• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Exoprimal |OT| A Crisis of Dinosaurs

Only playing Deadeye variant so far, and about 3 games in and it feels leveling is much slower.
Usually when I win a game, I get about 2 levels of progress. Won all 3 games with the new variant and still only at lvl 3 (a little bit from hitting lvl 4).

Curious if others are noting the same. I haven't unlocked the new variant specific modules, so can't really say if they are better than the OG.

LordOfChaos

Fun enough romp shooting dinos in a mech suit, not a fan of the type of game where you have to play a bunch of MP matches to get any story progress though, and I also would have assumed it was F2P and not a full price game since I'm just playing it off gamepass

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
Only playing Deadeye variant so far, and about 3 games in and it feels leveling is much slower.
Usually when I win a game, I get about 2 levels of progress. Won all 3 games with the new variant and still only at lvl 3 (a little bit from hitting lvl 4).

Curious if others are noting the same. I haven't unlocked the new variant specific modules, so can't really say if they are better than the OG.

I think It depends, for example, my Nimbus and Skywave lvl'ing up felt slower for some reason even pre-update.
Most Nimbus players are trash and I don't particularly like the class myself but idk if it's actually bad.

Btw anyone else think the Alpha variant designs are... Better?

Nimbus is the 2nd best healer after witch doctor, the fact that you can also actually kill enemies is awesome.

Regarding the designs now...I've been saying it all along, the "mechs" don't look like Japanese designs, most of them feel like rejects from Western hero shooters, they're just way too much "quirky" and the meme-like unlockable skins don't help at all.
The only good designs IMO are Dead eye, Krieger and Mura (masa), the rest belong in a shitty Overwatch/Destiny 'Murrican game ffs.

The α variants , with the exception of Dead eye, Krieger and Zephyr look even worse, I'm actually disappointed, I expected WAY better designs from a Capcom game

Last edited:
I think It depends, for example, my Nimbus and Skywave lvl'ing up felt slower for some reason even pre-update.

Nimbus is the 2nd best healer after witch doctor, the fact that you can also actually kill enemies is awesome.

Regarding the designs now...I've been saying it all along, the "mechs" don't look like Japanese designs, most of them feel like rejects from Western hero shooters, they're just way too much "quirky" and the meme-like unlockable skins don't help at all.
The only good designs IMO are Dead eye, Krieger and Mura (masa), the rest belong in a shitty Overwatch/Destiny 'Murrican game ffs.

The α variants , with the exception of Dead eye, Krieger and Zephyr look even worse, I'm actually disappointed, I expected WAY better designs from a Capcom game
For healers, I agree:
Witch Doctor's weakness is the healing is an AOE thing so it needs to be in the thick of the action. Nimbus can sit way back and heal and also use his halo skill to revive or escape without putting itself in danger.
Skywave only big plus is being airborne, but even that can be terrible when you get the flying enemies or sniper dinos. It's healing is also difficult due to the projectile speed being so slow with a small splash heal/damage area. If it was bigger and healed more, I think Skywave would be viable. I do like the magnetic/black hole bubble, but I don't think it does much/any damage.

I do like that each mech is so unique that it is easily readable from a distance. They are pretty generic mech desgin wise.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Witch Doctor A seems like it could be better. Didnt lose their core abilities at all and gained a much better gun. Can do halfway decent damage if hitting a crit spot. Doesnt do much healing at all honestly. But you can actually take out some strategic things in fights now like a stegosaurus or bomb dinos.

The electricity spread is missed a bit I guess.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Do you only need to get the alpha suits to 10? I dont see unique chest rewards past that this time.

Unlocking the suits is a breeze. You get 15k for each one by getting to level 9.

Last edited:
Well a few of these are just awesome. Deadshot's alternate fire modes are a ton of fun. Barrage is somehow even better with a rocket launcher now.
That's good to hear. I wasn't feeling Deadeye, but haven't unlocked anything good with his new modules yet. Looking forward to Barrage as it was probaby my favorite Assault suit

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Not sure if its just my imagination but it felt like some boss fights got a bit of a buff. First Durban fight our group was just getting totally worked. Was a ton of fun. Everyone was really working together and we barely made it.

Got Witchdoctor A to 10.
Unlocked Barrage A, Nimbus A, Skywave A. Calling it a night.

Doing Skywave tomorrow if I have time.

Not sure if its just my imagination but it felt like some boss fights got a bit of a buff. First Durban fight our group was just getting totally worked. Was a ton of fun. Everyone was really working together and we barely made it.

Got Witchdoctor A to 10.
Unlocked Barrage A, Nimbus A, Skywave A. Calling it a night.

Doing Skywave tomorrow if I have time.
Noticed some UI tweaks too

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Had to try Skywave. It has a slight learning curve but even with zero new modules theyre insanely good. Youre just a flying mage bombing shit nonstop. I never even got hit hardly and was just reigning down small circular bolts doing as much damage as a fully charged sniper class shot. Enemy dominators cant even touch you and you can just attack the whole time. Very different since they basically cant be a healer.

Whats neat is you can move the aiming circle far ahead and hit enemies pretty far away too.

Last edited:
Leveling is definitely much slower with the variants. Took forever to get Deadeye to lvl 10 and experiencing the same Murasame.
For the OGs, I could get 2 lvls per win and 1 per loss. With the variants, even with a win, I don't even get 1 lvl....wtf.

Unless with this update, they nerfed all the leveling

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Leveling is definitely much slower with the variants. Took forever to get Deadeye to lvl 10 and experiencing the same Murasame.
For the OGs, I could get 2 lvls per win and 1 per loss. With the variants, even with a win, I don't even get 1 lvl....wtf.

Unless with this update, they nerfed all the leveling
I honestly haven't noticed a difference. I get 1 level per game usually, and 2 on the final mission which I got a few times last night.

I noticed a lot more Krieger MVPs though. Maybe they changed the scoring slightly since it was nothing but Witch Doctor and Barrage usually.

That's strange. idk what's up with my games. One of the matches was against the NeoRex and I didn't even get 1 lvl.
Before, I'd get 2 for that encounter.

Initially, I thought it was because I wasn't doing enough with my Deadeye. The variant seems to be weaker than the OG, but now with the Murasame, I'm getting the same.
I might try to level Witch Doctor variant instead to confirm.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
That's strange. idk what's up with my games. One of the matches was against the NeoRex and I didn't even get 1 lvl.
Before, I'd get 2 for that encounter.

Initially, I thought it was because I wasn't doing enough with my Deadeye. The variant seems to be weaker than the OG, but now with the Murasame, I'm getting the same.
I might try to level Witch Doctor variant instead to confirm.
I haven't played any damage dealer classes yet. Scoring may have been adjusted for all I know.

So far my impressions:
Witch Doctor A: Better than the original. A nice, small improvement.
Skywave A: One of the most fun classes I've played. Won't appeal to everyone because it is slow, but you basically just feel like a god floating above everyone tossing high damage lightning bombs. I would love to play 1 match with 5 Skywaves. Other than snipers I don't think we've even get hit.
Nimbus A: You lose the quick switching mod and the range, so I can see an argument for using the original. However, the shotgun blast actually does extremely good damage. Way better than I was expecting. On large dinos I was seeing like 15 different "30 damage" numbers pop up per shot. That's like more than Deadshot almost.

I just played Roadlock A in training mode briefly and he seems awful. Deadshot A looks fun for sure, but I could see it being less appealing since you have to really adjust your ranges quite a bit more to be optimized.

Deadeye A, you lose the mod that gives you back your grenade launcher and melee back quicker. Both do really good damage.
I probably wasn't playing it right, but I also noticed it's melee with the mod seemed significantly worse than the OG. Don't know if that was nerfed, but I guess I could take it to training mode and compare.

Is anyone else playing on Xbox? Just picked it up on there and wanting to get into it

Any tips?
I play on Xbox. It's crossplay so doesn't really matter what you are playing on.

Biggest tip is to plan to invest in some play before unlocking good modules that can make a difference to your play.

Also, level each suit to 20 before moving on or at minimum to lvl 16.

Don't do what I did, which was to level all the way across each class. Rather go with 1 suit per class before leveling a similar class again. It'll give you more flexibility later. For example, if you already leveled all the Assault and Tank classes and are now trying to level a support, but got a match with 2 other supports on the team, it's going to be a rough match if neither of them switches. If you didn't level all of the Assault or Tanks yet, you could choose one of those to balance out your team.

When in an encounter, pay attention to the objective at the top middle of the screen. That's the dino type or objective you need to accomplish. It's way to easy to focus on the add dinos thinking you are doing something when you're just wasting time. Keep in mind that that matches for the most part is a race against another team to see who can complete them faster.

When an enemy controlled Dino invades your team, everyone needs to focus that bad boy down. It can really wreck your team causing an encounter to reset if everyone dies. It's a good time to use your ultimate, if it is a damage dealing type.

Lastly, check out Hazmy on youtube for some build ideas. He has builds for each class. It'll save you your precious currency from going to waste.

Probably more tips from others, but this was what I could think of so far.

Hope it helps.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Deadshot A is far better in my opinion. Shotgun does good damage with more stopping power in midrange which is where you want to be anyway to use your palm strike periodically. The burst shot at long range does crazy damage on weak points. Snipers and gas dinos just get melted in seconds.

Barrage A I think is worse. Some advantages for long range; feels fine but a bit weaker so far.

Murasame A is devastating in PvP. Freeze anyone that attacks you.

Krieger A feels worse. Not into the shotgun even though it looks cool. Has a very wide but vertically narrow aim reticle. Wish it was more of a big circle.

Last edited:

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
Welp, lvl'ing up Is definitely slower now - maybe it's just for the A variants since they cap at lvl 10, or, Capcom has nerfed the points gained generally speaking.
4000 points after completing a raid and not even 1 suit lvl up, something's not adding up...

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Welp, lvl'ing up Is definitely slower now - maybe it's just for the A variants since they cap at lvl 10, or, Capcom has nerfed the points gained generally speaking.
4000 points after completing a raid and not even 1 suit lvl up, something's not adding up...
DD classes are definitely a little slower leveling up.

Deadshot A is far better in my opinion. Shotgun does good damage with more stopping power in midrange which is where you want to be anyway to use your palm strike periodically. The burst shot at long range does crazy damage on weak points. Snipers and gas dinos just get melted in seconds.

Barrage A I think is worse. Some advantages for long range; feels fine but a bit weaker so far.

Murasame A is devastating in PvP. Freeze anyone that attacks you.

Krieger A feels worse. Not into the shotgun even though it looks cool. Has a very wide but vertically narrow aim reticle. Wish it was more of a big circle.
I prefer getting cooldowns for the grenade launcher and palm strike back quicker with the OG Deadeye.

Murasame A is good too, but I think the OG just gives you the damage with the counter vs with the variant, it gives you the freeze. The freeze can be so good if your teammates follow up with you to do damage. Especially against the big dinos. If they don't, the OG is probably better for me.

Damn, Kreiger was already the worst Tank to me. He really needs a damage boost, but I guess the OGs role was to suppress the dinos and not do damage. So ideally you're spraying the smaller dinos without really focusing on kills. But I thought they would give him something :(

I do like that Roadblock's new shield doesn't tie him you anymore to having to hold it up. He can just place it and then do dps, but again he loses the ability to take it with him...lol I don't know the cooldowns for it yet.

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
I think that for the time being I'm done with the game...
Ultimately, like all squad based games, you're depended on the people you get matched with, meaning, 1 idiot is more than enough to completely destroy your enjoyment.

Had a match with a lvl 17 player that on the last Omega hammer round got the hammer but...kept killing dinos for 5 mins straight no matter the fact that everyone kept spamming the ping function as to make him understand that you must use the hammer on the shiny thing when the bar gets to 100% but nope, we just sat there for 5.mins straight, needless to say, I just quit in frustration, my gaming time is limited as to be wasting it like this.
Again, this was a lvl 15 guy, not lvl 1, how the fuck...

