• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ridley Scott confirms Prometheus 2 is his next film

Status
Not open for further replies.
What he bought the rights to Wool? I'm in the middle of reading this now. Loving it so far.
Yep. I'm friends with the author on fb after reading the novel. He's a great guy and so lovable and humble considering how popular the book got.

Edit:latest news is he's coproducing it. The writer of guardians of the Galaxy is doing a rewrite (awesome she did a great job) before FOX starts looking to attach people to the project.

I enjoyed Prometheus.

Now, the story, especially the universe 'rules', was far too convoluted and damn near broken at times. Prometheus is a standalone film that requires a sequel to accept the story its trying to tell. That's its problem IMO.

The black goo did too much, the Alien lifecycle was expanded upon in weird ways. Can it all work? Sure. But it certainly could have been more cohesively done in the film.

The flute thing was stupid as hell though. :lol

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
I enjoyed Prometheus.

Now, the story, especially the universe 'rules', was far too convoluted and damn near broken at times. Prometheus is a standalone film that requires a sequel to accept the story its trying to tell. That's its problem IMO.

The black goo did too much, the Alien lifecycle was expanded upon in weird ways. Can it all work? Sure. But it certainly could have been more cohesively done in the film.

The flute thing was stupid as hell though. :lol

7025321_orig.gif

The wrong lead died in the last one and that's a big reason why I'm having a hard time getting excited about a sequel.

They basically let the idiot survive at the end. She led everyone to their deaths and survived to live another dead.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
A direct sequel would be crazy; a lone female and a robotic severed head on a planet of aliens. I want that movie, but I don't think they're going to make that movie.
They will give him a body again. Hell he could bioengineer an alien android one using the Precursor Engineer technologies.

Or retcon that hey grabbed his body from the wreck before they snag the second vessel.

EDIT:
Prometheus Pros:

Gorgeous looking
Kinda Scary
Lawrence of Arabia
Interesting origin premise

Prometheus Cons:

FATHER!
Alien Dude (complete lack of) Explanation
Snake Idiot
Guy who isn't on the spaceship to make friends

If I could be bothered I'd edit a version with an easy fix. Lawrence talks to the Alien dude, explaining in captions that he's a robit. The Alien dude is all like, "What!? we hate robits and computers and artificial life because all our technology is based on real life like we keep in these dangerous jars" Then goes HAM.
All of this too.
Except Alien Dude says "what's a robit?" "Man created me" "...only we create life" goes HAM

borborygmus

Deck'ard nailed it.

Prometheus isn't just dumb, it's crazy, but not even in a fun way. Lindelof is a hack who does nothing but use Christian symbolism to conceal his complete lack of imagination and depth as a writer.

Having 'mysteries' that are unanswered is not the problem. It's that the mysteries are cheap bullshit, the likes of which you'd see on LOST (surprise, another thing Lindelof was a part of). It's like "omg that was weird, I wonder what that was about!" But in the end it's about nothing. That's why the movie doesn't answer it, because it can't. It's literally nothing. Cram in enough of these "mysteries" and it gives the semblance of depth, or at least some kind of grand, unifying vision behind the movie. But really, it's literally nothing.

Lindelof has figured out that if you throw in 30 or 40 asspulls in a movie, viewers can't completely keep track of them all and will just assume it all checks out somehow.

Robot Pants

I scoffed and rolled my eyes when I saw this thread.
I mean I GUESS if Lindelof stays 100 light years away from it it could be alright. But the damage has been done for me.
I can't remember a more disappointing movie in my lifetime. I've settled on 2/10 and i stick by that to this day

Arnie7

Banned
Why aren't people more excited for this? I mean come on its Ridley Scott doing another sci fi, the same one that did Balde Runner and Alien!

Prometheus has deep lore and is very interesting.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Prometheus is a beautiful idiot.

what do you think about this interpretation? Too pretentious even for Scott?

The stupidly religious scientists going to great lengths to seek answers that only leave them confused infuriated and disappointed are an allegory for the Alien audience, and possibly for blockbuster film franchise audiences in general.

