• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft’s 10-Year COD Agreement with Nintendo Covers All Future Activision Blizzard Releases, Only COD for Sony

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ansphn

Hilarious all this hype about PlayStation's big loss cause they won't get Activision games except COD when all Activision makes is COD. I don't even see Activision making games for Nintendo like people think. We will start to see so many people leave due to Microsoft only wanting contract work from Developer unless it's different for Activision.

VitoNotVito

Diablo 4 which is on PlayStation just came out and we won't see another one anytime soon, Overwatch seems to be dying and all their other games (except CoD) are available only on PC or mobile (Warcraft, StarCraft, Hearthstone etc).
I wouldn't make a big problem out of it. CoD was the only thing that matters, CoD was the only thing PlayStation needed.

DenSho

Neo Member

can't stopping laughing at this

Guitar Hero: dead
Tony Hawk: MIA, probably dead
World of Warcraft: Never on console, no Xbox nor PS
Starcraft: Only once on console... Nintendo 64
Candy Crush Saga: Never on consoles
Spyro: MIA
Overwatch: F2P GaaS, so probably stays multiplatform
Diablo: Diablo IV made huge numbers... It would be counter-productive to keep it Xbox exclusive, but, hey. "Case by case basis", as Spencer said
Crash: Active IP... yay.

Jimbo got owned. PWNED, even. I can't see him recovering from this. He'll look at himself in the mirror and cry, ashamed of his words and deeds. "I let Guitar Hero slip from my fingers!", he'll say, sobbing.

Diablo 4 which is on PlayStation just came out and we won't see another one anytime soon, Overwatch seems to be dying and all their other games (except CoD) are available only on PC or mobile (Warcraft, StarCraft, Hearthstone etc).
I wouldn't make a big problem out of it. CoD was the only thing that matters, CoD was the only thing PlayStation needed.
People need to stop with this damage control… Blizz releases are huge… it is a big loss for Sony. Jimbo decided to go for the “block the merger” strategy and it failed miserably. At least they got COD in the end. It could have been much worse.

Diablo: Diablo IV made huge numbers... It would be counter-productive to keep it Xbox exclusive, but, hey. "Case by case basis", as Spencer said

Jimbo got owned. PWNED, even. I can't see him recovering from this. He'll look at himself in the mirror and cry, ashamed of his words and deeds. "I let Guitar Hero slip from my fingers!", he'll say, sobbing.
We already got the ultimate Tony Hawk game in 1+2, fantastic Crash and Spyro remakes, and I think by the middling nature of Crash 4 we can't really expect a lot from it going forward.

VitoNotVito

People need to stop with this damage control… Blizz releases are huge… it is a big loss for Sony. Jimbo decided to go for the “block the merger” strategy and it failed miserably. At least they got COD in the end. It could have been much worse.
What are those "huge releases"?
Like I've said,t here are only 2 games they have on consoles: Overwatch and Diablo.
The former is quickly fading, the latter is already on PlayStation.
People needs stop the bs.

Disco Dave

Nintendo have responded to "watered down COD" claims by commissioning development for a "watered down Mario" game for XBox.

omm0ZwJ.jpg

Lupin25

There's a galaxy sitting between your two assumptions and you know it. Playing the fool here does nothing. I've already explained that the games can be rebuilt if Microsoft want to invent the time and money - and they evidently do - and I've explained that crossplay is only a requirement if Nintendo wants it. In the event that Nintendo do want it, there's little in Call of Duty's multiplayer that can't be achieved on the Switch as is if the content is remade accordingly. This is part where you start arguing symantics, conflating presentation with features using quotation marks.

So you’re making the assumption, all the while denouncing his, by stating that Nintendo will waive parity clauses?

You don’t know any of that either lol. You read the new agreement just like everyone else.

Anyone cheering this on is approved of major corporate consolidation. Multiplatform franchises will now become exclusives for either platform. Now Sony will choose to retaliate. Less games for everyone.

Yay?

Last edited:
So you’re making the assumption, all the while denouncing his, by stating that Nintendo will waive parity clauses?

