• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ridley Scott confirms Prometheus 2 is his next film

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bradach

I didn't always understand what was happening in the first one but visually it was delicious.

Sign me up for number 2

Busty

Banned
Prometheus made over $400 million world wide and Dredd made $35 million. It's not even close. People enjoy different things.

People enjoy terrible films?

Was that Fox's business plan for this year's Fantastic Four film?

What went wrong with that?

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Sometimes I don't mind having questions at the end of a movie, I like having some things left to my imagination. All of those are valid questions but I don't really get hung up on them when watching films. Why did the engineers create the weaponized bio-weapon goop? I don't know, maybe they were at war with some other species millions of years ago. Maybe it reacts differently for each person given their own individual DNA makeup. These questions don't really take away from the movie for me, it's just a mystery that maybe I'll learn about in the future. I just thought it was enjoyable seeing the origins of things, regardless of all the questions surrounding them.

Yeah, i'm sorta the same way. I don't need every question answered to enjoy a movie/story. Some things are just better left to the imagination.

Completely agree with the bolded, and in fact I think some of the best films ever made leave a lot to the imagination. But there's a degree of skill involved in knowing what to reveal and what not, and in revealing enough but not too much. The original Alien is an excellent example of such skill.

But if Prometheus was intended to be an origin story then I would have expected some questions to be answered.. and I can't say for sure if any meaningful question was actually answered at all.

Did the engineers create the xenomorphs? According to the film they were basically created by a freak accident... How did we get from that one xenomorph seen at the end (stranded on the planet) to a different engineer ship full of eggs? Not a clue... Is there even a connection between what happened in the Prometheus planet and what we see in the beginning of Alien? No idea.

aerts1js

Completely agree with the bolded, and in fact I think some of the best films ever made leave a lot to the imagination. But there's a degree of skill involved in knowing what to reveal and what not, and in revealing enough but not too much. The original Alien is an excellent example of such skill.

But if Prometheus was intended to be an origin story then I would have expected some questions to be answered.. and I can't say for sure if any meaningful question was actually answered at all.

Did the engineers create the xenomorphs? According to the film they were basically created by a freak accident... How did we get from that one xenomorph seen at the end (stranded on the planet) to a different engineer ship full of eggs? Not a clue... Is there even a connection between what happened in the Prometheus planet and what we see in the beginning of Alien? No idea.

Yeah, I agree. The problem with Prometheus is that it felt like nothing was answered but I'm still willing to give the sequel a chance since there's a new writer involved.

Erevador

It is an incredibly stupid film.

Engineers seed life billions of years ago, watch over us, invite us to a planet for no apparent reason where events which should be a prequel but are a different planet so that's ok play out, where a religious scientist discovers over Christmas that our creators hate us and wanted to kill us for crucifying Space Jesus, encounters a half-size Space Jockey who's not a space elephant but actually a half-sized albino with anger-management issues and a fake trunk attachment, but heads off to Paradise to find more answers anyway with her severed robot head.

Amazing, only time will be able to do this one justice.
That's a pretty superficial rendering of what the film is about. Most of it is shrouded in a good deal of mystery, the stuff about crucifying Space Jesus is playfully suggested, but that's it. We get the sense the engineers have been pivotal part of our entire history, but their role in it is largely left mysterious.

Most of the film is spent in a state of great unease trying to get a handle on the elusive nature of the powers being dealt with. I can understand why this is irritating to people who want specific answers, but I respected the way in which the film was comfortable in being willing to SUGGEST rather than SAY. Like a lot of science fiction I enjoy, I felt that gave me an opportunity to have my own thoughts and theories,

The film reminded me a great deal of Arthur C. Clarke. It is an unusual kind of sci-fi to be made in the current era.

I thought it was incredibly refreshing.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
I thought the first one was pretty decent so I'm down with this.

Same, the whole idea of exploring a dead world previously inhabited by our ancestors was incredibly interesting.

The story could have been told better, but the movie looked beautiful.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
That's a pretty superficial rendering of what the film is about. Most of it is shrouded in a good deal of mystery, the stuff about crucifying Space Jesus is playfully suggested, but that's it. We get the sense the engineers have been pivotal part of our entire history, but their role in it is largely left mysterious.

Most of the film is spent in a state of great unease trying to get a handle on the elusive nature of the powers being dealt with. I can understand why this is irritating to people who want specific answers, but I respected the way in which the film was comfortable in being willing to SUGGEST rather than SAY. Like a lot of science fiction I enjoy, I felt that gave me an opportunity to have my own thoughts and theories,

The film reminded me a great deal of Arthur C. Clarke. It is an unusual kind of sci-fi to be made in the current era.

I thought it was incredibly refreshing.

That's because Prometheus is incredibly superficial; a very pretty but completely lacking exploration of things which didn't need to be asked with answers that are too dumb to give.

It's History Channel level.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Yeah, I agree. The problem with Prometheus is that it felt like nothing was answered but I'm still willing to give the sequel a chance since there's a new writer involved.

I could add that to me as a viewer, the pervasive religious elements (especially those incorporated into the character of the main protagonist) served to strongly reinforce the feeling that this film was an intentional sham. Maybe in Scott's opinion this is the film's genius? I don't know...

Busty

Banned
That's because Prometheus is incredibly superficial; a very pretty but completely lacking exploration of things which didn't need to be asked with answers that are too dumb to give.

It's History Channel level.

*hugs DECK'ARD*

It was getting lonely in here.

I loved Prometheus so much. I can't wait to see what the sequel ends up being.

Terrible.

It will end up being terrible.

IISANDERII

Prometheus Pros:

Gorgeous looking
Kinda Scary
Lawrence of Arabia
Interesting origin premise

Prometheus Cons:

FATHER!
Alien Dude (complete lack of) Explanation
Snake Idiot
Guy who isn't on the spaceship to make friends

If I could be bothered I'd edit a version with an easy fix. Lawrence talks to the Alien dude, explaining in captions that he's a robit. The Alien dude is all like, "What!? we hate robits and computers and artificial life because all our technology is based on real life like we keep in these dangerous jars" Then goes HAM.
You forgot the music. Prometheus' score was brilliant, the best since Tron I think.

Erevador

I could add that to me as a viewer, the pervasive religious elements (especially those incorporated into the character of the main protagonist) served to strongly reinforce the feeling that this film was an intentional sham. Maybe in Scott's opinion this is the film's genius? I don't know...
In my opinion, Shaw is religious in order to really show how de-stabilizing it is to a human being to have their sense of existence challenged.

Various religions have invented origin stories in order to explain our place in the universe. Meeting our TRUE creators completely disturbs that sense of equilibrium. I thought the film's treatment of these themes was actually rather nuanced. It is clear that the Engineers have been a part of the beliefs of numerous culture throughout history (which is why David is learning ancient dead languages to communicate with them).

Scott is an atheist, who has explored religion with nuance before (in Kingdom of Heaven).

I think Prometheus is actually an interesting film with some big themes that are fun to discuss. I think it is unfortunate when we miss out on the opportunity to dive into that because people simply state they found the film to be "dumb."

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
In fact I think I'll go with this new theory. The stupidly religious scientists going to great lengths to seek answers that only leave them confused infuriated and disappointed are an allegory for the Alien audience, and possibly for blockbuster film franchise audiences in general.

Weyland's character is an allegory for the director selfishly seeking immortality through his cinematic work, and purposefully exploiting his audience in the process.

In my opinion, Shaw is religious in order to really show how de-stabilizing it is to a human being to have their sense of existence challenged.

Various religions have invented origin stories in order to explain our place in the universe. Meeting our TRUE creators completely disturbs that sense of equilibrium. I thought the film's treatment of these themes was actually rather nuanced. It is clear that the Engineers have been a part of the beliefs of numerous culture throughout history (which is why David is learning ancient dead languages to communicate with them).

Scott is an atheist, who has explored religion with nuance before (in Kingdom of Heaven).

I think Prometheus is actually an interesting film with some big themes that are fun to discuss. I think it is unfortunate when we miss out on the opportunity to dive into that because people simply state they found the film to be "dumb."

Can't say I found the slightest bit of nuance in Scott's exploration of the religious psyche in this film. If anything it felt like he was mocking the viewer.

O.DOGG

That's great news. I didn't like the original when I first saw it but it was much better on second and third viewing. Such a beautiful movie. I want more of that.

Window

I think Prometheus works better as a companion to Blade Runner than Alien. David's character is where the story works best. The alien is just kind of there because...
It's odd however, the humans are essentially confronted with a situation which an AI/David faces, they have a known creator who is ambivalent about its creation. You (at least I did) empathize with David because of this. This is just one aspect of the whole God/creator/humans/AI story going on with David and although the idea of an alien god may seem like History channel fluff, I think it serves as an interesting launching pad to the other ideas. The horror trappings don't work well I don't think however the abortion scene was very uncomfortable to watch.

R8TEDM3

You forgot the music. Prometheus' score was brilliant, the best since Tron I think.

Score was very good in both of those movies you mentioned no doubt, but have you watched Interstellar?

Now that some kick ass film score right there, probably the BEST I've ever heard!

zeemumu

The problem that I had with the first movie is that it tried to leave too much up to speculation, and the physics of the world and motivations of the characters are unclear. If they clean up the story then I'll be fine with a sequel.

Very excited and glad it's finally confirmed. I had problems with the first one but still found it mostly good, sometimes great. The next one can be an improvement.

KodaRuss

It will be interesting to see where they take it from here and how they will get more humans introduced with Shaw and David. Since they are the only two alive and David is just a head at the moment (I guess they saved his body too? I don't remember).

If they do not involve more humans it will just be the Shaw and David show getting searching and finding the engineers. Hopefully their second conversation goes a little better than the first...

Santar

Well, this sequel might be better than the first one because of Damon fucking Lindelof.

And by the way, he's not returning to write the sequel.
Prometheus turned out the way it did because of Scott not Lindelof.

In a interview Lindelof explained that Ridley changed a lot of things during work on the move. And basically said when Ridley says I want to do this, you don't say no.

I mean, the first one had a ton of promise. Just a few impossibly frustrating mistakes in the screen writing. Nothing that can't be fixed. It was close to being exceptional. Those couple of fuck ups led to it being forgettable. So here's to Ridley starting and finishing strongly this time around.

MNC

I felt that keeping the full engineer reveal for around the halfway mark would be so much better than beginning.

jett

D-Member
Even if it's terrible, I'll probably end up seeing it anyway out of morbid curiosity. It's a movie starring Fassbender's severed head. That's a thing that's gonna happen.

fushi

Prometheus was an absolutely gorgeous and infuriatingly idiotic film. It destroyed what little goodwill I had left for Scott.

JeTmAn81

The first one was really disappointing and yet it made me want to see a sequel anyway. Just still chasing that possibility of a third great Alien movie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom