• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSVR2 sold 600k, 8% more than PSVR in the same time.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Canada having units in stock has absolutely zero to do with anything. PS5 has units in stock, doesn't mean that having retail units AND online options doesn't yield more sales. The point is, it outperformed PSVR1 despite that. I could go in and try and demo kiosk of PSVR1 the first month and buy one that same day. Nada for PSVR2.

Your user base argument makes even less sense. 35 million vs 52 million means nothing because "VR market grew." What? You mean standalone VR grew, which is very different altogether. People who buy standalone wireless units to play beat saber aren't crossing over in droves to buy a wired VR unit attached to a PS5 for RE8 and GT7.

And it was more expensive.

In an affluent country where PS5's sell like hotcakes and the median income is high, you think it not selling here is a sign of success?
Having a demo kiosk wouldn't affect sales a whole lot.

As to units sold, I was talking about PS5 units, and potential buyers being smaller, but that's massively outweighed by the fact that there should be more people interested in VR at this point, 7 years later, and a vastly superior experience.

So your saying it's your position that VR isn't a larger market overall than in 2016? If that's true than "regular" VR is indeed doomed to be small market a long, long time.

And lastly, no, it wasn't more expensive, it was $399 (adjusted value for inflation is $499, time value of money matters) plus $75 for motion controllers. So it was about $599 vs $549 for PSVR2.

Last edited:

Kilau

OP, you need the right chart to with the math.

mario_kart_pie_chart.jpg

Crayon

We need to resurrect Eddie-Griffin to hear his thoughts.

Not really. They are going to look more or less like this:

As much as you might like to see that as some sort of enormous win, it's not. It's a good bet Sony had expected to sell a lot more than this, and cut their order to match when they saw it wasn't going to move. It's in stock everywhere (in Canada is was in retail stores, and still didn't sell out, despite a higher average income than the U.S).

Yes there was a smaller user base, but it's still 35 Million or so. (52 Million at end of 2016 for PS4) But it's been 7 years since PSVR, and the VR market has grown by about 5X. Yet sales of the PSVR2 being sold at the same rate as PSVR1 is a win?

Quack take.

Kilau

And lastly, no, it wasn't more expensive, it was $399 (adjusted value for inflation is $499, time value of money matters) plus $75 for motion controllers. So it was about $599 vs $549 for PSVR2.
Yeah if you didn't already have the camera and controllers it was a lot to jump into. The bundle with those and a "game" was $499

FrankWza

As much as you might like to see that as some sort of enormous win, it's not. It's a good bet Sony had expected to sell a lot more than this, and cut their order to match when they saw it wasn't going to move. It's in stock everywhere (in Canada is was in retail stores, and still didn't sell out, despite a higher average income than the U.S).

Yes there was a smaller user base, but it's still 35 Million or so. (52 Million at end of 2016 for PS4) But it's been 7 years since PSVR, and the VR market has grown by about 5X. Yet sales of the PSVR2 being sold at the same rate as PSVR1 is a win?

curb your enthusiasm GIF by HBO
Season 11 Hbo GIF by Curb Your Enthusiasm

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Only 8% more than PSVR in the same time frame? Is that supposed to be impressive?
So selling more than the predecessor .....while being as or more expensive overall....is a bad thing?

What exactly would be great for you?

DrFigs

I really didn't see that coming. Especially after Jim Ryan's comment about how "it's too early to tell if it's successful". I mean he's right, but that's something I would have expected to hear if PSVR2 was a total dud.

Last edited:

bitbydeath

Before someone jumps in and says the PSVR1 was cheaper and the PSVR2 was more expensive, that's why it's impressive, adjusted for inflation and the cost of motion controllers, the PSVR1 was actually more expensive by just a bit.
You think if PSVR1 was more expensive it would have increased sales?

Romulus

In an affluent country where PS5's sell like hotcakes and the median income is high, you think it not selling here is a sign of success?
Having a demo kiosk wouldn't affect sales a whole lot.

As to units sold, I was talking about PS5 units, and potential buyers being smaller, but that's massively outweighed by the fact that there should be more people interested in VR at this point, 7 years later, and a vastly superior experience.

So your saying it's your position that VR isn't a larger market overall than in 2016? If that's true than "regular" VR is indeed doomed to be small market a long, long time.

