• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony FY2023 Q1Report: 3.3 Million PS5 sold

MrA

Banned
I don't need this negativity in my life.

Go Away GIF
okay, I'll make you feel better OH MY GAWD SPIDER-MAN FTW WIN 20 BILLION COPIES HOUR MINUS 1,
better?

Kerotan

Looking at the number, yeah, physical software is doomed
Physical was actually higher by a decent amount compared to a year ago. COVID restrictions made some people go digital but most of them have returned to physical.

The next thing to bump the trend will be Sony releasing a slim and next year a pro which will be digital only unless you buy a disc drive.

I can see the split being 85/15 by the time ps6 launches.

That's very low in my opinion, I would have expected some impressive numbers, especially with the good weekly numbers is moving in Japan. I don't know if PS5 is still supply constricted somewhere? I thought it was pretty easy to find everywhere.
We know from their 40 million sell through announcement last week that they sold through around 3.5 million so they shipped less than they sold this quarter. This must be because they shipped a gigantic 6.3 million last quarter yet sold through 5 million leaving excess stock on store shelves.

vivftp

With them shipping a huge amount of consoles last quarter, I wonder if this quarter some of their production capacity went towards the cloud. We know PS5 hardware in the cloud is right around the corner, so the question is when would they have been diverting some of their production capacity towards the cloud?

I wonder if Q4 of last FY they over shipped to flood distribution channels so they wouldn't have to ship as much this quarter since a large chunk of production was going to the cloud.

There were around 8 million Plus Premium subscribers as of March, so one would think they'd at least have to put a few million PS5s into the cloud to support them.

Also, Tom Henderson did say production on the revision began around April, so one would think that would eat into production capacity of the current models.

So for the April to June quarter the sold-in sales were

NSW: 3.91 million
PS5: 3.30 million
XBS: 1.40 million (estimate)

this means from Jan to June

PS5: 9.60 million
NSW: 6.98 million
XBS: 2.70 million (estimate).

For the July to September quarter I think PS5 will be up, the Switch will be down with the Zelda affect decreasing and XBS should get a boost from Starfield.

July to September prediction

PS5: 4.20 million
NSW: 3.10 million
XBS: 2.00 million

Last edited:

Yoboman

I don't think spidey will be as hot as some people think, don't get me wrong it's gonna be hot, but like god of war +15 to 25% hot not Zelda hot, probably 5.5-6.5 Million weeks 1, 11 to 13 million by years end
Agreed, Nicheman confirmed

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Physical was actually higher by a decent amount compared to a year ago. COVID restrictions made some people go digital but most of them have returned to physical.

The next thing to bump the trend will be Sony releasing a slim and next year a pro which will be digital only unless you buy a disc drive.

I can see the split being 85/15 by the time ps6 launches.
?
Digital sales were ~6.3x physical, compared to 5.2x same quarter last year.

Woopah

This sounds surprisingly low, or am I missing something? So Switch had a better Q1?
That's very low in my opinion, I would have expected some impressive numbers, especially with the good weekly numbers is moving in Japan. I don't know if PS5 is still supply constricted somewhere? I thought it was pretty easy to find everywhere.
I wouldn't be surprised if actual sales were higher than shipments, and they just overshipped last quarter.
B…but famitsu charts are still incredibly relevant for Sony sales…
The charts are relevant for game sales in Japan, but not for microtransactions in Japan or game sales worldwide.

Sold 3 Million consoles in Q1 but......
MAU 108M same as Q4.
Age of Sony is done!
Transcript of Phil Spencers email to the Xbox team

MAU is so heavily based on PS4 users that the numbers are going to struggle to grow until PS5 sales reach a milestone. As PS4 owners drop off using the PS4, they're either buying PS5, no delta, or not buying a next gen system (maybe getting switch or PC) and that is where you have fall off. The only way for Sony to tick those numbers up is to get net new owners on PS5 in large numbers.

There aren't a TON of net new console owners out there.

Poltz

s
MAU is so heavily based on PS4 users that the numbers are going to struggle to grow until PS5 sales reach a milestone. As PS4 owners drop off using the PS4, they're either buying PS5, no delta, or not buying a next gen system (maybe getting switch or PC) and that is where you have fall off. The only way for Sony to tick those numbers up is to get net new owners on PS5 in large numbers.

Sony has kept their hardware target at 25 million, so I think we can expect some pretty aggressive deals come the holiday season.
They had a 30% increase from their last Q1. They just need to keep that up for all quarters and they will do it. There's a new PS5 and a new Spider-Man game...i really think they can do it.

Pelta88

Sony: Hardware Up 40% on Q1 last year

Some on Gaf:

200w.gif

I don't think spidey will be as hot as some people think, don't get me wrong it's gonna be hot, but like god of war +15 to 25% hot not Zelda hot, probably 5.5-6.5 Million weeks 1, 11 to 13 million by years end

Who is going to tell him that his week 1 predictions are double 2018's launch week?

Elios83

Just a few extra info:

The 3.3m while a huge yoy increase is a bit less than where they wanted to be but thanks to the promotions sale momentum is back to the expected level.

Reaching 25m is a key milestone for them so necessary measures will be steadily implemented to make sure it's reached.
My guess is that there will be continued promotions during the holiday season.

It will also be interesting to see how the Slim model (if it exists) will be handled.
Surely if it's launching soon they need to clear channels and indeed the delta between actual sales (over 40m) and ltd shipments (41.7m) has decreased compared to the last two quarters.

They also stated that a first party game was delayed from this fiscal year to the next but it's not clear which (Factions?)

Last edited:

Woopah

They had a 30% increase from their last Q1. They just need to keep that up for all quarters and they will do it. There's a new PS5 and a new Spider-Man game...i really think they can do it.
I would expect them to be up a lot in the first 3 quarters, but down on the 6 million Q4 they had, as this time they won't have the boost from pent up demand.

Sony themselves said they are a bit behind their target, which is why I now expect them to be more aggressive with price/bundles.

daxgame

Sony: Hardware Up 40% on Q1 last year

Some on Gaf:

200w.gif

It's not "GAF", it's Sony's own forecast.

Sony:
• Although we upwardly revised the sales forecast for third-party software which is performing well, we have incorporated a deterioration in the profitability of PS5 hardware mainly due to changes in promotions by geographic region and the sales channel mix
• PS5 hardware sales were 3.3 million units, a significant increase of 38% year-on-year.
• This amount is somewhat less than the expected progress toward our fiscal year sales target of 25 million units, but, due to promotions begun in July, we are seeing an improvement in the momentum of
sales.
• We have positioned the accelerated penetration of PS5 hardware as one of the highest priorities in this fiscal year, and we will try to work steadily to implement necessary measures to achieve our hardware sales target of 25 million units.

I think they just overshipped last Q. Should be reachable on the long term.

Last edited:
Major growth depends on new markets I guess. North America, Europe and Japan won't change much between generations. Some people will grow out of gaming, while young kids do join, Japan mostly has abandoned consoles for handhelds (and now hybrids) and won't suddenly feel the need for fauxK, but if China, India, South Korea or some of the countries in South America or Africa grow a a bigger middle class, the possible growth numbers could be big. I think China has formed a middle class the past decade(s), just them alone is huge, - isn't much of the PC growth due to them buying PCs? - and or Koreans seem to be more into PC and that may or may not change due to consoles appearing like a bargain compared to current PC parts. The established markets are around 1bn people and that has not changed much and the results did not either, but the possible markets can be closer to 3+bn now if the respective economies allow the required wealth in its people's hands, for enough disposable income for toys.
I wonder if a PS4 Superslim with a proper 5/4/3nm shrink would not be ideal for some markets, where even their equivalent to 399$/499$/549€ is still too much. Establish some loyalty with next to no margin, just recouping r&d for the shrink, let them cheaply built a library of older games, also via Plus, and maybe get them properly a few years later when they can at least afford to either upgrade late to a PS5 or directly to a PS6. Seems like in emerging markets you either have to be one of the few richer people or you can only get used stuff, which naturally does not make as much profit than a razor sharp calculated new PS4 might with the benefit of actively trying to sowing seeds for following generations.

Last edited:

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
Given a release of a new model in future, wouldn't it be expected that the existing model will ship less in the lead up, whilst they stockpile the new model to fulfil their targets in the remaining quarters?

Top Bottom