• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSVR2 sold 600k, 8% more than PSVR in the same time.

XesqueVara

18xkSh1.png

From the lastest PS business meeting launched today
Its 8% more than PSVR guys i just fumbled the thread title.
ty mods

Last edited:

Ansphn

That's a success story right there. 600k more than the PSVR1. Sony just need to keep buiding the fan base for VR and continue with top tier VR games. I predict the PSVR2 sell 7-10 million units life time. PSVR3 is when their VR headset takes off.

Last edited:

SeraphJan

I don't know how many VR2 unit will RE4 push, most people that are interested in the game probably already finished it by now.

Last edited:

Katatonic

Still haven’t gotten mine. Hopefully they’ll show some stuff at the show tmrw that’ll push me over the edge.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
If true, it did this WITHOUT retail units in stores and LESS ps5s on the market than ps4s when the psvr1 launched.

VR dead.

As much as you might like to see that as some sort of enormous win, it's not. It's a good bet Sony had expected to sell a lot more than this, and cut their order to match when they saw it wasn't going to move. It's in stock everywhere (in Canada is was in retail stores, and still didn't sell out, despite a higher average income than the U.S).

Yes there was a smaller user base, but it's still 35 Million or so. (52 Million at end of 2016 for PS4) But it's been 7 years since PSVR, and the VR market has grown by about 5X. Yet sales of the PSVR2 being sold at the same rate as PSVR1 is a win?

Last edited:

Three

It's in stock everywhere (in Canada is was in retail stores, and still didn't sell out, despite a higher average income than the U.S).

Yes there was a smaller user base, but it's still 35 Million or so. (52 Million at end of 2016 for PS4) But it's been 7 years since PSVR, and the VR market has grown by about 15X. VR market has gone from 2 Billion to 30 Billion. Yet sales of the PSVR2 being sold at the same rate as PSVR1 is a win?
Why was it expected to sell out or be supply constrained?

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Before someone jumps in and says the PSVR1 was cheaper and the PSVR2 was more expensive, that's why it's impressive, adjusted for inflation and the cost of motion controllers, the PSVR1 was actually more expensive by just a bit.

Three

Aren't most super hot popular electronics items these days, especially on a launch date?
No? The PS5 is a hot popular electronic and that's not sold out anymore either. Just because there is good supply doesn't mean it's below expectations or has poor sales.

Last edited:

Romulus

As much as you might like to see that as some sort of enormous win, it's not. It's a good bet Sony had expected to sell a lot more than this, and cut their order to match when they saw it wasn't going to move. It's in stock everywhere (in Canada is was in retail stores, and still didn't sell out, despite a higher average income than the U.S).

Yes there was a smaller user base, but it's still 35 Million or so. (52 Million at end of 2016 for PS4) But it's been 7 years since PSVR, and the VR market has grown by about 5X. Yet sales of the PSVR2 being sold at the same rate as PSVR1 is a win?

Canada having units in stock has absolutely zero to do with anything. PS5 has units in stock, doesn't mean that having retail units AND online options doesn't yield more sales. The point is, it outperformed PSVR1 despite that. I could go in and try and demo kiosk of PSVR1 the first month and buy one that same day. Nada for PSVR2.

Your user base argument makes even less sense. 35 million vs 52 million means nothing because "VR market grew." What? You mean standalone VR grew, which is very different altogether. People who buy standalone wireless units to play beat saber aren't crossing over in droves to buy a wired VR unit attached to a PS5 for RE8 and GT7.

And it was more expensive. People don't see "omg inflation" it's the same price actually!

Last edited:
Top Bottom