• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ridley Scott confirms Prometheus 2 is his next film

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gravidee

It looked and sounded great, but the problems lay in the lack of well executed story elements and characterizations which are the foundation of any good movie. A few tweaks here and there would have made for a great movie. But to me, it ended up being mediocre.

Ugh, please no.

I wish this was cancelled outright for Alien 5 (new Alien 3?) to be focused on, Prometheus is a mess everywhere other than aesthetically and composition wise. I have small hope that maybe Scott will make a better film this time but Prometheus didn't inspire much confidence.

inm8num2

I'm lukewarm on Prometheus but am still kind of looking forward to the sequel.

However, Ridley said last year that P2 was unlikely to contain xenomorphs. I have no idea what might have changed since then, if anything at all. Nonetheless I'm half-curious to see where the sequel to the movie that was obviously a prequel despite the writer and director insisting it wasn't a prequel will go.

Erevador

This thread is depressing.

Guess it just demonstrates what a fool's errand it is to make a prequel. People will kill you for it no matter what.

Star Wars Prequels and Hobbit were excruciating, and people justifiably hate them.

Prometheus was amazing compared to those films, but people here still seem to despise it.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I really enjoyed Prometheus even after being taught by the Internet about how logically inconsistent it was. I'm a sucker for any kind of "precursor" tale, so I hope that gets explored more in the next movie.

Erevador

For the people who LOVE Prometheus...did you watch Alien and Aliens prior to seeing this film?
Yes. Have loved Alien for years. Never cared much for Cameron's action packed space marine take on the universe.

I do think it is likely that people who prefer Aliens won't enjoy Prometheus as much as those who prefer Alien.

Rayven

aka surume
For the people who LOVE Prometheus...did you watch Alien and Aliens prior to seeing this film?

I enjoyed it and I've seen all the Alien films.

Helps that the series has never had a fantastic story anyway so my expectations were low in that regard and I enjoyed it for what it was, a beautiful sci-fi film with some epic set pieces. Unlike the Hobbit for example.

Juice

dis gunna be gud

I actually LOVED the first one despite how terrible it was. Loved it even more when the space jesus plot leaked

Monocle

No one is doubting how beautiful the film was. The score and SFX were on point too. The story sucked though.

To me, it doesn't matter how good the acting was or how great it looked.

My expectations for the first one was high. I mean how could it not be after watching this trailer: https://youtu.be/34cEo0VhfGE

Here is the Alien trailer: https://youtu.be/LjLamj-b0I8

I thought this movie was going to be on par with one of the greatest movies ever made and it wasn't.
I understand. I know the story didn't live up to its potential. I really, really enjoy all the things Prometheus did well, though. Come to think of it, I've always been able to appreciate movies, shows, music, and other media in a compartmentalized way, where I hone in on the elements I find appealing and tune out the rest.

Prometheus hit a lot of the right buttons for me. It created this fascinating, absorbing world pervaded by a sense of cosmic horror. With the exception of David, the characters and their silly choices are almost incidental to my personal impression of Prometheus. If it fails as a cohesive film (and I'm not fully convinced it does), it succeeds as a sort of mood piece. I realize that's not enough to satisfy most people. I hope Prometheus 2 will meet the expectations of Alien fans as a full-fledged extension of that universe.

I didn't really hate Prometheus. I was just disappointed at all the wrong turns (pun intended) the movie took. It could really have been the Alien of our time, but as soon as we found out that it was going to get PG-13 rating I knew we were gonna be in for a shaky ride. And then, stupid shit that just didn't make sense as far as the plot was concerned. We were led to believe the engineers were this sage-like fore-bearers of human civilization. When we finally encounter one of them, surprise they're nothing but Generic Movie Monster # 3507857345. Black goo stuff is classic lindelofian mcguffins. They serve no purpose other than to move plot despite tantalizing us as something important to the internal logic. We won't know what the smoke monster in Lost is smoke or why black goo is black goo. It's just there. I was disappointed because of so much wasted opportunity.

Awesome. Hope it ties up the cluster of loose threads from the first one or at least makes some attempt to clear up confusion left by that messy script.

Really wish they'd stuck to the original plan and had Prometheus serve as a direct prequel to Alien rather than a standalone narrative that loosely shared the same universe.

Not

Banned
It'd be intriguing to know more about the humanoid aliens' home planet so if that's the direction they go I'm down for this

The first movie is an idiotic, dumbest possible action-driven, poorly-acted, derivative mess that virtually nobody would defend if Scott's name weren't attached. I'd genuinely call it one of the worst films I've ever seen, with virtually no value on any level, and it boggles my mind that anybody would or even could look forward to a sequel.

The first movie is an idiotic, dumbest possible action-driven, poorly-acted, derivative mess that virtually nobody would defend if Scott's name weren't attached. I'd genuinely call it one of the worst films I've ever seen, with virtually no value on any level, and it boggles my mind that anybody would or even could look forward to a sequel.
Come the fuck on...seriously the worst movie you've ever seen? Worse than MK: Annihilation?

Come the fuck on...seriously the worst movie you've ever seen? Worse than MK: Annihilation?

MK is significantly shorter, has no pretense whatsoever, and might at least be arguable as an entertainingly bad movie. Prometheus is dull, dumb, derivative, overly long, stuffed with cliches, pretentious (and not in a good way, like a Last Year at Marienbad or Persona), nonsensically scripted, has no atmosphere, no memorable performances or characters, bad-looking CG characters, and art design that is like an art student's notebook in comparison to the total mastery on display in Alien and Blade Runner, the movies for which Scott will be remembered. It's just an abysmal, infuriating watch.

i think it's safe to call this one of the worst movies i've seen for sure. it was just a memorably awful theater experience for me.

draetenth

Bleh, Prometheus was terrible and I even went in with very low expectations thanks to reviews. I've had more fun watching the newer SyFy original films than Prometheus. Such an awful cast full of the dumbest geniuses I've ever seen. If they were supposed to represent the brightest scientific minds, we would be so screwed.

Give me the Alien movie.

Dead

well not really...yet
No movie has ever tried as hard to be about something while at the same time ending up being about absolutely nothing at all as bad as Prometheus did.

The term "Beautiful Disaster" has never been more appropriate.

I hope the second movie doesn't have a scene where a lady gets a C-section and immediately afterwards starts moving and running like its the Olympics.

I didn't hate the first film, but it had a lot of idiotic moments.

I would rather see Neil Blomkamp's Alien sequel, than Prometheus II!

For all of its problems Prometheus is much better than Blomkamp's last two movies.

I'm excited about Prometheus 2 and terrified at the idea of Blomkamp's Alien film. Not the good kind of terrified either.

Neo-Alien 3 sounds stupid and weird. Considering how old Weaver and Biehn are. And the last thing the Alien series needs is more Ripley. The actual Alien 3 shouldn't have had Ripley. Or 4. Or a new sequel to Aliens.

br3wnor

Yes, and I love both of them. Alien is much more an 'experience' for me while Aliens feels like Terminator 2 in space. I like them for different reasons, though Alien is a top 3 (my number 2 GOAT) while Aliens is more a top 20ish.

I thought Prometheus was awesome. Story was eh but I didn't really care. The setting was amazing. The music was amazing. The special effects were amazing. The acting was fine with Fasbeender going above and beyond. I watch science-fiction movies to be taken to another world, to experience something, that because I was born 1,000 years too early, I'll never partake in myself. So when I get a science fiction movie that hits on all cylinders BUT story, I'm still very happy w/ the finished product. But that's me, Sci-Fi is my holy grail, I'm easily pleased.

I don't "love" Prometheus, but yes. I love Alien and like Aliens a lot. I wouldn't put Prometheus above either, but I genuinely found its world to be interesting and the Engineers to be interesting characters that I wanted to find out more about. The origin of Man is an interesting idea I'm looking forward to exploring more in Prometheus 2 hopefully.

All of the main issues with Prometheus for me came in terms of lazy plot devices. If these are fixed in P2 then I think it'll be solid.

W.S.

The protagonist is Christian.
The film takes place over Christmas.
Our creators wanted to wipe us out 'around 2000 years ago'.

I wonder what prompted that after spending 4 billion years creating us?

Yep, it's Space Jesus! And now Shaw's off to find Heaven.
The religious allegory is obviously there but I doubt that the space Jesus explanation will be the actual reason why the engineers decided to destroy humanity. That interview laid out a scenario where it can be viewed in a certain light but I think it's more likely that the engineers that seeded life at the beginning of the film were a different sect of engineers from the biomechanical ones we saw in the installation perhaps indicating a schism within their beliefs.

I didn't really hate Prometheus. I was just disappointed at all the wrong turns (pun intended) the movie took. It could really have been the Alien of our time, but as soon as we found out that it was going to get PG-13 rating I knew we were gonna be in for a shaky ride. And then, stupid shit that just didn't make sense as far as the plot was concerned. We were led to believe the engineers were this sage-like fore-bearers of human civilization. When we finally encounter one of them, surprise they're nothing but Generic Movie Monster # 3507857345. Black goo stuff is classic lindelofian mcguffins. They serve no purpose other than to move plot despite tantalizing us as something important to the internal logic. We won't know what the smoke monster in Lost is smoke or why black goo is black goo. It's just there. I was disappointed because of so much wasted opportunity.
It was rated R, it had a good bit of gore.

Because for the first few months of the film's existence he ate almost the entirety of the shit being shoveled back at the movie.

It wasn't until the blu-ray came out that people began to realize Ridley Scott way more at fault for why the movie played the way it did.

But by then it didn't really matter.

Basically - the money isn't good enough to go diving headfirst under that bus again.

Because for the first few months of the film's existence he ate almost the entirety of the shit being shoveled back at the movie.

It wasn't until the blu-ray came out that people began to realize Ridley Scott way more at fault for why the movie played the way it did.

But by then it didn't really matter.

Basically - the money isn't good enough to go diving headfirst under that bus again.

I remember that. Typical fanboy shit, take blame off the obviously responsible party (in this case, the film's director, one with a pretty spotty record of quality tbh) and try to shift it onto an easy scapegoat.

I remember that. Typical fanboy shit, take blame off the obviously responsible party (in this case, the film's director, one with a pretty spotty record of quality tbh) and try to shift it onto an easy scapegoat.

To be fair - there's a reason he's an easy scapegoat. And he did fuck that script up from Spaihts draft. But then again, that's what he was hired to do: Translate Ridley's bad ideas into script form, and blend them with Spaihts' mostly solid ideas for a direct ALIEN prequel.

But I do understand why people see his name and immediately get sketched out at the prospect of the film's quality. It's just that on Prometheus - he wasn't the real problem.

nice tag, bobby.

Didn't even have to leave my armchair!

To be fair - there's a reason he's an easy scapegoat. And he did fuck that script up from Spaihts draft. But then again, that's what he was hired to do: Translate Ridley's bad ideas into script form, and blend them with Spaihts' mostly solid ideas for a direct ALIEN prequel.

But I do understand why people see his name and immediately get sketched out at the prospect of the film's quality. It's just that on Prometheus - he wasn't the real problem.

Lindelof sucks, but people should have enough perspective to realize that Scott isn't some first-time director being pressured into anything by clueless studio big-wigs. He's a veteran director with a lot of successes and a LOT of pull, and if something made it to the final film, it's because he wanted it there, plain and simple.

All the problems of Promethus are explained on the 4 hour documentary on the bluray. All stems around Scott loving wine and being very amenable to whatever changes anyone suggested at any time, which means David Lindelof just threw shit out there and Ridley went along with it.

It all starts with, "I had this great idea..." for a story/scene/prop/set/whatever, and someone saying, "What if we did this..." and Ridley saying, "Sure" and then shutting down the day for wine tasting.

You know Ridley and Terry Rawlings drank martinis while editing the original Alien. I don't think enjoying liquor during the creative process is a new thing with Ridley Scott.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom