• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft’s 10-Year COD Agreement with Nintendo Covers All Future Activision Blizzard Releases, Only COD for Sony

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavJay

2027? Seems Sony just got got. They already released overwatch 2 and diablo 4. No way there will be anything significant by then. That and the wording means MS loopholes themselves into scenario where they technically could just delay games passed that date and skip PS with nothing at all.

Last edited:
Well that’s a way to foreclose on your nearest competitor. Offer everything to everyone else and take mostly everything away from one.

M1987

Call of duty is struggling with putting out a game every year as is. I'm going to laugh if this agreement with Nintendo completely degrades the quality of of cod because they can't keep up. They already have all their studios working on call of duty; where are all these extra people going to come from to put out a nintendo version?
343 industries

hlm666

You know that fuck around and find out gif/image being thrown at microsoft in the other thread? They fucked around and found out, nintendo didn't.

ZehDon

Gold Member
Damn the Switch/Switch 2 is actually going to be the baseline spec for COD/ABK games going forward that’s crazy.

My reasoning before was based on Phil Spencer’s court testimony where he admitted COD on Switch would be a different game from Xboc/PlayStation.
Lol, disastrous take. This is no truer than the OG Xbox being the "baseline spec" for Doom 3 or Half-Life 2, or that the Switch was the "baseline spec" for The Witcher 3 or Ark Survival Evolved. Microsoft spinning up a porting studio whose job is to rebuild COD for Switch could easily pay for itself and then some. I'd also imagine a company like Nintendo would waive certain feature parity items - such as cross play or voice chat - when they don't align with their particular brand of walled garden.

Tommi84

tHEKI4M.jpg

Uughh, no. Not you Sony-girls and Sony-guys.

Last edited:

Kerotan

This just further proves how Nintendo is an indirect competitor to MS where as Sony is a direct competitor.

Thirty7ven

Banned
Lol, disastrous take. This is no truer than the OG Xbox being the "baseline spec" for Doom 3 or Half-Life 2, or that the Switch was the "baseline spec" for The Witcher 3 or Ark Survival Evolved. Microsoft spinning up a porting studio whose job is to rebuild COD for Switch could easily pay for itself and then some. I'd also imagine a company like Nintendo would waive certain feature parity items - such as cross play or voice chat - when they don't align with their particular brand of walled garden.

So let me get this right, first I say Nintendo isn’t getting the same game, get called on it because the agreement states native versions with feature and content parity, so I take the logical conclusion that it becomes the new baseline target spec, and you say it’s a disastrous take because signed agreements are for idiots and Nintendo is getting a different game?

Can’t keep up. Native, content and feature parity means not a cloud version and it absolutely means crossplay.

Fortnite has crossplay so don’t give me that BS about “walled gardens”

Last edited:

Murdok

>Spend resources embargoing a merger
>Spoil the good relationship with ABK
>Gain hate from the general public
>Decline a favorable settlement proposal
>Cheers for the rejection of the merger
>See the purchase being authorized
>Look for MS to make a deal without so many guarantees to use to your advantage
>Get a worse contract than the initial one
>Watch fanboys applaud the "business strategy"

Congratulations to Sony. It was brilliant to turn down the deal.

Last edited:

Sanepar

Well I think they were clear when they said they want to put Sony out of business. Everything now depends on Sony moves.

Nah your just upset.

Sanepar

General public cheering this aquisition is stupid. MS consolidate this industry will backfire general public ass soon or later. No big tech is your friend.

Rykan

The WiiU wasn’t the baseline for COD the last time it was on a Nintendo console. Why this narrative now?
That's a completely different situation. The Wiiu wasn't the weakest system those versions came out, or at least it was comparable to Xbox 360 and PS3. The next Switch definitely isn't going to be on par with PS5 and XSS/X.

Last edited:

ZehDon

Gold Member
So let me get this right, first I say Nintendo isn’t getting the same game, get called on it because the agreement states native versions with feature and content parity, so I take the logical conclusion that it becomes the new baseline target spec, and you say it’s a disastrous take because signed agreements are for idiots and Nintendo is getting a different game?

Can’t keep up. Native, content and feature parity means not a cloud version and it absolutely means crossplay.

