• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony signs agreement with MS to keep COD on PS

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Really embarrassing to see takes like this, like how hard can it be to read and use your brain?

Is this the new script?

What am I missing? It seems like Sony played hard ball, Jim openly said things like i just want to block your merger and now Playstation is getting a worse deal than before?

Last edited:

Moses85

VxaNmAh.jpg
Best, the absolute best!

Season 9 Thank You GIF by The Office

Thirty7ven

Banned
What am I missing? It seems like Sony played hard ball, Jim openly said things like i just want to block your merger and now Playstation is getting a worse deal than before?

It was a 4 year deal for COD, that turned into a 10 year deal for COD. According to the email of course.

If you want to speculate that Sony could’ve gotten a ten year deal for all AB games then go ahead, but the deal didn’t get worse than the one in the email. It got way better, and to be perfectly honest, with Diablo 4 already out there’s nothing else to AB aside from COD that matters.

Last edited:
It was a 4 year deal for COD, that turned into a 10 year deal for COD. According to the email of course.

If you want to speculate that Sony could’ve gotten a ten year deal for all AB games then go ahead, but the deal didn’t get worse than the one in the email. It got way better, and to be perfectly honest, with Diablo 4 already out there’s nothing else to AB aside from COD that matters.

I believe someone also said the deal has a clause for renewal so it can extend past 10 years.

Last edited:

Murdok

>Spend resources embargoing a merger
>Spoil the good relationship with ABK
>Gain hate from the general public
>Decline a favorable settlement proposal >Cheers for the rejection of the merger
>See the purchase being authorized
>Look for MS to make a deal without so many guarantees to use to your advantage >Get a worse contract than the initial one >Watch fanboys applaud the "business strategy"
Congratulations to Sony. It was brilliant to turn down the deal.

Last edited:

Thirty7ven

Banned
>Spend resources embargoing a merger >Spoil the good relationship with ABK
>Decline a favorable settlement proposal >Cheers for the rejection of the merger
>Look for MS to make a deal without so many guarantees to use to your advantage >Get a worse contract than the initial one >Watch fanboys applaud the "business strategy" Congratulations to Sony. It was brilliant to turn down the deal.

Try and prove 2, 3, 6, 7 but without making shit up.

Sony

Nintendo
Sony must reflect on what can of worms they have opened in their efforts to order to have access to CoD. Nobody in their right minds believed that Microsoft would pull CoD from PlayStation. Yet Sony's efforts threw the dirty laundry of the industry on the streets and with what result? They ended up exactly where they began.

Bernardougf

Gold Member
Honest question since I dont follow ABK so close

Can someone please give a list of any ABK games confirmed and in development, outside of COD, to launch until 2027

I asked in the other thread and didnt get any answers... so .. lets try here

Tell me then, what happens if I am playing Starfield for example on my phone, and then my phone loses connection to the cloud servers for whatever reason? Whoops, there goes my session, hope I didn't lose any progress. Quite a difference from playing on my PS5 console, where if I lose internet connection, no problem, just keep playing the single player game that I was enjoying.
Tell me then, what happens if I am playing on my PS5 and then my house loses power for whatever reason. Whoops, there goes my session. I hope I didn't lose any progress.
Quite different from playing on my phone via could, where if the power goes out, no problem, just keep playing my online game...

Last edited:
Tell me then, what happens if I am playing on my PS5 and then my house loses power for whatever reason. Whoops, there goes my session. I hope I didn't lose any progress.
Quite different from playing on my phone via could, where if the power goes out, no problem, just keep playing my online game...

Until your phone runs out of batteries.

JCK75

Next gen will be interesting where Sony bitches about COD not running well on Sony hardware while refusing to give them devkits.

Ar¢tos

Next gen will be interesting where Sony bitches about COD not running well on Sony hardware while refusing to give them devkits.
Stop spreading these lies.
They will get final devkits before console release like every other 3rd party studio.
They simply won't get the prototypes/alphas and will have no input in the console/controller features like 1st party studios and a few selected 3rd party partners.

JCK75

Stop spreading these lies.
They will get final devkits before console release like every other 3rd party studio.
They simply won't get the prototypes/alphas and will have no input in the console/controller features like 1st party studios and a few selected 3rd party partners.

How can speculation be a lie? it hasn't happened yet.

Ar¢tos

How can speculation be a lie? it hasn't happened yet.
So you are speculating that Activision will magically make ANY version (regardless of quality) of COD for PS6 WITHOUT any devkit?
That's not how game development works...
No devkit = no game, good or bad.

jumpship

Let me get this straight.

Without MS: All future Activision Blizzard games to Playstation with no end date.

With MS: Only COD restricted to 10 years.

And with a straight face say "We look forward to a future where players globally have more choice to play their favorite games"

"MORE CHOICE"

karl pilkington bullshit GIF

It's been 18 months of MS peddling this BS. From the original Halo to present day MS has done nothing but have to buy games of any relevancy.

BS filter removed
"We look forward to a future where players globally have no choice to play their favorite games"

Ar¢tos

Let me get this straight.

Without MS: All future Activision Blizzard games to Playstation with no end date.

With MS: Only COD restricted to 10 years.

And with a straight face say "We look forward to a future where players globally have more choice to play their favorite games"

"MORE CHOICE"

karl pilkington bullshit GIF

It's been 18 months of MS peddling this BS. From the original Halo to present day MS has done nothing but have to buy games of any relevancy.

