• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Exoprimal |OT| A Crisis of Dinosaurs

In typical Capcom style, the boss you fight before the final boss ended up being the harder boss lol. The final boss is still no joke and requires extreme coordination, but the one before felt insane to play against and we actually full team wiped multiple times and lost a few times before finally winning. For the second boss multiple wipes happened but the time limit was the actual issue. We ended with around 13 seconds left.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
95% complete on story. Fought another major 2 team alliance boss that was great. Really fun to be flying super high in the air as a Skywave and nailing the boss with headshots when everyone else is having to take cover below, then you look over and see another Skywave next to you doing the same thing. It's my favorite class, though I think it could be buffed a bit. Witch Doctor is definitely a stronger healer, but Skywave has some interesting crowd control options.

Witch Doctor lvl 24
Skywave lvl 20
Deadeye 9
Roadblock 5
Everyone else between 2-4.

Will probably finish it up tonight then take a break until the 28th.

Game was better than I expected it to be. This game is designed as F2P yet it’s full price big negative.

Also not thrilled they game tells you your data is being sold after you’ve signed up.

I might play a little more as I hear more stuff opens up.
Depending on where you live and the laws about how companies must treat your data you can inform your local agencies to get into contact with Capcom and stop that, but then you need to read their full terms of service and EULA to know how they are treating your data and how they sell that to their business partners. It can be dealt with but it can be a huge headache.

95% complete on story. Fought another major 2 team alliance boss that was great. Really fun to be flying super high in the air as a Skywave and nailing the boss with headshots when everyone else is having to take cover below, then you look over and see another Skywave next to you doing the same thing. It's my favorite class, though I think it could be buffed a bit. Witch Doctor is definitely a stronger healer, but Skywave has some interesting crowd control options.

Witch Doctor lvl 24
Skywave lvl 20
Deadeye 9
Roadblock 5
Everyone else between 2-4.

Will probably finish it up tonight then take a break until the 28th.
Hey, you'll get the last two big fights of the game then it's basically grinding to gear up your suits for the Savage Gauntlet, which requires campaign completion so you can participate. If it needs campaign completion, it probably means this will be a more mechanics-heavy mode that needs some sort of co-operation between teammates or else is GG.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Hey, you'll get the last two big fights of the game then it's basically grinding to gear up your suits for the Savage Gauntlet, which requires campaign completion so you can participate. If it needs campaign completion, it probably means this will be a more mechanics-heavy mode that needs some sort of co-operation between teammates or else is GG.
That sounds great. I think the game has a ton of potential to keep expanding honestly.

I will slow down play a little bit to play other stuff, but will probably try to max out Nimbus and Roadblock. I've just been in so many groups where everyone's a damage dealer but me, so I'd like to have all the support classes and 1 tank ready to go.

By the way, do you actually understand how Roadblock's taunt move works? Because I don't. You punch your fists together and that is provoking people in a circle around you? I don't even understand. It doesn't seem to really do anything.

That sounds great. I think the game has a ton of potential to keep expanding honestly.

I will slow down play a little bit to play other stuff, but will probably try to max out Nimbus and Roadblock. I've just been in so many groups where everyone's a damage dealer but me, so I'd like to have all the support classes and 1 tank ready to go.

By the way, do you actually understand how Roadblock's taunt move works? Because I don't. You punch your fists together and that is provoking people in a circle around you? I don't even understand. It doesn't seem to really do anything.
Roadblock's taunt work by taking aggro from enemies. You can see small blues lines coming out of your fists to indicate which dinosaurs are being taunted, so you have to adjust your camera and "aim" your taunt toward who you want to get their aggro from. It's a little finicky to see it at first but it's the best taunt in the game.

EekTheKat

More random

IIRC,

Tap the button once - don't hit anything else. He'll keep bashing and taunting everything that has a line drawn towards them. It's like a 20 second cooldown so it's somewhat designed to play out for a while to round up the dinos.

The taunt stops if the animation stops basically. One of the talent skills allows you rebuild up your shield while taunting so it's kind of a nice synergy.

Last edited:

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
So is this game playable if it's just going to be you and you aren't going to communicate or get to in depth on the roles etc. I just wanna fuck about shooting dinos but I'm not going to bother if everyone is going to be bitching that I didn't do some certain thing correctly.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
So is this game playable if it's just going to be you and you aren't going to communicate or get to in depth on the roles etc. I just wanna fuck about shooting dinos but I'm not going to bother if everyone is going to be bitching that I didn't do some certain thing correctly.
I don't use a mic and it's been pretty easy to play. You can swap roles in game which is awesome, so generally you want at least 1 healer and 1 tank, but sometimes you can get by on easy stuff without a tank. So that's all decided individually but someone needs to do it or you're not going to do well. Usually it just works itself out.

There's also various objectives for different mission types and you're going to want to know how to play them, but no one bitches.
  • On carry the data box missions the more people that stay in the square, the faster it moves. If you just hover around a few feet from the square that's a bit of a waste. Some people can successfully run ahead to disrupt the enemy team though.
  • Some missions have you kill a certain amount of specific dinos. They're listed at the top. A lot of people miss that and just try to kill all the dinos, but you want the ones listed up top on those specific objectives.
  • There is a "hammer" mission that is kind of complicated as well. Just play and figure it out basically. It's a little more involved.
That's about it. It's pretty chill. Doesn't require a ton of coordination but that might change with the upcoming new mode.

Last edited:
Tempted to play this, recommendations anybody?
Unless you’re really craving a game like this, get it on gamepass or wait a bit for a sale. It is a fun arcade-like game, very much like something you would find set up in an arcade in a big room with 10 units that you’d invite friends to play with. However at the same time it mixes it up enough and has enough enticing leveling systems to keep you wanting to know ‘what’s next’, whether that’s a new mode being introduced, a new boss, a new map, or a new skill being unlocked for an exosuit.

They shower you with coins(to buy skins and skills) by simply playing the game, and loot boxes have RNG that’s simply too generous. Both combined means you won’t have to worry about paying a dime nor feel left behind on anything. I finished the campaign without paying a cent and felt fulfilled with multiple customized exosuits, and the craziest thing is when you reach player level fifty they give you 30000 coins and you get 1k coins and a loot box for every player level after that. Only 2 cosmetics per character are locked behind the battle pass with 8 other ones being earnable through loot boxes or simply using coins.

Half of the story is done through fully animated and voiced cutscenes, and then the other half are done through codec calls with explanatory images. I’ve listed the game modes and maps on page 2 of this thread if you want to know more.

The devs wanted the game to feel fun first and foremost, so they didn’t make it an insane grind to get in and have fun, and they make sure you are constantly earning something as you play. It’s one of the best examples I can point to when people ask ‘how can GAAS be done the right way?’ but many people will never know this because most well known reviewers pre-judged the game as a typical GAAS experience before giving it a fair shake.

Edit: And just to add to what Punished Miku Punished Miku is saying, for my full experience so far game never reached that Overwatch level of toxicity. It’s because the game is way more PvE based and the little amount of PvP you do(if you choose to join that queue) still involves PvE objectives and fighting Dinos on the field. Plus even when losing you still earn things post-match, as long as you are performing well for the class you played and are earning points you will get player xp and exo xp.

You will get that feeling of ‘one more game’ way, way more often than that feeling of ‘my team sucks and I want to block everyone’. That was always one of Overwatch(and especially OW2) failures. It relied way too heavily on everyone performing to their absolute best ability against people performing at their best. It meant no one was allowed to make mistakes or it would drive your own teammates to get angry at you and everyone’s pointing fingers at each other for blame.

Last edited:
Tempted to play this, recommendations anybody?
Game is great but there are a few caveats.

First one, the price point. If you aren't playing this through Game Pass is hard to recommend it for $60. If it was $34.99 or $40, then it'd be a deal.

Second, it starts SLOW. Skill Up just posted a review of Exoprimal made by his editor Austin and he explains in detail how the "evolving" gameplay of Exoprimal works, but it'll take a good 4-5 hours of the basic/boring stuff until you hit the first major shake-up in gameplay the game throws at you because new game modes are tied to story progression.

Third, Capcom ID and low player populations on places like Steam and PS. You have to make a Capcom ID to play the game, which is always a bummer and make it less pick-up-and-play than your average game since people don't want to bother with third-party site/apps so they can just enjoy their new game. Player population must be high for now due to the game being on Game Pass for both Xbox and Windows, but there is no way to tell how long it'll stay in there. Another scary aspect is that All-time Peak Player Count on Steam is only 4k-5k players, which is scaringly low for a game that released a week ago. Capcom is not one to shut down their games early even if they flop, but be wary before jumping into it.

Last edited:

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
I think the game's great, but I still think $60 would be a steep ask. I'd say wait for a sale and get it if you think it looks fun.

Miku, serious question brother (since you seem to enjoy games under the 10/10 GOTY metacritic like I ) :

I know you bought day1 Wanted : Dead, another hated, shat upon game by everyone else, so, I have to ask, if you were to choose between Wanted Dead and Exoprimal by spending 60 Eurodollars, which one would it be ? 😉

Cheerio

Last edited:

STARSBarry

Gold Member
iYiCjLV.png

currently sat as steams 324th most played games, I mean I know gamepass is a big draw but I mean...

those are not great numbers a week after launch.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Miku, serious question brother (since you seem to enjoy games under the 10/10 GOTY metacritic like I ) :

I know you bought day1 Wanted : Dead, another hated, shat upon game by everyone else, so, I have to ask, if you were to choose between Wanted Dead and Exoprimal by spending 60 Eurodollars, which one would it be ? 😉

Cheerio
Wanted: Dead is one of my favorite action games ever. I beat it like 7x in a row lol. The game is short, FYI. So that may translate to some people wanting to wait for a sale.

That said, again it requires some nuance to explain.
  • It's graphically a AA game 100%. Looks like a lost PS3/360 game. The police station is hilariously huge and looks very retro.
  • It has rough edges for sure, where as Exoprimal feels very polished all the time. I encountered a glitch or two, and I think the game crashed once but it wasn't a huge deal for me.
  • Wanted: Dead has uneven difficulty spikes that may potentially completely invalidate the game for people who can't figure out how to get past it. Literally probably half the people that play the game may even throw in the towel on level 1 when the white ninja shows up on normal difficulty. The 2nd boss is also extremely challenging at first, but you can eventually figure out a way to get through it nearly cleanly. The final level is a brutal gauntlet that again may cause people to throw in the towel. You also have to learn how to read situations and decide whether to use guns or melee, because the game doesn't tell you. You're not invincible, take a lot of damage, and enemies fire non-stop. It's a new playstyle that is in between both, and it takes time to learn it a bit.
  • It has a very strange sense of humor that may alienate most people. The main character has an unusual german / dutch (?) thick accent and anyone not used to watching B movies back in the day will probably be immediately repelled from the game. It's all 100% intentional though. Some of the unlocks you get are totally random video files of Stephanie Joosten doing a C-tier cooking show and it's hilarious lol. Like Twin Peaks meets Lethal Weapon 1, but with way less budget.
  • The mini-games are rough lol. I actually collected every single item from the claw machine, and it nearly broke me. It's designed to be the most infuriating claw machine I've ever seen lol. The karaoke is pretty much impossible.
Despite all that, the more I played, the more it clicked. I began to realize how the combat system and the parries work. I began to see how much this is the spiritual successor to Ninja Gaiden 2, in terms of parries, gorey finishing moves, and even level design. I just played it over and over, beat every difficulty level and kept mastering things that seemed impossible the first few times.

That said, I will never recommend this game to anyone simply because it's so divisive and I don't want anyone to waste their money. If you buy it, you have to take that plunge entirely on your own and live with the consequences. I couldn't be happier that I got it though, and I'm waiting for word of this update they're working on. I'd kill for a sequel. The combat has a ton of potential, and I actually grew to even love all the characters. I wouldn't compare Wanted: Dead to Exoprimal, but both games definitely got reviewed excessively harshly. Same shit happened to The Ascent. I literally ignore reviews if I think a game looks good.

P.S. I made a bunch of gifs for the game since no one was playing it and no one else would do it. The game has 50 unique executions, and I LOVE that shit. I remember playing Tenchu back in the day and just wondering why I had to see the same 4 kills. Just put in like 10. For me the game is a 9/10 and one of my top action games ever. For other people it is literally one of the worst games ever made, and one outlet even actually gave it a 0/10.

Last edited:

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
My dudes, did anyone else notice this weird ghosting effect the game has ?
It's literally like the shitty ghosting the LCD TV's of yore had, it's more visible/ pronounced when you look at the road for example.and you spin the camera around your character.

It's only this game that has it, maybe it's some.kind of post process effect ?

Last edited:
My dudes, did anyone else notice this weird ghosting effect the game has ?
It's literally like the shitty ghosting the LCD TV's of yore had, it's more visible/ pronounced when you look at the road for example.and you spin the camera around your character.

It's only this game that has it, maybe it's some.kind of post process effect ?
It's their SSR(Screen space reflection) issue. It's been a problem with RE Engine since RE 2 Remake. Looking at the reflecting floors in the police station lobby or after it rained it had the same issue.

currently sat as steams 324th most played games, I mean I know gamepass is a big draw but I mean...

those are not great numbers a week after launch.
rocky-iv-dolph-lundgren.gif

At least the people still playing it can say that they had fun along the way. I know I am 🤷‍♂️

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
Haven't played a ton but it seems fun. The matchmaking process takes way too long though.
Welcome man 😉
Also : I'm in a lobby in under 10-15 seconds literally, PS5 here...
It's their SSR(Screen space reflection) issue. It's been a problem with RE Engine since RE 2 Remake. Looking at the reflecting floors in the police station lobby or after it rained it had the same issue.

rocky-iv-dolph-lundgren.gif

At least the people still playing it can say that they had fun along the way. I know I am 🤷‍♂️

Thanks man !
I'm not talking about the reflections/puddles though (which I had noticed in RE2Re), I'm talking about literal ghosting around the characters when spinning the camera - is this what you're referring to ?
Cheers

Thanks man !
I'm not talking about the reflections/puddles though (which I had noticed in RE2Re), I'm talking about literal ghosting around the characters when spinning the camera - is this what you're referring to ?
Cheers
My apologies, in that case I actually haven't seen any ghosting issues on my end.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Beat the game; 26 hrs. Perfect summer game man. I loved it.

Final boss is kind of complex on objectives but it is really fun with the larger scale of the arena.

One of my fav multiplayer games for sure. Splatoon, Monster Hunter, Exoprimal. I'd settle on 8/10. There's lots of room for improvement if they get to work on it more somehow, but its a very solid start. Really enjoyed the ridiculous story and cheesy characters too.

Ominous warning about the upcoming Savage Gauntlet. They literally tell you to prepare for it lol.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Beat the game; 26 hrs. Perfect summer game man. I loved it.

Final boss is kind of complex on objectives but it is really fun with the larger scale of the arena.

One of my fav multiplayer games for sure. Splatoon, Monster Hunter, Exoprimal. I'd settle on 8/10. There's lots of room for improvement if they get to work on it more somehow, but its a very solid start. Really enjoyed the ridiculous story and cheesy characters too.

Ominous warning about the upcoming Savage Gauntlet. They literally tell you to prepare for it lol.

You gonna keep playing or are you done?

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
Finished the main story, 28 hours logged.

Man, THAT final mission, what a rush, team was down to 2 respawns with the boss still at 1/3 of HP left, that final phase, with 10 players all spamming the heart and "let's do this" emoji... chef's kiss.jpg, THIS is what co-op/online gaming is all about damn it.

Shame for stubborn fucking Capcom releasing this at 60 Eurodollars, that, and the non existent marketing this game received, it's one of those "you have to play it to get it", no review can make you understand how crazy good.it gets - then again it takes a few good hours for the whole thing to kick into gear and we all know the attention span of most peeps out there.

Worth every cent of the 40 euros I spent - Xbros, you got it for "free" on Gamepass, get a couple of buddies and give this game a try ffs.

Solid 7.5/10 for me

Bridges

This last mission is kicking my ass. Just booting up attempt #4. Gotta agree with Giallo Corsa Giallo Corsa that this is an amazing example of what this type of game could and should be. I hope the Savage Gauntlet missions are like this

Edit: Just finished the campaign. I love this game. It's such a shame it was priced the way it was because it deserves a future and an audience. The game just gets better and better the more time you put into it.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I'm changing my score to 8.5. Played literally all day again. Its getting upgraded .5 from my previous score for 3 reasons.

1) So many of the classes are phenomenal. It takes time to really play a lot of them in depth but all 3 tanks are probably the best 3 tanks I've ever played, and they're all totally different. Murasame is an extremely original build for a tank. Its so satisfying to land that counter hit and hit a wave of 100 dinos. Skywave and Nimbus are among the best healers I've ever played and they couldnt play more differently. Some of the DD feel a little boring but I havent put the time into them.

2) There's more updates coming.

3) The alliance boss fights are really fun. Feels like a Dragon's Dogma fight almost.

8.5 is my max score though.

Feedback survey if anyone is interested.

They directly ask “what I liked” and “what I disliked” regarding the game.

If anyone here is loving the PvE and raids, please be sure to ask for more PvE and raids. They will take this feedback very seriously(just like the last survey) and they will do what they can to make the game a more fun experience for those playing or make even further changes to the experience to make things feel better.

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
For those that finished the story: How good/bad was it?

It's...obviously ridiculous but serious at the same time (?) It includes lots of in-game technical jargon as to explain the whole thing - they mystery is actually kind of nice after a certain point and you'll want to see how it all ends.

Having finished the game's story i'll say that i actually enjoyed it way more than i should have/thought.

Don't get it for the story though - i mean, there absolutely is one and it's also nice to follow but...it's not the game's strong suit, get it for the balls-to-the-wall action ;)

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
It's...obviously ridiculous but serious at the same time (?) It includes lots of in-game technical jargon as to explain the whole thing - they mystery is actually kind of nice after a certain point and you'll want to see how it all ends.

Having finished the game's story i'll say that i actually enjoyed it way more than i should have/thought.

Don't get it for the story though - i mean, there absolutely is one and it's also nice to follow but...it's not the game's strong suit, get it for the balls-to-the-wall action ;)
Well said.

Sleepwalker

Ive been playing it on gamepass haha, was only just wondering about the story because I tend to play with friends and free time this past week has been scarce.

Thank you! Looking forward to seeing it play out.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member

Feedback survey if anyone is interested.

They directly ask “what I liked” and “what I disliked” regarding the game.

If anyone here is loving the PvE and raids, please be sure to ask for more PvE and raids. They will take this feedback very seriously(just like the last survey) and they will do what they can to make the game a more fun experience for those playing or make even further changes to the experience to make things feel better.
I answered it last night. I said I liked most things about the game, said the beta put me off but gaming media website (GAF) changed my mind and to give it a go. Said I'm happy with most things. I did say I'd like to see more in game cosmetics available and that I'm not interested in the Battle Pass. It's obvious I paid for the game since I'm on PS5.

Dino Gauntlet is only a temporary mode I think. ☠️☠️

EDIT: Oh and for reasons to buy it I put "It's a new Capcom IP." Like they're self aware that they aren't putting them out.

Last edited:

Just saw this myself. Great news and good to know that good word of mouth is spreading about the game. Sometimes I feel that people tend to rely on steam playerbase a bit too much as a metric of online health. I do understand it, but there can be rare moments where services like Gamepass or PS Plus will help push numbers and this will never show on steam.

I only play multiplayer.. is the story worth the effort?
It depends on what you’re looking for , Giallo Corsa Giallo Corsa gave a good explanation above. Here is my explanation:

However at the same time it mixes it up enough and has enough enticing leveling systems to keep you wanting to know ‘what’s next’, whether that’s a new mode being introduced, a new boss, a new map, or a new skill being unlocked for an exosuit.

They shower you with coins(to buy skins and skills) by simply playing the game, and loot boxes have RNG that’s simply too generous. Both combined means you won’t have to worry about paying a dime nor feel left behind on anything. I finished the campaign without paying a cent and felt fulfilled with multiple customized exosuits, and the craziest thing is when you reach player level fifty they give you 30000 coins and you get 1k coins and a loot box for every player level after that. Only 2 cosmetics per character are locked behind the battle pass with 8 other ones being earnable through loot boxes or simply using coins.

Half of the story is done through fully animated cutscenes, and then the other half are done through codec calls with explanatory images. I’ve listed the game modes and maps on page 2 of this thread if you want to know more.

To add onto this, the story has some fun twists and turns as it’s mainly a mystery you’re solving along with lore explanation, but don’t expect a Metal Gear Solid level of writing when it comes to the codec calls and cutscenes. They do go in some crazy directions but it’s not as deep as MGS, and I think they would need to hire specific writers to come close. It does have a final boss and a harder boss before the final boss, in usual Capcom fashion.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I only play multiplayer.. is the story worth the effort?
Are you curious why a godlike AI would repeatedly use time travel tech to send waves of exosuit bio-cyborg fighters from multiple dimensions in 2043 to 2040 to fight endless waves of dinosaurs time travel warped from 65 million BC?

If you checked out during that question, the answer is no. If you immediately started laughing and instantly knew you had to see every detail like me, the answer is yes.

The story is a nice little bonus to the gameplay. It's not the main reason to play. However, I actually really enjoyed it.

Last edited:

EekTheKat

I don't think I"ll ever get tired of watching the opposing team's invading Dino get instantly vaporized by my entire team popping their super at the same time. One super paralyzes them, the other 4 obliterates the now immobile dino.

Literally sending a dinosaur back to its own dimension.

Last edited:

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
Man, I haven't won a game for 2 days straight...
- idiots that keep exiting the defence points
- idiots that keep exiting the cube's zone
- idiots that pick witchdoctor but don't heal
- idiots that keep killing raptors while.the game asks you to kill just 4 pteranodons etc etc
- idiot teams with...4 deadeyes/Kriegers/murasames

Listen , it's not this game's fault since all team.based games.are like this but it's starting to get on my tits, maybe the latest positive reviews actually brought some new blood in but...not like this dammit, my team keeps getting anihilated and it's just no fun anymore.

Also : I'm on PS5, I keep seeing dudes with the Capcom logo talking (mic.icon) but I can't hear them ? I've disabled.the mute game voice chat function but still nothing, what gives ?

Last edited:
Top Bottom