• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony FY22Q4 Earnings Report - 6.3m PS5 sold, 61% YoY growth (~340 HW growth)

reksveks

So no PSVR2 numbers yet, but it helped push peripheral sales from ¥51.7bn to ¥142.9bn over the same period last year. Does that sound right?
Also need to figure how much the dualsense edge and other controllers drove.

'Best case' - 90bn yen equals about 700m is about 1.27m units.

Using the previous quarter - 60bn yen equals 460m is about 0.84m units.

It's all estimates though.

Last edited:

Max_Po

Banned
It's giving :

455264868-yearbook19.jpg

I had a Chinese class fellow back in 98/99 in high school. He would purposefully tell incorrect solutions to fellow classmates.

'Best case' - 90bn yen equals about 700m is about 1.27m unitw

Of course.

Even if PSVR2 accounted for only half of that, 400,000 - 600,000 in 5 weeks is way above “analyst’s” claims.

Radical_3d

Man, that -30% yoy really hurts… oops, wrong thread!

Jokes aside I’m guilty of having one myself but it saddens me that you can have a generation like PS4 (zero innovation, double down on the ND formula, closing emblematic studios) and keep on that track with PS5, plus all the shitty moves Jimbo does (moving to PC, etc) and still wins. It’s Nintendo all over again. But then again I bough a Series X and it’s even worse. There’s just no good company now. Or good enough. You just choose a couple shitty unfulfilling companies and bought their systems trying to fish some of the glorious experiences of PS360 generation and earlier.

Thirty7ven

Banned
Did they release PSVR2 numbers?

NPD has been harping about this for a while now. Software sales are down and are not growing with the console userbase. I get that the guy has a hard-on for anything Sony negative but it doesnt mean hes wrong.

Selling hardware is great but software is where the money is made. Their entire model revolves around taking a loss on hardware and making money back on software and services. If the consumers are shy about buying new games then it is going to hurt their bottom line eventually. Thats precisely why we make a big deal about poor xbox game sales in UK.

I really believe that Sony and other publishers need to take a look at the $70 price tag and re-adjust. Big games like hogwarts will sell but as we go into the 50 million userbase range, the cheapos are not going to be able to afford every $70 game. This year is fucking packed with games. The last thing you want is for people to start skipping Jedi fallen order because they already bought hogwarts, RE4 and dead space at $70.

PS+ Extra and Gamepass might also have conditioned gamers to wait a year for games to show up on services for free. Id get rid of those services asap and bring game prices back down to $70. 3rd, 4th and 5th year of each gen is the most profitable and unless Sony and Microsoft are waiting for another covid like 7th year, they are going to need to do something about falling software sales.

Hope you realize that the identified solution by analysts like the one quoted are live service games. More recurrent spending, more maus, and more licensed IP btw.

Dropping 10$ on the price of games during an economic recession won’t make people buy non established mediocre games. They will simple save 10$ on the game they wanted to buy.

Investors want PlayStation studios cranking out more big hits like God of War at a consistent clip but until the industry solves the game dev timeline problem, the only solution is more smaller games like Miles Morales. It’s why Sony is spending billions growing the size of its studios and buying new studios. But again, they want live service games. Right now PlayStation is trying to find a balance between their SP games with transmedia capabilities, and the investors thirst for live service games because that’s investors care about.

The price of the game isn’t the real problem because PSN is constantly doing sales. And games do sell well.

leo-j

Why is PS5's demand suddenly become that high? Even surpassing the best season sales against PS2
Gaming is bigger than it’s ever been, that and if you want to play ps4 games u can’t really buy a ps4. Also ps5 is the go to platform for this gen, u can’t really get a series x like that either and they have been pushing huge games like Hogwarts, GT7, god of war, horizon, soon Spiderman it’s the hardcore console to get tbh. They can do 30 million if they have the stock tbh.

I would really like to see these live service first party games out of interest. Even Factions I have no fucking clue what it is really.

They gotta show it and others in their next showcase surely.

Gamerguy84

Now the hardware is in people's hands game sales will follow.

New owners have a huge catalog of hit games to play in PSPLUS but game sales will come.

Those are some crazy numbers.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Absolutely. I predicted 3:1 once the gen was over. I think we'll get there before the gen is over.

There's a greater than 50% chance that we get to 4:1 by the time the next-gen consoles release. I base that on Xbox REALLY slowing down in the console hardware space and ending with 39 million total consoles sold by the year 2025. And with Sony selling 150 million PS5s by the end of the generation.

I don't think people truly remember that Sony had the best Jan-Mar Quarter of any console in video game's history AFTER INCREASING THE PRICE TO $550!!!!! No console has ever come out at a particular launch price and then INCREASED its price after 2 years. Usually, the price at retail goes down after 2 years. Sony literally did the opposite and then had higher sales. What happens when the price of the standard PS5 gets to $399?

Unknown?

When it's in the dock, it translates the signal just like any other console. There is no difference between a docked Switch and a PS5 in terms of console definitions.
You know darn well that isn't the case and you actively ignored the part about all the Lite sells that are lumped in with their totals.

With that loose of a definition, my phone is a console. There is no difference between the PS5 when I have it hooked up with a USB to HDMI cable and a Bluetooth controller.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Some graphs between the two companies that have had their earnings call

SW and Services revenue in usd

rEZqn5t.png

HW revenue in USD

A0RHvlX.png

HW revenue in USD as % of marketshare

445t873.png

Software and Services revenue in US as a % of marketshare

HUso98k.png

Nintendo doesn't come out for a week

So......is this chart saying that Sony made $5.3 Billion in services and software in the last quarter alone? And made $8 Billion through Playstation overall? In one quarter?

Why is PS5's demand suddenly become that high? Even surpassing the best season sales against PS2

1: Bigger industry

2: More PS nostalgia today (vs. back during PS2 era)

3: Stronger marketing

4: Just generally more demand

And that's all despite costing more PS2 (even when adjusted for inflation, a PS2 would "only" cost $518 today; granted PS5 is cheaper than that here in US & UK)!

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
So......is this chart saying that Sony made $5.3 Billion in services and software in the last quarter alone? And made $8 Billion through Playstation overall? In one quarter?
If they keep up this pace, they would have increased their yearly average revenue from $25 billion to $32 billion!

reksveks

Yeah R reksveks what do you make of this? Is there something that we can take from this to point to the what the PSVR2 sold?

'Best case' - 90bn yen equals about 700m is about 1.27m units.

Rough ranges

If they keep up this pace, they would have increased their yearly average revenue from $25 billion to $32 billion!
Their yearly forecast is 30bn but obviously may beat that.

Bragr

Banned
You know darn well that isn't the case and you actively ignored the part about all the Lite sells that are lumped in with their totals.

With that loose of a definition, my phone is a console. There is no difference between the PS5 when I have it hooked up with a USB to HDMI cable and a Bluetooth controller.
Know darn well what? if your phone had a dock built to output signals, it could also be used as a home console. This is not a loose definition, this is a common definition since the birth of console gaming.

If you wanna remove the lite numbers, go ahead.

Top Bottom