• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So is SPLATOON really going to lock 45 single-player missions behind amiibo?

brinstar

I agree that they should offer the unlocks as DLC or whatever. No one I know (myself including) is buying the figures specifically for their game uses. So it would basically please both crowds.

And if you don't care for the figure at all? It's essentially a $13 character. You just have the added bonus that it may have additional uses in an unspecified number of games down the road, of which there may be a chance you would be interested in with extra content that you may think to be worth owning. So many variables for such an expensive piece of plastic. I'd rather pay a couple bucks max for the content via DLC a la carte without having to deal with the headache of finding the figures in-store and without accumulating junk in a closet.

If you don't care for the figure at all you don't buy it and wait for the cards. You're buying a figure that unlocks hats for games. If you just want the hats wait for those to become available.

Dugna

Question, after you use a Amiibo for the extra content does that only work once? Or could I grab a friends Amiibo and collect its DLC on a copy of my game?

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
Question, after you use a Amiibo for the extra content does that only work once? Or could I grab a friends Amiibo and collect its DLC on a copy of my game?

I'm actually not sure, but I want to say yes you can.

DrWong

Amiibo are DLC you can lend to your friends. I do that with my son. Evil, isn't it?

NotLiquid

I'm sorry..but how in the world is this a good thing?

Not gonna judge anyone who wants to buy that plastic crap, but to make it sound like Nintendo is doing us a favor with this shit is certainly strange.

Because if you start offering more "expensive" incentives hidden behind a $13 figurine it actively starts detracting from the core value of the game itself.

By offering smaller things behind the figures but across multiple games that means that the people who aren't interested in them just don't need to get them. Most of the things the Amiibo unlock are small perks that relate to the character Amiibo in question. There's a fine line to walk between offering a nice bonus for owning a decent quality figure and just sectioning integral game play experiences through a figure. It means that the way this content is managed you're buying a figure that happens to have minimal content rather than the other way around.

Feel free to disagree on that but I'm with Jim Sterling on this one.

hatchx

Banned
They should release the DLC, and charge 1$ per level.

That way, you will be paying more for the levels, and not getting an action figure in the meantime.

I don't know what figurines go for these days, but 13.99 (Canadian, that is) doesn't seem so bad for unlockable content and a toy.

Also, the unlockables through amiibo are like remixed single player missions. AFAIK (and probably already mentioned in this thread), they are just portions of levels forcing you to use certain weapons.

Shauni

That way, you will be paying more for the levels, and not getting an action figure in the meantime.

I don't know what figurines go for these days, but 13.99 (Canadian, that is) doesn't seem so bad for unlockable content and a toy.

Also, the unlockables through amiibo are like remixed single player missions. AFAIK (and probably already mentioned in this thread), they are just portions of levels forcing you to use certain weapons.

amiibos cost $12.99 retail in the US. Same as Skylander and Infinity figures.

It's times like this that I'm so glad Nintendo is flopping so hard this gen because I would hate to imagine how shitty the industry would be if companies would start copying this shit.

The Cult Church of Nintendo states that everything their lord and savior does is for the betterment of mankind.

Believe in the blessed power of N!

You're happy that people might lose their jobs? Why let fanboys cloud your judgment?

Yes, that'll teach those people who wouldn't mind paying a cheaper price for any locked content for not getting a toy they didn't want.

Cømet

Banned
It's times like this that I'm so glad Nintendo is flopping so hard this gen because I would hate to imagine how shitty the industry would be if companies would start copying this shit.

The Cult Church of Nintendo states that everything their lord and savior does is for the betterment of mankind.

:^)

HunteronX

Banned

Does this comment actually change anything?
Go complain to Nintendo. Oh wait, do you even care enough to do so?

Why post utterly opinionated, pointlessness, here?

Anyway... I hate that the stock level of many Amiibos, is so low, as to keep up the price, and not actually meet the demand for them.

And I think that any DLC being associated with Amiibos should be accessible from the eShop, as an alternative.

Imo, that would make things reasonable, for me (dependent on the DLC price).

says the guy who thinks that rockstar is king lol
There's no other dev that can meticulously craft masterpieces that consistently push the boundaries of game design and draw out the potential of the tech available like Rockstar.

Rockstar has earned the respect they receive, Nintendo lost theirs nearly two decades ago and continues to show that they won't get it back any time soon.

You're happy that people might lose their jobs? Why let fanboys cloud your judgment?
Don't come at me with that sob story Sanchez.

Jay Sosa

Because if you start offering more "expensive" incentives hidden behind a $13 figurine it actively starts detracting from the core value of the game itself.

By offering smaller things behind the figures but across multiple games that means that the people who aren't interested in them just don't need to get them. Most of the things the Amiibo unlock are small perks that relate to the character Amiibo in question. There's a fine line to walk between offering a nice bonus for owning a decent quality figure and just sectioning integral game play experiences through a figure. It means that the way this content is managed you're buying a figure that happens to have minimal content rather than the other way around.

Feel free to disagree on that but I'm with Jim Sterling on this one.

I get what you're saying it's just that I will never be in favor of microtransaction no matter in what pretty package they come in. And It's a slippery slope; a system that can and probably will be abused by Nintendo.

DieH@rd

Banned
2793ec3827.jpg

golf-clap.gif

Celine

There's no other dev that can meticulously craft masterpieces that consistently push the boundaries of game design and draw out the potential of the tech available like Rockstar.

Rockstar has earned the respect they receive, Nintendo lost theirs nearly two decades ago and continues to show that they won't get it back any time soon.
Rockstar has earned the respect they receive, so did Nintendo.
That Nintendo didn't meticulously craft masterpieces in almost two decades is bullshit and you know it (I hope).

redcrayon

This image pretty much sums up everything I expect typographically from an internet meme. Mix of upper and lower case, mix of centred and ranged-left type, mix of typefaces, random use of bold type, multiple primary-school level spelling errors in barely fifty words.

funny thing is, that more people say this about Nintendo than about Rockstar...

but...
- yeah, this tech potential is GFWL in the pc version of gtiv and noire,
- the ridiculous bad and buggy pc port of gtiv
- dozen of features missing from gtav that were present in gtaiv (and even more in gtaiii)
- holding the pc version of gtav back just to re-release it with fancier graphics simultaneously with the new generation to make another quick big buck
- and shall i also inform you about the ridiculous launch that was gtaonline?
- and dont let me start with l.a. noire, manhunt or table tennis, max payne, those consistently pushed out meticulously genre defining crafted masterpieces...
- and the terribad pc version of bully

i got ya covered. I dunno, but the last masterpiece they did was rdr (maybe because it had no pc port to ruin it for me) and that was a long time ago, meanwhile i had dozens of games from nintendo or even more so almost all games by platinum and atlus to play that were fantastic all around without bad aftertaste.

dat respect, especially within the pc community... do you live in parallel universe or what?
im not going to start a list war here to show that your argument is utter nonsense

would you please stop trolling now?

and see: i don't come into rockstar threads to shit on them, even if it is justified !!! I just ignore them, so you would be doing everyone a favour to do the same about nintendo threads if you so hate the company.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
As long as the amiibo keep on selling in big quantities, not buying the game doesn't send the message you think will send. It will just tell Nintendo not to follow up with this IP and this genre. More so if the LE will be sold out.

thebloo

Chû Totoro;159511255 said:
DLC on disc is good when :
- it doesn't feel like taken out from the main game

But it is taken out from the main game. No matter how you cut it. It's on the disk.

But it is taken out from the main game. No matter how you cut it. It's on the disk.

So, would it be ok if they released the exact same amiibo-functionality post-release? Let's say with a patch? I mean they have to add something for the amiibo and it wouldn't make any sense to not include it right from the start just so that people can't say it's on-disc dlc.

Neiteio

Well, an update to this thread, in light of the Jimquisition on the same topic.

I got my amiibo three-pack on the night of release. Last in store.

And it's actually 60 remixed challenges — plus exclusive gear, weapon skins, and three extra arcade games.

And it's all still bullshit. I'm lucky I got it, but everyone should be able to obtain these. The challenges are fresh twists on the single-player content that expand the game in a meaningful way. Completing them also earns you lots of in-game cash. And of course the costumes and weapon skins are great. So is having three extra arcade games to play while waiting for a match to begin.

I hope they make these amiibo readily available so others can enjoy the same content.

Pandy

And it's actually 60 remixed challenges — plus exclusive gear, weapon skins, and three extra arcade games.

And it's all still bullshit. I'm lucky I got it, but everyone should be able to obtain these. The challenges are fresh twists on the single-player content that expand the game in a meaningful way. Completing them also earns you lots of in-game cash. And of course the costumes and weapon skins are great. So is having three extra arcade games to play while waiting for a match to begin.

I hope they make these amiibo readily available so others can enjoy the same content.
It's actually the arcade games I'm most interested in. Squid Jump is GOTY material.

Got the Squid Amiibo coming, will wait for the cards for the boy/girl inklings.

Shauni

If this stuff were on the disc I would imagine a lot of this would be said:

"We have to do what to get those costumes? Why can't we buy them in the shop like all the other costumes?"

"Man, these levels are nice to have, but how lazy, they aren't even remixed levels? Come on, Nintendo, at least give up some incentive to play the levels again!"

"What the hell, I just went through all of that for this gear and most of the stuff I can buy in the shop is just as good or better! What the hell, Nintendo, shouldn't they be better than everything else for as long as they took to get!"

The gear and stuff is so minor I have a hard time anyone would give a shit about it if not for the fact that it was locked behind the amiibo. Much, of course, like almost all of the amiibo functionality thus far.

I will say, though, that I do think putting the minigames behind the amiibos was a mistake. That, I don't really understand.

oxacillin

Banned

Expand the game in a meaningful way?

No it doesn't. They are literally the same missions with worse weapons for them and some challenges. There isn't anything "meaningful" at all.

Yup, having played the extra challenges and seen what's on offer, I'm a bit less sanguine about *this particular implementation* of amiibo.

I'd argue that in this case, Nintendo should have made the extra content available as a low-priced expansion post-launch and made it available to anyone who bought the amiibo. Anyone interested in the figures gets a neat bonus for buying them, and anyone unwilling/unable to buy the figures gets the option to buy the extra content separately.

For most/all of the other amiibo implementations I think Nintendo have steered pretty well clear of locking anything meaningful or substantial to them - stuff like Mario Kart costumes are neat, but cosmetic fluff, for example - but in this case they've gone off in an unhealthy direction. Hopefully it will be the only misstep, and they can always correct it with a "Inkling Challenge/Costume DLC" pack made available later, which I hope they will do.

No it doesn't. They are literally the same missions with worse weapons for them and some challenges. There isn't anything "meaningful" at all.

Eh, I'd say the equipment you unlock is petty meaningful, as well as the retro minigames.

Yup. Same missions and gear that isn't even 3-star along with the game itself offering a ton of gear.

The arcade games are the most substantial part that could have been put into the game. Even those though probably won't be played much. They're really simple and matchmaking is pretty quick.

Also the boy is still available on Amazon and the Girl was still there until Saturday so there isn't as bad stock shortages as usual. They need to (and probably will) sell the squid alone.

Yeah, as long as NoA starts selling the Squid separately, these really aren't going to be hard to find . The 3-Pack is tough to get ahold of (I got lucky....thanks Amazon!), but the Boy and Girl Inklings are easy to get.

Shauni

Yup, having played the extra challenges and seen what's on offer, I'm a bit less sanguine about *this particular implementation* of amiibo.

I'd argue that in this case, Nintendo should have made the extra content available as a low-priced expansion post-launch and made it available to anyone who bought the amiibo. Anyone interested in the figures gets a neat bonus for buying them, and anyone unwilling/unable to buy the figures gets the option to buy the extra content separately.

For most/all of the other amiibo implementations I think Nintendo have steered pretty well clear of locking anything meaningful or substantial to them - stuff like Mario Kart costumes are neat, but cosmetic fluff, for example - but in this case they've gone off in an unhealthy direction. Hopefully it will be the only misstep, and they can always correct it with a "Inkling Challenge/Costume DLC" pack made available later, which I hope they will do.

What separates the costumes here from the ones in MK8?

Neiteio

Speak for yourself. I'm having a blast with these challenges. Playing with the charger, roller, Kraken power, time limits and ink limits makes them feel new.

What separates the costumes here from the ones in MK8?

They actually have in-game stat effects? AFAIK, all of the MK8 costumes (I've unlocked everything but Olimar, I think) are cosmetic items, not anything that makes a change to your racer's ability.

You could argue that there are equivalent bits of kit to the Splatoon amiibo unlockables in the game - I haven't spent enough time with it yet, but I'm sure there are similar items available from the in-game shops with the same or similar stat boosts - but they are still cosmetic items that alter the gameplay that - crucially - aren't available to anyone who wants to buy them, thanks to the way this particular content is locked to the figure.

Make the costumes and challenges available as DLC to anyone with an eShop account at a later date and the problem is solved - I think the challenges and outfits are substantial enough to be worth a few pounds per pack, and given the nature of this particular amiibo content I think making it separately available would defuse a lot of the criticism.

Linkyn

I honestly think the best solution would be, as with any bonus (be it pre-order, store exclusive, whatever), to just make it available digitally or in the form of an easily mass-produced physical product. I'm hoping the AC amiibo cards are a move in the right direction. They should be able to just print amiibo cards at low cost and let stores stock them, so you at least have the option to unlock further content.

Edit: It's fairly clear at this point that every implementation of amiibo is an experiment. One can hope that issues like these are used to avoid the same mistakes in the future.

Neiteio

The amiibo figures will sell regardless of in-game content. They should just make the in-game content a free bonus when buying the figure, and also sell it for a low price as a DLC addition for those who don't want to buy the figures.

Morokh

They actually have in-game stat effects? AFAIK, all of the MK8 costumes (I've unlocked everything but Olimar, I think) are cosmetic items, not anything that makes a change to your racer's ability.

They are not more powerful than items you can get ingame so it's a non issue.

All items can have 3 additional stats and those can be re-reolled for ingame money.

It's just cosmetics in the end.

zlatko

Banned

Wait... how do you get extra arcade games to play? I just have the stupid jumping squid up platforms one.

Odrion

Banned

So is the second half of 3d Land meaningless as well? How about the Flower World in 3D world?

Odrion

Banned
The second half of 3D land is completely unique levels, not the same levels with different powerups.

Did you get hit in the head with a rock after beating the normal game? A laaaaarge portion of the special stages are the same levels with modifiers.

edit: Imagine a Mario Galaxy game where you have to own specific Amiibos to unlock comet challenges.

Peff

The second half of 3D land is completely unique levels, not the same levels with different powerups.

There are two completely unique levels in the second half of 3D Land. The vast, vast, vast majority of those eight worlds is just normal levels with timed/cosmic clone modifiers

Top Bottom