Weyland's character is an allegory for the director selfishly seeking immortality through his cinematic work, and purposefully exploiting his audience in the process.

I really liked Prometheus. It didn't make a whole lot of sense, but I love the way Ridley Scott films. It's enjoyable to watch his movies, even if the story isn't all that great.

borborygmus

what do you think about this interpretation? Too pretentious even for Scott?

Lindelof is incapable of thinking on that level, and he wrote the script.

The problems with Prometheus are analogous to the problems with LOST. It sets up a certain expectation of groundedness and then titillates the audience with crazy mysteries that they think surely have an explanation of some kind (but secretly don't), because c'mon, these were regular people on a plane; c'mon, this is an ALIEN movie, the series has made sense so far (in that there's a certain logic behind the things that can and can't happen in it). Repeat 50 times for maximum obfuscation and fan theories.

Partition

Banned
still think it was one of the best looking films ever. nonsensical human characters aside, the actual plot gets too much flack too.... movie would have benefitted from being straight up sci-fi and not a generic action movie.

i think there is a ton of potential for a sequel too given where the last one left off. hopefully it's a direct sequel. any news from Fassbender/Rapace if they were involved?

ultrazilla

Gold Member
I would rather see Neil Blomkamp's Alien sequel, than Prometheus II!

First post!

Scott needs to get back to the horrific, unsettling, unknown, terrifying universe of the "A L I E N" verse he created and that Prometheus largely missed imo.

I'm more exited for Blomkamp's Aliens sequel.

Ovid

Why aren't people more excited for this? I mean come on its Ridley Scott doing another sci fi, the same one that did Balde Runner and Alien!

Prometheus has deep lore and is very interesting.

He had a chance to wow us with the first one and it turned out to be a dud.

Everyone has low exception for this film, including me.

Monocle

He had a chance to wow us with the first one and it turned out to be a dud.

Everyone has low exception for this film, including me.
Speak for yourself. Prometheus was awesome for the art design and cinematography alone. Not to mention Fassbender's performance. I have high expectations for the sequel.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Can't wait to see LV426. Bring it!

You won't, as far as Ridley is concerned that had already happened by the time of Prometheus. 2000-odd years before to be precise. The Alien connection is done and dusted, there won't even be xenomorphs in it.

You're going to see Paradise (Heaven), which is actually not paradise (it's Hell!) and the crisis of faith that brings our intrepid Christian scientist space explorer.

Maybe balanced by some revelations about how they helped build the pyramids.

glow

Banned
You won't, as far as Ridley is concerned that had already happened by the time of Prometheus. 2000-odd years before to be precise. The Alien connection is done and dusted, there won't even be xenomorphs in it.

You're going to see Paradise (Heaven), which is actually not paradise (it's Hell!) and the crisis of faith that brings our intrepid Christian scientist space explorer.

Maybe balanced by some revelations about how they helped build the pyramids.

Ah, I thought Paradise was LV426 before the goo broke loose. Thank you for correcting me and the additional info. This movie *might* be interesting, I guess...

W.S.

Lindelof is incapable of thinking on that level, and he wrote the script.

The problems with Prometheus are analogous to the problems with LOST. It sets up a certain expectation of groundedness and then titillates the audience with crazy mysteries that they think surely have an explanation of some kind (but secretly don't), because c'mon, these were regular people on a plane; c'mon, this is an ALIEN movie, the series has made sense so far (in that there's a certain logic behind the things that can and can't happen in it). Repeat 50 times for maximum obfuscation and fan theories.
I don't disagree with you with regards to Lindeloft's writing tendencies not doing Prometheus any favors but despite even all that I do see a bigger story buried underneath which seems to be pointing towards there having been an engineer war.

David will probably having an increasingly prominent role in the sequel and maybe even in Blomkamp's movie as well if they want to tie it in all together. Personally it would make a lot of sense to have him be the person on the other end of the computer screen that talked to Dallas and Ripley in the Alien film (and tangentially Alien 3 even if it becomes non canon).

Coolluck

I'm excited if only for the opportunity for Red Letter Media to talk about it again. Or for ComicBookGirl19 to make another series of videos on it. Besides, I don't think I care much for his other work these days.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Ah, I thought Paradise was LV426 before the goo broke loose. Thank you for correcting me and the additional info. This movie *might* be interesting, I guess...

It will look good at least, expectations set firmly at zero though. This just isn't a direction I think the Alien franchise needed to go in, and it shat itself trying to get there.

Also, when we're starting from this:

Ridley Scott said:
"But if you look at it as an 'our children are misbehaving down there' scenario, there are moments where it looks like we’ve gone out of control, running around with armor and skirts, which of course would be the Roman Empire. And they were given a long run. A thousand years before their disintegration actually started to happen. And you can say, 'Let’s send down one more of our emissaries to see if he can stop it.' Guess what? They crucified him."

... I'm not sure any more of this story of Gods and their creation is a good thing!

Those Romans and their skirts. Ridley better lay off the red wine this time round.

Truant

A re-edit of Prometheus would have made it a decent film.

I don't know why they focused so much on the goo and zombie-Hardy, because the Engineers were actually super creepy and well worthy of being used as proper villains. The deleted scene where Shaw is chased by the Engineer is pretty tense.

W.S.

... I'm not sure any more of the story is going to be a good thing!

Those Romans and their skirts. Ridley better lay off the red wine this time round.
I got the impression that he was putting out an idea with regards to the space jesus approach but I think he ultimately rejected that as being "too on the nose".

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
I got the impression that he was putting out an idea with regards to the space jesus approach but I think he ultimately rejected that as being "too on the nose".

Having a story you feel is worth telling rather than obfuscating would be a definite step-forward for Prometheus 2.

Deck'ard nailed it.

Prometheus isn't just dumb, it's crazy, but not even in a fun way. Lindelof is a hack who does nothing but use Christian symbolism to conceal his complete lack of imagination and depth as a writer.

Having 'mysteries' that are unanswered is not the problem. It's that the mysteries are cheap bullshit, the likes of which you'd see on LOST (surprise, another thing Lindelof was a part of). It's like "omg that was weird, I wonder what that was about!" But in the end it's about nothing. That's why the movie doesn't answer it, because it can't. It's literally nothing. Cram in enough of these "mysteries" and it gives the semblance of depth, or at least some kind of grand, unifying vision behind the movie. But really, it's literally nothing.

Lindelof has figured out that if you throw in 30 or 40 asspulls in a movie, viewers can't completely keep track of them all and will just assume it all checks out somehow.
Brilliantly put. Lindelof is a blight on screenwriting. The worst thing about LOST is that the writers admitted they were making shit up as they went along. If you add Lindelof to any movie this will be the result. There will never be answers and for questions he is forced to answer, there will be a bullshit "its fucking nothing" answer.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
It will look good at least, expectations set firmly at zero though. This just isn't a direction I think the Alien franchise needed to go in, and it shat itself trying to get there.

... I'm not sure any more of this story of Gods and their creation is a good thing!

He actually said that? Holy shit, the man's lost it!

What bugs me about Prometheus 2 is that it's holding back Alien 5 from coming out anytime soon.

Hell, even the story for Alien 5 apparently had to be changed because Ridley Scott didn't want any discrepancies with Prometheus 2. If the guy isn't making it connected to the Alien universe anymore, why the fuck does it even matter?!

Ovid

Speak for yourself. Prometheus was awesome for the art design and cinematography alone. Not to mention Fassbender's performance. I have high expectations for the sequel.
No one is doubting how beautiful the film was. The score and SFX were on point too. The story sucked though.

To me, it doesn't matter how good the acting was or how great it looked.

My expectations for the first one was high. I mean how could it not be after watching this trailer: https://youtu.be/34cEo0VhfGE

Here is the Alien trailer: https://youtu.be/LjLamj-b0I8

I thought this movie was going to be on par with one of the greatest movies ever made and it wasn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom