• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSVR2 sold 600k, 8% more than PSVR in the same time.

Fredrik

It needs the games. Half-Life Alyx and Astrobot 2 would be a good start.
Just needs official PCVR support, would solve so much and boost VR in general.
Something way bigger than Astrobot would be nice too but I think the drop seen at the end of the sales graph compared to PSVR1 would spike upwards instantly if PCVR gamers could use the headset as well.

Anyhow the graph doesn’t show how it sells compared to Quest 2. I know Quest 2 sold faster than PSVR1 but don’t know by how much. How close are they?

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Just needs official PCVR support, would solve so much and boost VR in general.
Something way bigger than Astrobot would be nice too but I think the drop seen at the end of the sales graph compared to PSVR1 would spike upwards instantly if PCVR gamers could use the headset as well.

Anyhow the graph doesn’t show how it sells compared to Quest 2. I know Quest 2 sold faster than PSVR1 but don’t know by how much. How close are they?

Here you go.....

Fw28f3IWYAMGtIE

mrmustard

Banned
It's sold more units to less console base without being available in stores and no holiday season. So it's clearly doing fine. And anyone who's upset by that just has to wait for the next Bloomberg article. Everybody wins.
You have to give PSVR1 some pioneer credit. In 2016 the VR market was almost non exisiting with something like 3 million sales and in 2023 around 22 million VR headsets will be sold.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Niche-man
Hopefully it hits a million soon as devs aren't going to see much return here...then a few million.

Last edited:
I guess people who know what they are getting and just love VR were certainly more eager to get one this time, while PS VR 1 might have had the longer legs since curiosity of people was at a peak back then and now and then people just bought it for a rather long time period? While those who are not really on the hype train for VR2 now will need strong arguments to get back into VR.
I hope it has success, but so far I don't see why it should have it beyond the intitial first batch.

skit_data

Hasn't this been know for a while, i.e that it sold better than PSVR in the same timeframe?
And that's with it only being distributed via their own website...

Three

Niche-man
Hopefully it hits a million soon as devs aren't going to see much return here...then a few million.
You're never going to get a $150M VR exclusive blockbuster. VR has a good attach rate though so you're more likely to sell to that limited audience. That's why you will always get the VR hybrid games which don't cost that much to add the functionality to but can still rely on pancake game sales, that and the smaller VR only games like Beat Saber, Firewall etc.

Crayon

You have to give PSVR1 some pioneer credit. In 2016 the VR market was almost non exisiting with something like 3 million sales and in 2023 around 22 million VR headsets will be sold.

Everything was so different then. Not in the inflation and stuff. It seems like spendy entertainment stuff is still doing just fine. I mean with the public's exposure to vr. When I think about it, I can't tell if the newness would have helped or hurt compared to the second one coming out years later. On one hand, it was new and novel and the hype was through the roof. On the other hand, it was new and novel and there was no reason for anyone to be sure they were going to like it. I really don't know which way that goes. Could be either.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Is there any parties that track sales straight from manufacturers? How hard is it for Sony to fudge the numbers on this if its only from them? it's not like retailers are reporting sales to GFK in the UK.
I mean 40 to 50k units might be easy to kind of bend the rules a bit to make this look like its a win.

Will have to see how it does, now it's at retail.

Loxus

Is there any parties that track sales straight from manufacturers? How hard is it for Sony to fudge the numbers on this if its only from them? it's not like retailers are reporting sales to GFK in the UK.
I mean 40 to 50k units might be easy to kind of bend the rules a bit to make this look like its a win.

So you rather believe this over Sony?

Three

This was an investors meeting. That would be fraud.

acm2000

the hardcore will buy at launch no matter what the price but they ignoring the fact that the psvr1 line is heading to overtake psvr2 pretty swiftly in the coming weeks

Crayon

the hardcore will buy at launch no matter what the price but they ignoring the fact that the psvr1 line is heading to overtake psvr2 pretty swiftly in the coming weeks

I think that bump on psvr1 was the first holiday. If that's the case, the it's the vr2 that's going to do the overtaking. Next.

Loxus

Ok....That's fine.

Whats more worrying is how the sales are tapering off while PSVR one accelerated in sales. just look at the curve on that graph. They need to do something to drive sales.
PSVR 1 released October 13, 2016.
6+ weeks puts it going it to the holiday season.

If PSVR 2 is ahead of PSVR 1 now, what do you think PSVR 2 holiday season numbers are going to look like?

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
PSVR 1 released October 13, 2016.
6+ weeks puts it going it to the holiday season.

If PSVR 2 is ahead of PSVR 1 now, what do you think PSVR 2 holiday season numbers are going to look like?

Hopefully it does well, let's see. Just needs a price cut I think and some good software shown tonight and its on for a great growth opportunity.

Loxus

Hopefully it does well, let's see. Just needs a price cut I think and some good software shown tonight and its on for a great growth opportunity.
Didn't you see the teardown video?
Ain't no way Sony is giving the PSVR 2 a price cut. It's not even 1 year old yet.

$600k in the first 6 weeks should put it at ~$1.5-2m after the holiday season.

