• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony FY2023 Q1Report: 3.3 Million PS5 sold

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
true, but they're not getting that q4 again if they can hold around that 38% growth with a normal q4 will put them around 22 million, which is excellent,
but the 38% growth isn't with the push they've been making with sales and discounts on accessories etc, , Maybe they can hit 25 million, but like I've said in the past I"m not super bullish on that, but of course I also don't subscribe to doom and gloom because they only achieved strong growth instead super strong growth. This is going to be one of sony's best years for PlayStation no matter what,

But why are you expecting a normal Q4? Sony seems to be VERY confident that they have the content to make 7 million in Q4 happen.

Looks like the price cut was due to missing PS5 sale expectations.

Sony's latest quarterly report included some bad news for the company, marked by a 31% drop in operating profit from April to June. Though PS5 sales fell below expectations, Sony still says that it expects the console to sell 25 million this financial year, which would be a record for the console. (Current sales for the console are more than 40 million).

Regarding the 3.3 million PS5s sold in the last quarter, Sony management said, "This amount is somewhat less than the expected progress toward our fiscal year sales target of 25 million units, but, due to promotions begun in July, we are seeing an improvement in the momentum of sales."

Sony added: "We have positioned the accelerated penetration of PS5 hardware as one of the highest priorities in this fiscal year, and we will try to work steadily to implement necessary measures to achieve our hardware sales target of 25 million units."
So this is whay there is no price cut in continental Europe. PS5 is still 550€ here vs 450$ in US. Shameful.

Last edited:
Solid performance. Their Q2 will be huge and the Q3 with the price cut will be monumental.

Also good to see the digital software split drop.

How come they sell 6.6 million units of software...in q1 and q2? 😆
Does this excite you? 🤣
I don't think spidey will be as hot as some people think, don't get me wrong it's gonna be hot, but like god of war +15 to 25% hot not Zelda hot, probably 5.5-6.5 Million weeks 1, 11 to 13 million by years end

zedinen

26-27 million in CY2023, if Sony were to lower the price (a big IF)

dWP2kEU.jpg

q4 was all of the pent-up demand finally being met, historically it was more than double a normal q4

Sony's weakest market ...

ddSerg9.jpg

I don't think spidey will be as hot as some people think, don't get me wrong it's gonna be hot, but like god of war +15 to 25% hot not Zelda hot, probably 5.5-6.5 Million weeks 1, 11 to 13 million by years end

Spider-Man 2 Gameplay Reveal accumulates 29 million views and 53,000 comments across PlayStation and Marvel channels

Spider-Man has become a global phenomenon, thanks to Sony Pictures and Insomniac Games

Spider-Man: Homecoming (2017) - Box Office $880 million

pvNBI93.jpg

Spider-Man: No Way Home (2021) - Box Office $1,893 million

ZT9aJn3.jpg

Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (2018) - Box Office $374 million

8fcXV4g.jpg

Spider-Man: Across the Spider-verse (2023) - Box Office $680 million
(source: Hiroki Totoki)

g5wxnPi.jpg

Hardensoul

So this is whay there is no price cut in continental Europe. PS5 is still 550€ here vs 450$ in US. Shameful.
I'm not sure why you are saying there won't be a price cut.

This quote literally said they'll likely need to do price cuts. The promotions mention were price cut sales.

"Regarding the 3.3 million PS5s sold in the last quarter, Sony management said, "This amount is somewhat less than the expected progress toward our fiscal year sales target of 25 million units, but, due to promotions begun in July, we are seeing an improvement in the momentum of sales.""

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
26-27 million in CY2023, if Sony were to lower the price (a big IF)

dWP2kEU.jpg

Where and how are you getting 26-27 million? I don't understand your chart at all! It's confusing.

A 7 million Q4 is highly highly unlikely. FFVIIR2 isn't going to have such a big effect.

It must be the price drop, FF 7R II, and some Sony 1st party game(s). Sony seems extremely sure they will hit 25 million this FY.

Woopah

Where and how are you getting 26-27 million? I don't understand your chart at all! It's confusing.

It must be the price drop, FF 7R II, and some Sony 1st party game(s). Sony seems extremely sure they will hit 25 million this FY.
If they want to hit that they'll need strong numbers in Q2 and Q3. A 7 million Q4 isn't happening without a very very significant price cut.

Last edited:
Top Bottom