• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Immortals of Aveum- Your PC isn't ready for UE5 (PC System Requirements Analysis)

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Sorry, but hearsay is not data. Especially without context.

Which Dev? Which studio? Which Platform? All games in general or just particular games? If it was for all games, how would that dev have access to that information?

Fortunately, we do have some data available: Xbox keeps track of the most played games and there's something interesting: The top most played games all run at 60 FPS. In fact, 60 FPS games are by far the most popular games being played.

That's the worse way to do data analysis lol.

I don't believe that's the case at all, every pool and article I read and my own experience in forums and real life tell me that performance is pretty much a default for most players, and it makes sense, 60fps is way more noticeable than RT, most games look exactly the same between performance and quality thanks to image reconstruction, there are very few drawbacks in choosing performance mode.

Colin owns a indie video game company and that's the data he heard from another dev. But it does sound like that data was from the late PS4 era.

Last edited:

Ovech-King

Gold Member
Interesting title because the latest gameplay trailer writes at the bottom « running on ps5 4K 60 fps » and well, the ps5 is not state of the art in 2023 so 🤔

Krathoon

Interesting title because the latest gameplay trailer writes at the bottom « running on ps5 4K 60 fps » and well, the ps5 is not state of the art in 2023 so 🤔
Yeah. It did not seem like it was in 720p either. So, I kind of think there is some B.S. going on or they really went nuts with the PC version and most people will just have to lower the settings to PS5 quality.

Spyxos

Gold Member
Remnant of the Ashes 2 the other Unreal Engine 5 game runs at.

Quality mode 1296p 30 fps
Balance mode 792p
Perf mode 720p

4k 60 is certainly not archivable there.

Last edited:

Ovech-King

Gold Member

Quality mode 1296p
Balance mode 792p
Perf mode 720p

4k 60 is certainly not achievebale there.
Didn’t know that it was unreal 5 as well . Hmm could it be that the deep pockets of EA give them the chance to work more on optimization than the team of Remnant 2 ? That would be my only guess

Spyxos

Gold Member
Didn’t know that it was unreal 5 as well . Hmm could it be that the deep pockets of EA give them the chance to work more on optimization than the team of Remnant 2 ? That would be my only guess
Might be possible. The Ea team certainly had more resources than the small Indi Studio. but even on the Pc the requirements are already very high.

Rykan

That's the worse way to do data analysis lol.

Colin owns a indie video game company and that's the data he heard from another dev. But it does sound like that data was from the late PS4 era.
It's currently the only data we have available on the subject. Well, aside from nearly every single poll on the internet on the topic showing a significant preference for performance mode

Last edited:

mckmas8808

It's currently the only data we have available on the subject. Well, aside from nearly every single poll on the internet on the topic showing a significant preference for performance mode

Those polls are going out to video hard core that would be in a position to answer a poll about that. If a game is good or great and looks and plays good, most gamers don't care that it's 30fps only.

Kakax11

Banned

Quality mode 1296p 30 fps
Balance mode 792p
Perf mode 720p

4k 60 is certainly not archivable there.

Remember when Tim Sweeney said PS5 can run UE5 better than PC?? welp

FuqhyaeXsAExANM

Fbh

Colin Moriarty talked about hearing that the data that devs are getting is that most gamers are "choosing" 30fps over 60fps in games that offer both. He said this on his podcast.

If I remember correctly he said one friend who worked on an undisclosed AAA game told him people are choosing the 30fps resolution mode over the 60fps performance one. In fact he was told a majority of players in that game are choosing the 30fps mode even though the game actually defaults to the 60fps one.

But one comment from one undisclosed individual working on one undisclosed game is hardly conclusive data either.

Unless it specifies it's native 4K and locked 60fps that doesn't mean much these days.
The gameplay of an upscaled 720p 45fps game like FFXVI or Remnant 2 or Jedi Survivor is still technically "captured at 4K 60fps".

As an example here's the official Jedi Survivor site claiming there's a 4K locked 30fps mode

l9I4O02.jpg

When we now know it's just upscaled 1080p and it's not even locked 30fps either.

Last edited:

Rykan

Those polls are going out to video hard core that would be in a position to answer a poll about that. If a game is good or great and looks and plays good, most gamers don't care that it's 30fps only.
There's no data available that supports such a claim, and considering that the vast majority of games on PS5/XSX come with a 60 FPS modes, which requires extra effort, it's unlikely to be true.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

If I remember correctly he said one friend who worked on an undisclosed AAA game told him people are choosing the 30fps resolution mode over the 60fps performance one. In fact he was told a majority of players in that game are choosing the 30fps mode even though the game actually defaults to the 60fps one.

But one comment from one undisclosed individual working on one undisclosed game is hardly conclusive data either.

Yes, this is EXACTLY what he said. Glad someone else heard that too. I'm willing to believe him over some guys on GAF just guessing people demand 60fps in every game though. At least he's closer to the facts than we are.

There's no data available that supports such a claim, and considering that the vast majority of games on PS5/XSX come with a 60 FPS modes, which requires extra effort, it's unlikely to be true.

Most games have been cross-gen games too though. This won't be the case in 2024.

Last edited:

Rykan

Most games have been cross-gen games too though. This won't be the case in 2024.
The vast majority of current gen only titles include a high framerate mode. This is certainly not exclusive to cross gen only games.

Last edited:
Top Bottom