• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony FY2023 Q1Report: 3.3 Million PS5 sold

onQ123

wnCe6Wl.png

Last edited:

MrA

Banned
Digital ratio down year over year win! People gonna have options and you gotta deal with digital-only short sights.

consoles were still impossible to get until february but might not be that
now it's everywhere
this is april may and june, anyway , q4 was just super hot so it burnt off tons of pent-up demand, clearly sony wants that 25 million( I don't think they'll hit it unless they play things perfectly but they are going in 100% to try and make it)
for context q1 2016 ps4 shipped 3.5 million

Kikorin

That's very low in my opinion, I would have expected some impressive numbers, especially with the good weekly numbers is moving in Japan. I don't know if PS5 is still supply constricted somewhere? I thought it was pretty easy to find everywhere.

MrTired

Could just be that there were move PS5 in the channel then previously thought to achieve that 6.1 million in Q4 FY22. Cause we know that sell through for PS5 in up.

AREYOUOKAY?

Looking at the number, yeah, physical software is doomed
Microsoft and Sony are barely putting anything in stores on purpose. The Switch section of games has more than those two combined in just about every store I go to. I dunno if it's the case everywhere else but it honestly would not surprise me.

Last edited:

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
Interesting, if there aim is to ship 25 million units and they only shipped 3.3 for this first quarter then they will be moving a ridiculous amount in Q3.
not sure how they gonna do it, we shall see.
Its either unachievable this time, or they have some games to push the console sales, chances are slim

MrA

Banned
The Doom and Gloom for the PS5 begins
well, Hardcore Sony fans should not be happy, they certainly weren't when I said in the yearly results that ps5 wasn't going to blow away the ps4. Normal people on the other hand should see solid q1 results pointing toward one of the PlayStation's best years ever (20 million units+ mountains of software, though I personally think that 25 million is a moonshot)

Looking at the number, yeah, physical software is doomed

a quarter of a billion dollars in revenue and the digital encroachment is down substantially yoy is bad to you?, you're just going to have to learn to live with people having options ... for some baffling reason, why would not want something that benefits everyone?

Hardware Sales for Quarter 1 FY 23/24 are up 900k year over year, Quarter 2 is usually bigger than Quarter 1 so we should see a decent sized increase for Q2.

85X6FlH.png

PS5 Versus PS4 and PS3

For the 1st quarter of the 3rd full FY (yellow) the 3.3 million the PS5 shipped is 200k down on PS4's 3.5 million and 2.2 million up on PS3's 1.1 million. After 11 quarters PS5 totals 41.7 million compared to 43.7 million for PS4 and 23.8 million for PS3. This means launch aligned the PS5 is 2 million down on PS4 and 17.9 million up on PS3.

vzWIH4O.png

igxedPP.png

Last edited:

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
Yeah I can't figure out any game they'll release soon that is guaranteed to move millions of units...

Spider-Man Dance GIF
SM2 is going to push sales no doubt, but im not sure its enough to to achieve the target or not.

Io6W1P8.png

PS5 versus current competitors

For the 1st quarter of the 3rd full FY (yellow) the 3.3 million the PS5 shipped is 1.9 million up on XBS' 1.4 million (est) and 1.17 million up on NSW's 2.13 million. After 11 quarters PS5 totals 41.7 million compared to 23.2 million (est) for XBS and 41.67 million for NSW. This means launch aligned the PS5 is 18.5 million (est) up on XBS and 0.03 million up on NSW.

y7uum1X.png

Rq9FnvS.png

Note: XBS hardware shipments are my personal estimates based on it's hardware revenue.

Last edited:
Top Bottom