• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Immortals of Aveum cannot run at Native 4K/60fps on NVIDIA RTX 4090, even on Low Settings (drop to 34FPS)

Stuart360

damn... it looks atrocious on the S. there are games that run and look much much better than this one on that machine. this is simply ends not justifying the means situation at this point.

The fact its hitting 60fps at all is kind of impressive for a game this heavy.
It looks like i might manage 1080p/30 on my 1080ti, a gpu MUCH more powerful than the S.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Damn Unreal 5’s going to be nuts!
UE5_Announcement_Feed_Large-1920x1080-8c8ab609059186399d92ca5dc8a748e62880e0e7.jpg

Unreal 5
Immortals-Aveum-PV_05-24-23-1920x1080.jpg

Last edited:

Fbh

People laughed at me when I said Doom Eternal looks better, and as we’re seeing runs insanely better. This game looks generic, and runs like total garbage.

I wish there was some competition among game engines instead of the Unreal monopoly.

Graphically this does look better though.
The thing is, Doom Eternal has a nicer and more cohesive art direction and is really well optimized. I mean hell I played it at 1080p mid settings and mostly 60fps on a 1050ti

It's not really about if this looks better than doom but if the graphical upgrade compared to it is worth the insanely high requirements on PC (and low resolution on consoles). As with most recent current gen games, I'd say it isn't.

Stop blaming the engine. Blame the developers who have no knowledge and poor skills at optimizing things. I don't get why everyone is freaking out over UE5 lol. Plus, its an EA title made by a small team, what do you honestly expect? EA always has issues with rushing their developers for the sake of monetary gain. This game needed more time in the oven it seems like. Same thing was happening with Star Was Jedi Survivor.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
LOL holy shit.
While the graphics are obviously better the actual image quality reminds me of The Witcher 3 on Switch
The game on series s looks worse than any of the PS4 ports on switch. even hellblade which looked awful.

No idea why the fuck they targeted 60 fps on the series s. have some common fucking sense.

Series X looks really blurry too. this shouldve been a 30 fps game on the x and ps5.

Series s. Microblocking galore.
2cfdf6fa5659ab4e304f55f3e776d85b.png

Look at the wall textures literally squirming like tiny microogranisms.

The higher end consoles are also really bad.

Series s footage. Look at the ground textures textures.

V0jlArG.jpg

Last edited:
The game on series s looks worse than any of the PS4 ports on switch. even hellblade which looked awful.

No idea why the fuck they targeted 60 fps on the series s. have some common fucking sense.

Series X looks really blurry too. this shouldve been a 30 fps game on the x and ps5.

Series s. Microblocking galore.
2cfdf6fa5659ab4e304f55f3e776d85b.png

Look at the wall textures literally squirming like tiny microogranisms.

The higher end consoles are also really bad.

Series s footage. Look at the ground textures textures.

V0jlArG.jpg

UE5, nanite and Lumen sure are looking good these days.

Stuart360

Not very impressed with UE5 so far. It seems like even the games that look just like games from another engine are very hard to run, like they have a 'gpu tax' just from the fact its UE5.

It also makes me wonder if EPIC designed UE5 with 30fps in mind for consoles, you know they though this gen would be a 30fps for the majority of console games, like every past gen. The cuts needed in resolution and effects to get 60fps, even on XSX and PS5, makes me think thats probably true.

Not very impressed with UE5 so far. It seems like even the games that look just like games from another engine are very hard to run, like they have a 'gpu tax' just from the fact its UE5.

It also makes me wonder if EPIC designed UE5 with 30fps in mind for consoles, you know they though this gen would be a 30fps for the majority of console games, like every past gen. The cuts needed in resolution and effects to get 60fps, even on XSX and PS5, makes me think thats probably true.
Fortnite plays and looks amazing in UE5.

STALKER 2 also looks excellent, but we don't know yet how will perform exactly.

I think the issue here is trying to make the game run on the Series S imo and also poor developer experience when it comes to optimization.

Last edited:

Stuart360

I think the issue here is trying to make the game run on the Series S imo and also poor developer experience when it comes to optimization.
I'm not really sure what the Series S has to do with the game being very hard to run, even on a high end PC.
In fact if it was down to Series S, it would mean the game running well on better hardware. Plus the game runs at 60fps on the S already.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

If the main issue is getting the game to run on Series S, that would do nothing but benefit the PS5 and Series X versions. All 3 look muddy here and while PS5 has better IQ, it seems to have the worst performance out of all 3, even Series S has a better average performance going by the Open Surprise channel's video.

diffusionx

Gold Member
it does not matter how much they charge for it, what bullshit they say, Nvidia cards are not powerful enough and have not been since the 1080ti. That simple. They need to run all these gimmick algorithms to make the bare minimum of credibility for what they are trying to sell. Their idea of an exciting announcement is another gimmick algorithm.

The 4090 is just incredibly overpriced and underpowered and should have already been replaced with a more powerful, cheaper card. These new games are ripping these cards to shreds because the cards are not good enough to keep up with the new engines and features.

Last edited:

Stuart360

Unreal Engine
In a ironic twist upcalers (which funnily enough came out 3 or 4 years ago) are seemingly giving devs less reason to optimize.

A few years ago there would be a huge difference (at least with PC) between say low settings and ultra settings, a huge difference not only in looks but performance too. Today a game can still look nearly the same on low settings compared to ultra. It shouldnt be like that, its a lack of optimization.

Danknugz

how is it not obvious that posts like this are nonsense, given it's anyone's guess how little the dev optimized the game? you could get minesweeper to struggle 4k 60fps if you programmed it the right way.

Hot5pur

You'd think Epic would have an interest in working with at least one studio to put out a proper game that really showcases their engine. I liked how the unreal games did that once upon a time.
Maybe lords of the fallen will be it?

Also the way I see it DLSS is good enough that it should always be on. Frame gen is still iffy but it may get there. However this crap performance for marginal visual improvement is upsetting, especially with the prices. By the time the ps5pro rolls around it might be silly to build a PC for gaming if you're at all price conscious.

Personally going to try and squeeze another 2 years out of the rtx 3080 + DLSS, unless a game I care about won't run at 4k60 (or it has justifiably good raytracing and the 3080 chokes). Then go for a 5090 or 5080. I imagine the 5080 will be a step above the 4090 and hopefully around $1000 (the current $1200 for a 4080 is really bad value, should have been a $900 part max).

FeralEcho

And some people on here were laughing at some of us because we were asking for a PS5 Pro console... Even a fricking 4090 can't hold 60fps at native 4k without using DLSS3.
There's no need for a pro console cuz there's barely any next gen only games available for it,there's need for basic optimization cuz most developers nowadays don't know how to optimize shit but what can you expect when most companies nowadays are focused on being "progressive" and having a "good guy" image for the media by hiring the exact percentage of male,female,trans,gay,bi etc as if it's a fucking checklist just to not be cancelled and given bad publicity by mental retardation adicts like resetera instead of you know.....hiring based on talent....so no we don't need better hardware,we need better developers.

Same thing happened with Gotham Knights a game that looks and runs worse than its predecessor did 8 years ago on weaker hardware.

Kataploom

Gold Member

I don't think so, TSR is very frame rate dependant to make a good scanning iirc, it requires 60 fps minimum to avoid some artifacts or something like that, I'm not actually sure

SABRE220

Lol now this is an interesting strategy, hide your terrible incompetence in technical proficiency and optimization behind the super demanding wowza card. This game is no crysis not even close, its visuals are terribly lackluster for the tech and hardware at use. How did they manage to put in so many ps3 era assets and textures in a game with nanite and ue5...just an incompetent studio using ue5 as a buzz card.

Last edited:

Zathalus

If UE5 games are going to utilize Lumen and Nanite it would seem best to cap them to 30 on consoles. Otherwise people are just having to get used to 720p resolution.