BS filter removed
"We look forward to a future where players globally have no choice to play their favorite games"
That's what consolidation gets you...
Now Sony is probably going to buy some 3rd party publisher, then MS buys another, etc until there are only 1st party studios and indies and the only way to play every game is playing on PC.

Cyberpunkd

So Sony is that dependent on COD revenue?

I’ve been confused on that detail as well, considering how many amazing studios and games they have, being that reliant on someone else’s game is a big liability.
They are not, but Sony opposing ABK acquisition was a play with no downsides - they didn't risk anything from opposing the merger, and had everything to gain. It would have been stupid not to at least try and block it.

The reason they are keeping COD on PlayStation is because COD could not survive on the XBOX and PC only especially if it keeps it’s very high production values and budget. I’m pretty sure even Microsoft knows when COD eventually hits Gamepass, it very unlikely it will make near as money as it did before on a subscription service alone.

nemiroff

Gold Member
I'm pretty sure this is already mentioned, but I guess it's safe to say this means the end of Playstation exclusive CoD content..

"We look forward to a future where players globally have more choice to play their favorite games."

Can't wait to revisit this in the coming years.

Zok310

Banned
The reason they are keeping COD on PlayStation is because COD could not survive on the XBOX and PC only especially if it keeps it’s very high production values and budget. I’m pretty sure even Microsoft knows when COD eventually hits Gamepass, it very unlikely it will make near as money as it did before on a subscription service alone.
Regulators would have blocked the merger if MS did not guarantee COD on PS, EU and UK for sure.

FrankWza

Unless a studio already has a baseball game to keep going, it's not worth the hassle. Baseball is a very US focused sport. The game series sells approximately 1M copies per year on PS systems. That's it. And this comes from The Show which is a good series and been around for ages. So it's got legacy. Any company trying to make a new fully featured baseball game like The Show from scratch wouldnt be worth the pay off as it wouldnt even come close to The Show sales to begin with never mind the risk of it being crap too.
I agree. Which makes the forced narrative more ridiculous. MLB would have been hung out with zero legitimate representation in the video game space if Sony said no to any kind of ultimatum by MLB, which is notoriously bad at marketing compared to other major sports. Sony never had exclusivity for MLB that Xbox or Nintendo couldn't have had at any time since '06.
This ensures that it can't be leveraged. That and the exposed internal emails and Jimbo did what he needed to do. There was a Crash game that released a few weeks ago. Nobody here knows it.

JCK75

So you are speculating that Activision will magically make ANY version (regardless of quality) of COD for PS6 WITHOUT any devkit?
That's not how game development works...
No devkit = no game, good or bad.

If a COD game is going to be ready at launch, and as Jim Ryan says they won't tell Activision the specs of the console until they can get a Dev kit that puts a bit of a hamper on having the game
well optimized for the sytem potentially... it's all speculation but that COULD lead to early games being less than ideal on the system.. but with Sony being so whiny about this shit will they then accuse
Microsoft of sabotaging the port?

AmuroChan

If a COD game is going to be ready at launch, and as Jim Ryan says they won't tell Activision the specs of the console until they can get a Dev kit that puts a bit of a hamper on having the game
well optimized for the sytem potentially... it's all speculation but that COULD lead to early games being less than ideal on the system.. but with Sony being so whiny about this shit will they then accuse

It doesn't matter by that point since the deal would already be closed. They were being whiny during the court hearings because they were trying to get the deal blocked, but now that it's through, it's back to business as usual.

Ar¢tos

Studios are made aware of paper specs when they are final and final devkits are sent around 6 months before the console launches. 6 months is more than enough to optimize a crossgen game that will hardly use the new features of a console,
When did we have a launch 3rd party multiplatform crossgen game blowing minds at launch?

blakdecaf

>Spend resources embargoing a merger
>Spoil the good relationship with ABK
>Look for MS to make a deal without so many guarantees to use to your advantage >Get a worse contract than the initial one >Watch fanboys applaud the "business strategy"
Congratulations to Sony. It was brilliant to turn down the deal.

Nobody but us gamer nerds really give a shit. The general public will still be buying PlayStation's hand over fist because its PlayStation.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Also people forget to factor in the cash that Activision was sitting on, which was stated as $16 billion.
Good point. I didn’t know that. So basically about 22% of the buy out is getting their own money back. That’s a risk averse part of the deal. Better than activision having $0 cash and $16B of equity is it’s tied up in weird shit.

Drizzlehell

Banned
In my completely unfounded and unverified opinion, Activision probably told MS that their primary money-maker will remain multi-platform or the deal is off. There's no way that they would put themselves in the same position as other studios, where MS first made promises and later cut them off from a substantial portion of a paying audience by not releasing their games on PlayStation.

This whole "We look forward to a future where players globally have more choice to play their favorite games." is such a slimy lie, lol.

gandalf-keep.gif

dem

In my completely unfounded and unverified opinion, Activision probably told MS that their primary money-maker will remain multi-platform or the deal is off. There's no way that they would put themselves in the same position as other studios, where MS first made promises and later cut them off from a substantial portion of a paying audience by not releasing their games on PlayStation.

This whole "We look forward to a future where players globally have more choice to play their favorite games." is such a slimy lie, lol.

gandalf-keep.gif

You understand none of this matters to Activision anymore? The shareholders will be paid out. They sold themselves. Activision is Microsoft.

The future of the company doesn’t matter anymore to anybody but Microsoft share holders.

Last edited:
Top Bottom