Fortnite has crossplay so don’t give me that BS about “walled gardens”
There's a galaxy sitting between your two assumptions and you know it. Playing the fool here does nothing. I've already explained that the games can be rebuilt if Microsoft want to invent the time and money - and they evidently do - and I've explained that crossplay is only a requirement if Nintendo wants it. In the event that Nintendo do want it, there's little in Call of Duty's multiplayer that can't be achieved on the Switch as is if the content is remade accordingly. This is part where you start arguing symantics, conflating presentation with features using quotation marks.

nial

Gold Member

twitter and resetera are not the general public

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Jim messed up big time, he could of signed the deal with all Activision games as a back up but publicly opposed the deal and still tried to stop it.

Man, you forgot a big one.

>Continue to massively outsell your closest competitor, even after they make all these acquisitions

Unknown?

What about blizzard now? Overwatch? Diablo? Those are huge franchises
They will only get one or none releases in 10 years so.... Microsoft really knows how to devalue, with the lost Blizzard/Acti revenue they will be worth a lot less.

Anyway everyone knows the deals with Microsoft are as good as trash.

They claimed Zenimax wasn't to remove games from other platforms but as soon as the deal was done they did just that.

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

What have Activision made CoD aside in the past 10 years? Crash, Spyro and THPS 1&2 - was there anything else?

This was never about the games for Sony, it was about the potential removal of a massive yearly revenue stream (CoD).
I for one hope that the takeover will allow Activision to make smaller games again. I don't care about CoD or the new Diablo, I would gladly play (and pay for) THPS 3+4, Prototype remake, new Spyro / Crash or something else from their IP portfolio.

DryvBy

COD is the only consistent thing Activision puts out. Diablo 4 was over 10 years since Diablo 3.

So yeah unless they're finally putting out THPS3+4 out, I can't name anything coming out that'll be worth it.

Unknown?

I for one hope that the takeover will allow Activision to make smaller games again. I don't care about CoD or the new Diablo, I would gladly play (and pay for) THPS 3+4, Prototype remake, new Spyro / Crash or something else from their IP portfolio.
They don't have the talent to make those new editions of those games, though the remakes could be doable.

Dane

That's a completely different situation. The Wiiu wasn't the weakest system those versions came out, or at least it was comparable to Xbox 360 and PS3. The next Switch definitely isn't going to be on par with PS5 and XSS/X.
Wii had good ports of call of duty up to Black Ops, these ports are never made by the main studio but someone else, only Treyarch had a Wii team.

Jigsaah

Gold Member

Competition is good. That video actually made me smile.

Rykan

Wii had good ports of call of duty up to Black Ops, these ports are never made by the main studio but someone else, only Treyarch had a Wii team.
Fair point, but it's probably Warzone that's going to be the biggest challenge.

blakdecaf

2027? Seems Sony just got got. They already released overwatch 2 and diablo 4. No way there will be anything significant by then. That and the wording means MS loopholes themselves into scenario where they technically could just delay games passed that date and skip PS with nothing at all.

Its also interesting to see if COD will be at all relevant by then anyway. Halo is dead on its arse, and kids and streamers love battle royale's and looter shooters.
If they can keep it interesting and move the series forward in a big way then its got a chance, but who knows the 'next big thing' will be then. Maybe they'll just focus on Warzone.

I'd be more excited about all the older games together on Gamepass rather than anything new.

Last edited:

SSfox

Sucks, I wish COD was also removed from PS.

But I guess it was needed for the survival of the IP, and for Ms to gain back a little bit of the 68b spent.

NahaNago

This is a great pr piece for Microsoft, but Actibliz doesn't release that many game on console outside of Cod or am I missing something.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Honestly I think MS sees Nintendo going third party when the landscape is nothing but service apps. Which is probably a bad thing to do as Nintendo like life.. always finds a way.

Am I reading this wrong? Looks like the initial deal was until 2027 for all current activation franchises, but Sony instead signed a 10 year deal just for COD? Seems like a no brainer if the terms were favorable to both parties (2027 Vs. 2032).

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Both Sony and Nintendo lose. Most of these games won't even run on Nintendo consoles and Sony gets only CoD. MS is a genius.

This is hilarious! Initially MS was offering them the same deal they offered to Nintendo (ALL Activision/Blizzard content for 10 years).

Jim said: "I don't want a new deal, I just want to block your merger!"

He put up a good fight, until everyone realised just how strong of the market leader they were...and that crying victim act faded away fast...

Now, Nintendo is eating well and PS only has COD to content with. WOW! Jim, my boy, you really crapped the bed, huh? 🤣

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom