• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch 2 Can Run BOTW at 4K Res, 60 FPS; May Be Capable of Better Ray Tracing Than PS5/Xbox Series X

Ozzie666

I could swear reading the original leaks it read like 'Nintendo showed target specs' for the new Switch. Does that imply they were using something to replicate what they hope, but might not actually make the final model due to cost and battery life?. It's like seeing footgage running on a PC trying to replicate a PS5 or XBX. I'm setting myself up for disappoint here, but this is all sounding to good to be true, I'd love to see Nintendo do even better in USA, just like Japan. Sony and Microsft could both use a wake up call.

Robb

Gold Member
This.

If it was native, yes laugh all you want. But DLSS is doing what it should on a 2017 game.
Yeah I think the only takeaway from this is that it can run BotW better, and that shouldn’t be interpreted as being able to run everything else at even nearly the same quality.

I love BotW but assets/textures are such low quality in that game. Pop-in is all over the place and when you’re climbing a mountain you might as well be climbing a pile of pixelated mud. To me it doesn’t sound like BotW in particular should be very difficult for them to improve on a lot with this tech.

Does that imply they were using something to replicate what they hope, but might not actually make the final model due to cost and battery life?
I think it means that what they’ve supposedly shown has been shown on a computer replicating the specs they’re going for. No one has actually seen a “Switch 2” or anything close to the final design of the actual system.

Last edited:

sinnergy

Yeah I think the only takeaway from this is that it can run BotW better, and that shouldn’t be interpreted as being able to run everything else at even nearly the same quality.

I love BotW but assets/textures are such low quality in that game. Pop-in is all over the place and when you’re climbing a mountain you might as well be climbing a pile of pixelated mud. To me it doesn’t sound like BotW in particular should be very difficult for them to improve on a lot with this tech.

I think it means that what they’ve supposedly shown has been shown on a computer replicating the specs they’re going for. No one has actually seen a “Switch 2” or anything close to the final design of the actual system.
Yeah it shows its basically 2 times as powerful as switch now is and than some with dlss and select raytracing in certain conditions , simple games is my guess. Better keep expectations in check.

Marvel14

Banned
Nice try, but you are counting on Nvidia to have a bunch of 2 year old chips laying around for a massive hardware launch.

Wii U was a disaster and Nintendo was trying to pivot without the confidence they have today in the product. They got Nvidia's old stock at a bargain price. They are in an entirely new business position, and Nvidia doesn't have old shit laying around after Covid. It's a different world today.
Not two year old chips ....Two year old tech and processes ....Nintendo cannot make a bleeding edge console at an affordable "everyone can buy it" price- and they've never done it. What's your evidence that they are breaking with decades old strategy?

The only thing that might make sense is some Dock solution that extends the life of the current Switch combined with some premium alternative. But I don't see Nintendo splitting it's user base either.

Maths doesn't add up

Last edited:

lucius

Sounds great will buy once the OLED version is out later, unless they screw up backwards compatibility. DLSS is amazing tech for upscaling, but some PC development they have got much more lazy optimizing games because of that and FSR and just rely on it too much lately, some games run worse natively than they can, they know we don’t have to optimize games as much anymore on PC then release it unfinished with bugs/glitches and fix it later if ever . I don’t think that will happen on console though, people wouldn’t put up with it.

baphomet

I would hope so.

DLSS is already upscaling that same 1080p image to 4k, so it just leaves the Switch 2 running the game at 60fps instead of 30fps.

That's not what I would call impressive.

A lot of users keep mentioning The Witcher 3, a 2015 game that had a lot of cuts to run on the Switch and even had a lot of drops to make run it the best possible.

The time passed and games running on the Base PS4 like RDR2 or TLOU part II just look better than TW3.

Is yet to be seen how the final specifications will be, but I’m 100% sure that Nintendo will release Switch 2 profitable from day one, so no beefy specifications like the ones in the article posted by the OP.

And it will be $399/449, and it will sell less than Switch 1.

UnNamed

Banned
NateTheHate, that's the guy who's uncle works at Nintendo isn't it?

Probably.

A 7 page thread around a guy who supposedly leaks info but in reality what he say is gibberish, where he say one thing and the exact opposite in the same sentence.

-a new undisclosed game is supposed to be release in 202X, but developer are not sure if, where and how release it, and if they will eventually release it, it will surely be the game I just leaked here;

-a new game from a franchise ported on consoles, pc, tablet, smartphone and washdisher is due to release next year or later, so there are heavy chances the game will actually be released somewhere in the next few years;

-another game X could be delayed, or may be not, I'm not sure about things I should be sure cause I'm a leaker, so there are 100% chances the game will be delayed or not;

-a 10yo rumored game will be released this or next year, and you guess it, I'm not sure. All depends from developers, covid, asteroids, grasshoppers...

