• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So is SPLATOON really going to lock 45 single-player missions behind amiibo?

Hiltz

I don't really see the big problem with amiibo. The content it unlocks is considered non-essential. It's not important to the core package of the game. None of it unlocks new levels ( that are not merely challenge missions based on recycled level design) or gameplay modes. Even in Smash Bros, the amiibo don't lock out a new playable character. Sakurai's offering new playable characters as paid DLC without the need to also own the amiibo for it.

Neiteio

Wait... how do you get extra arcade games to play? I just have the stupid jumping squid up platforms one.
They're the reward for the fourth row of challenges on each amiibo. There's a volleyball minigame, a racing minigame, and a rhythm minigame. Along with the jumping minigame, you can choose from all four once you've unlocked them all.

Neiteio

I don't really see the big problem with amiibo. The content it unlocks is considered non-essential. It's not important to the core package of the game. None of it unlocks new playable brand new levels (not challenge missions based on recycled level design) or gameplay modes. Even in Smash Bros, the amiibo don't lock out a new playable character. Sakurai's offering new playable characters as paid DLC without the need to also own the amiibo for it.
In the case of the Splatoon, three of the four arcade games are tied to amiibo. Amiibo is the only way you can get 75% of that content.

The remixed levels are comparable to the bulk of the special world levels in 3D Land and 3D World -- they reuse layouts but the new weapons, Kraken power, time limits and ink limits make them feel new. You win cash for each challenge and also unlock exclusive gear and weapon skins in addition to the three exclusive arcade games.

It's not hard to see how someone might want the above. So to tie them to amiibo that may or may not be hard to find is a bit disappointing. I have all three and think they're all worthwhile, so I hope everyone can find them if they want them.

Shauni

They actually have in-game stat effects? AFAIK, all of the MK8 costumes (I've unlocked everything but Olimar, I think) are cosmetic items, not anything that makes a change to your racer's ability.

You could argue that there are equivalent bits of kit to the Splatoon amiibo unlockables in the game - I haven't spent enough time with it yet, but I'm sure there are similar items available from the in-game shops with the same or similar stat boosts - but they are still cosmetic items that alter the gameplay that - crucially - aren't available to anyone who wants to buy them, thanks to the way this particular content is locked to the figure.

Make the costumes and challenges available as DLC to anyone with an eShop account at a later date and the problem is solved - I think the challenges and outfits are substantial enough to be worth a few pounds per pack, and given the nature of this particular amiibo content I think making it separately available would defuse a lot of the criticism.

You can get those stats on other clothes, though? The stats these costumes have are not exclusive to them. They are purely for cosmetic purposes in the end

nynt9

Maybe I'm really losing my mind and confusing memories of Land and World and I played Land ages ago so I have no idea what I'm talking about. My bad

Vena

They actually have in-game stat effects? AFAIK, all of the MK8 costumes (I've unlocked everything but Olimar, I think) are cosmetic items, not anything that makes a change to your racer's ability.

The costumes from the Amiibo are actually inferior (without investing 90,000 gold) to things you can buy from Spike or the store clerks.

Maybe I'm really losing my mind and confusing memories of Land and World and I played Land ages ago so I have no idea what I'm talking about. My bad

I think you confused Land with World, but the last world of 3DWorld was just rehashed content that padded out reaching Champion's Road.

I don't really see the big problem with amiibo. The content it unlocks is considered non-essential. It's not important to the core package of the game. None of it unlocks new levels ( that are not merely challenge missions based on recycled level design) or gameplay modes. Even in Smash Bros, the amiibo don't lock out a new playable character. Sakurai's offering new playable characters as paid DLC without the need to also own the amiibo for it.

Supply.

Sacul64GC

Banned
In the case of the Splatoon, three of the four arcade games are tied to amiibo. Amiibo is the only way you can get 75% of that content.

The remixed levels are comparable to the bulk of the special world levels in 3D Land and 3D World -- they reuse layouts but the new weapons, Kraken power, time limits and ink limits make them feel new. You win cash for each challenge and also unlock exclusive gear and weapon skins in addition to the three exclusive arcade games.

