• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Exoprimal |OT| A Crisis of Dinosaurs

EXOPRIMAL
NEOGAF |OT|

exoprimal-dinosaur-forecast.gif

What is Exoprimal? Click here to see what the gameplay loop is.

(The following is information from the Exoprimal Website)

giphy.gif

Meet your main characters

Magnum
giphy.gif

A madcap Exosuit pilot that is constantly leaping before he looks. He uses his vast combat knowledge to help guide Ace through Leviathan's waregames.
His suit has the traditional Capcom logo color scheme.

Ace(Player Character)
giphy.gif

A full-fledged member of the Hammerheads, Ace joined Lorenzo and Alders on missions for the past two years. Ace rose to become an exofighter six months prior to the events of the game's main story events. Ace's appearance is customizable and players will guide Ace throughout the story of Exoprimal.

Lorenzo
giphy.gif

A cool-headed veteran and leader trusted by the entire crew, Lorenzo is the type to remain calm even in the hottest of situations.

Majesty
source.gif

Gunning to be Aibius' top Exofighter, Majesty has burned through six teams in over two years and is the newest member of the Hammerheads. Sharp, straightforward, and a realist, she is rarely the type to joke around with her squad mates. Majesty is a nickname given to her by the crew, as her real name is Viktoria, not Regina.

Alders and Sandy

source.gif

Alders Occupation: Engineer of the Hammerheads

Alders' Exofighter career came to an abrupt end when an incident cost him his right arm, which he then replaced with a prosthetic. This is why Alders hides his pessimistic nihilism behind a smile and frequent jokes. He gets along with the android Sandy and treats her with the same sentiment someone might share with a human being.

Sandy Occupation: Support Android

Sandy is one of a highly advanced mass-produced AI model android equipped with various functions to assist Hammerheads' squad activities. She is capable of handling everything from combat support to personal counseling. Repeated missions with the Hammerheads squad has fostered a unique personality within Sandy, and she considers herself a member of the team.

Leviathan
giphy.gif

Developed by Aibius Corp., Leviathan is a new generation AI that guides players throughout Exoprimal via voice navigation and augmented reality displays. Leviathan appears before players as a massive, human-like figure or as a surveillance drone called a Watcher. He has trapped Ace within the Dino Survival Wargames and his full intent is unknown.

The Story
maxresdefault.jpg

The year is 2043.

Three years have passed since the vortexes—rifts in spacetime—unleashed the dinosaur outbreak across the world.

Ace, an Exofighter with the Hammerheads squad, crash-lands on Bikitoa Island due to a vortex that appeared during a routine patrol mission. There they encounter Leviathan, a new generation of AI that forces the rookie into a series of wargames. A chance meeting with the enigmatic Exosuit Pilot Magnum teaches the Hammerheads that Leviathan's wargames transport the team back in time...to the exact same date three years ago. Why are the wargames always held on this day in the past? Why does Leviathan summon dinosaurs as it's test? Is there a way to win the wargames for good? With countless questions looming over them, the confused team does their best to survive and catches sight of an even more astonishing individual.

STORY PROGRESSION/DINO SURVIVAL

giphy.gif

In Exoprimal, the story unfolds as you play through the game's main mode of play, Dino Survival. In Dino Survival, two squads of five race to complete objectives. Teams must follow Leviathan's directives and complete the mission before their rivals to win. This is the first portion of the experience. The second portion will depend on which mode/queue you're choosing to play(PvP, PvE, or Hybrid).

Some situations pit players against one another in direct combat(PvP focused), some will require you to survive an even deadlier race(PvE focused), and other games will require players to band together in a 10 man co-op finale with their rival team in order to take down a major foe in a raid boss fight.

-In PvP games, there can only be one winning team.

-In PvE games, both teams can win the match IF the losing team is able to still complete all objectives within the given time frame, after the first team secures a win.

-In PvE games where it ends in a raid, both teams will earn winning XP as long as they are able to defeat the raid boss together.

giphy.gif

You can freely change Exosuit classes at any time within a match, but be careful of your surroundings when you make the switch!

In Dino Survival, the missions change and more options appear based on players' progression through the game. The experience will be different with each match, even in matches with familiar surroundings and objectives. After the tutorial mission, you can choose whether or not to join PvP queue, PvE queue, or Hybrid. After playing enough missions, you will also receive the choice of which Final Mission you prefer in queue. Players can unlock story sequences by playing Dino Survival and also earn rewards such as experience points and coins. Experience points increase player level and Exosuit levels. Coins will help players obtain upgrades to their Exosuits, including the ability to equip up to 3 modules that will boost certain abilities along with unlocking a secondary utility skill called a Rig. Coins can also be used for cosmetic purposes as well.

giphy.gif

Dino Survival will unlock new maps, features, modes, enemies, and experiences the more you play. Gather intel known as "Lost Data" in these matches to update the Analysis Map in the database, and slowly unravel the mysteries of the island. In order to progress the story, you must select the data in the analysis map to view codec messages and newly revealed lore amongst the crew. Revealing every secret surrounding this tale and bringing Leviathan's story to a close is one of the main objectives of the game.

THE EXOSUITS
giphy-downsized-large.gif

Exosuits are cutting-edge powered suits developed to combat the dinosaur threat. Based on their range of abilities, Exosuits are primarily categorized into one of three roles:
Assault, Tank, and Support.

Exofighters can change Exosuits at any time, even during battle, by performing a suit change. Take advantage of this flexibility to alter your team composition on the fly and complete your objectives.

giphy.gif
giphy.gif
200.gif
giphy.gif

Assault Exosuits focus on dealing damage to enemies with close, medium, or long-range attacks. Although exact loadouts differ, each assault is equipped with weapons and abilities tailored to its effective combat range. Use the best weapon for the situation and eradicate whatever stands in your way.

giphy.gif
giphy.gif
giphy.gif

Tank Exosuits specialize in protecting their allies by drawing enemy attacks and absorbing damage. Whether they're holding back a massive horde or stopping relentless dinosaur attacks, tanks will form your team's first line of defense.

giphy.gif
giphy.gif
giphy.gif

Support Exosuits use a variety of abilities to ensure the team's survival. While the ability to repair allies is most common, support suits are also equipped with a range of buffing and debuffing abilities. Supports use these abilities to improve a team's combat effectiveness and accomplish objectives even faster.

In order to get the best score and the most xp, it is recommended to play each class to the best of their own strengths. Trying to use a support as an assault or an assault as a tank will not only put you and your team more at risk, you will also end up with a slightly lower score and xp due to not helping your team in the most effective manner, especially at pivotal moments when they needed you to be effective at your role.

CONTENT ROADMAP(SO FAR)
giphy.gif

2y4dhyveh5cb1.jpg

Savage Gauntlet(Now Live!)

giphy.gif

A Dynamic New Game Mode for Veteran Exofighters! Take on special time trial 5-person missions, competing against Exofighters across the globe for the fastest clear time! With different rules every week, this mode offers a different type of challenge from Dino Survival. As end-game content, the difficulty of Savage Gauntlet missions is of extreme difficulty. Repeated playthroughs can help you discover the optimal tactics for each mission. The better you play, the higher you can climb the ranks!

Last edited:
Not really interested in the game, but that's a great OT! Great job, OP! :messenger_clapping:
giphy.gif

Thank you. Now that I know the amount of work that goes into this, my utmost respect goes out to those who've made the more special |OT| threads out there.

...and I probably won't do this again for a long time, unless it's another underdog current gen game I happen to really enjoy :messenger_tears_of_joy:

VN1X

Banned
Shame this game isn't f2p as I enjoyed the closed tests. Game will die a swift death at its current price point though.

I like it. Just, idk. Like I feel like I’m doing the same damn mode over and over. But I seen where there different fights and some story mode only I guess. I just don’t know how many match’s I need to get them or unlock them. Idk. It’s fun, I just don’t know if it that fun to play that same mode over and over to get these random battles just for once or something. I’m really confused how this game play and works

DeVeAn

Game was better than I expected it to be. This game is designed as F2P yet it’s full price big negative.

Also not thrilled they game tells you your data is being sold after you’ve signed up.

I might play a little more as I hear more stuff opens up.

EekTheKat

This feels like it's this generation's Lost Planet 2 - which I sort of actually liked back in the day despite some issues with performance. Lots of people hated that game but I sort of dug it for the coop aspects back in the day.

Game pacing is pretty fast - the competitive nature of it keeps you moving from objective to objective as fast as possible. Once you pick up on how some of the suits are supposed to work the game feels pretty good.

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
Listen, we can talk shit about this game all we want and yes, Capcom is being tone-deaf (Full MSRP, MTX, season pass etc) but, the game isn't bad, in fact , what gets on my tits is that - once more - you realize that if a product doesn't get a budget for advertisement/doesn't get advertised/doesn't get "hype" from all the usual social media shills and "influencers" then...said product is almost being sent to die.

Some games get a following (and therefore sales) by word of mouth but unfortunately, some don't , that doesn't mean though that said games are inherently bad.
Exoprimal isn't Redfall, it's colorful , technically proficient , it looks good, it runs at a rocksteady 60fps even with a gazillion enemies on screen and it also has high production values when it comes to the story/presentation via its well mo-capped and directed cutscenes - a stark contrast to shitty Redfall with its static... everything, from character animations , to non existent story/presentation bits (i.e : static images), to brain dead A.I etc etc, even Aliens: Fireteam which was "OK" was devoid of any real character due to the whole "no cutscenes, we're dumping you from menu to menu" nature - and that was also a 40 bucks game on day1 for the normal edition.
This one feels like a long lost Dreamcast title, it feels...very arcade-y with its non stop action.

What I don't get though is how absolutely ugly and kitsch titles both from a story point of view and a an artistic-direction one like Outriders manage to be liked by the masses while games like Exoprimal don't - I guess people like watching numbers popping up up when shooting enemies with its Destiny-like gameplay.

Again, Capcom fucked up with the pricing here, I think that if this was priced better it would have stood a better chance, that, and also spending some actual money on advertising it.

Anyway, it's a shame that while this has cross play, it doesn't also have cross-party feature, I'm on PS5, if anyone's willing to shoot shit up send me a PM 😉

Last edited:

Draugoth

Gold Member
Capcom keeps trying to make these shitty GaaS games, just give up man.

This was clearly released on the Game Pass to try cover theloss over this game's release.

Capcom should have just releaded a Dino Crysis Remake instead (which they probably will after this mess)

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
Game was better than I expected it to be. This game is designed as F2P yet it’s full price big negative.

Also not thrilled they game tells you your data is being sold after you’ve signed up.

I might play a little more as I hear more stuff opens up.
Game pass, babyyyyyy

I like it. Just, idk. Like I feel like I’m doing the same damn mode over and over. But I seen where there different fights and some story mode only I guess. I just don’t know how many match’s I need to get them or unlock them. Idk. It’s fun, I just don’t know if it that fun to play that same mode over and over to get these random battles just for once or something. I’m really confused how this game play and works
Capcom is a great developer but holy shit they are really bad at making online games, exoprimal gets incredibly boring after 2 hours, barebones af especially for a £50 price point

Fans of the game consider what the dev team did not the best decision, but basically to explain: The more your player level goes up, the more you'll see and experience. This includes story, areas, modes, raids, etc. Around player level 10-12 is when you'll start to see things open up a bit more. Part of it is because they want players to get used to each Exosuit to a good enough degree and also select and level up the modules you can equip with which one. Modules are like perks. Each module has 5 levels that can be leveled up with coins you receive after each mission.

For example, My Roadblock(tank character with shield) currently has a Tower Shield module, Stun Blast, and Skid Dodge+. Tower Shield max increases your shield durability by 1000. Stun Blast increases your percentage to stun with a Shield Bash, and Skid Dodge+ adds knockback to your dodge skill along with an increase in defense.

I think they wanted people to go into some of the later modes(like raids) with at least 2 or 3 modules(perks) equipped so that you're not instantly wiped.

Bridges

I've said it already in all the other threads, but the game is great. It takes a shockingly long amount of time for them to start feeding you the new scenarios, but once they do, it is awesome.

There is a somewhat exciting element of never knowing what you're gonna get when you start a match, but I assume a lot of people played 20 matches or less, got the same mode every time and thought there was nothing more to the game and dropped it.

Maybe they should've added a message again the beginning that clearly states "The further you progress, the more mission types will appear" because I will admit I was very confused myself at first.

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
The story is pretty great so far lol. I just got "exosuit data test" audio log. Like a darker Robocop almost. Definitely pushing for evil satire.

You're not wrong brother, the story is actually... interesting?
That's the last thing I expected from the game, I mean, it can get pretty dark on some parts...

"Evil satire" sounds about right - it's not Starship troopers stuff but more "dark Robocop" like you said.

Anyway, already have 6 hours of playtime since yesterday evening, shit's addicting, although, I can't quite grasp what I should be doing - shall I be lvl'ing up 1 exosuit at a time or try and mix things up ?

PS : most players have the Capcom logo as their platform - those are PC players, am I right ? Still Haven't seen an Xbox one logo

Last edited:
Capcom keeps trying to make these shitty GaaS games, just give up man.
89845cdf-86d5-4a10-80f0-8708910d01df_text.gif

I want to make some clarifications on what exactly this Capcom GaaS currently is, and why Capcom is incidentally making this a good GaaS experience.

-The battle pass only gives you Exosuit skins, weapon skins, emotes, and icons. Each Exosuit has 10 unlockable skins. There are 8 Exosuit skins that are purchasable with coins or unlockable through loot boxes. Only 2 skins for each character are behind the battle pass. For weapon skins, only 1 skin for each character is behind the battle pass.

-After each mission, you will receive up to 3-4 items, sometimes 5. This includes banners, weapon skins, emblems, award icons, decals, and coins. These are just given to you and are separate from loot boxes.

-Coins are used as a currency to not only purchase and level up modules, but they can be used to purchase character skins as well.

-Character skins range between 5000 and 15000 coins to purchase.

-The dev team is very, very generous with the amount of coins you receive. There have been multiple instances where I would receive 1000 after a successful match, and an additional 1000 based on reaching a new player level, in addition to the few hundred based on my mission performance and more in a potential loot box opening.

-The dev team is also being very generous with their loot box RNG. There were multiple instances where I would receive two rare skins, a module or two, or quite a bit of money amongst other things. This is an example as to the type of RNG the loot boxes have:

kvfgibqvw7cb1.jpg

HL0db3J.jpg

Again, this combined with that presentation they did recently and the fact that they are taking player feedback very seriously, means that they are attempting to do both: Make a fun experience that doesn't feel like a slog, but also have a little GaaS on the side. Right now, I'd say they're doing a decent job at it. They just need to keep their deadlines when it comes to content and they also need to announce price drop promotions in the future. 59.99 is the main issue that hinders this game. They made the mistake of thinking they had a 2016 Blizzard-level of clout and thought that they could do the same(Overwatch was 59.99 on console). However, they're making sure that the 59.99 doesn't mean that you're having a terrible experience with 0.01% drop rates, like some other GaaS titles out there that are currently doing very well in revenue.

Again, I will make clarifications and clear up any misinformation about the game when needed. I agree that it has issues, but if people want to come into this thread to shit on the game, I'd rather they do it with fact-based knowledge than hearsay.

You're not wrong brother, the story is actually... interesting?
That's the last thing I expected from the game, I mean, it can get pretty dark on some parts...

"Evil satire" sounds about right - it's not Starship troopers stuff but more "dark Robocop" like you said.

Anyway, already have 6 hours of playtime since yesterday evening, shit's addicting, although, I can't quite grasp what I should be doing - shall I be lvl'ing up 1 exosuit at a time or try and mix things up ?

PS : most players have the Capcom logo as their platform - those are PC players, am I right ? Still Haven't seen an Xbox one logo
PC Players will usually have the Capcom logo. I'm not sure how they are handling crossplay but I've been seeing a bunch of Xbox logo players on my end mixed in.

I would suggest at least having one main Exosuit and leveling up their modules(perks), so that they're ready for harder challenges. Then if you feel they are sufficiently leveled you can start leveling up other Exosuits.

More will unlock the more you play, but unfortunately it does take some hours to get there.

Bridges

...59.99 is the main issue that hinders this game....
Excellent write-up, I agree with all points. Especially the pricing, this is really the big flaw with the game. As much as I am loving it via Game Pass, I know $60 is too much for what is being offered.

If this game was $20 or F2P I think the narrative would be different. The "Wow, this is a service game that is generous with its drops and not busted at launch?" feeling seems to be totally overshadowed by "They are charging full price for this" and I don't blame people.

$60 games should have more than one mode and not lock content behind battle passes.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Agreed Punished Miku Punished Miku

(not my reddit post, but I wanted to show how insane certain moments can be and how fun it is to tank as Roadblock)

I see the value in getting multiple suits ready now. Im WD main but joined a group that already had one so I hopped on the gunner. Towards the very end we were getting fully swarmed and couldnt handle it so I jumped on Roadblock mid match and started plugging chokepoints. Fun as hell lol.

tryDEATH

Whats up with companies having the balls to require seperate accounts for games that you have to make outside of the console. When the prompt showed up I instantly uninstalled the game, this game did not need that extra hurdle to jump in.

Whats up with companies having the balls to require seperate accounts for games that you have to make outside of the console. When the prompt showed up I instantly uninstalled the game, this game did not need that extra hurdle to jump in.
It’s for crossplay purposes.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Anyone know how the awards work? What does equipping them to the awards plate do? You can make progress without equipping them right? What do you get when they are maxed?

Anyone know how the awards work? What does equipping them to the awards plate do? You can make progress without equipping them right? What do you get when they are maxed?
Still unknown at this time, at least from my pov I haven't found anything yet. I thought they would be viewable on the mission end screen but I didn't see them. I'm hoping once maxed they unlock a skin or secret module or something, since there are some awards that are class-dependent.

LastBattle

Thought I’d give it a quick look Sat on Gamepass and ended up playing most of the weekend 😎. Game is straight crack. Starting to unlock more maps, enemies and interesting scenarios now after a bit of a slow (but fun) start. Have also found my self quite enjoying the story and data logs you unlock as you play.

I usually suck at competitive type games, however have been MVP quite a few matches which is nice!

I also noticed that some exosuits accumulate points slower compared to others, like deadeye, which is my favourite because it looks cool as fuck and I enjoy the gunplay. Maybe I just need to improve my game with Deadeye 🤷🏻‍♂️

Biff

Does anyone know what determines which "build" items I can get in each game? The yellow floating things that either give you a one-way shield, or a placeable turret, or a floating platform.

Is it just random based on whatever map you load into?

P.S. Loving the game. So glad I decided to give it a shot on GP.

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
Does anyone know what determines which "build" items I can get in each game? The yellow floating things that either give you a one-way shield, or a placeable turret, or a floating platform.

Is it just random based on whatever map you load into?

P.S. Loving the game. So glad I decided to give it a shot on GP.
it's random 😉

EekTheKat

After spending more time than I should with this - I think it's actually hitting my Mass Effect 3 Multiplayer itch. And yeah I was addicted to that game like crazy, though never went in deep with the loot boxes on that one.

That also points out the one issue I've had so far - punching dinos in the face is fun, but punching dinos in the face while standing by the objective is even better. The melee centric suits have a tendency to drift away from certain objectives in certain matches.

The casual nature of it is kind of nice - It's not something ridiculous like Warframe's 700+ weapons, gear, and frames. Lower level players can do quite well in game just from knowing the basics of learning to play the objectives.

As I’ve suspected, T-Rex + any other big dinosaur has become a filter for many players. I’ve seen teams wipe and games swing entirely towards the opposing team’s favor, just because people don’t know how to handle that combo.

