• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony FY22Q3 Earnings Report

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
leave LULU alone sony fans

:messenger_grinning_smiling:

Donald Trump GIF by CBS News

Obligatory,
d7a.jpg

feynoob

Banned
Affordable yes, but time-wise, what working person/professional has time to game on two similar home consoles (especially when we assume said demographic also has PC and maybe a Switch)?

Only if you're a kid or young student and have time to kill it's feasible.
Your last makes no sense for gamers.
If you are a gamer, you will buy the consoles that you want to play. Both of them, if you want to.

Keyword being 'all-time high for PS4 onwards'.
PS2 Q4 record is 6.1M - and it's historically relevant in this context.
While it was post-sales peak (2005), it followed introduction of 7xxx series (PS2 Slim) which suffered shortages in holiday quarter (also resulting in a rare win for Xbox in NPD that year).
Basically, coming off of a shortage period - inflated Q4s have been known to happen.
No Official quarterly hardware shipments were given by Sony during the PS2 era to my knowledge, the only hardware data we got were yearly shipments and production per quarter. where are you getting this 6.1m figure from?

Baki

Kind of insane that Sony projects to sell 6.2M for this coming quarter. It would be a historic Q1. If Sony can keep up that kind of sales momentum, we can be looking at 30M FY24. I also suspect that if the ABK deal closes, Sony will bid for Take Two. Take Two will give them the only game that's bigger than COD (GTA) and a leading mobile game publisher in Zynga. Take Two is valued at $18B on a projected revenue of $4.5-$5B. Sony would likely have to pay $26B to get the deal done. But buying Take Two doesn't fully counter the huge leg up in IPs that MS gets from ABK. ABK has many more tier 1 franchises aside from COD, such as WOW, Diablo, Starcraft and Overwatch. I would argue that ABK on it's own has more attractive IPs and game sales than Sony entire 1st party roster at the moment. That doesn't take into account the juggernaut franchises that MS gained from the Bethesda deal (ES, Fallout).

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
No Official quarterly hardware shipments were given by Sony during the PS2 era to my knowledge, the only hardware data we got were yearly shipments and production per quarter. where are you getting this 6.1m figure from?
Official pages are no longer up - but https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_2_sales has the numbers that were in Sony's quarterly reports.
Anyway that quarter also had PS2 break NPD records for January and February respectively - but yes it owed a great deal to undershipping/manufacturing issues with the Slim during holidays.

Wulfer

So the only reason to oppose a gargantuan trasaction helping a player outmuscle the competition, and possibly paving the way for an eventual monopoly in the future, is for its rivals to be struggling financially, with their products underperforming? 🤡
Like I said good luck proving your struggling like Sony is claiming it will be. Remember COD is a ground breaking game that Sony can't live without and the company won't be the same if MS buys ABK. BS Get those docs ready Jim.

BeardGawd

Banned
Affordable yes, but time-wise, what working person/professional has time to game on two similar home consoles (especially when we assume said demographic also has PC and maybe a Switch)?

Only if you're a kid or young student and have time to kill it's feasible.
If you only play exclusives there's plenty of time. And as a working professional owning all consoles allows me to pick the cream of the crop and ensures I'm using my time wisely.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
You have to give Playstation management, credit for how they are able to correctly read the current marget. After the PS3 gen, they have not made many financial blunders at all. Yes, not all they have done im on board with, but the numbers are irrefutable.

I give Jim Ryan and others at Playstation credit for NOT making a PS5 "S" version. Smart move on their part.

GHG

I give Jim Ryan and others at Playstation credit for NOT making a PS5 "S" version. Smart move on their part.

As harsh as it sounds, pandering to people who don't have money during a recession is a bad idea. Reason being that in this environment when people don't have money, they really don't have money, to the extent that even a couple of hundred quid on a console is not feasible.

It's no coincidence that neither AMD or Nvidia are in a rush to release their mid-low end new generation GPU's. By and large the target audience for those products are squeezed, might as well wait until a time when you can release them with better margins.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Nah. It was a decade ago. Xbox has since launched 2 consoles under Phil's management. And Don Mattrick's Xbox One launch was pacing 60% ahead of Xbox 360. He is not to be blamed.