It's not hard to see how someone might want the above. So to tie them to amiibo that may or may not be hard to find is a bit disappointing. I have all three and think they're all worthwhile, so I hope everyone can find them if they want them.

I would actually say that if we did not have amiibo the single player levels would have just given you the option to change your weapons.

Neiteio

The costumes from the Amiibo are actually inferior (without investing 90,000 gold) to things you can buy from Spike or the store clerks.
My schoolgirl outfit has an excellent mix of abilities. Reduced ink use for main and sub weapons, faster ink refill, increased damage output and sub range, increased special charge, increased swim speed and super-jump.

Vena

I would actually say that if we did not have amiibo the single player levels would have just given you the option to change your weapons.

I doubt that. The levels aren't made for the Roller or Charger.

My schoolgirl outfit has an excellent mix of abilities. Reduced ink use for main and sub weapons, faster ink refill, increased damage output and sub range, increased special charge, increased swim speed and super-jump.

Irrelevant, they are **-gear, and have only two sub-perks to unlock. ***-gear is better unless you pay 30,000 per piece of gear to give it the last perk slot.

Shauni

The "remixed levels" are the exact same maps from the single player. Fine to argue that the challenge of time limits, different weapons, etc. make them "feel different", but it's inaccurate to described them in this vein.

Illucio

Banned
They are the same missions from the main story/quest, you just get to use a different weapon to play them through to try and get that weapon.

The roller + final boss is nearly impossible. Got as far as his third stage, too dang fast.

Neiteio

The "remixed levels" are the exact same maps from the single player. Fine to argue that the challenge of time limits, different weapons, etc. make them "feel different", but it's inaccurate to described them in this vein.
What are you talking about? Many of the special levels in 3D Land and 3D World were the exact same level layouts but with a time limit or other condition added.

Shauni

What are you talking about? Many of the special levels in 3D Land and 3D World were the exact same level layouts but with a time limit or other condition added.

Hm, I really can't say I recall that many of the bonus world level being literally the exact same map? Maybe I am mistaken, though, it's been awhile since I've played either.

Neiteio

Hm, I really can't say I recall that many of the bonus world level being literally the exact same map? Maybe I am mistaken, though, it's been awhile since I've played either.
A lot of special levels in 3D Land and 3D World had you racing against the clock picking up time extensions, or avoiding Shadow Mario, etc. But the level layouts were the same.

I don't know if you've been playing the amiibo challenges, but this is comparable content that many people would be happy to have included in the base game, or available for a small fee as DLC. They shouldn't be tied to amiibo that may be impossible to find at some point.

Also, regarding the outfits and weapon skins, regardless of whether there's a performance difference, it's still perfectly valid to want them based on cosmetics. The people who think they look cool should be able to obtain them without an amiibo.

Same for the arcade games. I'm amazed they tied three of the four arcade games to amiibo.

Most DLC is considered non-essential. OP is stating that folks shouldn't have to put up with Amiibo shipment nonsense just to be able to play this DLC. All that is being said is to also offer the DLC as a download on the eShop as well.

This is the main issue with Amiibos. In order to find a useful sell for them the go to has become unlock more in game stuff, but not only is that a terrible delivery service for DLC, it is also a major problem because most people can't even get a hold of these things unless it is Mario, Link, or the other big names.

Needham

Are the mini games any good? I'm bummed that I can't play any of them without wasting money on plastic figures I absolutely do not want. I've beat Squid Jump a few times now, it would be nice to play something else sometimes.

No.

Because they are rehashes of the single-player missions with forced stipulations (time-limited, only use weapon X, don't get hit, etc) that you can re-enact all you want on your own without the amiibo.

Late reply, but I'll always take issue with the fact that a game that's wanting for single-player content has these options locked behind a paywall.

Shauni

A lot of special levels in 3D Land and 3D World had you racing against the clock picking up time extensions, or avoiding Shadow Mario, etc. But the level layouts were the same.

I don't know if you've been playing the amiibo challenges, but this is comparable content that many people would be happy to have included in the base game, or available for a small fee as DLC. They shouldn't be tied to amiibo that may be impossible to find at some point.

Well, my memory may just be failing me then, because I didn't recall a lot of that in either of those games, but okay. As long as we're not spreading misinformation about actual maps being tied to amiibo like many have in the past

Also, regarding the outfits and weapon skins, regardless of whether there's a performance difference, it's still perfectly valid to want them based on cosmetics. The people who think they look cool should be able to obtain them without an amiibo.

I never said it wasn't, that's up to the individual. You ignore the context of that statement. It was towards someone who said that the stats made this somehow above the costumes in MK8 as far as quality, when I think that's pretty inaccurate to say since, again, none of those stats are exclusive to those costumes and can be found on a variety of clothing I'm sure. In the end, it's cosmetic, just like MK8 costumes. How big of a deal that is up to you.

Same for the arcade games. I'm amazed they tied three of the four arcade games to amiibo.

I've already agreed with you on this.

Vena

Late reply, but I'll always take issue with the fact that a game that's wanting for single-player content has these options locked behind a paywall.

Nah, its fine. What I thought they would do was actually not what they did, as you can't "redo" the levels with different weapons.

That said, having played them, doing some of the non-Squidling challenges is total bullshit. Levels aren't made with the weapons in mind and you can tell this was slapped in at the end of development.

Aroll

You aren't paying $13 for a character.

You are buying a $13 figure and getting a character as a bonus.

The fact that you fail to understand that is awe-inspiring.

The fact anyone views this as anything other than paid on-disc DLC is truly baffling. Yes, you're getting a figure. What if you want to play that content, have those weapons, or play that character but don't want a figure? It's still $13 for what you want, which is in-game content, that would normally be available for much cheaper otherwise. Except, now you can't even control if you can get that content, because the figures might be sold out. Like the 3 pack for splatoon. Want all that content? Sorry, we may make more later for you to buy, maybe.

Amiibo started off as a neat "get a figure, get a costume" ideal, but it blew up into way more. There are 60 more difficult single palyer challenges, actual gear, etc locked out of Splatoon if you don't get not one amiibo, but the entire 3 pack - basically at launch, you have to spend $100 to get all the content for the game, except... you probably couldn't get the 3 pack, so really... you're screwed. They could easily put this on the eShop to buy, but nope.

The fact anyone views this as anything other than paid on-disc DLC is truly baffling. Yes, you're getting a figure. What if you want to play that content, have those weapons, or play that character but don't want a figure? It's still $13 for what you want, which is in-game content, that would normally be available for much cheaper otherwise. Except, now you can't even control if you can get that content, because the figures might be sold out. Like the 3 pack for splatoon. Want all that content? Sorry, we may make more later for you to buy, maybe.

Amiibo started off as a neat "get a figure, get a costume" ideal, but it blew up into way more. There are 60 more difficult single palyer challenges, actual gear, etc locked out of Splatoon if you don't get not one amiibo, but the entire 3 pack - basically at launch, you have to spend $100 to get all the content for the game, except... you probably couldn't get the 3 pack, so really... you're screwed. They could easily put this on the eShop to buy, but nope.

Can I resell paid on disc DLC after I am done with it?

Neiteio

Are the mini games any good? I'm bummed that I can't play any of them without wasting money on plastic figures I absolutely do not want. I've beat Squid Jump a few times now, it would be nice to play something else sometimes.
I got the three-pack, but I've only unlocked Squid Volleyball so far. It's a lot of fun! You control a squid on one side of the net. Each stage gives you a target: 5/5, 20/20, etc. That's how many jellyfish you have to knock out on the other side of the net. You get three tries for each stage.

The ball is a zapfish that falls from the sky. You tap ZR once to hit it into the air, and then ZR again to jump up and spike it to the other side. The ball comes your way at different angles, so you have to bounce it either left or right so that you have enough room to jump and spike it. And you want to time your jump so you hit it at the right height to get it over the net and take out as many jellyfish as possible. The zapfish becomes bigger and bigger with each of the three rounds, so if you're having a hard time hitting your targets with the small zapfish, you might be able to mount a comeback with the large zapfish at the end.

Each stage is different: In one stage, there is only one jellyfish to hit, which is tricky since you have to be accurate. In another stage, there are many jellyfish zigzagging back and forth. Since they're moving, you have to line up your shot in order to get the combo. You also get bonuses for hitting more jellyfish with fewer balls (i.e. getting 5/5 on your first try, without having to use the remaining two rounds).

The amiibo levels aren't that fun tbh. It's annoying to have to redo every level over again.

What is messed up is the green squid amiibo. I got the three pack, but if you don't manage to find one your SOL unless you want to purchase the regular amiibo AND the three pack when you find it.

Neiteio

If I can find another three-pack, I might organize a mailing ring where we can ship them around and let everyone unlock the content.

Neiteio

Well, my memory may just be failing me then, because I didn't recall a lot of that in either of those games, but okay. As long as we're not spreading misinformation about actual maps being tied to amiibo like many have in the past
Here's a list of examples from Special World 1 in 3D Land. Note the descriptions for each level: "harder version of [X], harder version of [Y] with time limit," etc.

In effect, Nintendo has tied the "Special World" content in Splatoon to amiibo.

Don't you need to reauthenticate to replay the missions?
Yes, but if we can arrange an amiibo swap, at least everyone can have a chance to experience the challenges, and once completed, everyone gets to keep the arcade games, gear and weapon skins they unlock.

Ezalc

The implementation of Amiibos is extremely dubious to me. I feel like all their content should be able to be purchased digitally. The plus side of having the amiibo should be that you pay the price once and then you get all the dlc that that amiibo offers to the games it's compatible with plus that nice little physical toy. If you however don't want the physical thing, you should still be allowed to get whatever bonuses it offers by buying what you want from a virtual store.

I'm going to need somebody to fact check this, but I believe the worst use of Amiibos is with the Codename STEAM game where there are 4 fully working characters only available through amiibos. If the only way to use those characters is through that, then that is some serious fucking bullshit. If they can be unlocked without having to buy them, then I see no problem with these statues except for their scarcity.

Willectro

Banned
It's too bad the amiibos are insanely difficult to get at retail considering how they are featured in the plaza (the empty amiibo box). It's like Nintendo is trying to sell me something I can't even buy at this point.

wildfire

Banned
Amiibo started off as a neat "get a figure, get a costume" ideal, but it blew up into way more.

Wait what? Amiibo never started as just a costume thing. It's still optional but things like your character cpu AI learning moves and no limits on fighting style customization options aren't as mundane as costumes.

Neiteio

The problem with the "toys to life" implementation (reading AND writing) is that amiibo can only store information for one game at a time. So if you use your Mario amiibo for Mario Party 10, you'll have to overwrite any Smash data on it first.

Apparently they are available at a Target 30 mins away (the 3-pack), but I really don't want to drive 1 hour to get them. Amazon just has the inkling boy, so I might bite with him just to begin, where can I find what type of dlc he unlocks?

Can amiibos be used multiple times? Like if I give my amiibo to someone else after I use it to unlock the levels and gear, will they be able to do it as well?

Neiteio

Apparently they are available at a Target 30 mins away (the 3-pack), but I really don't want to drive 1 hour to get them. Amazon just has the inkling boy, so I might bite with him just to begin, where can I find what type of dlc he unlocks?
Honestly, just make the drive and get the three-pack. The squid amiibo is only available in the three-pack. Might as well get all the content if you have the opportunity.

Neiteio

Can amiibos be used multiple times? Like if I give my amiibo to someone else after I use it to unlock the levels and gear, will they be able to do it as well?
I believe GameXplain said that you can loan the amiibo to others and they can use it to unlock content, as well. It doesn't write anything to the amiibo.

It does make you register the amiibo, though. Not sure what that's about.

Odrion

Banned
The problem with the "toys to life" implementation (reading AND writing) is that amiibo can only store information for one game at a time. So if you use your Mario amiibo for Mario Party 10, you'll have to overwrite any Smash data on it first.

jesus christ that's dumb

Every Special level in 3D Land was a remix of a previous level, same layout, but different special coin placement, enemy placement, and usually being chased by goddam terrifying clone mario.

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky
I love this game so much that it makes me mad that I have to buy the stupid toys to get the DLC. Leave it to Nintendo to finally go day-and-date concurrent digital releases of all their games... and make the DLC physically tied to little toys that you can't actually buy unless you're a mouth breather with an excel sheet and standing calls into your local Toys R Us.

Lothars

No but that doesn't make this any better. I just don't understand how anyone can defend Nintendo on this with how low of supply amiibos are to get.

It seems like any other company would be torn apart for this but since it's Nintendo it's okay.

Amiibos are fine, locked on disc dlc is not.

We really need an online database with nfc-presets so you can just buy yourself a blank nfc chip and rewrite it with whatever you need.

No but that doesn't make this any better. I just don't understand how anyone can defend Nintendo on this with how low of supply amiibos are to get.

It seems like any other company would be torn apart for this but since it's Nintendo it's okay.

It´s not ok, keep that fanboy nonsense out of it.

Vena

I love this game so much that it makes me mad that I have to buy the stupid toys to get the DLC. Leave it to Nintendo to finally go day-and-date concurrent digital releases of all their games... and make the DLC physically tied to little toys that you can't actually buy unless you're a mouth breather with an excel sheet and standing calls into your local Toys R Us.

Unless you want the minigames or the costumes, I don't think its worth it. I am not the only one who shares the opinion that the remixes are crap because the levels aren't built for the weapons. Its just tedious grind for some costumes.

The implementation of Amiibos is extremely dubious to me. I feel like all their content should be able to be purchased digitally. The plus side of having the amiibo should be that you pay the price once and then you get all the dlc that that amiibo offers to the games it's compatible with plus that nice little physical toy. If you however don't want the physical thing, you should still be allowed to get whatever bonuses it offers by buying what you want from a virtual store.

Use it, then sell the figure? Or do like we do at our college, trade them around and have people only buy the figures they actually want to keep/own. We've unlocked every piece of content this way without buying an army of figures.

I'm going to need somebody to fact check this, but I believe the worst use of Amiibos is with the Codename STEAM game where there are 4 fully working characters only available through amiibos. If the only way to use those characters is through that, then that is some serious fucking bullshit. If they can be unlocked without having to buy them, then I see no problem with these statues except for their scarcity.

STEAM is bad, but the units are also worthless which is extremely perplexing.

Yes you can sell it.

rhandino

Banned
OOTsOQ4.png

Are you really implying that this topic is not discussed [vehemently] every single time that a game is announced to have amiibo compatibility? Really?

Neff

I'd actually say you're right because what Nintendo usually delivers upfront is entirely satisfactory regardless of DLC or paywall content.

Qurupeke

It sucks a lot. What if someone gets the game one year later? The amiibos will be unobtainable. The squid amiibo is available only in a limited edition of the game in Europe. They should make the stuff behind the amiibos available as paid DLC.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
It sucks a lot. What if someone gets the game one year later? The amiibos will be unobtainable. The squid amiibo is available only in a limited edition of the game in Europe. They should make the stuff behind the amiibos available as paid DLC.

These sorts of questions may depend on the card amiibo program they're about to launch.

If a cheap trading card of every amiibo is available in quantity, acquiring a particular character could be simple for years to come. However such things are a real concern.

rhandino

Banned

I agree a little with this, or at least make it "timed exclusive" because, let's be real, they need an incentive for people to buy the games day one...

Top Bottom