• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony FY22Q3 Earnings Report

reksveks

Presentation: https://www.sony.com/en/SonyInfo/IR/library/presen/er/pdf/22q3_sonypre.pdf
Source of Supplementary Info: https://www.sony.com/en/SonyInfo/IR/library/presen/er/pdf/22q3_supplement.pdf

Zvx6JVu.png

zcrcc9s.png

NY8QgVL.png

Main
- PS5 Units: 7.1m so 82% growth (LTD: 32.1m) so 5.2 required for Q4 so the FY target.
(Last year was 3.9m)
- Hardware: 440,715m yen
(Last year was 201,534m yen)
- First-party software sales: 20.8m (maybe a record???)
- PS+ numbers / revenue ratio: 46.4m subs but 122,201m yen so roughly 877 yen per month per user
(Last year was 48.0m and 102,501m yen so ARPU roughly ~ 711yen per month per user)
- OI margin: ~9.3% margin
(Last year was 11.4%)
- YoY growth was 433.3bln yen and fx impact was +174.9bln yen (CC growth would be 31.3%)

Others
- FY rev forecast is the same but OI is going up due to the FX changes (USD has weakened in comparison to the JPY)
- Last year 12% of full games sold was first party, this last Q it was 24%
- Gaming under the music segment did decline about 15% (its peanuts obviously)

Call is in a hour at https://live.irwebmeeting.com/sony/live/20230202/p7k4dzms/202303_3q_02_en/index.html

Last edited:

vivftp

Largely irrelevant for multiple reasons, like average price and obviously the pandemic but if you want to see what the ps5 needs to sell to catch up

PS4 9 quarters LTD: 37,700,000
PS5 9 quarters LTD: 32,100,000

Credit to Welfare for the numbers.

Yup, the PS5 started ahead of the PS4 and was faster to hit 10 million, but component shortages massively fucked their plans on multiple fronts so it's very much behind the PS4 now. They've stated that the PS5 will once again surpass the PS4 next FY though, meaning a minimum of 23 million units have to be shipped next FY to meet that goal. Then we have Tom Henderson rumoring 30.5 million is the actual goal

Will be fun to see how things shape up.

reksveks

their Q4 (jan-mar) all time high for PS4 & PS5 is 3.3 so I doubt it
I wouldn't be hesitate as well but Amazon UK/DE maybe giving me false confidence.

Yup, the PS5 started ahead of the PS4 and was faster to hit 10 million, but component shortages massively fucked their plans on multiple fronts so it's very much behind the PS4 now. They've stated that the PS5 will once again surpass the PS4 next FY though, meaning a minimum of 23 million units have to be shipped next FY to meet that goal. Then we have Tom Henderson rumoring 30.5 million is the actual goal

Will be fun to see how things shape up.
Yeah, waiting to see the next year's forecast to see what they say the forecast is for the FY. Not 100% 23m is enough cause they did sell 19.4m in the next 4 Q's in the ps4 life cycle. Correct me if I have my numbers off.

vivftp

They sold 21 millions first-party games in 3 months????

Well God of War launched in that quarter and hit 11 million units up until January 22nd. So that 11 million figure does contain an extra 3 weeks of sales, but yeah it seems likely that God of War accounted for maybe 9 million or so of that 21 million. Great showing for the rest of their first party to still do so much.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
Yes.

Also, don’t know if they will reach their target, but a lot of European countries are having stock on their respective Amazon storefront.

And today, anybody can buy a GOW:R disc bundle without any invitation, just add to cart and buy.
I'm not sure, I checked and in France only 1(I mean 1 item once this one is sold they'll be out of consoles) bundle is available on amazon the rest is via invitation.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I skipped over that. Damn, that's a lot. Any guesses what those games would be?

We know that God of War Ragnarok would have done around ~9 million alone. For the rest of the 11-12 million, my guesstimates are:
  • God of War (2018): 1 million
  • TLOU P1: 2 million
  • TLOU 2: 2 million
  • Miles Morales: 1 million
  • GT7: 1.5 million
  • Horizon Forbidden West: 2 million
  • GoT, Returnal, Ratchet: 1 million
  • Others: 1-1.5 million

Last edited:
I'm not sure, I checked and in France only 1(I mean 1 item once this one is sold they'll be out of consoles) bundle is available on amazon the rest is via invitation.
The stock is going on/off, on Amazon UK and Germany, stock has been consistent (for the GOW:R disc/digital bundle in Germany) and Non bundle (UK).

As edited in my post, Amazon US has NO restrictions with the GOW:R disc bundle.

Also, A lot of Japanese retailers have lifted restrictions about getting a PS5.

Time will tell if Jim Ryan needs to go or not…..

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
The stock is going on/off, on Amazon UK and Germany, stock has been consistent (for the GOW:R disc/digital bundle in Germany) and Non bundle (UK).

As edited in my post, Amazon US has NO restrictions with the GOW:R disc bundle.

Also, A lot of Japanese retailers have lifted restrictions about getting a PS5.

Time will tell if Jim Ryan needs to go or not…..
Yeah I know but I still have some sfriends that have troubles getting one so I dson't think they that readily available...At least in france though , I don't know about germany nor UK.

Yeah I know but I still have some sfriends that have troubles getting one so I dson't think they that readily available...At least in france though , I don't know about germany nor UK.
I hope the situation gets better in France, it seems that Spain is also facing similar problems. Could be that Sony is sending more stock to UK/Germany atm.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
I hope the situation gets better in France, it seems that Spain is also facing similar problems. Could be that Sony is sending more stock to UK/Germany atm.
Possible, Sony always did great numbers in spain an france too , not nintendo switch numbers but great numbers , that might be the reason, while UK was more Xbox and germany PC I believe.

Sirolf

There are some physical stock in my local FNAC (Le Mans) so the situation improves !

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
There are some physical stock in my local FNAC (Le Mans) so the situation improves !
Shit one of my friend that wants one went on a work trip from Paris to bretagne last week, why didn't you tell that a week ago....
He's gonna be pissed when I'll tell him.

reksveks

If the source is just me, please would like us to hold off on this point of the 19m forecast until we get confirmation. Might have misheard or might be a mistake.

Last edited:
Largely irrelevant for multiple reasons, like average price and obviously the pandemic but if you want to see what the ps5 needs to sell to catch up

PS4 9 quarters LTD: 37,700,000
PS5 9 quarters LTD: 32,100,000

Credit to Welfare for the numbers.
From a demand perspective, I'm guessing at least 45million units would need to be sold to keep up with the PS4. There are a lot more gamers now than in 2015. PS4's were on store shelves everywhere by this point

yurinka

10M of GoWR, plus the first Christmas season for GT7 and HFW, plus TLOUR, TLOUP1 and TLOU2 selling extra due to the tv show, plus PC ports.

Yes, makes sense.

They upped the forecast to 19m :messenger_face_screaming:
But people on GAF stated that even 18m was impossible:messenger_grinning_sweat:
Sony said in the past at least a couple times that they were confident on outperform their 18M estimation.

Last edited:
Top Bottom