SABRE220

Honestly fortnite is the only case of brilliant optimization and results on ue5 so far using lumen, nanite and vsm.
Stalker 2 has been significantly downgraded and has completely dropped lumen and bounce lighting, to the point it falls very flat in terms of lighting/ao etc. So far epic have been the only ones able to make this engine purr but the results are very impressive and make you hold out hope.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
This game doesn't look very fun to me. Now this performance setback? What is EA doing? This year, for triple A that's not a sports game (although madden blows too, just like every year), you got Jedi Survivor (to be fair it runs pretty well now outside of Koboh) and now this.

I think I'm gonna just chill off EA for a bit. Definitely no more day one purchases til they get their shit together.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Stop blaming the engine. Blame the developers who have no knowledge and poor skills at optimizing things. I don't get why everyone is freaking out over UE5 lol. Plus, its an EA title made by a small team, what do you honestly expect? EA always has issues with rushing their developers for the sake of monetary gain. This game needed more time in the oven it seems like. Same thing was happening with Star Was Jedi Survivor.

This game doesn't look very fun to me. Now this performance setback? What is EA doing? This year, for triple A that's not a sports game (although madden blows too, just like every year), you got Jedi Survivor (to be fair it runs pretty well now outside of Koboh) and now this.

I think I'm gonna just chill off EA for a bit. Definitely no more day one purchases til they get their shit together.

EA Originals is a publisher for (mostly) Indie developers.
They arent actually EA studios, and really should have another name cuz everything thinks EAO are EA studios.

Remember that EAO also published Unravel, It Takes Two, Lost in Random etc.

They sign the publishing deal but development is full on the err......developers.
So if you wanna throw shade at anyone its Ascendant....cuz EAO is a net positive for the industry.

If the main issue is getting the game to run on Series S, that would do nothing but benefit the PS5 and Series X versions. All 3 look muddy here and while PS5 has better IQ, it seems to have the worst performance out of all 3, even Series S has a better average performance going by the Open Surprise channel's video.

They arent actually EA studios, and really should have another name cuz everything thinks EAO are EA studios.

They sign the publishing deal but development is full on the err......developers.
So if you wanna throw shade at anyone its Ascendant....cuz EAO is a net positive for the industry.
Thanks for this.

Jigsaah

Gold Member

I thought the publisher decides what and when games get released though and can even have an influence on the creative side of things. Did the developer hit a wall and just said "this is all we can do, just release it?"

Is it more because it's UE5? Has Epic themselves also had performance issues with say....Fortnite? I don't know any other Epic-developed games using Nanite and Lumen. Remnant II's performance was also a joke and without that great of a difference in terms of visuals.

Filben

Low preset doesn't have to mean anything if they fuck up their visual scaling like in A Plague Tale Requiem. Miniscule difference from low to high visually and hence no real impact on performance.

I see that in countless games where some graphics settings either doesn't change anything noticeable or it does change but the performance stays more or less the same.

However, what I'm seeing from this very game looks kind of "normal" but nothing that warrants this performance.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
I thought the publisher decides what and when games get released though and can even have an influence on the creative side of things. Did the developer hit a wall and just said "this is all we can do, just release it?"

Is it more because it's UE5? Has Epic themselves also had performance issues with say....Fortnite? I don't know any other Epic-developed games using Nanite and Lumen. Remnant II's performance was also a joke and without that great of a difference in terms of visuals.

EAO specifically leaves developers alone, they are just an indie publishing arm of EA kinda like how Private Division is an indie publishing arm of Take-Two but doesnt actually develop the games, you pitch it, say when you can release it and hope they agree, why a seperate entity, well that way the publisher doesnt have same constraints as with their own projects.
Ascendant has full creative control and ownership of their IPs.

Using Nanite and Lumen is still heavy in Unreal Engine 5, Lumen is realtime global illumination after all with reflections and AO, both technologies def help in the authoring of projects and are legit godsends, but we have yet to see how performant devs can get the technologies.
Mucking about in Unreal im still somewhat bemused that these games are so heavy theres gotta be something else going on under the hood, but I dont own Remnant 2 or Immortals and have no desire to buy them.
Im just curious how retail UE5 runs on console, around UE5.1 I told people you will see games running at 720p - 1080p internal and they laughed at me.

Top Bottom