Really I do not think it's going to be a PS5 lol. But I think it will be an insanely wisely designed and featured product that makes a studio say "shit we can put this game on there without too much of a problem and it will even run decent enough casuals will hardly even care about the difference" which honestly if they pull that off, checkmate guys
yea people that dont care about nintendo and handhelds are gonna stop buying ps5's for inferior ports and basically buy a home console at the same price as ps5 with not even half the power to get a games at 30fps instead of 60fps with worse graphics lol. also not like sony doesn't have system sellers. well see how it plays out, i doubt switch 2 out sells ps5 this gen.

BlackTron

yea people that dont care about nintendo and handhelds are gonna stop buying ps5's for inferior ports and basically buy a home console at the same price as ps5 with not even half the power to get a games at 30fps instead of 60fps with worse graphics lol. also not like sony doesn't have system sellers. well see how it plays out, i doubt switch 2 out sells ps5 this gen.

Just saying I see N getting bigger and PS smaller on that hypothetical trajectory. It's not like it will be decided on one arbitrarily decided goalpost of Switch 2 vs PS5 hardware sales lol.

"I doubt this system will even sell more than this other best selling system that came out 4 years earlier. Yes that's my best insult, really"

The very plausible rumors are that Nintendo planned a "Switch Pro" to extend the legs of the system, but then COVID happened.

More like Crypto happened. The Automotive Orin didn't ship until the end of last year.

Except for the fact that we know the switch chip is being made on samsung 8nm which means it's not happening.

Still very plausible that it is on a better Samsung node than 8 nm. But otherwise the same chip.

zeldaring

Banned
Just saying I see N getting bigger and PS smaller on that hypothetical trajectory. It's not like it will be decided on one arbitrarily decided goalpost of Switch 2 vs PS5 hardware sales lol.

"I doubt this system will even sell more than this other best selling system that came out 4 years earlier. Yes that's my best insult, really"
waste of time predicting these things anyway, as most people thought switch would be a failure, and almost now one saw this coming. for all we know apple takes over gaming in 7 years from now lol.

BlackTron

waste of time predicting these things anyway, as most people thought switch would be a failure, and almost now one saw this coming. for all we know apple takes over gaming in 7 years from now lol.

We don't know what's going to happen tomorrow, could be anything, therefore, let's not discuss predictions ever again.

Beechos

What happened to gameplay and graphics don't matter lol. Nintendo fans seem to be very fixated on power currently. From the way the rumors are going nintendo is set to release the most advanced portable gaming system ever.

Marvel14

Banned
Stop parroting broad statements and moving goal posts.
Let me recenter:
1.Tegra X1 was, in 2017, the best one could have hoped for an hybrid console under 300 bucks. So yes, with the switch, Nintendo was absolutely chasing power.

2. The Jaguar CPU found in the just generation consoles was basically a 2013 netbook CPU (equivalent to an Intel Atom c2750). That is, complete shite. Does it mean that Sony and Microsoft weren't targeting computing power?

And since you have apparently a short attention span, let me answer that for you. No, it doesn't mean that Sony and Microsoft weren't targeting computing power. It just means that they had to make choices and cheap out on some components, like every company does. You will learn that if you go to college after finishing high school.

And to summarize, the next switch will be in roughly the same position as the current one except with smart features allowing it to look significantly closer to your big boy console. And that, for whatever reason, makes you extremely butthurt. And that funny, not gonna lie. But like everything funny, it needs to stop, and that's what I'll do right now. I'm just looking forward to the actual reveal of the console, when you'll probably be crying that "DLSS 4k isn't real 4k, Nintendo has no right 😭😭".
old lady fighting GIF

FINISH HIM!

BlackTron

I don't mind predictions but these predictions that are 5 years plus are worthless for me anyway.

It's not going to take that long to see what kind of momentum Switch 2 has. You're the one who dragged a 5 year goalpost into the comversation and then dismissed the whole conversation.

Woopah

What happened to gameplay and graphics don't matter lol. Nintendo fans seem to be very fixated on power currently. From the way the rumors are going nintendo is set to release the most advanced portable gaming system ever.
I don't think many Nintendo fans care too much about graphics (the graphics on Switch 2 will certainly be worse than Xbox Series and PS5), but in terms of third party support power is much more important than it used to be.

Gone are the DS/PSP/Wii days where you could say "my device is less powerful and offers lower developement costs, so make excusives for my system". The industry is now far far too multiplatform for that.

zeldaring

Banned
It's not going to take that long to see what kind of momentum Switch 2 has. You're the one who dragged a 5 year goalpost into the comversation and then dismissed the whole conversation.
By the time switch 2 even comes out there will be around 60 million ps5 with a massive online community for switch 2 to actually starts being AAA third-party machine where it actually effects sony its gonna take more then 5 years. its takes a long time to actually establish that kinda audience shift let alone if its even possible for Nintendo, since PS has been basically the third party machine for decades now.

zeldaring

Banned
I don't think many Nintendo fans care too much about graphics (the graphics on Switch 2 will certainly be worse than Xbox Series and PS5), but in terms of third party support power is much more important than it used to be.

Gone are the DS/PSP/Wii days where you could say "my device is less powerful and offers lower developement costs, so make excusives for my system". The industry is now far far too multiplatform for that.
your should add switch as well cause it missed out on a ton of great third party games because of hardware.

Woopah

your should add switch as well cause it missed out on a ton of great third party games because of hardware.
That was my point, DS/PSP/Wii got a lot of third party support by offering lower development costs and gaining exclusives.

