• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So is SPLATOON really going to lock 45 single-player missions behind amiibo?

Neiteio

EDIT (June 1): Got the amiibo three-pack. Actually 60 exclusive missions — fresh twists on single-player missions where you use different weapons, work within time limits and ink limits, unleash the kraken, etc. And in addition to the exclusive gear, you get new arcade games and new weapon skins.

Original thread (April 9):

By that I mean, without any alternate way of obtaining them.

When Nintendo announces an amiibo these days, they may as well be talking about something that doesn't exist, because I know that the average person (and even those watching preorders like a hawk) won't be able to get one.

Normally, I don't care, since the in-game application is usually trifling. But with the Splatoon amiibo, I'm reading there are 15 single-player challenges and five rare pieces of gear tied to each figure. So for all three figures (conveniently available in one package), that's 45 single-player challenges and 15 rare pieces of gear.

That sounds like a sizable amount of single-player content... Content that a pre-amiibo Nintendo would've sold as DLC (and probably at a reasonable price, judging by MK8). Yet now it's effectively DLC that only a fraction of the player base will get to experience, because the vast majority of amiibo stock will be locked up with scalpers. The vast majority of people aren't willing to pay more than MSRP to obtain amiibo, so that content will go unused.

Which is why I'm asking if it's possible Nintendo might just sell the DLC separately. It seems very unlikely, since it would rob the amiibo of their utility. But that just goes to underscore the greater problem: Tying what is effectively single-player DLC to a figure that will be nearly impossible to find.

And I want that schoolgirl outfit.

TKBXbTC.png

Vena

No.

Because they are rehashes of the single-player missions with forced stipulations (time-limited, only use weapon X, don't get hit, etc) that you can re-enact all you want on your own without the amiibo.

Neiteio

No.

Because they are rehashes of the single-player missions with forced stipulations that you can re-enact all you want on your own without the amiibo.
Not that I doubt you, but where has it been confirmed how all of the missions play out? Have the press tried all 45 missions?

Shauni

Not that I doubt you, but where has it been confirmed how all of the missions play out? Have the press tried all 45 missions?

In the Treehouse section after the lastest NA Direct where Splatoon was demoed, this was said, yeah.

Vena

Treehouse showed off a few of them and then talked about the others in that exact same way.

Do you think someone actually sat down and made 45 unique missions and that they never bothered advertising this on the Direct? The costumes are the actual prize, and you get them for beating the 15 challenges (3 per piece to make up the 5 pieces of a costume).

Fandangox

Is there anything locked behind an amiibo that can be obtainable through other means? Except for the Tokens in Xenoblade 3DS I can't think of any other example. So it will most likely be the case that this is only unlocked through amiibos and nothing else.

No.

Because they are rehashes of the single-player missions with forced stipulations (time-limited, only use weapon X, don't get hit, etc) that you can re-enact all you want on your own without the amiibo.

Isn't the costume still locked behind the amiibo?

Vena

Isn't the costume still locked behind the amiibo?

Honestly, we have no idea at this point. The recent EDGE mag made it sound like you could, somehow, actually find the thing in the game.

But as of so far, the costume is the only known actual content that is Amiibo specific. Robot, School-Girl, and Samurai. We have no idea if they actually do anything unique.

Treehouse showed off a few of them and then talked about the others in that exact same way.

Do you think someone actually sat down and made 45 unique missions and that they never bothered advertising this on the Direct? The costumes are the actual prize, and you get them for beating the 15 challenges (3 per piece to make up the 5 pieces of a costume).

Oh good, I still don't need to get an amiibo.

Neiteio

If the missions are really just shallow remixes of concepts in the base game, and if the costumes are the real prize, then I suppose that's not as bad as I had thought (although I still want that schoolgirl outfit). It's a worrying trend, though, that Nintendo may continue to treat the bulk of their amiibo as unlocks for content. These missions may not be particularly inspired, but future ones may be. And if they continue to be tied to amiibo, most people won't be able to play them.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Treehouse footage seems to partially deny this feaq, btw being mainly interest in single player mode, I hope it will be long enough. Btw, I am going for the EU squid bundle

No.