Doesn't work like that. Sony also failed during the PS3 generation. They recovered the very next-gen. Why can't Xbox even after 10 years? Still blaming poor old Don.

Lets not get carried away here. 87 million sole isn't a failure.

Sony proving out why they don't do day one PS+ releases.

Crushing it.

THIS! Video game reports just don't understand that the "Best Deal in Gaming" is very slowly hurting Xbox for the long term. Nintendo and Playstation are doing it the correct way. They are like Disney at this point, whereas MS is like Universal Studios\Peacock+.

It's best to release your movies in movie theaters first and then put them on streaming later, than doing both day and date.

Posted earlier in the thread - but it's been done before (at least by a Playstation).

Pent-up demand + finally getting enough stock is likely going to result in inflated quarter, but we'll see by how much.
Done a bit of digging and while that 6.08 million figure for FYQ4 2005 is correct it does appear to be production shipments and not shipped to retailers (sold in). From Sony's investors relations page it states that from FY 2008 hardware sales will be reported as sold-in and not production, therefore FY 2007 has been revised with this method. So all official sales data for PS2 from 2000 to 2006 was production shipments and not shipped to retailers.

5fVAKrD.jpg

Last edited:
Why has she been brought up here?I think I miss some context here.

She said TLOU being a hit TV show should allow MS to buy ABK.

She's also a union buster.

At ABK.

Among other hilarious statements.

Kind of insane that Sony projects to sell 6.2M for this coming quarter. It would be a historic Q1. If Sony can keep up that kind of sales momentum, we can be looking at 30M FY24. I also suspect that if the ABK deal closes, Sony will bid for Take Two. Take Two will give them the only game that's bigger than COD (GTA) and a leading mobile game publisher in Zynga. Take Two is valued at $18B on a projected revenue of $4.5-$5B. Sony would likely have to pay $26B to get the deal done. But buying Take Two doesn't fully counter the huge leg up in IPs that MS gets from ABK. ABK has many more tier 1 franchises aside from COD, such as WOW, Diablo, Starcraft and Overwatch. I would argue that ABK on it's own has more attractive IPs and game sales than Sony entire 1st party roster at the moment. That doesn't take into account the juggernaut franchises that MS gained from the Bethesda deal (ES, Fallout).

I would say everything non-COD is already Tier 2 then for ABK. WOW has been on the decline for years, and Starcraft has been dormant for over a decade. Overwatch 2 had a strong start but it's settled down a lot since then. Diablo tends to sell pretty well, but that just means their strongest IP are COD and Diablo, sales-wise, and Sony has IP like GT, Spiderman and GOW that can move Diablo numbers. In some cases quite easily.

So I wouldn't say on those terms Sony's outclassed by ABK, not by a long shot. However, COD does bring in more revenue regularly than any of Sony's IPs, that much is true. They also have more active IP with a recurring revenue model than Sony, but that's something Sony is looking to fix with having a decent spread of live-service content. As for Bethesda, keep in mind most of Skyrim & Fallout's sales in modern times have been on consoles, with a generally even split between Xbox and PlayStation. If they are no longer multiplat, then they will be missing out on the lion's share of PS revenue, and the reduced spending power on Xbox (partially due to Game Pass effect) won't be enough to make up for that. PC might pick up some of the sales that'd of otherwise gone to PS or even Nintendo, but not by enough to completely make up for them, and if PC Game Pass is growing as much as MS wants to claim, those discount options still being widely available will hurter bottom-line revenue significantly.

I guess this is my long-winded way of saying Sony doesn't NEED to acquire Take-Two to counter Zenimax or even ABK, but they do need a nice stable of at least 2-3 moderately healthy live-service games (not counting Destiny, so make that 3-4) pulling in a good amount of recurring revenue collectively, in addition to continuing with the marquee AAA bangers and maybe spreading their wings with some smaller AA efforts (internal or external) that can also find purpose on mobile for yet more audience & revenue growth. Although in the case MS end up being just completely greedy and want to try buying Take-Two even AFTER having MORE than enough between the XGS, Zenimax & (potentially, if it's approved) ABK teams, then yeah, Sony should buy them just to cockblock MS.

Either them or a company like Apple or Amazon do it, the latter in particular would be interesting since it seems they are not wanting to give up on their gaming initiative whatsoever, and we know how much a thorn they've been to Microsoft in general. But at least even in their case, we know GTA would be allowed to function as it always has, and not leveraged against Sony to strongarm them or starve them of content the way only a massive big tech with their own competing games console & service, who entered the industry specifically to "stop Sony" in the first place, which is probably what would eventually happen if MS were to get Take-Two and GTA.

BeardGawd

Banned

As harsh as it sounds, pandering to people who don't have money during a recession is a bad idea. Reason being that in this environment when people don't have money, they really don't have money, to the extent that even a couple of hundred quid on a console is not feasible.

It's no coincidence that neither AMD or Nvidia are in a rush to release their mid-low end new generation GPU's. By and large the target audience for those products are squeezed, might as well wait until a time when you can release them with better margins.
You guys are missing the point I think. Sure the S was for people with less money (plus Game Pass) but it's also for people that don't care about the best graphics and are not as Hardcore. Do you think Switch owners are all poor? I know several people with cheapo phones that do everything they need and they make six figures. People have different priorities. It also makes for a great secondary console introducing more people to the brand.

mckmas8808

You guys are missing the point I think. Sure the S was for people with less money (plus Game Pass) but it's also for people that don't care about the best graphics and are not as Hardcore. Do you think Switch owners are all poor? I know several people with cheapo phones that do everything they need and they make six figures. People have different priorities. It also makes for a great secondary console introducing more people to the brand.

The bolded is the problem to me. I don't want my company to sell its prized product as a 2nd class citizen console.

GHG

It doesn't take a genius to work out the fact that the switch and the PS5/Xbox serve different purposes. So much so that Xbox gave gone on record in stating they don't see the switch as a competing console to their offerings. The same goes for those who game on mobile phones.

If it was such a great solution then it would be selling by the truckload, especially at a time like this, but the fact is that a incremental/sideways upgrade over previous gen consoles (especially the mid-gen refresh machines) is not seen as an attractive proposition for the majority of gamers who seek to play AAA games on console.

And no, I'm not suggesting people who purchase the switch are poor either. Price alone is only one part of the equation and if you didn't notice Nintendo don't offer a more premium solution.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
THIS! Video game reports just don't understand that the "Best Deal in Gaming" is very slowly hurting Xbox for the long term. Nintendo and Playstation are doing it the correct way. They are like Disney at this point, whereas MS is like Universal Studios\Peacock+.

It's best to release your movies in movie theaters first and then put them on streaming later, than doing both day and date.

It's also best to be cautious and not jump into things that if you revert, people will complain about.

Spencer is sort of "THAT GUY" though.. "FROM NOW ON ALL OF OUR GAMES WILL BE DAY 1 GAMEPASS!"

Meanwhile Sony if they really feel like it can release any game they want day 1 on PS+ and it would just be a bonus thing and they'd probably be really clear it's not an expectation they are setting.

MS is just stuck w/ what they've promised really. Not that they care.. they aren't interested in going back to anything, they think they'll change the industry and scale to 100's of million of users.. and they will fail.

XXL

Gaming revenue comparison:
  • Xbox = -13%
  • PS = +53%
Hardware revenue comparison:
  • Xbox = -13%
  • PS = +119%
First-party content revenue comparison:
  • Xbox = -12% (first- and third-party)
  • PS = +22.7% (third party)
  • PS = +43.45% (first-party)
shocked holy shit GIF

We may be looking at a landslide this generation and by that, I mean more than normal.

I'm going to assume worldwide there is a gap much larger than people are expecting.

Jesus Christ, that's brutal.

bitbydeath

shocked holy shit GIF

We may be looking at a landslide this generation and by that, I mean more than normal.

I'm going to assume worldwide there is a gap much larger than people are expecting.

They should make Elder Scrolls VI Xbox exclusive (or at least timed for 2-5 years). And I mean from PC, not PS5.

Otherwise they need COD.

They should make Elder Scrolls VI Xbox exclusive (or at least timed for 2-5 years). And I mean from PC, not PS5.

Otherwise they need COD.

Prediction: COD won't be enough to reverse this. No singular game will.

MS need a consistent flow of mass-appeal AAA and AA games just to hold steady and normalize back to XBO rates, then maybe they can count on tracking ahead of XBO and somewhere closer to (but not at) 360 levels (if you were to normalize 360; a big chunk of its sales came post-Kinect release).

That's going to take the rest of the gen and only if they don't have any big screw-ups. Which is why if Starfield needs more time, they just need to delay it again. If that game comes out buggy and a mess, the majority of the rest of the gen will be a nosedive. Because Starfield basically is now a symbol of MS 1P AAA going forward, and however it turns out, will be a fair indicator of 1P AAA efforts as a whole.

Whether MS or Bethesda wanted it that way or not, that's how people are going to judge it. So if it needs more time, give it more time. Take the PR hit, throw out a concession, just don't drop the ball with Starfield.

In hindsight it was the right call. Yeah PS5 struggled through the back half of 2021 and early 2022 with supply issues, but they were always temporary. MS say they made Series S because they did not see the new consoles enjoying the price-reduction benefits of older systems.

But I think they may've made a critical miscalculation: it might not actually matter if the new consoles can reduce in pricing the same way older consoles did. Consoles today have a generally higher perceived value to customers than consoles back in the '90s (which could "only" play games and maybe music CDs with PS1 & Saturn and that sort) or the '00s did. People are generally willing to pay more on average for a console than they were back then, that even goes for the mainstream and casual bloomers who tend to come in a bit later.

Price just doesn't seem to be as big a concern for non-hardcore/core gamers as it used to be. I think they're more willing to buy in earlier if the perceived value is there, and it's clear between the two Sony have achieved that; Microsoft simply haven't. Yeah some of this is thanks to generations of building up brand value but that's just the market rewarding Sony for doing well every gen (outside of the early PS3 years), and never really dropping the ball for decades.

Microsoft were on their way to building up similar longer-term rapport with the OG Xbox and then the early 360 years, but they started losing that by 2010 especially with the hardcore/core gamers (just as Sony 1P for PS3 was picking up and 3P ports were running closer to parity or in some cases better on PS3). They even lost the casuals/mainstream because Kinect eventually ended up being a gimmick and Kinect 2 was nowhere near enough a draw for them to sink $500 into the XBO, even if the mainstream/casuals otherwise didn't care about the power gap between it and PS4. Plus XBO was a weak value prop for a lot of casual/mainstream gamers compared to the blooming mobile market.

Last edited:
Like I said good luck proving your struggling like Sony is claiming it will be. Remember COD is a ground breaking game that Sony can't live without and the company won't be the same if MS buys ABK. BS Get those docs ready Jim.

The point of contention is whether MS, using money gleaned through activities that have nothing to do with videogames, can be allowed to make such colossal acquisitions; and whether such moves can negatively impact the competitive landscape going forward...
It's not about whether Sony is doing fine today.
You made a pretty dumb point...but that is to be expected by now.

Last edited:

truth411

well, 20.8 mil but yeah

god of war ragnarok
god of war
gran turismo 7
horizon forbidden west
the last of us part 1
the last of us part 2
ratchet rift apart
miles morales
ghost of tsushima
mlb 22

all charted in the last few months
Also my GOTY in 2021
Returnal!!!

mckmas8808

shocked holy shit GIF

I predict PSVR2 will be a bigger system seller this year for the PS5, than Starfield is for Xbox. I'm basing this on the fact that every MS exclusive will be coming out on PC and some of their exclusives will be playable on the Xbox One.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Thats basically what i said last year. If sony wants to stay in this business, they simply cannot afford to lose cod. And GTA will be their break out of jail card.

The only problem is that Take2 was worth $18 billion but then they bought zynga for $12 billion. so if sony wants to buy take2, they will need to pay around $30 billion and face stiff competition from microsoft who will undoubtedly bid to raise the price.

But it's something Sony must do. CoD is the most played game on consoles with 55% of all console players playing it. gta is second at 45%.

Wulfer

The point of contention is whether MS, using money gleaned through activities that have nothing to do with videogames, can be allowed to make such colossal acquisitions; and whether such moves can negatively impact the competitive landscape going forward...
It's not about whether Sony is doing fine today.
You made a pretty dumb point...but that is to be expected by now.
No the point is if this goes to court the fallout could be brutal for both. However, go ahead with your console waring ideas it make the thread fun! Apple and Epic were quite entertaining I'm sure Sony and MS can top it! I think MS could have been blocked but, Sony blew up COD like it's the only IP that matters from 3rd parties. Now they got to try and prove that point. Another words were in for a good ride unless Sony back down. MS isn't going to because they have too much at stake!