Switch and Switch 2 weren't/won't be able to do that, therefore power for them is a lot more important than it was for DS/PSP/Wii.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Important thing is that it has enough memory / CPU to handle ports from PS5/XSX and that there are good tools for X86-ARM porting (which there are more and more of it seems.)

Then we'll see about 3rd party support.

From the reports we've heard power won't be an issue, whether the graphics truly match up or come close is less important.

This could be a huge system for Nintendo and for 3rd parties alike.

But I'd be hesitant to think graphics are going to blow you away.

Last edited:

zeldaring

Banned
That was my point, DS/PSP/Wii got a lot of third party support by offering lower development costs and gaining exclusives.

Switch and Switch 2 weren't/won't be able to do that, therefore power for them is a lot more important than it was for DS/PSP/Wii.
i mean even in wii days almost everything was going multiplatform on 360/ps3 the hardware made the difference

Woopah

i mean even in wii days almost everything was going multiplatform on 360/ps3 the hardware made the difference
On 360/PS3 yes. But DS and PSP weren't anywhere near those consoles in power and yet got a lot of great third party support. They got many exclusives from their lack of power.

Switch and Switch 2 didn't get any exclusives from a lack of power, so their situation was completely different.

Marvel14

Banned
Let me help:

Adult Nintendo,PS and Xbox fans: graphics are nice but gameplay and art direction are king.

Teenage and kiddie PS and Xbox fans: if a game isn't 60FPS4k with ray tracing , ambient occlusion, frame formation and mamma's lactation it's a turd and I'm liable to lose my shit if you try to defend it (aka git dem toys outa ma pram).

Make sense?

Last edited:

zeldaring

Banned
On 360/PS3 yes. But DS and PSP weren't anywhere near those consoles in power and yet got a lot of great third party support. They got many exclusives from their lack of power.

Switch and Switch 2 didn't get any exclusives from a lack of power, so their situation was completely different.
ah ok got it.

sachos

I just want it to be true to see the internet shitstorm lmao. But seriously give me a "Pro" home console only sku from the start with BC for 500. Do it Nintendo.

coffinbirth

Hmmm, guess I misremembered the 1080p part. Would seem feasible to get 1080p at 30 fps if you can get nearly twice the fps by overclocking.
It really isn't getting that though, is what I'm saying.
Realistically, it averages in the 40's-low 50's most of the time @ 720p because of Ultrahand. 900p with locked 30fps at all times, no dips, no gfx compromises, even with Ultrahand, is IMO preferable. Feels much smoother. TotK and BotW are both memory bandwidth starved, overclocking the CPU and GPU isn't doing a whole lot here, it's all on the RAM.

Keep in mind overclocking IS getting the 900p @ locked 30fps...anything beyond that involves patching, memory profiles, disabling gfx options and overclocking beyond Sys-clk overlay limits, which results in a game that is not only NOT actually 60fps, but looks and feels worse as well.

TotK 60fps is only really a YUZU/Ryujinx thing via DynamicFPS.

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member
You can't even compare Wii situation to Switch. Not by power difference vs competition for which Switch is just way better positioned and the catalog shows it, not by the type of hardware.

If Wii had a shader based GPU at the time, it would have received more ports, probably not because of power differences, but the fact that Wii was basically using an older graphic technology instead of the more modern based on shaders made a huge difference for developers, for Switch you can downscale games since it works the same than Ps4 and Xbone, for Wii you had to make a whole new version because it's GPU worked different, like completely different, like everyone else is flying moving to cars but you still insist on using horses.

I mean, it was so different that even if Wii was as powerful as Xbox 360 it would have been difficult to port games to it.

zeldaring

Banned
You can't even compare Wii situation to Switch. Not by power difference vs competition for which Switch is just way better positioned and the catalog shows it, not by the type of hardware.

If Wii had a shader based GPU at the time, it would have received more ports, probably not because of power differences, but the fact that Wii was basically using an older graphic technology instead of the more modern based on shaders made a huge difference for developers, for Switch you can downscale games since it works the same than Ps4 and Xbone, for Wii you had to make a whole new version because it's GPU worked different, like completely different, like everyone else is flying moving to cars but you still insist on using horses.

I mean, it was so different that even if Wii was as powerful as Xbox 360 it would have been difficult to port games to it.
I was not comparing them just saying that wii and switch didn't get a ton of great third party games because of inferior hardware.

Samsung 8nm node confirmed by pro leaker Kopite7?

Last edited:

shamoomoo

I was not comparing them just saying that wii and switch didn't get a ton of great third party games because of inferior hardware.

Why 8nm instead of 7 or 6nm? Those relatively older nodes should be cheap with a power saving bonus.

tkscz

The 8nm is why I don't believe him on this. Correct me if I'm wrong but Nvidia all but discontinued the 30 series. While the 7nm Ampere is still in production from TSCM, Samsung is no long producing the 8nm Ampere due to the low yields they were getting.

mrmeh

8nm is most likely due to the fact that's what the Orin series was designed in and Nintendo have a history of using older nodes. Maybe a while before we find out either way.

Moses85

What makes you think that?
The games which Nintendo announced yesterday. LM2 for Summer. Would Not surprise me if we will get a direct in January in which they announce some DLC for summer / autumn 23 and Switch 2 will be released earliest october/November 23

Xyphie

The games which Nintendo announced yesterday. LM2 for Summer. Would Not surprise me if we will get a direct in January in which they announce some DLC for summer / autumn 23 and Switch 2 will be released earliest october/November 23

There's probably going to be some cross-gen games with Switch 2 enhancements either way.

Top Bottom