Emedan

The device need to be functional as a portable system, which means 3-5 hours of playtime on battery. It ain't gonna be a beast but a good leap over the OG Switch for sure with a much more modern chip. It's gonna be great.

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I fucking hope 4K/60 is true or at LEAST 1440p/60 is true and that it takes full advantage of DLSS upscaling.

That's legit all I want from a Nintendo system is to be able to run all their older games at higher rez and framerates. That can rival emulation.

Source:

The video is very long so watch for the full context but the bullet points are:
  • All of what they discussed is the rumor/chat that dominated Gamescom. The impressions of the demo are from second hand sources so they could be well off on how did The Matrix demo actually compared to PS5 and Xbox Series as 2 years passed between the 2 demos, or the "target hardware" may be not representative of what Nintendo/Nvidia actually manage to achieve in their final hardware (PS3 was only half as powerful as the "target hardware" that run many demo at E3).
  • What Eurogamer and VGC reported is what everyone at Gamescom was hearing behind the scene.
  • The reports seems to confirm the T239 Nvidia SoC being the actual Switch 2 intended hardware as the Nvidia leak indicated.
  • BotW demo was running at 4K/60fps using DLSS.
  • The Matrix demo has the benefit of Nvidia having much better ray tracing hardware than AMD.
  • DLSS 3.5 (minus frame generation) is what they probably were using to run the demo and they think it's reasonable to expect T239 to be able to handle DLSS 3.5 features (minus frame generation).
  • Unreal Engine was 5 developed quite a lot in the past 2 years after the PS5/XBS demo released and it's more scalable now that it was when the demo first debuted. The engine is getting "lighter".
  • It's in Nvidia and Epic Games' best interests to have Unreal Engine 5 be scalable down for Switch 2. Epic Games wouldn't want to make Unreal Engine 5 hard to use on a platform potentially as succesful as the original Switch was and Nvidia would desire this console to be a showcase of their impressive DLSS/ray tracing capabilities.

Last edited:

Woopah

You guys  really need to stop believing these sketchy rumours so easily.
4k60fps RT, in a handheld that will be less powerful than a iPhone.

Think Use Your Head GIF by LeVar Burton
There's nothing sketchy about this report, given what we already know about the SoC Switch will use.
A lot of users keep mentioning The Witcher 3, a 2015 game that had a lot of cuts to run on the Switch and even had a lot of drops to make run it the best possible.

The time passed and games running on the Base PS4 like RDR2 or TLOU part II just look better than TW3.

Is yet to be seen how the final specifications will be, but I’m 100% sure that Nintendo will release Switch 2 profitable from day one, so no beefy specifications like the ones in the article posted by the OP.

And it will be $399/449, and it will sell less than Switch 1.
Which beefy specs are you talking about?
Probably.

A 7 page thread around a guy who supposedly leaks info but in reality what he say is gibberish, where he say one thing and the exact opposite in the same sentence.

-a new undisclosed game is supposed to be release in 202X, but developer are not sure if, where and how release it, and if they will eventually release it, it will surely be the game I just leaked here;

-a new game from a franchise ported on consoles, pc, tablet, smartphone and washdisher is due to release next year or later, so there are heavy chances the game will actually be released somewhere in the next few years;

-another game X could be delayed, or may be not, I'm not sure about things I should be sure cause I'm a leaker, so there are 100% chances the game will be delayed or not;

-a 10yo rumored game will be released this or next year, and you guess it, I'm not sure. All depends from developers, covid, asteroids, grasshoppers...
Not everything he's heard is true, but he's got enough right that he clearly has sources.

Stuart360

The only tying i'd say about this is it could be true, the console is coming years after the current gen consoles so this could be true. BUT this is Nintendo we are talking about here. Expect a console around PS4 level, no matter what rumours you hear, expect a PS4 level console then anyhing more will be a nice bonus.

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
The only tying i'd say about this is it could be true, the console is coming years after the current gen consoles so this could be true. BUT this is Nintendo we are talking about here. Expect a console around PS4 level, no matter what rumours you hear, expect a PS4 level console then anyhing more will be a nice bonus.
I'd love a PS4+DLSS as a base. I think we're seeing diminishing returns on this new gen, and a lot of stuff look similar to last gen so far.

Interfectum

I'd love a PS4+DLSS as a base. I think we're seeing diminishing returns on this new gen, and a lot of stuff look similar to last gen so far.
All Switch 2 really needs is PS4 specs with DLSS 3. That would allow the portable to handle all last gen games, all cross gen games and downgraded current gen games. Along with all that Nintendo will bring to the table that's a pretty huge win.