Last edited:
No the point is if this goes to court the fallout could be brutal for both. However, go ahead with your console waring ideas it make the thread fun! Apple and Epic were quite entertaining I'm sure Sony and MS can top it!

I don't engage in console warring, buddy, but I am old enough to appreciate MS shenanigans. I honestly could not care less about MS buying publishers, on the condition that they don't get to take franchises away from the rest of the market willy-nilly.

It doesn't take a genius to work out the fact that the switch and the PS5/Xbox serve different purposes. So much so that Xbox gave gone on record in stating they don't see the switch as a competing console to their offerings. The same goes for those who game on mobile phones.

If it was such a great solution then it would be selling by the truckload, especially at a time like this, but the fact is that a incremental/sideways upgrade over previous gen consoles (especially the mid-gen refresh machines) is not seen as an attractive proposition for the majority of gamers who seek to play AAA games on console.

And no, I'm not suggesting people who purchase the switch are poor either. Price alone is only one part of the equation and if you didn't notice Nintendo don't offer a more premium solution.
Another reason not to have an S is that Sony use PS4 for that purpose. I always wondered why Xbox bothered with Series S when Xbox One is right there.

PS4 is still a good starter machine for people who want to save money and never had one. Sony always keep the previous gen alive for a long time for a reason.

I agree that T2 is the likely target if the ABK. deal closes.

I think T2 is actually a much better buy than CoD. It's easier to make a CoD killer than it is to make a GTA killer and T2 gives you entry into every major sport except for football, but gives you an option to explore football again when the time is right. Red Dead is bigger than all the games you mentioned outside of CoD.

Zynga gives you direct entry into mobile.

If Sony were to buy T2, I see them going directly after the FIFA license as well.

T2 compliments Sony is ways that no other company does.

If they put GTA6 and Red Dead 3 and Red Dead remake exclusively on a PC PlayStation launcher, that gets them immediate entry along with TLOU MP, Gran Turismo 7/VR, e.t.c.

If I'm Sony, I'd go all in on T2, and then still look at CDPR and From Software.

Another reason not to have an S is that Sony use PS4 for that purpose. I always wondered why Xbox bothered with Series S when Xbox One is right there.

PS4 is still a good starter machine for people who want to save money and never had one. Sony always keep the previous gen alive for a long time for a reason.

It's interesting that PS4 never really got a significant price cut. They just discontinued the PS4 Pro because the price was the same as the PS5 Digital.

They're barely selling the original, though they have a Modern Warfare bundle up on PS Direct for 340.

xiskza

Nice to see stock issues are resolved in the US, but poor me here in Portugal - never seen a PS5 available still

I agree that T2 is the likely target if the ABK. deal closes.

I think T2 is actually a much better buy than CoD. It's easier to make a CoD killer than it is to make a GTA killer and T2 gives you entry into every major sport except for football, but gives you an option to explore football again when the time is right. Red Dead is bigger than all the games you mentioned outside of CoD.

Zynga gives you direct entry into mobile.

If Sony were to buy T2, I see them going directly after the FIFA license as well.

T2 compliments Sony is ways that no other company does.

If they put GTA6 and Red Dead 3 and Red Dead remake exclusively on a PC PlayStation launcher, that gets them immediate entry along with TLOU MP, Gran Turismo 7/VR, e.t.c.

If I'm Sony, I'd go all in on T2, and then still look at CDPR and From Software.

Only way I see this working is if Sony agreed to continue allows T2 games to be multiplatform.

Ronin_7

Banned
At this point, Microsoft can buy Activision, EA and ubisoft and they would still be behind Sony. Its not just a meme, there really is no stopping this train. I don't see anyone stopping sonys dominance. Well, except for themselves.

Sony is building a Nintendo like First Party, i wouldn't be surprised if Sony acquires some other medium sized teams that make great games.

3rd party is still important because GaaS but if SONY gets GaaS right internally they become a juggernaut without needing anyone else.

They just need some more studios, like 30-40 of great quality, currently they've like 23-25.

Top Bottom