So it's like Cpt. Toad, where it adds a challenge to an existing level. It's something that is a fun extra, but not worth the cost if it were actual paid DLC (not connected to a cool figurine). As an Amiibo unlockable it's alright, I guess. It's nothing to complain about if you don't have an Amiibo, I think.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Here is the quote from EDGE:

Here is where the Amiibo integration ties in: the Inkling boy asks us to redo the first level using the Splat Roller, for instance, recasting grenade distraction challenges around the limited range of the weapon's flicked ink, but steamrollering many of the other foes. The girl, we're told, could set a tight time limit instead. If Hero mode is generously proportioned, and the size of the hub world suggest it is, the figures should feel like a treat for double dipping. Certainly what we play shows no evidence of being hamstrung to sell more toys.

Is there anything locked behind an amiibo that can be obtainable through other means? Except for the Tokens in Xenoblade 3DS I can't think of any other example. So it will most likely be the case that this is only unlocked through amiibos and nothing else.

Mario Party 10 has an amiibo mode where every super mario themed amiibo unlocks a new board to play on which matches the amiibo. As long as you have one amiibo to play the mode, you can unlock the other boards as you play. I only have the Mario amiibo, and I've unlocked the Luigi, Yoshi, and Bowser boards so far.

Vena

If the missions are really just shallow remixes of concepts in the base game, and if the costumes are the real prize, then I suppose that's not as bad as I had thought (although I still want that schoolgirl outfit). It's a worrying trend, though, that Nintendo may continue to treat the bulk of their amiibo as unlocks for content. These missions may not be particularly inspired, but future ones may be. And if they continue to be tied to amiibo, most people won't be able to play them.

This is Toad mashed with MK8 principles of Amiibo support.

Fandangox

Mario Party 10 has an amiibo mode where every super mario themed amiibo unlocks a new board to play on. As long as you have one amiibo to play the mode, you can unlock the other boards as you play. I only have the Mario amiibo, and I've unlocked the Luigi, Yoshi, and Bowser boards so far.

You still need the one amiibo to unlock it though.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Nintendo quickly seems to be adding more and more Amiibo locked features while not appropriately supplying them or offering alternatives for getting them. It's one of the most frustrating things any of the big three are doing right now.

This would not be a problem for me if I could get the fucking Amiibos, I want the pack thing they announced but we already know it's going to to be impossible to get.

Junahu

This is more akin to pre-order exclusive content, which consumers have long since rolled over and accepted as the norm.

You can be mad at Nintendo joining the fray if you want. But I hope we're not treating this as an unprecedented travesty in the industry, because it's actually rather common.

owlbeak

Really don't get why people shit all over DLC, but when Nintendo does it under the guise of figurines, it's cool.

The amiibos for Splat are stressing me out because I want the content in Splatoon, and I'm only gonna shell it out because it's a new IP and I want all I can get and to support it fully. If Nintendo didn't make these ridiculous to obtain than it wouldn't be a problem, I've been sitting on GAF and reddit for a few days now just waiting. And I already missed best buy.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd

imho, solution is to increase amiibos availability, not decreasing their ingame functions

Neiteio

imho, solution is to increase amiibos availability, not decreasing their ingame functions
I agree they should increase their availability and retain good in-game functionality.

Although I would say that using them as unlocks is a really shallow application.

Shauni

Really don't get why people shit all over DLC, but when Nintendo does it under the guise of figurines, it's cool.

I still don't understand why people keep saying this when we have threads full of people shitting on what Nintendo is doing. I wager there's more negativity about amiibo functionality than not, overall. Gonzo the Great alone probably tips the scales.

Are these things actual levels, or pointless achievement/remix things like "get the stars again, but 30 seconds faster" or "finish the level in reverse" type deals?

I really don't like the idea of DLC locked behind $15 figures. Even if its just a costume and some bonus challenge/remix missions. This whole amiibo situation has really lowered my opinion of Nintendo. Smash did it right, the AI thing is cool, but using ammibo as pay walls for unlocking content is just cheap.

God's
expensives
anual
repetitives

I was about to leave a comment on how blatantly stupid that text blurb is. Aside from the grammar errors, the statement in general trips over itself between clauses.

I mean I get someone was trying to be humorous, but the only thing funny about this is imagining the kind of person who wrote it.

Top Bottom