...that, and the fact that - like all GaaS games - the game has become an infinite grind, remind me again, WHY the heck do I need.to unlock the new suits and then lvl them up ? Cause of the FOMO ? 'cause of the game induced OCD that these games are notorious for ?

Armored Core 6 can't come soon enough , I'll get a much needed break since I've been playing this for 1 month non-stop 😁

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I think that for the time being I'm done with the game...
Ultimately, like all squad based games, you're depended on the people you get matched with, meaning, 1 idiot is more than enough to completely destroy your enjoyment.

Had a match with a lvl 17 player that on the last Omega hammer round got the hammer but...kept killing dinos for 5 mins straight no matter the fact that everyone kept spamming the ping function as to make him understand that you must use the hammer on the shiny thing when the bar gets to 100% but nope, we just sat there for 5.mins straight, needless to say, I just quit in frustration, my gaming time is limited as to be wasting it like this.
Again, this was a lvl 15 guy, not lvl 1, how the fuck...

...that, and the fact that - like all GaaS games - the game has become an infinite grind, remind me again, WHY the heck do I need.to unlock the new suits and then lvl them up ? Cause of the FOMO ? 'cause of the game induced OCD that these games are notorious for ?

Armored Core 6 can't come soon enough , I'll get a much needed break since I've been playing this for 1 month non-stop 😁
Im also starting to feel the grind. Will take a long break when Starfield hits. Still want to get 100k and the rest of the updates but the game needs more variety to keep going full time after 100 hrs. There's room for improvement if they ever did an expansion or sequel. Still one of my favorites of the year.

I'll get all the variants to 10 before taking a break. Good thing is once you're done with that, it's not a continual grind for power unless you want currency for future mods.
Not surpirsed that they're higher level players that are still clueless like killing adds instead of the objective dinos.

Changing my mind slightly on some of these variants. They can be better than the OG, but you need to change the style of play with them. Thinking of Kregier here. Charging the shotty actually does quite a bit of damage. Also, Zephyr now being a midrange seems to be good at keeping him safe as he seemed to be the most vulnerable of the assaults.

Edit: With the hammer...I think some people don't realize how to use it. Even though it tells you to hold X at the point you are supposed to use it. They just spam the regular attacks thinking that's how it's supposed to be used. It happened to me for a sec...lol I was like why isn't this damn thing working?

Last edited:
Skywave variant is even a worse healer now. They took away her healing primary fire so only way to heal is with her skill that has a fairly long cooldown. And is really bad if you can't get your teammates to line up nicely in front of you :(

She does better damage for sure, but she would be bad as a primary support and I would only pair her with at least 1 other healer.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Skywave variant is even a worse healer now. They took away her healing primary fire so only way to heal is with her skill that has a fairly long cooldown. And is really bad if you can't get your teammates to line up nicely in front of you :(

She does better damage for sure, but she would be bad as a primary support and I would only pair her with at least 1 other healer.
Yeah theyre not a healer at all in Alpha. I did play 1 sick match with me and one other Skywave alpha. Together we managed and were killing everything very fast, but its a risky set up.

Yeah theyre not a healer at all in Alpha. I did play 1 sick match with me and one other Skywave alpha. Together we managed and were killing everything very fast, but its a risky set up.
Looking at the modules, it looks like it could be really good against small dinos.

Edit: 1 thing that could've made the suit much better is to allow the healing wave to be circular wave that goes really far out instead of a wave that only travels in front of you with a fairly short distance. At least that way, you can heal the whole team even with that really long cooldown.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Looking at the modules, it looks like it could be really good against small dinos.

Edit: 1 thing that could've made the suit much better is to allow the healing wave to be circular wave that goes really far out instead of a wave that only travels in front of you with a fairly short distance. At least that way, you can heal the whole team even with that really long cooldown.
Its a weird class, no doubt. But it does insane damage. More than full charge sniper shots. And I think you can bypass some defense on armored dinos as well. Very weak against flying enemies though.

I had one match where I had the floating platform item and flew as far as I could twice and was able to just camp out up there on an omega hammer end game section and nuke players from way up there. Just was hilarious.

But I agree that its a strange call to not augment their healing at all.

Top Bottom