Also, if VGChartz is to be believed. PSVR2 is selling about the same or better than the Xbox Series consoles.
IyJkONa.jpg

PanzerCute

Ok....That's fine.

Whats more worrying is how the sales are tapering off while PSVR one accelerated in sales. just look at the curve on that graph. They need to do something to drive sales.
Yes definitely, like announcing big games and put the thing at retailers.

Good thing is we have a PS showcase tonight and the PSVR2 has been released at retail 2 weeks ago.

PanzerCute

Ain't no way Sony is giving the PSVR 2 a price cut. It's not even 1 year old yet.

Also, if VGChartz is to be believed. PSVR2 is selling about the same or better than the Xbox Series consoles.
IyJkONa.jpg
Apparently the PSVR2 is sold at profit, so they could technically have a price cut or some bundles for holiday season.

And damn, Series consoles sales numbers make me sad :(

jm89

IyJkONa.jpg
For the last few months surprisingly there guesstimates have not been not too far off.

At the end of march their numbers are just over 36 million sell in for ps5 and sony reported 36 million sell in at the end of march 2023. They haven't adjusted either to get similar figure as sony.

They claimed moving to monthly updates will give more accurate data. So far not bad.

Although having said that let's see how their numbers pan out over the next few months/years, they've had stretches where they got it right in the past and then made huge mistakes.

Last edited:

Three

IyJkONa.jpg
This is monthly hardware in April only. PSVR2 isn't selling better than the Xbox Series consoles. Around the same or better than Xbox Series X, maybe.

Last edited:

Drizzlehell

Banned
First of all, I'm waiting for my Resident Evil 4 in VR, CAPCOM.

Secondly, I'm beginning to think that I've made a poor financial decision by investing in this thing, lol. So far it's looking like it's gonna end up just like PSVR 1, i.e. with no real support for first-party, high-quality VR games and only a handful of mid-shelf ports from PC.

I really want to be wrong about this and see more high-profile games like what we got at launch with Horizon, Village, Gran Turismo, and Star Wars. But if these numbers won't improve any time soon, then I'm sorry fellow PSVR 2 owners, but...
michael-scott-its-over-we-are-screwed.gif

Last edited:

midnightAI

First of all, I'm waiting for my Resident Evil 4 in VR, CAPCOM.

Secondly, I'm beginning to think that I've made a poor financial decision by investing in this thing, lol. So far it's looking like it's gonna end up just like PSVR 1, i.e. with no real support for first-party, high-quality VR games and only a handful of mid-shelf ports from PC.

I really want to be wrong about this and see more high-profile games like what we got at launch with Horizon, Village, Gran Turismo, and Star Wars. But if these numbers won't improve any time soon, then I'm sorry fellow PSVR 2 owners, but...
michael-scott-its-over-we-are-screwed.gif
You are really saying this several hours before the PlayStation showcase? why not wait a few hours before making that assumption?

Drizzlehell

Banned
You are really saying this several hours before the PlayStation showcase? why not wait a few hours before making that assumption?
We'll see what gets announced. There are a couple of games that were already announced that look really dope but I doubt that Sony has anything else in the barrel ready to go in terms of its first-party exclusive on the same level as Horizon.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
If true, it did this WITHOUT retail units in stores and LESS ps5s on the market than ps4s when the psvr1 launched.

VR dead.
Retail units are available since pre order in Europe. Media markt and other stores sell is like any other product.

midnightAI

We'll see what gets announced. There are a couple of games that were already announced that look really dope but I doubt that Sony has anything else in the barrel ready to go in terms of its first-party exclusive on the same level as Horizon.
I do, Sony has been holding a lot back in terms of announcements (in general, not just VR) and they have several first party teams who have vast experience with VR and nothing announced yet.

But anyway, wait and see, not long now.

Ar¢tos

The only reason I haven't bought one is because I caught a severe case of brokitis.
I already have the controller charging station and, hopefully, by Xmas I'll be able to buy it!
But I'm as hyped as when it launched and I already have 20+ games in my wishlist.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly

IyJkONa.jpg

Have you bought a PSVR2, are you enjoying it?

I also like to make random apples to oranges statements....

Davevil

600k units with a way more expensive headset, no retail availability for most countries, a lower number of consoles sold and a financial crisis?

Some morons are gonna eat crows today.
The other morons have an expensive HW's eat the dust

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
How am I making random statements?
You said it wanted a price cut.
I gave you examples of why it doesn't need one.

That's fine then, your opinion vs mine and many others in the industry.

I think it needs a price cut and some excellent games shown today...you think differently. That's all good.

Boss Mog

It would've been way more had they had an Astro Bot game ready at launch. I'm hoping to see one at tonight's showcase. Actually two, one VR and one non VR. Half-Life: Alyx at launch would've helped too.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Only 8% more than PSVR in the same time frame? Is that supposed to be impressive?
100% more options that other consoles. Most impressive.

PSVR1 launched in mid-October near the Christmas period so maintained its 6weeks into November/December better. PSVR2 launched in late February and still sold more overall.
And just got into retail stores a week or so ago. Only place was PS Direct, prior.

Last edited:
Top Bottom