Also hopefully over time more and more people learn not to fight the Dinos next to the cliff’s edge on the Canyon map. It is funny to see so many people booped off of the map though. It reminds me of the early Overwatch days when people didn’t look around for a Lucio when crossing a bridge.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Also hopefully over time more and more people learn not to fight the Dinos next to the cliff’s edge on the Canyon map. It is funny to see so many people booped off of the map though. It reminds me of the early Overwatch days when people didn’t look around for a Lucio when crossing a bridge.
T-Rex sent me flying for sure lol. Hard to learn when I only got that map 1 time.

Last edited:
T-Rex sent me flying for sure lol. Hard to learn when I only got that map 1 time.
For me it was the Triceratops lol. Me and the other tank were both holding back the big dinos in two different directions, and before I realized he was booped, I ended up being booped by the triceratops that got him. My team wiped shortly afterwards and that mistake cost us the match by 30 seconds(it was PvE).

Draugoth

Gold Member
89845cdf-86d5-4a10-80f0-8708910d01df_text.gif

I want to make some clarifications on what exactly this Capcom GaaS currently is, and why Capcom is incidentally making this a good GaaS experience.

-The battle pass only gives you Exosuit skins, weapon skins, emotes, and icons. Each Exosuit has 10 unlockable skins. There are 8 Exosuit skins that are purchasable with coins or unlockable through loot boxes. Only 2 skins for each character are behind the battle pass. For weapon skins, only 1 skin for each character is behind the battle pass.

-After each mission, you will receive up to 3-4 items, sometimes 5. This includes banners, weapon skins, emblems, award icons, decals, and coins. These are just given to you and are separate from loot boxes.

-Coins are used as a currency to not only purchase and level up modules, but they can be used to purchase character skins as well.

-Character skins range between 5000 and 15000 coins to purchase.

-The dev team is very, very generous with the amount of coins you receive. There have been multiple instances where I would receive 1000 after a successful match, and an additional 1000 based on reaching a new player level, in addition to the few hundred based on my mission performance and more in a potential loot box opening.

-The dev team is also being very generous with their loot box RNG. There were multiple instances where I would receive two rare skins, a module or two, or quite a bit of money amongst other things. This is an example as to the type of RNG the loot boxes have:

kvfgibqvw7cb1.jpg

HL0db3J.jpg

Again, this combined with that presentation they did recently and the fact that they are taking player feedback very seriously, means that they are attempting to do both: Make a fun experience that doesn't feel like a slog, but also have a little GaaS on the side. Right now, I'd say they're doing a decent job at it. They just need to keep their deadlines when it comes to content and they also need to announce price drop promotions in the future. 59.99 is the main issue that hinders this game. They made the mistake of thinking they had a 2016 Blizzard-level of clout and thought that they could do the same(Overwatch was 59.99 on console). However, they're making sure that the 59.99 doesn't mean that you're having a terrible experience with 0.01% drop rates, like some other GaaS titles out there that are currently doing very well in revenue.

Again, I will make clarifications and clear up any misinformation about the game when needed. I agree that it has issues, but if people want to come into this thread to shit on the game, I'd rather they do it with fact-based knowledge than hearsay.

It's sad that such a good system wil die alongside the game.

Overwatch 1 was like this until they killed it.

It's sad that such a good system wil die alongside the game.

Overwatch 1 was like this until they killed it.
I think if it ends up being close to death, they can at least patch in a peer 2 peer, LAN, and/or offline version of the game. The game already has bots to fill in a slot in case of any people having internet issues, and the bots are already good at what they do.

I think this game will go down in history as a mixture of them making a poor decision with the price and it also being somewhat misunderstood, as people immediately assumed the worse when they brought up the battle pass.

LastBattle

Something I’ve been curious about. I know in the menu it states the more survival you play the more you progress the story. However does anyone know if filling the story “wheel” thingy progresses the campaign and types
Of matches/scenarios available? I feel like as I read/watch more of the data files I’m seeing lots of new campaign scenarios

Top Bottom