You don’t know any of that either lol. You read the new agreement just like everyone else.

Anyone cheering this on is approved of major corporate consolidation. Multiplatform franchises will now become exclusives for either platform. Now Sony will choose to retaliate. Less games for everyone.

Yay?
More games for more people on more platforms actually.

SkylineRKR

I think keeping COD until at least 2034 is worth a lot more money to Sony than maybe 1 or 2 Crash and Tony Hawk games.

Yeah I think so too. We saw a few TH games in the last decade and only the last one was very good but a remake of the first 2 which is all most fans needed. They can remake 3 perhaps and thats sort of it for the franchise.

CoD is in decline too, with even IW dropping the ball on MW imho. But it comes out each year and does still generate numbers.

Doom85

For consoles, Diablo……and? There’s no damage control if you can’t specify this huge loss but just throw out, “no, trust me, guys, they lost a lot……exactly what, well, why do I need to go into specifics?”

2027? Seems Sony just got got. They already released overwatch 2 and diablo 4. No way there will be anything significant by then. That and the wording means MS loopholes themselves into scenario where they technically could just delay games passed that date and skip PS with nothing at all.
They have that rumored survival game coming out, given the popularity of the survival genre that's probably going to be a big hit.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Not gonna happen. They didn’t even need to sign that binding deal with Sony. Really don’t know why they would tie their hands like that. But the intention was always to release COD on PS.
I can understand before the agreement some gamers think MS would hoard COD all to themselves even though it’s pretty obvious it’s such a cash cow of course MS isn’t going to cut the cord.

But with the 10 year deal, there’s still gamers thinking MS will sabotage the PS version on purpose during the deal?

That’s like saying Sony making Xbox and Switch versions of The Show, they’ll purposely gimp them.

Makes no sense.

For some reason, people dont understand that even competitors can chum up for sake of the greater good. Even TV and cellphone makers would supply chipsets in competing brands when you’d think they tell them to get lost and find their own parts.

Last edited:

Shubh_C63

If this finally makes Activision starts making any new games other than CoD to compete with Sony mindshare I think Gamers just won.

AJUMP23

30% of everything bought on the Sony platform will go to MS. I think it is smart to keep CoD multiplatform. Tons of money for everyone to make.

hlm666

We don't know whats in the works, Blizzard is working on some survival game or something for instance. If they manage to pull off what they did with wow and overwatch (make their genres casual friendly) it could be successful, going on current form it's a long shot but if you never take the shot you can never hit the bullseye.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
30% of everything bought on the Sony platform will go to MS. I think it is smart to keep CoD multiplatform. Tons of money for everyone to make.
MS gets 70%. Sony will be the one getting the 30% e-store cut.

Every dollar Sony makes on Activision games, MS will more than double it.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Hopefully that will get Jim fired. Fucking around thinking he is big shit telling them he will stop the merger as if he owns both companies.

Are Gaffers just being idiots today or what? What Activision games are we really talking about that Nintendo will get, that Sony wouldn't get?

Metnut

MS gets 70%. Sony will be the one getting the 30% e-store cut.

Every dollar Sony makes on Activision games, MS will more than double it.

M$ has to pay all of the development and production costs/salaries for these games. Sony just takes a quiet 30% without any overhead or investment.

tryDEATH

This is one of those take this and stfu before I change my mind deals.

Once MS beat the FTC this "goodwill" gestures if you can call it that was the best Sony was going to get as they are single-handedly responsible for this deal dragging on and complicating. I would still like to see more details, because I believe they even forced Sony into conceding and allowing this years CoD on launching on GamePass instead of when the marketing deal expires next year.

This was the worse possible outcome for Sony, Jim, and Playstation gamers who will now miss out on many more games.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
M$ has to pay all of the development and production costs/salaries for these games. Sony just takes a quiet 30% without any overhead or investment.
MS will still make more money of it than Sony. The better Activision games sell on Sony the more money MS makes.

sainraja

Do we know exactly what the original deal was that included all games?
I read, and I can't recall exactly where now... so maybe I'm just confusing things, but the initial deal that was offered wasn't 10 years, and when they changed it to 10 years, MS wanted to keep all profits from MTX, etc. (I think from a cloud perspective), so even Microsoft would have turned that version of the deal down if the shoe was on the other foot.

Last edited:
This just further proves how Nintendo is an indirect competitor to MS where as Sony is a direct competitor.
That judge was either incompetent or had some "lobbying" going on to come to this other conclusion and following the mimimi statements of MS.
FTC at least put on some show, while still continue to fail allowing Disney, Google and facebo.. Meta to become way too big. Buying Fox, Youtube and whatsapp and stuff like that, should never have been allowed. But the real spineless people sit in the EU, always whining about too big tech and whatnot but allowing stuff like this to happen, while siding with the CMA might have actually done something. Preventing MS from acquiring altogether OR if they allow it force them to invest heavily in start ups. Instead of allowing a giant buying themselves to the top, force them to spent that money on new jobs, building new studios all over the world, making more games, more actual competition.

Woopah

This just further proves how Nintendo is an indirect competitor to MS where as Sony is a direct competitor.
In what way?
So let me get this right, first I say Nintendo isn’t getting the same game, get called on it because the agreement states native versions with feature and content parity, so I take the logical conclusion that it becomes the new baseline target spec, and you say it’s a disastrous take because signed agreements are for idiots and Nintendo is getting a different game?

Can’t keep up. Native, content and feature parity means not a cloud version and it absolutely means crossplay.

Fortnite has crossplay so don’t give me that BS about “walled gardens”
Do you expect Switch to be the baseline target spec for Mortal Kombat One?
Because the switch already has a bunch of Activision games on it

oh wait...
It does have a bunch of Activision games.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Do we know exactly what the original deal was that included all games?
I read, and I can't recall exactly where now... so maybe I'm just confusing things, but the initial deal that was offered wasn't 10 years, and when they changed it to 10 years, MS wanted to keep all profits from MTX, etc. (I think from a cloud perspective), so even Microsoft would have turned that version of the deal down if the shoe was on the other foot.
I’m on my phone and dont want to look for it (if I was on my home laptop I would) but just reverently (yesterday) in one of these threads there was proof of email from Spencer’s o Jim Ryan in May 2022 where Spencer offered Sony all Activision games till 2027. It looks like it was revised at some point to 10 years for COD only.

Last edited:

Kerotan

In what way?

Do you expect Switch to be the baseline target spec for Mortal Kombat One?

It does have a bunch of Activision games.
"Direct competitors are companies that offer the same product (or service) offering as you. However, indirect competition is somewhat different. They are businesses whose product (or service) offerings are different from yours, but could satisfy your customer's needs, and possibly achieve the same goals".

If MS considered Nintendo direct competition they'd wouldn't offer them anymore then they are offering Sony. They're giving Sony the bare minimum.

djjinx2

Call of duty is struggling with putting out a game every year as is. I'm going to laugh if this agreement with Nintendo completely degrades the quality of of cod because they can't keep up. They already have all their studios working on call of duty; where are all these extra people going to come from to put out a nintendo version?
Series X version running in the cloud??

CoD is not just 'only CoD for Sony'. That game makes bank, so much money for Sony, it is ludicrous. Everything else is chaff, let's be honest, and that's coming from someone who is lukewarm regarding the franchise. What this buys Sony is time, time to develop some sort of in-house rival product, unlikely given Sony's past history, or time for the CoD franchise to peter out, again, fairly unlikely. Basically, Bungie is going to have to deliver the goods for Sony or they are f***ked.

Rykan

This is hilarious! Initially MS was offering them the same deal they offered to Nintendo (ALL Activision/Blizzard content for 10 years).
Nope. Thread and article title is wrong. That's not what was offered to ANY company. NO company was offered all AB content.

It's crazy how this narrative is now being formed because some "GaMe JourNaliSt" can't do his job properly.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom