• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSVR2 sold 600k, 8% more than PSVR in the same time.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
"They say, “The dependency on PS5 means that PSVR 2 can’t succeed without a great PS5 install base and releasing a PSVR 2 headset into a world where PS5s are still scarce can not only affect potential PSVR 2 sales but also leave a lot of gamers even more frustrated than they already arehttps://webcache.googleusercontent....d=24&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=ie&client=firefox-b-1-d

As I said earlier in the thread the focus by consumers was the PS5 and games, releasing back then didn't make sense with competition and the accessory being at regular price.

Remember, Sony needed time to have 2m headsets ready for launch to avoid any shortages and to have plenty of PS VR2 stock available to buyers. Sony has also increased their PS5 availability greatly, now both device have the potential to grow together. Why go through all the trouble of a holiday launch when you have most of the year 2023 to yourself with increased PS5 stock and able to gradually increase PS VR2 availability at retailers with enough stock to prevent shortages?

Anyway PS VR2 has the next 4 months to itself, so there's not too much to worry about yet.

The bolded is exactly what I was saying. That makes perfect sense. Which is why comparing it to PSVR that released in October is kinda not fair "IF" you are looking at months 3 and 4.

The bolded is exactly what I was saying. That makes perfect sense. Which is why comparing it to PSVR that released in October is kinda not fair "IF" you are looking at months 3 and 4.
I'm not comparing anything, You did. I said it didn't make sense to release during the holidays and somehow you evolved the conversation from there.

But you've been avoiding the main problem here for some time, in Sony's own data posted this thread, they have just short 600,000 PS VR2's sold specifically stopping at week 6 on their chart and going no further cutting off the next 8 now 9 weeks. My issue was that we don't really know the devices current numbers so we can't really criticize or defend the thread title. The only thing we can extrapolate from Sony's PDF is that they are behind the original now, and can only question why they released this headline.

But in positive news it's very likely Sony will cross 1m sold before August. The original did more than 915,000 aligned, and while PS VR2 is behind it can't be by more than a couple hundred thousand. Maybe early to mid July Sony will make the 1m announcement.

Minsc

Gold Member
I'm not comparing anything, You did. I said it didn't make sense to release during the holidays and somehow you evolved the conversation from there.

But you've been avoiding the main problem here for some time, in Sony's own data posted this thread, they have just short 600,000 PS VR2's sold specifically stopping at week 6 on their chart and going no further cutting off the next 8 now 9 weeks. My issue was that we don't really know the devices current numbers so we can't really criticize or defend the thread title. The only thing we can extrapolate from Sony's PDF is that they are behind the original now, and can only question why they released this headline.

But in positive news it's very likely Sony will cross 1m sold before August. The original did more than 915,000 aligned, and while PS VR2 is behind it can't be by more than a couple hundred thousand. Maybe early to mid July Sony will make the 1m announcement.

And who knows, by most accounts they've been doing a god-awful terrible job advertising and selling the device to non-VR users. It's a unique VR device in that it literally does nothing but play games. No PC, no movies, no apps, just games.

And yet, other than what they've given us initially with GT7 and RE8 and now RE4, we've seen very little first party effort from them. Perhaps it actually needs to fail, and fail harder for them to wake up a bit and actually advertise the device to people, and show them why they should get one, you know like how Apple does in their conferences. Outside tethering a VR to a high end gaming PC, the VR2 is by far the most powerful device in terms of CPU/GPU processing in the market and that will be in the market probably for the next 5+ years. No other device, not even Apple's is going to run games better than the VR2 (outside a PC). But they seem content with just letting third parties port over Quest games, and staying quiet.

Well, that will only get them so far imo.

And who knows, by most accounts they've been doing a god-awful terrible job advertising and selling the device to non-VR users. It's a unique VR device in that it literally does nothing but play games. No PC, no movies, no apps, just games.

And yet, other than what they've given us initially with GT7 and RE8 and now RE4, we've seen very little first party effort from them. Perhaps it actually needs to fail, and fail harder for them to wake up a bit and actually advertise the device to people, and show them why they should get one, you know like how Apple does in their conferences. Outside tethering a VR to a high end gaming PC, the VR2 is by far the most powerful device in terms of CPU/GPU processing in the market and that will be in the market probably for the next 5+ years. No other device, not even Apple's is going to run games better than the VR2 (outside a PC). But they seem content with just letting third parties port over Quest games, and staying quiet.

Well, that will only get them so far imo.
PS VR2 can watch movies actually.

But my personal issue with this is that Sony launched the PS VR2 with an announcement ahead of time November 2022, and then launched the unit in February 2023 with an 8 month head start because Quest 3 from Meta won't released from what I gather until the end of Sept, Apple moved to early next year, and the rest are all vaporware or companies no one cares about like HTC. Sony could have used their tech lead to set new standards by now twice over.

Sony still has including this month, 4 months left before any competition is available and it doesn't look like they have any catalysts or headset moving software prepared, price cut, anything? They had most of this entire year to themselves.

I'm not saying they may still not have a surprise or two but so far I'm not very confident. It's great they got Beat Saber and that new shooter coming out to fill in the gaps but where are the next major bangers? Why didn't they have headsets in stores form the start given the months of production time before it launched? If they don't shape up before the competition drops then that can spell trouble.

Minsc

Gold Member

But my personal issue with this is that Sony launched the PS VR2 with an announcement ahead of time November 2022, and then launched the unit in February 2023 with an 8 month head start because Quest 3 from Meta won't released from what I gather until the end of Sept, Apple moved to early next year, and the rest are all vaporware or companies no one cares about like HTC. Sony could have used their tech lead to set new standards by now twice over.

Sony still has including this month, 4 months left before any competition is available and it doesn't look like they have any catalysts or headset moving software prepared, price cut, anything? They had most of this entire year to themselves.

I'm not saying they may still not have a surprise or two but so far I'm not very confident. It's great they got Beat Saber and that new shooter coming out to fill in the gaps but where are the next major bangers? Why didn't they have headsets in stores form the start given the months of production time before it launched? If they don't shape up before the competition drops then that can spell trouble.

Sorry I meant VR movies, like 3D Blurays etc - Quest, Apple's new set, and well essentially every other VR device on the planet can do that haha. And VR apps. Obviously since you can use your PS5 like normal with it too (albeit with all the flaws of the device) it has all the normal non-VR apps, my bad.

Raonak

Banned
Playing beat saber really highlights how much of a upgrade PSVR2 is, everything is so much more crisp, and the fact it doesn't fog up because of the fan is such a great addition.

mckmas8808

I think it's obvious that Sony wanted to kill the myth that the PSVR2 wasn't selling well. And that 270,000 had to be refuted being that it was a pure lie.

This is the fault of Jim Ryan. The engineers have done their job. Both hardware and software. But true leadership would have had the bolded figured out by now. I don't think it spells trouble for PSVR2 at the moment or even later this year, because at the very least Playstation knows what PSVR2 is and what it isn't. And that's a bonus that shouldn't be overlooked.

Sorry I meant VR movies, like 3D Blurays etc - Quest, Apple's new set, and well essentially every other VR device on the planet can do that haha. And VR apps. Obviously since you can use your PS5 like normal with it too (albeit with all the flaws of the device) it has all the normal non-VR apps, my bad.

I think this goes to show how much Sony DOES NOT see PSVR2 as anything more than a gaming accessory. They are NOT trying to push the industry forward in any big way outside of gaming. The old Ken Kutargi Playstation teams would have pushed PSVR2 the same way Apple was pushing the Vision Pro headset.

They used the PS2 to drive DVD adoption. The same with the PS3 and Blu-ray. But Jim Ryan doesn't have a visionary bone in his body!!!! Dude is only great at counting beans.

I think it's obvious that Sony wanted to kill the myth that the PSVR2 wasn't selling well. And that 270,000 had to be refuted being that it was a pure lie.
I just realized that this actually was a very clumsy move by Sony, because everything in this Sony report aligns perfectly with the Bloomberg fake sales figures.

Sony took two months to respond to those Bloomberg figures and by the time this thread was made it was already old hat news, but I assume Jim Ryan wanted some good PR because Bloomberg specifically gave a time frame between launch in feb 22nd to March 30th for their fake numbers, Sony in this op creates a chart that specifically stops at week 6 which ends on April 1st. It's the exact same time frame, and they claim the PS VR2 was 8% ahead only within the same time period as Bloombergs bogus report.

When you stop and think about it the entire headline and PDF is just damage control over an old article that people were already skeptical about. That's why Sony didn't include any week of sales after Bloombergs end date on their chart. So in reality, we are no closer to knowing how well PS VR2 is doing now than back in March and this thread is a red herring.
This is the fault of Jim Ryan. The engineers have done their job. Both hardware and software. But true leadership would have had the bolded figured out by now. I don't think it spells trouble for PSVR2 at the moment or even later this year, because at the very least Playstation knows what PSVR2 is and what it isn't. And that's a bonus that shouldn't be overlooked.
It looks like we won't have any idea the trajectory of the device until Sony announces 1m units and then we can compare how long it took to get there to have an idea of direction. The only thing we know right now is that PS VR2 is currently less than 915,000 but with no knowledge of how much less.
I think they said they would explore adding apps but I'm not sure if that's still a goal or not. I was expecting some more info at the showcase but we didn't get much out of it. They supposedly have another showcase coming up soon.

Last edited:

yurinka

I just realized that this actually was a very clumsy move by Sony, because everything in this Sony report aligns perfectly with the Bloomberg fake sales figures.

Sony took two months to respond to those Bloomberg figures and by the time this thread was made it was already old hat news, but I assume Jim Ryan wanted some good PR because Bloomberg specifically gave a time frame between launch in feb 22nd to March 30th for their fake numbers, Sony in this op creates a chart that specifically stops at week 6 which ends on April 1st. It's the exact same time frame, and they claim the PS VR2 was 8% ahead only within the same time period as Bloombergs bogus report.
This chart is from Sony's fiscal year report, which ends in March 31st and their fiscal year report ends there. No damage control here, Sony imply announced the PSVR2 for that fiscal year.

Sony announced the hardware sales numbers for the fiscal year when Sony normally announces their sales numbers for the fiscal year: in their fiscal year report Sony releases every year in the same dates.

As usual, Bloomberg lied to throw FUD to Sony, and their lies got -this time indirectly- debunked again.

It looks like we won't have any idea the trajectory of the device until Sony announces 1m units and then we can compare how long it took to get there to have an idea of direction. The only thing we know right now is that PS VR2 is currently less than 915,000 but with no knowledge of how much less.
They shown the launch sales to highlight that -as they estimated- PSVR2 is selling better than PSVR1 did launch aligned. Sony rarely keeps updating sales numbers of their accesories, so pretty likely won't update its sales number until some special news like reaching some round number worth to be highlighted, as in this case will be to say it reached 5M so that soon after that will be outselling total sales of PSVR1.

If we get lucky to see an earlier update, would be in the same report for the next year. I think Sony won't do it, but they may do it if launch aligned PSVR2 keeps outselling PSVR1 by a substantial margin, more than the one we saw in this graph.

Last edited:
They shown the launch sales to highlight that -as they estimated- PSVR2 is selling better than PSVR1 did launch aligned. Sony rarely keeps updating sales numbers of their accesories, so pretty likely won't update its sales number until some special news like reaching some round number worth to be highlighted, as in this case will be to say it reached 5M so that soon after that will be outselling total sales of PSVR1.

If we get lucky to see an earlier update, would be in the same report for the next year. I think Sony won't do it, but they may do it if launch aligned PSVR2 keeps outselling PSVR1 by a substantial margin, more than the one we saw in this graph.
Sony updated the originals sales all the time from launch:

1 (50,000)
2 (915,000)
3 (1m)
4 (2m)
5 (3m)

I think they will inevitably announce when they hit the big 1mill. We already got their report showing close to 600,000 on week 6 and it's been almost 9 weeks since then so they have to be close.

Last edited:

Raonak

Banned
I think this goes to show how much Sony DOES NOT see PSVR2 as anything more than a gaming accessory. They are NOT trying to push the industry forward in any big way outside of gaming. The old Ken Kutargi Playstation teams would have pushed PSVR2 the same way Apple was pushing the Vision Pro headset.

They used the PS2 to drive DVD adoption. The same with the PS3 and Blu-ray. But Jim Ryan doesn't have a visionary bone in his body!!!! Dude is only great at counting beans.

Sony's just smart. They know both meta and apple's dreams to expand VR into a everyday consumer device will not succeed anytime soon.

Sony knows for them, it makes more sense to focus PSVR2 on what it does best, gaming.
No-one's buying VR to watch the nonexistent VR video content, or watch 10 year old "3D" movies, or even look at flat websites, so why focus on that?

Like it or not, but gaming is always gonna be the best use case of VR.

mckmas8808

When you stop and think about it the entire headline and PDF is just damage control over an old article that people were already skeptical about. That's why Sony didn't include any week of sales after Bloombergs end date on their chart. So in reality, we are no closer to knowing how well PS VR2 is doing now than back in March and this thread is a red herring.

The bolded is a LIE!!!! People were believing those fake Bloomberg numbers. Literally every video game podcast I listen to reported it as if it was basically true.

Last edited:
The bolded is a LIE!!!! People were believing those fake Bloomberg numbers. Literally every video game podcast I listen to reported it as if it was basically true.
I never said people didn't believe the fake numbers? What does that have to do with what you bolded? It actually proves my point.

mckmas8808

I never said people didn't believe the fake numbers? What does that have to do with what you bolded? It actually proves my point.

We know WAY more now about the sale numbers than in March. What are you talking about? Back then many thought the lie was true. Now we know it sold the 2nd most VR headsets at launch in world history!

We know WAY more now about the sale numbers than in March. What are you talking about?
We know absolutely nothing different back in March. Back in March we knew nothing and currently we know nothing. We only have this selective PR.

Also 2nd most VR headsets at launch in VR history? It sold less than 600,000 in 6 weeks, and we still don't know actual sales because this thread PDF was current except for the small VR section which was based on information from over two months ago. I'm not saying that PS VR2 is doing bad or good I'm saying we don't know because we don't have present figures.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

We know absolutely nothing different back in March. Back in March we knew nothing and currently we know nothing. We only have this selective PR.

Also 2nd most VR headsets at launch in VR history? It sold less than 600,000 in 6 weeks, and we still don't know actual sales because this thread PDF was current except for the small VR section which was based on information from over two months ago. I'm not saying that PS VR2 is doing bad or good I'm saying we don't know because we don't have present figures.

Well.....I was going to respond to your crazy point, but you're banned. Does anybody know what happened to Draxon Gamer?

Top Bottom