Anecdotal evidence.

First, how do you know it's not selling in Canada? Because you saw it on store shelves? I saw several PS5's a few weeks ago here in the US, must mean they're not selling in the US.

I never said kiosks would affect sales. I was making a point that retail can make a difference. And you have no idea what kiosks can do considering VR is an experience that you have to try to understand, so at best, that's a stretch.

Also, the PSVR1 experience was mostly negative. It was a mess of wires and crappy tracking, the fact that return customers are even a factor is pretty incredible to outsell the original on top of everything else I mentioned. If return customers aren't a factor, that's even more impressive.

I don't know how I can make the distinction any clearer about the VR market. It's not the same. Just because Quest 2 flies off shelves doesn't mean Index, HTC Vive, or PSVR2 will. Quest 2 is more than 80% of the reason for this success you speak of. Wii selling alot doesn't mean Xbox 360 will, or PS3 for that matter.

Do you have data on people that bought the ds4 PSVR1 vs the ones with Move controllers? Because there were alot of ds4 games. And after people used the Moves they probably didn't want them anyway. Still, I would argue inflation is not taking into consideration the average consumer. It just simply comes off as more expensive.

Crayon

Is this like double the index lifetime sales? I googled and I'm only getting old reports.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
At $150 more per unit. (37.5% increase)
Adjusted for inflation PSVR2 actually only ~$50 more than the base PSVR1. If you bought the PSVR1 bundle with the camera and move controllers PSVR1 was actually more expensive than PSVR2 by about ~$75 or so in 2023 money.

I was expecting 1M in sales but still 600k isn't bad given that it received zero marketing budget and zero retail presence in a non-holiday month.

Tomorrow should be interesting to see just how much support we are going to get from Sony on PSVR2; if we see some big PSVR2 versions of PS5 games and big third party stuff like Half Life Alyx along with something magnificent like Astros playroom I'll be more than happy and think it will actually do quite well going into the holiday season and once they eventually drop the price.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
You think if PSVR1 was more expensive it would have increased sales?

No, my point was they were a similar price point vs some people had said psvr2 was more expensive and wouldn't sell as a result. (And thus "backing up" thier point that this amount of sales is a greater success somehow)

yurinka

yup it looks like PSVR2 is going to fall behind PSVR pretty soon. Hard to see this as a win when you look at the trajectory.
No, PSVR1 had that trajectory because got released in early october, so the end of the graph was its peak of its first holidays. PSVR2 is comparatively selling way better by achieving better numbers in Spring.

No, my point was they were a similar price point vs some people had said psvr2 was more expensive and wouldn't sell as a result. (And thus "backing up" thier point that this amount of sales is a greater success somehow)
You needed PSVR1+camera+Move, which was more expensive then than PSVR2 now (there's inflation too).

The PSVR2 kit is cheaper now than was the PSVR1 kit was then.

Adjusted for inflation PSVR2 actually only ~$50 more than the base PSVR1. If you bought the PSVR1 bundle with the camera and move controllers PSVR1 was actually more expensive than PSVR2 by about ~$75 or so in 2023 money.
The bundle wasn't available at launch btw

I really didn't see that coming. Especially after Jim Ryan's comment about how "it's too early to tell if it's successful". I mean he's right, but that's something I would have expected to hear if PSVR2 was a total dud.
It's performing as Sony estimated, they mentioned before release that they were happy with PSVR1, which sold LTD over 5M copies, and that expected PSVR2 to sell a bit more.

In the launch PSVR2 already sold a bit more than PSVR1. But yes, it has only been in the market during a few months, and will be sold during years so still it's too early to make any analysis.

Last edited:

Reallink

Is this like double the index lifetime sales? I googled and I'm only getting old reports.

It's possible, I mean it is $1000 US Dollars and they only released 1 game for it, but no it's probably higher than 300K. Index represents over 17% of total Steam VR headsets in active use, while Quest 2 is ~45%. We know Quest 2 has sold over 20 million units, so even given that Index is likely HUGELY over represented on Steam, and probably only a tiny fraction of Quest 2 users play anything on Steam, you'd have to make some REALLY radical assumptions to arrive at an Index lifetime of 300k. I would guess it's somewhere between 1-2 million.

