• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony signs agreement with MS to keep COD on PS

mansoor1980

Gold Member
EhoDurdXkAMVsdI

nani17

are in a big trouble
Yes but the finer details of the agreement needs to be known. Is Call of Duty staying on it with all content is the key because I believe Xbox will make exclusive modes exclusive maps etc down the line. This will happen 3 or more years from now. Could even get worse where they bring out a weapon that's completely op but it's only available on Xbox.

blakdecaf

Still amazes me that Sony couldn't find a studio to create a game to seriously compete with CoD.
Just make a functionally competent arcade military themed shooter and not include bullshit fortnite-esque skins and mictrotransactions.
Please :(

I mean they have Bungie who have the ultimate FPS pedigree, albeit in sci-fi/space shooters. I'd love to see what they could do with a standard, military shooter.

Fabieter

Still amazes me that Sony couldn't find a studio to create a game to seriously compete with CoD.
Just make a functionally competent arcade military themed shooter and not include bullshit fortnite-esque skins and mictrotransactions.
Please :(

No one could and no one ever will make a competitor.

It's like saying if sony acquires t2 that it's shocking that ms can't make a gta competitor. It isn't possible.

radewagon

This is a win win for MS. In fact, it's so win win that I wonder what the point of exclusivity even is with titles that will sell well on the competitor's platform. It's hard to say no to money after all. A future DOOM release will be interesting. Can MS say no to Sony (or even Nintendo because Panic Button are wizards) DOOM dollars? We'll see. Anyway, I can see this playing one of two ways.

1. MS releases COD on PS5 but makes Call of Duty day one on gamepass and uses the discrepancy to bolster the value proposition of gamepass.
2. MS releases on PS5 but DOESN'T add Call of duty to gamepass on day one and uses some weaselly argument about how the agreement with Sony prevented them from doing so. That way MS doesn't lose a ton of money on launch sales of the game.

Personally, I think they'll go with option 2. I think it's pretty clear that MS wants money. It's one thing to give up direct revenue from smaller or niche games, it's another thing entirely to give it up for COD.

Last edited:
So Sony is that dependent on COD revenue?
Or maybe Microsoft is. For every dollar that Sony would have lost from CoD Microsoft would have lost 4.

Edit: in case someone needs math explained, 80/20 platform revenue split means Sony gets one dollar from a copy of CoD sold, Activision gets 4. If they stopped selling CoD on playstation Sony would lose that one dollar, but Activision would lose 4. In reality its more like $13/$57 or something but you know what I mean.

Last edited:
Top Bottom