• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft’s 10-Year COD Agreement with Nintendo Covers All Future Activision Blizzard Releases, Only COD for Sony

Status
Not open for further replies.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Nintendo wins by not doing anything. Good on them.
Mario Kart Nintendo GIF

x-pac suck it GIF by WWE

Last edited:

mdkirby

“Future versions of current IP until 2027” is borderline meaningless tho? There’s not gonna be a new overwatch or Diablo prior to then, and I’d be surprised to see a new spyro or StarCraft…I’m not sure the old starcrafts have ever released on PlayStation.

I guess there could be a crash bandicoot or a guitar hero. If it was a 10 year deal that was on the table then sure there could be significant lost releases. not releasing guitar hero on PlayStation would be a double edge sword, given it requires a peripheral sale, and there’s decent competitors for that now.

Only annoyance for me will be my wife likes crash, and she hates the offset joysticks on the xbox 🤷‍♂️

I’m pretty sure Nintendo will receive the same deal as Sony, I remember seeing that MS reiterated that a few times.

But time will tell, I’m not expecting other titles aside of COD going into PS systems.

Is there anything stopping MS from telling Acti to now only release a low effort COD game every 5 years and them making a spin-of series called Active Duty or something that is basically COD but is exclusive to Xbox/PC?

Disco Dave

"Microsoft has signed a "binding" 10-year deal to provide CoD access to Nintendo consoles with full features and parity"
Good luck with the 100GB installs 😅 Personally I don't think the agreement means much for Nintendo and I would be shocked if COD came to a Nintnedo platform. Its a paper exercise to appease anti competition claims and Phil will wipe his ass with it when the noise calms down.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
Is there anything stopping MS from telling Acti to now only release a low effort COD game every 5 years and them making a spin-of series called Active Duty or something that is basically COD but is exclusive to Xbox/PC?

Nobody will buy that shit. So it will be low effort on all platforms. Yes we know MS knows how to kill franchises, let them do it. I mean PS fans and even xbox fans will boycott MS if they do that. That 70 billion will be a waste of money pretty soon if it goes that route.

Robb

Gold Member
Probably not, but since a large chunk of what they’ve paid for here is the CoD brand itself that’d be very stupid either way.
Good luck with the 100GB installs
I imagine it’s going to be a cloud version or something to get around that stuff.

Mattyp

Gold Member
What have Activision made CoD aside in the past 10 years? Crash, Spyro and THPS 1&2 - was there anything else?

This was never about the games for Sony, it was about the potential removal of a massive yearly revenue stream (CoD).
World of Warcraft, StarCraft, Overwatch, Diablo. I know they’re not household names but still 😂

Bring on THPS1&3 then THUG already.

Ar¢tos

What have Activision made CoD aside in the past 10 years? Crash, Spyro and THPS 1&2 - was there anything else?

This was never about the games for Sony, it was about the potential removal of a massive yearly revenue stream (CoD).
You list those, but you don't include the only game Activision published in the past 10 years that is actually worth playing?
King's Quest

Fabieter

Here’s a cloud version.

Or are we assuming that they are going to make Nintendo Switch the base spec for COD? If so then lol

Imo a cloud version wouldn't be the same as promised. They said feature parity and imo having significant more input lag as the other platforms wouldn't go well with that.

drganon

World of Warcraft, StarCraft, Overwatch, Diablo. I know they’re not household names but still 😂

Wow and starcraft have never been on PlayStation to begin with, overwatch is a ftp game available on everything, and they already got the latest Diablo. The rest of Activision's ip are pretty much dead.

Of course Sony only cared about call of duty.

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
Here’s a cloud version.

Or are we assuming that they are going to make Nintendo Switch the base spec for COD? If so then lol

“The agreement provides that Microsoft will develop and publish future native console versions of CoD titles for Nintendo platforms for at least 10 years,” explains Microsoft in response to the Competition and Markets Authority (CMA) in the United Kingdom. “Microsoft will publish future CoD versions for Nintendo platforms on the same date as the release of those versions on Xbox console platforms; and will maintain feature and content parity to the console versions published on Xbox console platforms, subject to Nintendo policy requirements.”

Chukhopops

I love the argument that Sony only cares about CoD. Really makes you wonder why Jim Ryan himself wanted all Activision games to be available on Sony platforms and Sony subscription with full parity in his initial demands if there’s nothing worth it anyway.

On the bright side it’s heartwarming to see that everyone on all sides seems happy with the current deal.

I love the argument that Sony only cares about CoD. Really makes you wonder why Jim Ryan himself wanted all Activision games to be available on Sony platforms and Sony subscription with full parity in his initial demands if there’s nothing worth it anyway.

On the bright side it’s heartwarming to see that everyone on all sides seems happy with the current deal.

Only if it doesn't mean the elimination of competition. Other than that it's fine.

Mythoclast

Not gonna happen. They didn’t even need to sign that binding deal with Sony. Really don’t know why they would tie their hands like that. But the intention was always to release COD on PS.

Thirty7ven

Banned
“The agreement provides that Microsoft will develop and publish future native console versions of CoD titles for Nintendo platforms for at least 10 years,” explains Microsoft in response to the Competition and Markets Authority (CMA) in the United Kingdom. “Microsoft will publish future CoD versions for Nintendo platforms on the same date as the release of those versions on Xbox console platforms; and will maintain feature and content parity to the console versions published on Xbox console platforms, subject to Nintendo policy requirements.”

Damn the Switch/Switch 2 is actually going to be the baseline spec for COD/ABK games going forward that’s crazy.

My reasoning before was based on Phil Spencer’s court testimony where he admitted COD on Switch would be a different game from Xboc/PlayStation.

Last edited:

WoW and Starcraft are PC centric games, and have not been released on any console so far, while OW2 and Diablo 4 just recently released and presumably there won't be any major sequels (other than expansions which will come to PS anyway) while this 10-year deal is active. The only "big" thing PS only players will miss out during this 10-year period is the in-development survival game made by Blizz.

Last edited:

Ronin_7

What about blizzard now? Overwatch? Diablo? Those are huge franchises
Was talking about Activision because that's where the money is on Consoles of course.

King is mobile & Blizzard games were never that popular on Console although Diablo 4 was apparently huge so maybe there's a shift there.

The WiiU wasn’t the baseline for COD the last time it was on a Nintendo console. Why this narrative now?
There were ps3 and 360 versions though so it wasnt too much effort getting it running on wii u.

Having said that, wii ports of mw and mw3 were very impressive for the hardware so I would expect pretty decent versions to run on new switch hardware.

Last edited:

NoobSmog

Call of duty is struggling with putting out a game every year as is. I'm going to laugh if this agreement with Nintendo completely degrades the quality of of cod because they can't keep up. They already have all their studios working on call of duty; where are all these extra people going to come from to put out a nintendo version?

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Because the agreement states native versions, feature and content parity with Xbox. We are talking about crossplay here so yeah…

Been a while, but weren't the WiiU versions of Blops 2 and Ghosts also the same as other consoles just with lower res/textures?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom