• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony signs agreement with MS to keep COD on PS

M.W.

What a year to make that happen, lol.

Sledgehammer's MWIII is surely going to be a hit.

Last edited:
Yes. You can buy the game outright. You can get it day and date on Gamepass. You can play it via Xcloud on your phone.
You are just looking at it through the blinkers of a Sony player. Not everything revolves around Sony.
Tell me then, what happens if I am playing Starfield for example on my phone, and then my phone loses connection to the cloud servers for whatever reason? Whoops, there goes my session, hope I didn't lose any progress. Quite a difference from playing on my PS5 console, where if I lose internet connection, no problem, just keep playing the single player game that I was enjoying.

LordCBH

What a year to make that happen, lol.

Sledgehammer's MWIII is surely to be a hit.

Sledgehammer?

puke GIF

93xfan

Banned
Tell me then, what happens if I am playing Starfield for example on my phone, and then my phone loses connection to the cloud servers for whatever reason?
I’d say phone a friend, but it sounds like you have no cellular connection. Maybe you could use Maps to locate… wait Nevermind.

Tuck into a ball and scream as loud as you can until help arrives. Rock back and forth a little to soothe yourself in between screams.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
But isn't the Ultimate tier the only one that has online play included, as the base gamepass tier doesn't include it? So that's a big difference considering a lot of Microsoft's first party games have online multiplayer. It wouldn't seem to make much sense to spend $200+ per year for a subscription only to then spend even more money on games leaving the service, at least to me anyways.

Also, the games with gold offerings nowadays are just a pile of shit, and have been for quite a while, especially when compared to PS Plus Essential tier offerings. As for those loopholes available for Gamepass, yeah I am aware of them, though I highly doubt Nadella will keep them around for that much longer, especially now that the ABK merger is about to get completed. They already tightened the screws on the gold conversion for gamepass recently, and I'm sure they'll completely do away with all the loopholes by 2028 in time for the next console generation.
As I said before, you can get GP deals much cheaper. Also, even for people paying full price at $200, so do lots of people who sub to NF at $200/yr too.

As for the "loophole", it's no loophole. It's been promoted since 2019 and it's not going anywhere. They just revised it so instead of getting 3 years of GPU on a gold upgrade, you now get two years. They arent going to suddenly axe the entire deal.

I get it that you're trying to make GP look bad, but this thread is really about COD and PS, not GP.

-Zelda-

Banned
"We look forward to a future where players globally have more choice to play their favorite games."

Cool! How about letting Sony and Nintendo have access to Infinite Undiscovery, Blue Dragon, Fable trilogy? Then sony and nintendo can give you some stuff as well from that era. That would be really nice, even though it wont happen.

yurinka

I expect a much more aggressive sony after this and in the end all consumers will lose.
Why would Sony going to lose consumers, specially if CoD continues on PS?

Sony continues being over 2:1 in most metrics regarding console and game subs over MS and Sony's games continue being super successful and Sony is growing not only in consoles but in many other areas too (MP, GaaS, PC, mobile, movies/tv shows, eSports, accesories, even theme partk rides...).

I think Sony will continue with the current strategy they already have.

Last edited:

Sleepwalker

But who in there right mind would buy COD for 89.99$ CAD for PS when you can have it on game pass that’s the question.
If you only have a PS5 do you

A) keep buying COD on your existing console for 89.99 CAD once a year

B) spend $600cad + tax + $18.99 cad + tax per month for gamepass

Realistically if people are going to switch, they will do it for next gen. 5 more years of full priced COD is less than a series X will cost you.

Last edited:
Tell me then, what happens if I am playing Starfield for example on my phone, and then my phone loses connection to the cloud servers for whatever reason? Whoops, there goes my session, hope I didn't lose any progress. Quite a difference from playing on my PS5 console, where if I lose internet connection, no problem, just keep playing the single player game that I was enjoying.
What if your power cuts out while you're playing? Poof. Lights out. Quite a difference from playing on my Switch console, where if I lose power, no problem, just keep playing in handheld mode the game I was enjoying.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
The own the show IP though. The narrative of the pushing them to go multiplatform was and is as valid as me saying that Xbox and Nintendo were incapable of producing a studio talented enough to make a baseball game in 20 years that they've had the license. Because that's how long they've had the opportunity and didn't.

MLB 'forces' Sony's San Diego Studio to release MLB: The Show 2021 on Xbox​

Microsoft responds by immediately slating it as a Game Pass freebie​

There is really nothing that Sony can do about the situation. While Sony-owned San Diego Studio is the developer, the Major League Baseball Association still owns the MLB license. The association decided to extend that license to other platforms. It could have dissented and lost the license altogether, but Sony agreed with taking the game in this direction.

Source

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

There is really nothing that Sony can do about the situation. While Sony-owned San Diego Studio is the developer, the Major League Baseball Association still owns the MLB license. The association decided to extend that license to other platforms. It could have dissented and lost the license altogether, but Sony agreed with taking the game in this direction.

Source
They actually could. Dont make MLB games so Xbox and Switch dont get copies either. But in their best interest, it's better to make games for all platforms.

Last edited:
Pointless 10 year deal, it was allways coming to PlayStation, too much money to lose not releasing on PlayStation. The point is how many cod players are going switch to Xbox, once ms starts increasing the price of cod outside of gamepass.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
Not having a ton of exclusives? How many exclusives do they need? God of War? Last of Us? Uncharted? Ghost of….
Like how many more could they have?

No one will admit it because nobody with functioning brain is stupid enough to think that Sony is going anywhere…
I really hope I missed this post being a joke.

Last week we had Xbox is doomed threads, Xbox will go 3rd party. Are we going to switch it up this week and have a bunch of stupid Sony is doomed threads?

tmlDan

If you only have a PS5 do you

A) keep buying COD on your existing console for 89.99 CAD once a year

B) spend $600cad + tax + $18.99 cad + tax per month for gamepass

Realistically if people are going to switch, they will do it for next gen. 5 more years of full priced COD is less than a series X will cost you.
or just...switch to another game like Apex, this obsession with COD needs to end, its had one good game over almost a decade (MW2, maybe MW) and hasn't been good since COD 2

Think of it like The Show on Xbox and Switch. If it was such a bad deal to support multiplats, Sony wouldnt have gave in and do ports. Win win for baseball gamers on all platforms.

Wasn’t this a case of MLB forcing them, there’s no way I could see Sony going multi platform with this game otherwise.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Wasn’t this a case of MLB forcing them, there’s no way I could see Sony going multi platform with this game otherwise.
Thats what the consensus has been from the beginning. Make MLB multiplat or lose access to the license. Sony decided to do it and support all console platforms.

Sleepwalker

or just...switch to another game like Apex, this obsession with COD needs to end, its had one good game over almost a decade (MW2, maybe MW) and hasn't been good since COD 2
Yeah I mean I dont play cod more than a few hours a year, I was just illustrating that it doesnt make sense switching even if its "free" on a sub and its all you play.

But I agree with your point as well. The glory days of COD for me are long gone.

C2brixx

“We look forward to a future where players globally have more choice to play their favorite games.”

So, because one single franchise will be multi-platform while a dozen others go Xbox-only, we somehow have “more choice”?
I think folks are jumping the gun on all "other" Activision games being exclusive. The CoD deal is just a regulatory guarantee MS had to make. Other Activision games will come to Playstation, but they (Microsoft) wants to dictate what those games are as apposed to being required to spend resources to developing games for other platforms.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I would rather not sign shit. Take it out of PlayStation and see it crumble.
Youre the minority Bo.

The vast majority of the 10M COD gamers on PS would rather keep playing than abandon ship to spite a deal made between two giant corporations with branded game boxes. A lot of casual gamers dont even know or cares what happens in MS/Activision deal. All they care about is having fun playing COD, which will be on PS systems for 10 more years.

And Jim Ryan and gang agree. So they signed the deal.

Last edited:

Trogdor1123

I guess it depends on the cut Sony gets from each sale I suppose. My guess is that it’s better than the 30% currently used

C2brixx

I would rather not sign shit. Take it out of PlayStation and see it crumble.
Would be an interesting case study. I think the deal will entrench CoD's dominance and make it more difficult for Sony or anyone else to develop a true competitor. Continuing the game on Playstation for 10 years as apposed to a shorter period of time just slows down the urgency for Sony to develop a competitor.

Del_X

Do we know the specifics?

Like does this mean Sony’s Live Service games will come to Xbox/PC? Could this also mean MSFT gets to keep the smaller 20% royalty Activision pays for CoD on PS?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

Like does this mean Sony’s Live Service games will come to Xbox/PC? Could this also mean MSFT gets to keep the smaller 20% royalty Activision pays for CoD on PS?

The only thing we know is that it's a 10 year agreement, and that it's only for CoD and no other Activision game.

Nothing on the specifics of platform/services.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

Sony's GAAS are already stated coming to PC. We just dont know the details what the games are and the timing. It's assumed GAAS will day one on PC to maximize user count and building momentum, but technically they dont have to do day one PS and PC. They could stagger the PC version to come later if they wanted to.

Dlacy13g

So basically Sony is ultimately going to take an L on this as while they are getting COD for 10yrs that is all they are getting vs previously MS had been offering up all Activision content to them through 2027. I fully expect the rumored Blizzard survival game will now go exclusive to Xbox / PC.

FrankWza

Source
An opinion piece? Who wrote that, you riky and darkmage?

The only quote in the article is :

"As part of the goal for this year's game, MLB decided to bring the franchise to more players and baseball fans," a PlayStation spokesperson told Inverse. "This decision provides a unique opportunity to further establish MLB The Show as the premier brand for baseball video games."

The rest is opinion. There was no PlayStation exclusivity because RBI baseball was on xbox and Switch. Xbox could have made an MLB game anytime they wanted. But, when you have to spend 80 billion dollars to have" first party" that's not an option because you don't have the talent in your studios.

Topher

Gold Member
So basically Sony is ultimately going to take an L on this as while they are getting COD for 10yrs that is all they are getting vs previously MS had been offering up all Activision content to them through 2027. I fully expect the rumored Blizzard survival game will now go exclusive to Xbox / PC.

MS only offered franchises that are already on PS. That would not have applied to any new IP including the Blizzard survival game.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
The rest is opinion. There was no PlayStation exclusivity because RBI baseball was on xbox and Switch. Xbox could have made an MLB game anytime they wanted. But, when you have to spend 80 billion dollars to have" first party" that's not an option because you don't have the talent in your studios.
Nice jab at MS that had nothing to do with the baseball talk.

Besides, why have any internal studio make a baseball game when the competitor will make it for them?

YCoCg

Imagine signing a deal that makes Crash and Spyro Xbox exclusive, great work Jim, Shawn Layden helped bring back Crash and this is what you do.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
The people saying they don’t play CoD, wouldn’t you have rather had 3 more years of the rest of the upcoming games from the Activision/Blizzard teams? Or do you only care about Sony getting more money for 7 additional years from only CoD, a series you don’t play.

Just seems funny that so many here say they don’t play CoD, but care so much that Sony gets to keep it. It just seems like you are rooting for a corporation to make money, a corporation that doesn’t care about you.

Top Bottom