• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So is SPLATOON really going to lock 45 single-player missions behind amiibo?

Isn't that kind of like piracy though?

I´m allergic to 95% of DLC. Mario Kart was fine, this stuff is a rip-off. As far as i am concerned i already paid for this when i bought the game. All the code is already there. Sure, you could argue that i just paid for the license of the main game, not necessarily for every Bit on that disc.. which would be nonsense for me.

Smash Bros: People complain that the Amiibo don't do anything.

Splatoon: People complain that the Amiibo are required for too much.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Inherently there's nothing wrong with amiibos but this particular game shits all over that notion. The content should be able to be bought digitally. Edit: OR come with the game as the content was already there.

Amiibos are fine, locked on disc dlc is not.

We really need an online database with nfc-presets so you can just buy yourself a blank nfc chip and rewrite it with whatever you need.

It´s not ok, keep that fanboy nonsense out of it.
That would be piracy which shouldn't be justified no matter how shitty a company is being.

Vena

It sucks a lot. What if someone gets the game one year later? The amiibos will be unobtainable. The squid amiibo is available only in a limited edition of the game in Europe. They should make the stuff behind the amiibos available as paid DLC.

This is true of DLC and expansions as well, if you buy later you risk being unable to access said content.

wrowa

The challenge missions aren't great, but they are better than nothing. Which is exactly the problem when talking about a game like Splatoon that is just not offering quite enough content out of the gate.

And then there's the general principle that Amiibos should at least be easily obtainable if you decide to lock ANY content behind them. As it is right now, it's often just a cocktease: You COULD get this extra stuff IF we produced enough Amiibos to satisfy demand, which of course we DON'T.

DieH@rd

Banned
Interesting new kind of DLC. At least you get a toy.

Actually you don't if you are not willing to pay a hefty premium or are willing to push through convoluted processes of getting Amibos before scalpers get them.

Normal DLC is something everyone can get whenever they want them. Amiibos are premium digital content delivery mechanisms that are delivered through RANSOM.

Chopper

Am I right in thinking that the weapons you unlock with amiibo are just reskins of really low-level weapons that are already in the game?

Qurupeke

This is true of DLC and expansions as well, if you buy later you risk being unable to access said content.

I'm aware of this but this doesn't mean it's a good practice. Not everyone can or wants to buy anything at the first month. Especially on Splatoon's case, you get less than half the game when you buy it. I can see people waiting until the August update before they get the game. By then, I doubt any of the amiibos will be easy to find. They don't have access to the only way to get coins without connecting online, some costumes, mini games and more single player stuff. These may seem not important to some people, I can see why, but they're enough content to spend quite a few time on.

wiibomb

I bought the figurines because I like them a lot, but I don't care at all about the DLC included, in fact all my amiibos are still sealed..

the only thing I really, REALLY hate is to know that cannot get those minigames out of the amiibos, all the otehr things are more of the same content with just a little change..

and nobody in the splatoon thread wanted to answer me if all the minigames are bloqued to amiibo or if I can get different ones with normal gameplay

Vena

I'm aware of this but this doesn't mean it's a good practice. Not everyone can or wants to buy anything at the first month. Especially on Splatoon's case, you get less than half the game when you buy it. I can see people waiting until the August update before they get the game. By then, I doubt any of the amiibos will be easy to find. They don't have access to the only way to get coins without connecting online, some costumes, mini games and more single player stuff. These may seem not important to some people, I can see why, but they're enough content to spend quite a few time on.

Sure, but conversely, I cannot trade a DLC or an expansion as I can and do with these at college, so its really a weird system in its entirety.

Two Words

Let's say you're somebody who doesn't give a shit about collecting figurines. Let's say you just want to buy that extra content that the amiibos unlock. Why shouldn't you be frustrated with all of this amiibo nonsense?

Neff

Actually you don't if you are not willing to pay a hefty premium or are willing to push through convoluted processes of getting Amibos before scalpers get them.

Normal DLC is something everyone can get whenever they want them. Amiibos are premium digital content delivery mechanisms that are delivered through RANSOM.

Not really. To the average Amiibo shopper, the costumes and unlockables are merely a bonus for buying the cool toy.

What they want is the cool toy. And it's a cool toy that keeps on giving.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Most DLC is considered non-essential. OP is stating that folks shouldn't have to put up with Amiibo shipment nonsense just to be able to play this DLC. All that is being said is to also offer the DLC as a download on the eShop as well.

This is the main issue with Amiibos. In order to find a useful sell for them the go to has become unlock more in game stuff, but not only is that a terrible delivery service for DLC, it is also a major problem because most people can't even get a hold of these things unless it is Mario, Link, or the other big names.

They definitely need to work on supply of Amiibo in general, and especially for ones that unlock worthwhile in-game content.

I doubt the Splatoon Amiibo's will end up being rare though. Inkling Boy and Girl have been plentiful. I saw them a few places on launch day in big numbers, they stayed in stock on Amazon for a long time--and currently the Boy is in stock on Amazon.

The three pack was rarer, but not super scarce. I snagged one at a Toy's R Us around 2pm on launch day and left five on the rack still. They've already said they'd be making more Splatoon Amiibos in a statement saying they'd be rushing more copies of the game to shelves in Japan where it sold out. So I think this time it's more of a case of the game just having more initial demand than anticipated that led to having fewer of the Amiibo than ideal day one.

Lunar15

More importantly, is the DLC worth the price of the figurine? What would it be priced at separately from the amiibo?

Lothars

Reverse persecution complex?
Nope the truth and I have a ton of Amiibos but since it's gotten even harder to get the ones I want. I have stopped getting them.

I'd actually say you're right because what Nintendo usually delivers upfront is entirely satisfactory regardless of DLC or paywall content.
I don't think they do especially in the last couple years with how they have handled Amiibos and the new 3ds special editions.

Splatoon may be a good game but I have no interest in that game anymore because of the price in canada and how they are rolling out content for the game. I might get it next year or in a couple years when it's cheaper.

Neiteio

I bought the figurines because I like them a lot, but I don't care at all about the DLC included, in fact all my amiibos are still sealed..

the only thing I really, REALLY hate is to know that cannot get those minigames out of the amiibos, all the otehr things are more of the same content with just a little change..

and nobody in the splatoon thread wanted to answer me if all the minigames are bloqued to amiibo or if I can get different ones with normal gameplay
I answered you. Three of the four arcade games are tied to amiibo. Only way to get them.

Ezalc

More importantly, is the DLC worth the price of the figurine? What would it be priced at separately from the amiibo?

The idea behind this should be that amiibo while costing more are also reusable for multiple games, even if the data may need to be rewritten for some of them, they are also a physical object that can be displayed. I feel like that justifies their price, but the dlc they entail should be sold at a substantially lower amount and individually.

fernoca

I think if anything, we just need to wait.

The "unlockables" are part of the incentive to buy the amiibo.

And one thing some seem to forget is: time. The amiibo in general are barely 6 months old. We are not talking years in the market, just 6 months full of shipment problems, low stock and sellouts.

Any plan they might have to either release ways for others to unlock this extras other than the amiibo would be explained at some point they feel it won't detract from the interest and sales of the amiibo. They already talked about the possibilities of cards.

Splatoon is barely 3 days old, same as the Splatoon amiibo. Announcing any alternate ways to unlock the amiibo content, will detract from the sales of the amiibo. So, maybe in 6 months? A year?

I know this might be difficult but try to imagine a world where there are different people saying those things.

No what is difficult to imagine is a world where people would enjoy what they have instead of complaining all the time till they're dead. But everyone has it's hobbies, for some it's "complaining".

Frankly, it's messed up that they Nintendo don't eventually put these features up as DLC. Even if it is a couple weeks after the game launches. They're losing out on money and screwing their consumers who have no interest in collecting plastic toys and just want all of the features that are in the game they bought.

No.

Because they are rehashes of the single-player missions with forced stipulations (time-limited, only use weapon X, don't get hit, etc) that you can re-enact all you want on your own without the amiibo.

I was going to reply but this is a good answer

if they were completely new stages OP would be right

Neiteio

The point of the thread is, if someone wants the content tied to the amiibo, they should be able to obtain the content without getting the amiibo. To those people, the content is worth it. To me, the content is worth it. So I don't understand why some people attempt to justify this practice by downplaying the value of the content. To the people who want it, it's valuable. Fortunately, I was able to get the amiibo, but I want others who want the content to be able to obtain it, as well.

ElNino

I don't really see the big problem with amiibo. The content it unlocks is considered non-essential. It's not important to the core package of the game. None of it unlocks new levels ( that are not merely challenge missions based on recycled level design) or gameplay modes. Even in Smash Bros, the amiibo don't lock out a new playable character. Sakurai's offering new playable characters as paid DLC without the need to also own the amiibo for it.
I wouldn't have a problem if it was actually possible to buy the amiibos I wanted without paying inflated resellers prices. I'd probably buy the Splatoon 3-pack if it was possible to buy at retail price, but I'm paying the $80+ prices I've seen.

With Captain Toad as well, I'd like to get a Toad amiibo to unlock the extra game mode but I've never once found one available to purchase. I have no problems buying the figures to unlock content as long as the figures are relatively simple to come by. But locking a mode behind a specific amiibo that appears to be very hard to find is incredibly frustrating.

wildfire

Banned
The best thing about these comments is that they are completely oblivious to dozens of posts in every amiibo-related thread ever.

It doesn't even need to be about amiibo's There are some people who live to only troll (and I rarely use this verb) Nintendo customers.

megalowho

Honestly hope they fix the supply chain instead of doing away with initiatives like this altogether. It'd be a neat idea if it wasn't for Nintendo's colossal failure in allowing required Amiibos/DLC keys to be readily available for purchase without resorting to scalpers or crazy collector antics.

If the stages/gear/arcade games were available as a standard DLC purchase I'd at least think about it, as it stands all that content (and Codename S.T.E.A.M.'s Amiibo content as well) is out of sight, out of mind.

what i want to know is why doesnt Nintendo just make it dlc so those that couldnt get the amibos can just buy it
you get money either way

mclem

I´m allergic to 95% of DLC. Mario Kart was fine, this stuff is a rip-off. As far as i am concerned i already paid for this when i bought the game. All the code is already there. Sure, you could argue that i just paid for the license of the main game, not necessarily for every Bit on that disc.. which would be nonsense for me.

I've felt strongly that we need to disassociate owning the medium content is stored on from actually owning the right to consume that content; I've argued that way a few times. It's an old, outmoded viewpoint, and one that simply does not work in the digital era.

RMI

Banned
what i want to know is why doesnt Nintendo just make it dlc so those that couldnt get the amibos can just buy it
you get money either way

People would be miserable about it either way. They would wonder how Nintendo could release paid DLC that was so insubstantial and expect them to pay for it.

It would be nice, though for those who want that and either A) don't want to have amiibos cluttering up their house; or B) can't find the damn things in the store. I expect the pricing of this theoretical DLC would still be a sticking point though. Additionally, if amiibo functionality really was a thing across multiple games i could see the individual purchases of those DLCs adding up to way more than the cost of a single amiibo toy, so then you would have people complaining about that as well.

atr0cious

The point of the thread is, if someone wants the content tied to the amiibo, they should be able to obtain the content without getting the amiibo. To those people, the content is worth it. To me, the content is worth it. So I don't understand why some people attempt to justify this practice by downplaying the value of the content. To the people who want it, it's valuable. Fortunately, I was able to get the amiibo, but I want others who want the content to be able to obtain it, as well.

I agree everyone should be able to access the content and short stocking sucks, but I don't think the way to help this is just adding a buy DLC button. First off, what do you charge for repurposed gear, rehashed missions and 3 minigames you'll almost never touch unless you get an unfortunate server hang up? Then how do you deal with the people who are now pissed they paid $13($35 for the 3 pack) for the amiibos? And if this was known before, how many would actually grab the amiibos comparatively?

This perception of value is really hard to balance, and as you've already pointed out, that it's only attractive to a certain subset of people, and gauging the amount of those people is going to be a bit more difficult than "making more." Especially when this very forum had more views on the negative threads, with people forecasting Splatoon to be dead on arrival.

But we should be vocal about the shortages.

Neiteio

you get money either way
Nintendo sees the amiibo-exclusive content as a selling point for the amiibo, and I'm sure that's true with some people, but I think the reality is people would still buy the figures even without the exclusive content. When I was at the midnight launch for Splatoon, there were 10 people ahead of me, and from talking to them, it appears none of them had a WiiU -- they were just there for the Wave 4 Smash amiibo. So it seems clear to me the amiibo would sell just fine without any in-game functionality.

Here's what I think would be the best solution:

- Buy an amiibo, for the figure, and get the in-game content for FREE
- Don't want an amiibo? Buy the content as DLC at reduced cost

So in this case, if you wanted the girl Inkling amiibo because you're a collector, you could get it and receive the in-game content for free as a bonus. But if you don't like toys and just want the schoolgirl outfit, the arcade game, the weapon skin and the 20 charger challenges, you could download that for, I dunno, $3.99.

maxcriden

In the case of the Splatoon, three of the four arcade games are tied to amiibo. Amiibo is the only way you can get 75% of that content.

The remixed levels are comparable to the bulk of the special world levels in 3D Land and 3D World -- they reuse layouts but the new weapons, Kraken power, time limits and ink limits make them feel new. You win cash for each challenge and also unlock exclusive gear and weapon skins in addition to the three exclusive arcade games.

It's not hard to see how someone might want the above. So to tie them to amiibo that may or may not be hard to find is a bit disappointing. I have all three and think they're all worthwhile, so I hope everyone can find them if they want them.

Do you need to scan them more than once ever? If not, I'll just borrow them from someone hopefully....

Converse

Banned

I agree wholeheartedly. I've been collecting amiibo, and although I'm not a completionist (I just go in for the characters I really like), I've already had my fair share of...adventures. Just barely sniping a Captain Falcon off Toys R Us at some odd hour because I happened to be on GAF when it showed up. Craigslist trading for a coveted Little Mac. Placing my first ever import gaming order to ensure I got a Ness. GAF trading for Mega Man. In other words, a hell of a lot more than just going to the store and buying things. Sometimes fun, in an odd way, sometimes a little frustrating.

That said, I've never been downright pissed at amiibo until Friday morning, when I attempted to get the Splatoon three pack. I've been looking forward to Splatoon since the day it was announced, and now that it's here, I adore the game. I want all of the game's content, and I was willing to pay a ridiculous amount of money for it ($95 for the game and the three pack!).

On launch day, I went to a Target, a GameStop and a Toys R Us, before any of them had opened their doors. Though I had my money (and my preordered copy of Splatoon) in hand, I was unable to get the three pack. In fact, I wasn't even close to being able. Best I could do -- again, after hitting three stores before opening hours -- was an Inkling Boy. Been back to Target and GameStop since, and no sign of even an Inkling Girl. Not having the additional Splatoon arcade games sucks, not to mention the gear. And it does make me feel like I'm missing a part of the game. Worse, I'm not missing it by any choice of my own. In fact, I've made an inordinate amount of effort and spent a stupid amount of time and gas just to miss out on the content.

So, yes, long story short, Nintendo should offer this content as DLC, particularly when the amiibo you need to obtain the content are completely fucking unobtainable.

Why can't they just supply enough amiibo so that it sells out in a week rather than minutes? At this point they know they will sell, why not just make more cash off them? I really wanted to get these but I can't. Thats money they're not going to make.

Nintendo sees the amiibo-exclusive content as a selling point for the amiibo, and I'm sure that's true with some people, but I think the reality is people would still buy the figures even without the exclusive content. When I was at the midnight launch for Splatoon, there were 10 people ahead of me, and from talking to them, it appears none of them had a WiiU -- they were just there for the Wave 4 Smash amiibo. So it seems clear to me the amiibo would sell just fine without any in-game functionality.

Here's what I think would be the best solution:

- Buy an amiibo, for the figure, and get the in-game content for FREE
- Don't want an amiibo? Buy the content as DLC at reduced cost

So in this case, if you wanted the girl Inkling amiibo because you're a collector, you could get it and receive the in-game content for free as a bonus. But if you don't like toys and just want the schoolgirl outfit, the arcade game, the weapon skin and the 20 charger challenges, you could download that for, I dunno, $3.99.
maybe we'll get a solution like this at E3

StormKing

Making amiibo locked content digital likely would be profitable for Nintendo. However, the primary purpose of amiibo is not to make profit. It is to increase shelf space for Nintendo content. After the Wii U disaster, Nintendo's visibility drastically decreased. More stores gradually chose to stock Xbox or Playstation content instead. Awareness of new Nintendo games plummeted as did software sales.

Thus, Nintendo has launched various iniatives to address this. These include Amiibo, Theme park attractions and Mobile games. All have the purpose of introducing Nintendo to new customers in a very competituve market. Now that Nintendo has a hot product in the Amiibo, they can leverage retailers to stock more Nintendo items. This will increase visibility and sales. Also since many Amiibos function with multiple games, it may induce increased software sales.

Neiteio

No.

Because they are rehashes of the single-player missions with forced stipulations (time-limited, only use weapon X, don't get hit, etc) that you can re-enact all you want on your own without the amiibo.
You can't "re-enact them all you want" without the amiibo. You can't access the charger, roller, kraken, etc., without the amiibo.

The amiibo challenges are similar to the special worlds in 3D Land, many of which took the same levels but put a new spin on them (i.e. time limits, Shadow Mario), only in this case you actually have new tools in your tool kit, which changes the experience dramatically.

I can understand the argument for making it DLC at a reduced cost, but the stuff they're packing in with these Amiibo should be included with the game already. It's so painfully obvious they limited the full game so they could fluff up the Amiibo.

How can anyone justify paying for time trials or being able to use another weapon in single player? That should have been in the game as it's not something that had to be removed during development due to time restraints.

Making amiibo locked content digital likely would be profitable for Nintendo. However, the primary purpose of amiibo is not to make profit. It is to increase shelf space for Nintendo content. After the Wii U disaster, Nintendo's visibility drastically decreased. More stores gradually chose to stock Xbox or Playstation content instead. Awareness of new Nintendo games plummeted as did software sales.

Thus, Nintendo has launched various iniatives to address this. These include Amiibo, Theme park attractions and Mobile games. All have the purpose of introducing Nintendo to new customers in a very competituve market. Now that Nintendo has a hot product in the Amiibo, they can leverage retailers to stock more Nintendo items. This will increase visibility and sales. Also since many Amiibos function with multiple games, it may induce increased software sales.

people would still get them even if the dlc was available digitally

Top Bottom