Last edited:

bitbydeath

Had PSVR1 released when PSVR2 did you’d have a point. Today’s inflation doesn’t mean yesterday’s price is the same in retrospective.

DryvBy

Out this in perspective: it's just now in stores. This is more important than it seems since the previous way to get one was direct.

Raonak

Banned
Good stuff, and that's with more competition and less consoles.

Can't wait to see what's announced in the showcase :D

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Before someone jumps in and says the PSVR1 was cheaper and the PSVR2 was more expensive, that's why it's impressive, adjusted for inflation and the cost of motion controllers, the PSVR1 was actually more expensive by just a bit.
How many different ways could you get PSVR 1 vs PSVR 2?

If you already had Move controllers, you didn't need that bundle. I didn't, because I already had them. Overall PSVR 2 was more expensive, specifically because you cant get PSVR 2 without the controllers and the camera.

"House's presentation offered a look at the contents of the PlayStation VR box. The package will not include PlayStation Move controllers or the PlayStation Camera."

Originally it didn't include the camera or Move controllers, those bundles came later:

OP, nice mental gymnastics. Sony expected to sell 2 million units. It sold 600k units… doesn’t seem to be very successful…
And who said Sony expected it to sell that...?

Gamerguy84

Yea it came out pretty strong all things considered. PS5 supply was still a bit constrained and it's pretty expensive.

OG PSVR had a different kind of hype. It was new tech and very unknown, and still is for the most part. Gamers have been talking about VR since the 90s and it was finally here, on console anyway.

Most people still don't know. They think they do but when people come over for a birthday party and strap it on for the first time it's mind blowing.

PSVR2 had a couple heavyweights in it's corner at launch. GT7 is amazing and you can argue between Horizon and RE.

Anyway pretty solid start. Can't wait until I'm off work tomorrow and see what else they have in store for it.

It's not selling less, so that's good. Need to see some more vr games. Hopefully the show tomorrow will push me to get one sooner.

K2D

Banned
VR is not an easy, casual sell.. Atleast not after Meta Quest and the pandemic.

It'll need a couple of killer apps - and more as time goes on.

It has got price/value balance, it's got the HW that matches the value, it's got a big (potentially bigger) consumer pool to source adaptors from. All it needs is some all stars, block buster, killer apps. As good as GT7 is, it is not that casual of a sell..

Last edited:
Oh look it didn't fail after all like Bloomberg and some people here wanted to claim. Keep in mind that it wasn't even available at any major retail stores (Gamestop, Best Buy, Amazon, etc) until just a couple weeks ago too. Stop listening to nobodies on the internet tell you that something failed. Was also irritating seeing people say "Well Sony hasn't said nothing so it must have flopped." No Sony just does things on their time not yours. Same kind of people who claimed TLOU2 stopped selling just b/c Sony went a long time after the initial 4 million sales before they gave another update.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
The lines looking like they are going to converge in a couple weeks I'm sure aren't exciting Sony or it's investors too much.

PSVR came out in mid-October of 2016, which means that by week 7 it was one week post-Black Friday and leading into Christmas. Week 7 now is the first week of April. HUGE difference.

If true, it did this WITHOUT retail units in stores and LESS ps5s on the market than ps4s when the psvr1 launched.

VR dead.

And the PSVR2 launch in February. PSVR launched in October, one month before black Friday.

Only 8% more than PSVR in the same time frame? Is that supposed to be impressive?

It's GREAT!!!!

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
where did they state they expected 2 million units that came from the same guy that said they sold 270k and he was way off

And consider it did 400,000+ in the first week. But that idiot at Bloomberg said it did 270k in 5 weeks. Just....how....wrong could he be?

mrmustard

Banned
Assuming Sony sold 120 million PS4 and we had an adoption rate of 5% for PSVR1 and they will also sell 120 million PS5 we get an adoption rate of 5,4% for PSVR2,

If PSVR1 was a huge success for Sony PSVR2 also is. If not, not so much.

Last edited:

N1tr0sOx1d3

Given another chance

When you consider the huge mark up over PSVR1, not in retail stores, deep in the cost of living crisis?
I’d say yeah! It’s damn impressive!

Last edited:
Top Bottom