Interfectum

I couldn't give a single flying fuck how powerful the Switch 2 is. This is just setting yourself up for disappointment comparing it to Playstation and Xbox consoles either this gen or last.

All I care about is what the price is, can I play Switch (1) games, and what exclusive games it gets.
Uh, it's quite likely Switch 2 will punch above base PS4. If I had to guess it will land between PS4 and PS4 Pro.

Woopah

The leaker who said Switch 2 may do ray tracing better than Sony and MS. People like that are going to cause people to have unreasonable expectations.
It could do ray tracing but better because Nvidia has better ray tracing than AMD. Not because it will be more powerful than PS5 or Xbox Series.

Fabieter

Better rt than other consoles isn't that hard to believe but I think 4k60fps kinda doubtful for games like zelda.

Interfectum

The leaker who said Switch 2 may do ray tracing better than Sony and MS. People like that are going to cause people to have unreasonable expectations.
Better RT does not mean better overall performance.

I feel like there is a forced "lol Nintendo fans" meme in here where people are making fun of shit that's not even being said.

Not a single sane person believes Switch 2 will have better or even comparable raw specs to current gen consoles. What is expected is Switch 2 punches around PS4 and with the help of built in upscaling can play some current gen games. I don't see how that is out of the realm of possibility. I'm playing Starfield and R&C on Steam Deck. It's a little rough going but perfectly playable and those games have minimal optimization for the Deck and there is no built in DLSS to assist.

Last edited:

Woopah

Better RT does not mean better overall performance.

I feel like there is a forced "lol Nintendo fans" meme in here where people are making fun of shit that's not even being said.

Not a single sane person believes Switch 2 will have better or even comparable raw specs to current gen consoles. What is expected is Switch 2 punches around PS4 and with the help of built in upscaling can play some current gen games. I don't see how that is out of the realm of possibility. I'm playing Starfield and R&C on Steam Deck. It's a little rough going but perfectly playable and those games have minimal optimization for the Deck and there is no built in DLSS to assist.
Thank you. I wish people would read/watch what these reports were actually saying.

Hardensoul

Info from Nate the Hate podcast (will update as I listen):

Breath of the Wild demo running on Switch 2 had the following features:
- DLSS
- 4K Resolution
- 60 FPS
- Minimal load times (Apparently going from the title screen to the game was instant.)

About Switch:
- DLSS 3.5 possibly used, just not full feature set yet

This is a good discussion. Been randomly listening to their weekly podcast for long time.

It makes sense.

Switch
Docked: 256 x 2 x 0.768 = ~393.2 GFlops
Undocked boost: 256 x 2 x 0.378 = ~193.5 GFlops
Undocked: 256 x 2 x 0.3072 = ~157.3 GFlops

Switch 2: Rumored Spec using Switch clocks.

Docked: 2048 x 2 x 0.768 = 3TF
Undocked boost: 2048 x 2 x 0.378 = 1.5TF
Undocked: 2048 x 2 x 0.307 = 1.2TF

10x Switch GPU performance accounting for architectural improvements since Tegra maxwell. Now add on top of that DLSS that is being rumored to have. Let's assume they are using the more mature 6nm fabrication, it allows for an efficient chip that draws roughly 10W of power.

Let's put it in perspective.

Snapdragon 8 gen 2 can run Genshin Impact at native 4K 30fps drawing 9W power.

And what is the battery for that?If you would take out your switch 2 to school or wherever how long will it last playing modern game?

Fabieter

It makes sense.

Switch
Docked: 256 x 2 x 0.768 = ~393.2 GFlops
Undocked boost: 256 x 2 x 0.378 = ~193.5 GFlops
Undocked: 256 x 2 x 0.3072 = ~157.3 GFlops

Switch 2: Rumored Spec using Switch clocks.

Docked: 2048 x 2 x 0.768 = 3TF
Undocked boost: 2048 x 2 x 0.378 = 1.5TF
Undocked: 2048 x 2 x 0.307 = 1.2TF

10x Switch GPU performance accounting for architectural improvements since Tegra maxwell. Now add on top of that DLSS that is being rumored to have. Let's assume they are using the more mature 6nm fabrication, it allows for an efficient chip that draws roughly 10W of power.

Let's put it in perspective.

Snapdragon 8 gen 2 can run Genshin Impact at native 4K 30fps drawing 9W power.

I just looked it up and your value for switch is far off by around 100%. Its close to 0.4 terraflops. Having 4 times the ress and double the fps is gonna be hard.

Marvel14

Banned
That is like the very very last thing that makes any sense
Me: your post doesn't make sense but let me throw you a bone, which i dont think, on reflection, makes sense.

You: your bone is the very very last thing that makes any sense.

Me: yeah no shit. it's a bone to try to make sense of your post.

Top Bottom